Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The March to Ajhfeld

Started by visualspice, February 24, 2014, 02:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked Basket

"You really are a glass half empty kind of person, aren't you?"

Jacen reached into his bag and pulled out a lead ball. Lead was a very soft metal and Jacen knew of guys who had used lead to write with. It worked best if the lead had a point on it, but they didn't have that luxury at the moment. Maybe if he borrowed a whetstone or was able to flatten it somehow.

Jacen held it out to Igna.

"I know a couple guys who have written letters with lead. Want to give it a try? I don't guarantee neatness though, even with my smooth back."

visualspice

Igna wasn't even sure how she was to respond to that, so she kept her lips closed, cheeks burning.
She simply turned away when she got the nerve to tell him, "I'm just being realistic."
Though even still, he was right. Maybe they wouldnt dare trek through such weather. But she had a hunch they would. And how do you explain a hunch without sounding crazy? Sighing, she went to move away from him when he offered her some lead. She blinked and peered down at it. And in spite of her self, she suddenly laughed.
"Don't you mean your lumpy back?" She still wasn't convinced the idea was all that good but, it did get her to at least laugh. Though that could also be from nerves.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Wicked Basket

Jacen reached behind himself and rubbed his back with his hand.

"My back isn't lumpy," he said with a pout. "You're just jealous because my back is smoother than yours."

Jacen didn't think he would ever here her laugh. It was a wonderful thing to hear given the situation they were in. Maybe he could get her to laugh again.

visualspice

"I'm not buying it. Even my own back is a bit tense and knotted from carrying all of this stuff. But I suppose I'll get used to this." And she paused a moment to rub at her shoulder and neck. "And the way we have to sleep on the road... I'm still not accustomed to it. I feel all tense." Which definitely did not help her apprehensions about this situation at all.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Wicked Basket

"Yeah, but look on the bright side. Once you get back home, your bed feels even more comfortable by comparison."

visualspice

Igna gave a snort of a laugh through her nose and then peered down at the lead in her hand then looked over at Jacen.
"Maybe I should try writing this later." When she wasn't so... well, frazzled.

Wicked Basket

Jacen couldn't help but smile. Being able to bring a smile to someone's face instead of death during this wretched war meant a lot. It was moments like this that reminded him that he was still human and not just some killing machine. He would definitely have to spend some time with Igna again after this was all over, whenever that would be.

visualspice

"Don't smile about it!" But she was smiling too. "Besides, it's because your back is too lumpy. So don't get any ideas. Perhaps if I find someplace better to write..." and she moved to turn away from him, tucking away the paper and lead ball into her pocket before she paused in mid turn to peer back at him.
"Oh, but thanks. For the lead anyway." And she gave him a smirk and returned to readjusting her coat, just as a heavy, chilling breeze blew past.

Wicked Basket

"My pleasure," he replied with a smile that was still quite evident.

Jacen would definitely have to find her again when this was all over. Not only did he owe her something to eat, but he managed to get her smiling and even laughing despite the situation they found themselves in. Jacen wondered what talking to her during a time of peace would be like. Would she laugh and smile even more? There was only one way to find out, and Jacen was looking forward to it.

Slightly Awkward New Guy

Under the cover of the weather, a man... flew? Yes, it seemed he was flying into the area. All around him were large numbers of weapons. Swords, knives, spears, axes, even bows and arrows, all within ten feet of him and closely packed in. He landed, and made his way to some random NPC.

"Where can I find whoever is in charge? I have a delivery." The man directed him to go to Blaith, though he might be hard to find. Sighing, Alex went on his way, weapons still around him, only enough room for him to see and talk. He made his way around,and saw a woman and a man conversing. He went up to them, and announced himself.

"Hello there! Would either of you know where to find the Duke, or where I could deliver these? They're all enchanted to be a bit tougher and to set fire to things they hit. I don't know if the fire will last if it storms tomorrow, but it'll do something! Still, these are kind of taking on me, so if you could help..." He trailed off a bit sheepishly. Carrying all of this for so many hours had made him feel kind of numb. He didn't know how much longer he'd last.

visualspice

OOC: Just a suggestion, but since the game is conducted more like a story than DnD or a video game, Id' be more realistic to label an 'npc' as a 'random person' as, at least to me, it seems to break the third wall and take the reader/ writer out of the story too much to give misc. characters technical names rather than proper labels :)

-----

Something moved over head and caught Igna's attention, she had almost missed it but found her lips falling open. She had never seen magic work in such a way, and considering there were no mordecai for miles, it seemed to make sense that one could freely use such a thing. But either way, it was almost askign for trouble, to use magic openly, even in the wilds of Connlaoth- who knows what wrong eyes could see her. And she found herself instinctively moving closer to Jacen for it, no realizing that she was a bit fearful of what this man's presence seemed to mean, but when he landed and begn to converse with some of the other soldiers and hired hands, she found herself almost unable to swallow the knot in her throat.

"Did you see that?" she asked Jacen. "That man... he just... flew."
And before she could even hear what the man had to saw, Alex was approaching them and Igna found herself staring- and only staring, not speaking before she realized that he had spoke.

"You're... here for the duke?" she asked lamely, still just sort of staring at the man, gaping. But she moved to collect herself, mving uneasily from where she stood and stole a glance towards Jacen, wondering what he thought of all of this.

Slightly Awkward New Guy

((I had only done that as a small joke, but I'll remember that for the future. xD))

Alex saw the look on her face and internally sighed. He rarely had the opportunity to do much with his skills, and knew this was a big risk. Still, time was of the essence, and flying was much faster than walking. So he did. Still, he replied, an easy smile still on his face despite the staring, "The Duke or whoever controls the Armory. These weapons are pretty heavy, and I've been out for many hours."

He wasn't trying to be rude, but he was very tired. He didn't know that he could be put under such a strain, but apparently he could from overusing his talents. He had so many weapons around him, all controlled by his ability, plus flying for so long... Well, he was about to collapse under the strain, and if he collapsed with all these weapons... Well, he might die if they landed on him and cut him open.

Wicked Basket

"He did indeed," Jacen confirmed. "But after you've hung around a bunch of mages as much as I have not many things surprise you anymore."

When the mysterious flying man came down to ask about the whereabouts of the Duke, Jacen decided to let Igna handle the situation. It could be entertaining.

visualspice

OOC: Ah XD sometimes those things are hard to translate in text :)

----

Igna examined the man a moment before glancing over to Jacen again.
"I could take you to him, but I'm not sure how well received your presence will be if you're not expected." She was sure the Duke wouldn't appreciate surprises of his own, considering he was trying to hide an entire army before showing up on the Duke of Ajhfeld's door step. But seeing how the man was carrying an array of weapons, she new something like this was evidently valuable, and certainly someone could not booby trap weapons... right? Because she'd hate to be the one to lead the Horse in that broke Troy.

Slightly Awkward New Guy

Alex nods his head and explained amicably, "He's the one who commissioned me for weapons. They're not the best quality weapons out there, but like I said, they're enchanted to last longer than the average blade. The enchantments will have to wear down before they chip and dull, and the all can set things on fire when they strike, though it has to be flammable. It's a bit grisly, but it works. Some of the arrows are special too. But I'm afraid I'll have to explain that to the Duke." Alex finished his monologue with an easy smile. He was trying to keep in good spirits despite that there was about to be a brutal battle and the tools he created would shortly be used to kill countless numbers.

Now, he was just waiting to be led. He'd deposit most of the weapons safely on the floor outside, and only take in one example of each. He didn't want them to get the wrong idea, after all.

visualspice

Igna hesitated, still obviously uncertain over the man's claims. But glancing once over to Jacen, she gestured for  the new guy to follow, but she was wary of.him with each step. By the time she reached the Duke's camp, she wasn't quite sure if she ought to personally approach him, but it seemed she had little choice. Clearing her throat, she managed to get his attention. When heglanced her way, she bowed her head.
"Duke Harmond, this man has approached me claiming he has enchanted weapons you requested."

At first the duke regarded them with mild scrutiny, but them his lips curled up into a toothy smile as he told the man, "You're late."

Slightly Awkward New Guy

With the weapons all just outside the tent, and Alex by the door, free from it all, he bowed at the waist. He wasn't worried about being late. If the Duke decided he didn't want to pay for the weapons because he was a bit late trying to avoid being spotted, than he'd just take his stuff and leave. Still, he was always polite, and responded, "My apologies, Duke Harmond." The man didn't ask for an excuse, so one wasn't provided, "However, I have everything you ordered. Flaming weapons, enchanted to not dull as quickly and be sturdier, tougher shields, and arrows that explode, release electrical charges to stun and a few that, well, are a bit more complicated. One of those arrows feed off of the natural energies of the land and create phantom copies, about 20 per arrow to hit surrounding targets. I have 100 arrows of each, as well as many more normal ones. Other than that, there are swords, shields, spears and axes." After that, he fell silent.

visualspice

The duke's eyes shone like twin flames, and the grin stretching across his lips show cased he was very pleased.
"Yes, come, we have two wagons over here we can disperse the weapons through. But dare I ask, and do not take offense, that I should see these enchanted weapons at work?" ANd here he gestured towards Igna.
"You two could have a test battle." And he stared between the two expectantly, but also amused.

But while the Duke seemed to be taking joy in this spontaneous moment, Igna could only gape as she stared from the weapon's smith to the duke.
"My duke?" she inquired, blinkingly. But the only reply she got was a nod as she blinked again and turned to Alex. Did he honestly wish for the two to fight?

Slightly Awkward New Guy

A grimace crossed the face of the man. He was no warrior. Sure, he could swing a sword, and if he cheated, shoot a bow, but he wasn't a warrior. And while he had no problems making weapons for the resistance, he knew he could not fight in it. Alex may have been a simple man, but he could tell what was to come from this. He didn't mind the man wanting to test his weapons, but Alex would lose if he fought this seasoned warrior woman. He simply was not skilled enough to take her on in combat. Well, fair combat, anyway. He could use his powers to win in a one-on-one confrontation, but he really didn't like to fight. He knew his creations would spawn bloodshed, but he wanted no part in dealing it out.

Still, could he refuse this man? He was a Duke, after all.  Well, Alex wouldn't go against his morals. He shook his head firmly, "I'm afraid I'm not the man you need to test these out. I'm no fighter, after all. I have no training, nor am I cut out for it. I'm just a black smith, sir. My apologies." He bowed, though he kept his eyes on the Duke.

visualspice

Duke Harmond could not help himself but laugh, and where Igna was nearby, standing at attention, even in her stance she visibly flinched from her Duke's reaction. Laughter? She moved only but her eyes to catch him, and the mirth there seemed almost maddening.

"This is not a fight to the death," the Duke reassured the other man, a gloved and resting upon his shoulder. "I just want to see how these things work out. You'll understand. I'm sure you had to test them out somehow. Just use this woman here as your test opponent, and show me what sorts of secret magics these goods can contain."

And he took a step back, his heavy cloak dragging in the snow as he paused just beside a pine tree, laden heavy with thick, wet snow. His blue eyes pierced out through the grey shadows as he raised a hand, saying nothing, fully expecting the pair to proceed.

Igna discretely drew in a breath and lead her eyes away from her duke and over to her knew opponent, and silently, she waited for him to begin.