Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Kleine Photo Studio

Started by kleineklementine, March 26, 2014, 04:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

So since I can't draw or paint or all the lovely artsy things you folks do, but I DO frequently get to go to beautiful places that leave me thinking, "This would be such a great setting for a [fantasy?] story!!!" I thought I'd share some of my photos of those places.

So here are a totally random assortment of photos I've taken over the last eight+ years of places I find inspirational... or maybe even a little SotE-ish.

Disclaimer: Almost all of these are places I've gone for "work"/school. I'm not just some rich jet-setter or something. >.>

Second disclaimer/PSA: (Especially for the kiddos) While getting to go all over the world for "work" is fun, whatever you do, don't become an academic! It may seem glamorous or appealing, but it's a trap! In the end, you'll just end up 40, overeducated, and unemployable. I've already started honing my hunting and gathering skills for when I finish and have to live wild off the land because, you know, there aren't actually jobs.

visualspice

Oh, wow. Those pictures ARE gorgeous. I think I'd be okay with being in debt forever if I got to take pictures of that!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

zozee9

These are gorgeous. *_* I wanna visit all of these places. <3
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Winters-Feather

aw, man, i'm jealous. your composition is so keen XD some of these are kinda narnian, aren't they? the lion door knock ( i love that one ><) and the lamp?

what sort of focus and lens did you use for this one? trying to learn more about these things.. i figure i need a solid understanding of these things in the field i wanna go in, though i wont be handling cameras (as far as i know lol)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oaLR80uc1bQ/UzKsEaYV_-I/AAAAAAAABgw/6mO8Va142c4/w769-h577-no/IMG_0859.JPG

kleineklementine

Actually! All of these photos were taken with a fixed-lens camera. Most (probably including that photo, but I honestly don't remember) were taken with a Canon Powershot SX10 IS. Some, especially photos taken while hiking (Sweden, Nepal), were taken with a Canon Powershot SX210 IS. I really like the Powershot SX10 (I've never used the most recent version); it's really versatile.

I recently inherited my grandfather's old EOS-1 and took it on holiday with just one lens (50 mm prime), because I'm lazy and don't like to carry lots of things around. And the EOS-1 body is already pretty heavy. While I love shooting with the big, nice camera and such a fast lens (f 1.4), there were lots of times I wished I had my point-and-shoot to take the photo that I wanted. (I specifically didn't bring it, though, because I had already been to and taken roughly 1,000 photos of Prague before this trip). Especially the macro on the Canon bridge cameras is really good (as opposed to investing another 300+ EUR in a macro lens, etc.) and I think I read that the SX50 HS can focus on objects less than 1 cm away. (!!!!!!)

Anyway, the EOS-1 is my first SLR, so I'm just learning really how to think more about exposure. Especially since it's a film camera and every shot needs to be worth it! :D  I'll add some of the EOS-1 shots once I invest in a negative scanner...

[End long rambly post about cameras!]

Edit: Just kidding, that photo was taken with the SX10. Also! Some of the Narnia-themes are not accidental. The building in the photo you linked to, actually, always makes me think of the house the wizard's house in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. And obviously when I came across the lamppost in the snow-covered forest, I had to photograph it.

Winters-Feather

OH the 1D? lucky xO My equipment room has  a couple of those. They get the job done lol. It's more on  your lens and especially your lighting, i feel.  and yeah even if the camera body is decently small, the lens just makes it super heavy.. and then you add the rigs... lol.

And less than a cm? whoa. I have.. *cant find my point and click DERP* but that's really impressive O.o

kleineklementine

Quote from: Winters-Feather on May 30, 2014, 12:31:13 PM
OH the 1D? lucky xO My equipment room has  a couple of those. They get the job done lol.

Nope! Just the EOS-1. From 1991. (Which I imagine makes my camera older than @zozee9 ! :D) I have to say, I like the delayed gratification of film, but the learning curve is a bit more expensive. >.> Next step: convince my girlfriend I can convert some part of a [future] apartment into a darkroom!

Quote from: Winters-Feather on May 30, 2014, 12:31:13 PM
And less than a cm? whoa. I have.. *cant find my point and click DERP* but that's really impressive O.o

Right?! Both of my digital cameras are on the outs and I can't decide if I want to get the SX50 or invest in a macro lens... But since I can't imagine lugging the big, old, heavy SLR around backpacking, I'll probably go with the SX50.  ;D

zozee9

Muahaha I'm even younger than a camera! xD
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

kleineklementine

Here are some more photos from my recent trip to Dresden and Prague! Check them out if you're interested. They're all taken with my grandfather's old film cameras, and these are scans of the negatives. (I obviously still need some practice with both the camera and the scanner, but anyway!)

visualspice

oh wow, these photos are gorgeous!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

zozee9

I really like the aperture of that first photo. And some of those monuments are absolutely beautiful. *_* Great job, Klei! <3

kleineklementine

Quote from: zozee9 on June 17, 2014, 05:34:04 AM
I really like the aperture of that first photo. And some of those monuments are absolutely beautiful. *_* Great job, Klei! <3

Thanks, Zoz! Yeah, I got a 50 mm fast lens (f/1.4) and I think I probably went a bit overboard with it on this trip. :D

kleineklementine

The film scanning continues! A handful of photos from around Berlin (where I live) and a few from a recent conference in Vienna. More scans of negatives.

kleineklementine

So this past weekend I made the last-minute decision to get out of Berlin and go hike in the Elbe Sandstone Mountains (Sächsicher Schweiz) and took a couple of photos. They're taken with a somewhat busted digital camera (you can see the lens scratch in some of the photos) but I thought the landscape and villages were very "SotE-like" so I thought I'd share. (Sample below!) :)

kleineklementine

Some photos from my recent trip to N. Ireland... mostly spent at my inlaws' place, but I escaped to the sea for one day! Anyways, these made me think of SotE.

Black and white ones are film, color is digital. The rest are here!

Anadwen

you're an awesome photographer, Kleine. you take incredible landscapes... you got an 'eye' for it as I'd say - you can see what's interesting in the picture. I'd love to see you work this way with a DSLR  camera *_*

sincerely, a fellow photographer (yeah, really, but a lazy one)

kleineklementine

Quote from: Anadwen on August 30, 2014, 07:05:08 AM
you're an awesome photographer, Kleine. you take incredible landscapes... you got an 'eye' for it as I'd say - you can see what's interesting in the picture. I'd love to see you work this way with a DSLR  camera *_*

sincerely, a fellow photographer (yeah, really, but a lazy one)

Thanks! Yes, my camera is just an _SLR. :D Inherited from my grandfather. I keep vaguely thinking about getting a digital body since my SLR is thankfully the same lens mount as the current Canon cameras, but I'm a poor PhD student, so too bad for me!

I need to make prints and then scan them... The prints always look nicer than the scans of the negatives.

kleineklementine

More photos from around my city...

The rest are here!

kleineklementine

I told myself I was going to edit these photos more before posting them here (now that I finally got a camera that shoots in RAW - so much more work!). But as I haven't actually done that, here we go anyway!

These are some photos I took during a recent - and super short! - trip to Venice. I have to say, it was just as beautiful or more than all the hype it gets! Here is the entire album. A few select shots below. :)

visualspice

So pretty! My cousin was in Venice yesterday. I believe she's doing like a European tour sorta thing so she'll be hopping around. And I'll have to post my Prague photos when I get a chance (but there's seriously like THOUSANDS of them) so one day >_>