Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

House of Thorns [open/PM to join!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 16, 2014, 12:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

You know a hare won't be enough, the voice whispered in Sadb's ear, lover-close, as she pulled the dead rabbit free of the thorny vines that had entangled it, the vines shifting and uncoiling like a living thing by her command. Sadb grit her teeth. The fae didn't have to remind her. It had been months since a person had visited her house of thorns, and she could feel the fae growing restless, dissatisfied with animal tributes and her own meager blood offerings. The thorns were growing thirsty.

"You said animal was enough."

I did, the fae answered, but I've grown bored.

Sadb felt like throwing the rabbit, if there was anything to throw it at--and if it wouldn't damage the pelt. Instead, she just held it by the ears and headed, stiff-backed, outside, the vines parting as she walked to allow her passage as she traveled through the labyrinth of her creation. "Bored, hm?"

Yes. You're boring. You've been very boring lately. Sometimes, it was easy to forget the fae was ancient and dangerous when she took such a petulant tone. You haven't visited any villages in aaages! And no one's come to visit us! Animal just isn't the same. It's not as rich. If you don't snare a human soon, you may soon be snared instead.

And the vines closed in around Sadb then, swinging down to block her passage and pressing in until she could feel the prick of thorns through her clothes. And though Sadb's breath caught, her heart leaping as a chill went through her, she swallowed down her fear and made a point of rolling her eyes. Fae were like animals; they smelled fear.

"Don't be so dramatic. I get it, trust me," she said, and with a flick of her hand the vines receded and she ducked on through the passage and into the bright light of day. "You need to learn a little patience, you know."

I've been patient, and it's been months, the fae pouted. I want human this month. And this month I will get it. And then, just like that, Sadb felt it as the fae receded from her mind and went off to wherever it was she went, leaving her, for a moment at least, in peace.

With a relieved sigh, to have her mind to herself, Sadb went to her fire pit--which was empty--and sat down beside it where she could work on gutting and skinning and cooking the rabbit. Its fur had gotten a little too damaged from the thorns to be worth salvaging, she found, but its meat would still be good. About the one good thing about the fae was she never hungered; her thorns sprouted blossoms, and the sweet smell attracted animals. There was never a shortage of beasts killed in the vines.

And as she worked, she found the rabbit was, like all other creatures killed there, bloodless.

Even though she had grown accustomed to it, it was still as eerie as the first time she'd realized it.

With the animal skinned and gutted, Sadb rose to her feet and walked the short distance to the stream to clean her knife and hands, her fingers growing numb against the cold water.  It was a beautiful day, the wind constant but not so biting, the sun warm, the land rich and green. And yet, here she was. Just another day nursing a bloodthirsty fae.

Just another day both hoping for another person to come on by, and wishing they would stay away.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Cronowind

(( OOC: You said on the recruitment page that some had been slain by her thorns. I thought i'd add that to my post. ))

Dahlia hated Connlaoth. That was simply the fact of her situation. She hated the country she was traveling. It had been several months since she had left her motherland of Thanatos on her quest. Her quest? Well, it had seemed simple to her. Prove to herself she was to become worthy for her sword so it would accept her. The spirits of her ancestors needed to accept her. That way her blade could become the greatest weapon on earth--yet that required great deeds.

That involved a lot of wandering and doing things for no reason other than the fact she wanted to do them. She had to champion causes. That also involved having to protect her honor against a few males that thought she hadn't been worthy of the swords she carried. She hadn't killed them, for that would have been wrong. But they accepted defeat and ran, so that was enough to let them off. Granted she assumed she couldn't go back to that village anytime soon, as she possibly had a guard or two wanting to talk to her about a wound and a broken pride.

But her visit to that walled village wasn't all for not. She had spent a few copper coins on a tankard of ale and a few quick conversations with a bartender who found her exotic and she had gotten all the new rumors of the surrounding area. She heard of a few rumors. An old dungeon with artifacts of great power, a wild dragon to the north and very nearby there had been a mankilling witch with the power over nature.

The usual she supposed.

She had fought and slew one dragon and it had been costly, she did not relish the idea of hunting down another one to die pointlessly. She suspected the rumor of the dungeon filled with treasure to be a load of crap. So there was a possible witch? She had no doubt there was a potential reward for her head on a pike. But as it stood... She hated Connlaoth for two reasons.

They thought innocent people were evil just because they used their gifts. They also believed women couldn't make good warriors. The first was wrong, and the second was just a plain insult to her honor. So no. She wasn't going to make good on any bounty for the witch. But she was curious. If she was killer of men, then she might be dangerous and evil. If she was a wicked one who attacked her for no reason, then her ancestors would smile upon her slaying the witch.

But she intended to talk to the woman first. After all she had to choose for herself if the rumors were true, or false. If they were false well... What better way to return the insult to Connlaoth than to help the woman. She didn't know how, maybe she would do her a favor. Either way... She was a member of the Makni clan, and where ever she went. Greatness would present itself if she had the wits to see it.

She had set out on that day into the wilds. Thankfully the skies were overcast allowing for her to travel quickly, and the forest prevented the sun from touching her directly anyway. Her stark white skin would not burn upon this day! Following the rumors, going into the thickest of the brush. That is when she'd encounter the first remains.

Decayed half way between skeleton and dessicated corpse. The skin remained, but not much flesh. The eyes were empty, shriveled blots on the corpse. She'd reach out her gloved hand to corpses face and would touch it. Her eyes would glow then, from a dull pink of an albino to a bright pink of magic. To Dahlia, the corpse twitched and exhaled. Looking up at her.

"Where is she?" *Dahlia asked, using her power of The Sight and Speech to communicate to a spirit of the fallen. Yet to everyone else it would appear she was talking to a corpse. But the spirit would respond.*

"Follow the roots of the vines, but wary the thorns... they kill." The spirit would whisper weakly.

*Dahlia would just look to the spirit then with a calm expression.* "I do not fear. Rest now." *With that she'd let go of the face and continue. Heading -right- towards the home of the witch. Her hand would rest upon the hilt of one of her many swords but not in a sense that she would draw. It was just resting the hand on her hilt as she walked. The cool air kissed her face, bringing a smile to her lips.

She was walking right into a trap. She knew there was danger.

But a warrior of the Makni tribe never, ever showed cowardice to danger. She was determined to have a discussion with this witch.

Rhindeer

Sadb didn't realize she wasn't alone until she turned from the stream and started to head back for her refuge. She had left the rabbit on a skewer above the fire pit, ready to be cooked, and she had just finished collecting an armful of dried grass and leaves. It was funny, one might think she could just conjure her thorns for tender, but they didn't burn easily. A soldier had tried that once, tried to smoke her out, and he had wound up tangled like the rest of them.

She was halfway back when she saw it: a figure in the distance, but close enough to be a problem. And it was rapidly heading in her direction. Too close to reach her refuge; they would intersect long before she got there.

Heart racing in her chest, she did a quick scan of the area with her eyes to see if there were others, but she only saw the one--and as the figure drew closer, she realized...

It was a woman?

But Sadb knew better than to fear women less. After all, she was a woman, too, and look what she was capable of. But it wasn't so much that she feared this stranger; it was that she feared for her.

Pulling her furs tighter around her shoulders, Sadb took a deep breath and started to walk again, shoulders back and head high. This was what she needed, this woman, she told herself. The thorns needed her blood. She was a stranger, so why should it matter to her what happened to her? She'd come out here, after all. She'd made her choice. If she was headed for her refuge, obviously she came with a purpose, and Sadb knew the sort of purpose that drove people here. They wanted to kill her--and she couldn't blame them, really, all things considered. But that just made it self defense.

Those were the sorts of things she always told herself, hoping it would make it easier. Taking a deep breath, she felt for her thorns and felt the familiar thrum of magic; they would answer her call when she summoned them.

Finally, she was close enough that she could make out the woman's features, if not very well, but enough to see her dark hair, stark white skin, and features that painted her as clearly not from Connlaoth. Coming to a stop, Sadb glowered at her.

"Come to kill me, have you?" she called over the wind that dragged at her braids. "That won't end well for you, woman. I'm giving you one chance to turn back. Go away, leave me alone, and you'll be unharmed."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Cronowind

*Dahlia had traveled far. She was glad the clouds had not given away, and thin fog clung to the tree branches above. This might have been a much more difficult adventure for her if the weather hadn't shown her favor this time. It wasn't going to rain, for fog like this was somewhat usual for forests. Granted it might start at some point. Dahlia didn't fear the rain, for her great armor was made from dragonscale. Not steel. It would not rust. And she knew how to take care of her swords, all four of them. She had none drawn. She had come in peace, after all.

So she had traveled at a calm walk. She didn't run unless absolutely needed. So she would see the woman approaching her. She would turn then and walk calmly towards her. In several long moments she would see this 'Witch' of the forest. She saw the red hair, braided. She had a delicate, perhaps even frail body type. Her eyes, green, set near a freckled face. She wore no robe, and carried no staff. She'd look around, she didn't see a crow--a bat--a toad--an owl--nothing. No Familiar, and no book of arcane power on her person.

Was this woman just a hermit living away? Dahlia didn't know. But she knew not to expect anything. This woman could place a curse upon her if she wasn't careful, but she also knew she was no enemy of this woman. So when she heard her voice call out her words of warning, she would just smile from a distance. She would reach into a travelbag at her side and withdraw one of her personal items. She'd grab a stick off the ground as well. She'd take her item, A white cloth handkerchief. Wrap it around the stick and raise her hand, still at a distance. So the woman could see the white cloth move back and forth as she waved it through the air.

Waving a white cloth wrapped wrapped by a stick. A white flag, almost. A sign for peace, and negotiation. At which point, her sign of peacefulness shown. She'd walk slowly towards the woman. If allowed, she'd come to a few paces apart from her and bow before her. The woman would see then the truth of her. She looked completely foreign. Even if her skin was perfectly white, the way her face was set gave it away. Plus her strange blue scale armor was not of Connalothian make.

"I do not come to slay you, do not fear." *Dahlia offered as she approached.* "I come to speak to you, if indeed you are the one who lives in the center of this forest. Do you claim yourself the master of these plants? For I have with my mind open. May I join you for a moment?" Dahlia said fluidly, granted with a bit of an accent from her island nation.

"I have questions." *She said simply.* "About the nature of this place. About the nature of you. If you will permit me to enter your home."

Rhindeer

"Stop!" Sadb didn't let the woman get too close. Something rippled beneath the earth like a multitude of snakes, lightning quick, and a patch of vines cracked through the earth between them, writhing like living things. They didn't lash out of the woman, though; they simply remained where they were, a twisting mass on the ground that would hopefully dissuade the woman from coming any closer.

Because if she did, Sadb would attack, and she made her intent clear through her eyes as she watched the woman with a combination of wariness and regret.

"Put your flag away. You think no one's tried that?" she asked, and barked a harsh laugh. "'Do not fear'--those are the last words many victims hear. You think I'm stupid? Whatever you have to say, you can say it from over there."

With a deep breath, eyes moving over the woman to examine her stranger appearance, she took a slow step backwards and crossed her arms. She tilted her head to the side a little, lips pursed. "Anyway, I hope this display, at least, answered your question. I'm Sadb. And yeah. This is my home. Valley of the witch, right?" Shifting her weight to her other foot, her eyes narrowed. "Now, what do you want?"

Cronowind

*Dahlia would stop when the womans voice tore through the air. Well, to be honest. She had stopped a half a second before she had spoken, for the vines had entered within twenty feet of her. She knew something was strange, but had no idea what. Her blind sense had kicked in, and she could feel it... snakes under the ground. No not snakes.

Shrubbery? She gave an expression that was a somewhat bewildered look. She'd hold her ground before the plants, but not advance. She wanted to take a few steps back, but her code to prevent cowardice didn't permit it unless she was in direct danger, and at the moment she was not. She'd retrieve her handkerchief from the stick and let the stick fall.

She'd continue to look a bit confused. Almost as if she didn't believe her. She could sense the coiling and twisting of movement under the earth for twenty feet, she had no idea if it was more plants. Or worse. She could not assume anything, so she would simply keep calm and address the witch. Granted she had said her Victims.

That meant she had to get to the bottom of the story here. To find if this woman was really an evil threat to the land or a misunderstood spellcaster. Which involved speaking, so she'd open her mouth and say:

"I travel the land and I do not carry with me the hate of the nations I visit. I come here because I hear word of you, a Witch of the Wild. The people paint you in colours of evil and death, and I come to see with eyes unclouded by prejudice. Perhaps the men of the country are mistaken, and you do not kill outside of self defense. In which case, I have come to help you."

*She would pause then. She had no doubt would be assassins would use similar words, and she had no way to prove she was against the anti-magic laws. Well... There was -one- way.

"Sadb, allow me to demonstrate that I stand against those who would condemn you to death for being what you are~~" She said, being wrong about that particular piece of information. But nobody was perfect. "~~ and will not pass the same judgement. I will take a few steps back. Please do not attack me."

*That being said. Now that she had a reason. She'd withdraw a few steps. Several in fact to show she was no threat. At which point she'd hold the hilt of one of her four swords. She'd draw it, but only half way. So the blade didn't leave its scabbard.

Sadb would see then. Her sword was glowing a soft blue. Not because of some paint. A magical sense would fill the air. She'd draw the sword fully then. She was about thirty feet away at this point, knowing full well the limitations of her magic. So when she lifted it to the air, and it shone with a bright blue light. It cut through the darkness of the forest! A hum would fill the air, the electrical charge would arch up and down the blade. The Lightning Kiss of the blade. It would glow fiercely for a moment, before becoming dull. She'd place the blade back into its scabbard and look to Sadb.

"I too employ the use of magic, Connaloth be damned." *She said simply.*

"Please, cease your hostilities. I come in peace."

Rhindeer

The woman's hand went to her sword, and Sadb tensed, and the thorns writhed restlessly. If the woman thought she could trick her, if she planned on using her blade...then Sadb felt she couldn't be blamed when her thorns consumed her. She didn't want it to come to that; it was such a pointless waste of life. But the selfish part of her hoped the woman would give her a reason to attack, because her death meant an extension of her own life.

Ansgar, what a sick thought.

However, Sadb waited, and watched, every muscle tense as the woman made every effort to not look threatening.

Until she drew that glowing sword and lightning struck it.

Sadb yelped in alarm and stumbled backwards, the hair on her arms standing on end from static and her heart in her throat. She very nearly lashed out at the woman then, for it had startled her enough to induce a violent reaction, but then what the woman was saying clicked into her brain. It was magic. This one didn't buy into Connlaothian dogma. And yet, the paranoia and distrust remained, because what was stopping her from using magic to slay her and pretending not to be a mage when she returned to collect the bounty?

She genuinely couldn't fathom anyone wanting to help her.

She felt too far gone for that.

Sadb rubbed her arms and shook her head. "That's impressive," she finally said, "but it still doesn't explain why you can't tell me whatever you came to tell me from over there." Pointedly, her thorns writhed in the space between them. She did not like this woman's insistence that she get physically closer to her.

Cronowind

Dahlia would look to the woman then, her soft pink eyes would look quite intently at the woman. She was thankful it was not a bright day in the forest, or she wouldn't be able to look at the woman fall back from the sight of her blades fury--even if it wasn't targeted at her. She'd slowly slide her blade back into her scabbard with a soft 'c-thunk'. She'd listen to the woman before blinking once or twice. This woman... was rude! Very rude. If she was back home, she would have bristled and challenged her on her obnoxious attitude.

But she understood she was not home. She was traveling to become a great swordmaster, and to do that she had to accept things as they were. Not as they should be. Besides, how could she expect someone who apparently had nobody else around to act properly? She just smiled then at the other woman and knew her anger was unjustified. So she let it drop entirely instead of quashing it by reminding herself that she was a warrior!

"Very well." *She said simply before slowly reaching into a bag on her hip. Withdrawing a small roll of fabric. She'd unroll it on the ground and would simply go to sit on it. She would not sit normally--at least not as someone from the witches culture would sit. She'd bend her knees and slip down onto the cloth, her butt sitting on her calves, her feet tilted back for comfort. At which point... Well. It was a forest they were in. She'd gather up some twigs and dried leaves before withdrawing a tea pot from the same bag.

Making camp in such a tense situation. Did Dahlia not care if she was in danger? It didn't seem so. Granted, a skilled warrior might be able to tell that by the way she was sitting she could pop up almost instantly. But as a Witch, Sadb might not be able to understand and think she was completely dropping her guard.

At which point she would start to speak.

"I have come to take measure of your quality, and that I have done." Dahlia said simply. "I approached, and you did not try to slay me as soon as you saw me. Which means the rumors about you are false. You are no marauding woman who seeks lives without consideration, which leaves me to believe a lot of what you have done is in self defense." *She said, blatantly making tea. Using water from a waterskin as well as the small fire she had started.

"Thus I believe it is the traditions of your country have labeled you a monster unjustly. And I have come to help you." *She said then calmly.* "If you would accept my sword, I will guide and protect you south through the mountains to Serendipity. Perhaps there you may continue your craft, find a grimoire and be in peace. I will allow no bullet to find your heart, nor blade to find your flesh should you agree. That is my offer, since you did not try to kill me."

Dahlia would finish speaking then, and look to Sadb intently. At which point Dahlia would allow her own personal magic to flow through her. She had the sight, a magical ability which allowed her to see the spirits of the dead... and most things under the name 'spirit' as well. Trying to see... well. Whatever she could see. Was she suspected she would see is vengeful spirits of the people Sadb had killed, and wanted to hear what they said.

But who knows what else she might see.

Rhindeer

Sadb stared blankly at the woman.

Was she...?

Was she just...whipping out a picnic right here? And right now? Making tea? Sadb's thorns writhed before her, and the woman was just...completely unperturbed?

Sadb stared at the woman like she had just sprouted antlers as she continued to speak, and she found herself feeling both grateful and unnerved and angry. Of everyone who had come here, Dahlia was the only one who didn't fear her--and the only one who didn't deem her some vile beast. While hearing that made Sadb feel more human, and made her feel for this woman, it also enraged her. She was supposed to be a monster.

If people viewed her as just a woman, they would get hurt. If they got too close, it was only a matter of time.

If they treated her as a monster, though, she could feed her fae without remorse.

Ansgar, maybe she was a monster.

Finally, when Sadb had gathered her wits well enough to speak, she leveled a long look at the woman. "Ah. Continue my craft? In Serendipity?"

She burst into laughter then, sudden and humorless. "You have no idea what you're suggesting. You'd have me terrorize Serendipity in place of Connlaoth? Brilliant. What a fantastic idea."

Cronowind

*Dahlia didn't even seem to notice the look she was given. She was busy it seemed. Her eyes closed, she didn't really need them to see perfectly. Training to be efficient where you were weak was a part of being an Albino in a world such as this.  Having fought with swords while blind folded, poured tea, walked along broken roads. This was the training needed to be able to blind fight, which applied here to making tea. With practiced ease she would take herbs and spices and place them within the teapot she had gathered.

She could feel them, of course. Her blind sense allowed her to feel every snake, or vine as it turned out, within thirty feet of her. Every movement. If only Sadb had known just how much danger she knew she was in, yet still her face was calm and collected. She would fear no challenge, no matter how great or the depth of the peril. That was her code of honor. Her honor demanded she try. So she would pour two cups of a pungent herbal green tea.

"I disagree." *She said simply. Leaving the second cup of tea on the other side of the blanket she had set out for the two of them.* "If i shall not join your fire, please. Join mine. Take my cup and enjoy as we have words of peace." *She said, going to take a sip of her tea.*

"Tell me Miss Witch of the Forest. How cultured are you? The people of Serendipity openly embrace magic. They communicate with spirits of both peaceful and predatory nature, freely. They would not be terrorized by you." She didn't know it, but she was talking about creatures Sadb would consider dark spirits. Yet she would speak on. "If you only kill in self defense. Living in the rugged reaches close to the mountain range and serendipity would serve you best. Your magic can protect you from the monsters that call it home."

"Unless you are afraid of orcs, goblins, trolls and the occasional faerie who will steal your items. It is not an easy life, and there is conflict. But you will not have to deal with sexist, magiphobic cowards who would kill women simply because they are different. I have said I am willing to help you get to that place. Where your biggest concerns would be non-humans coming to attack you. But you'd not have your kin and countrymen trying to slay you." *She nodded then.*

"If you do not want to leave, I will understand. This is your home, after all. But I am here to help you, so if leaving will not work. Then you and I should discuss alternative measures as to how to help you." *She smiled then as she bowed her head. Repeating herself.*

"Come in peace, please, join my fire for tea."

Rhindeer

"Fae?" Sadb repeated, and her heart clenched, a chill going down her spine like ice water dripping down her skin. She shook her head and clutched anxiously at her braids. No, no. This woman really had no idea what she was dealing with, or what she was talking about. Sadb knew Serendipity was a nation of magic, but she was certain that there was no place on earth that would like her magic.

A predatory power that fed on human blood? That killed? That had to kill, and had to have human to sustain it? It would be the same result. People would die. And she would be hunted.

Only then, she would be hunted by mages.

Sadb hugged herself, feeling her anxiety increasing the more this woman spoke. It wouldn't work. She couldn't leave.

Besides, Raikaziel wouldn't let her.

"You don't know anything," she growled, frustrated, and even more frustrated because she dare not speak all her thoughts out loud. Raikaziel could be near, and if she heard Sadb discussing the option of leaving, the fae would not be happy. "If I went to Serendipity, what then? What would change, but the nationality of the dead? You don't get it."

But then, with a low sigh, she waved a hand dismissively, and a second later the thorns that had broken the earth between them receded and sank back into the ground. It was a clear sign--her hostilities were ceased. That done, she turned her back to the woman and started to head to her own camp.

"Go home, woman."

Cronowind

*Dahlia would just calmly sip her tea as she listened to the woman speak. She had refused her tea. Back home that was an insult, but again she didn't blame this woman. But she did start to feel a little annoyed, her kindness being thrown at her face repeatedly. But she would not give up, and there was two reasons for that.

She needed to know the truth behind this woman. So she could save her if deep down she was a person who was subjugated by her country. That was justice, one of the codes of her honor. She would not allow her to go without her help unless it was not within her power to help her. So she would calmly finish her tea and stand. Rolling up her mat and leaving the cup on the floor as she was told to go home.

"You wish me to return home? I cannot. I have things I must do before I may return home, and today that is me helping you." *She said honestly, in her same emotionally mute tone of voice. One of almost supernatural calm.*

"You are correct about my knowledge, that you are. I must admit I do not know much of the situation, which is why I have come." *She said walking slowly after Sadb, towards her camp. Hostilities had faded, so she would walk casually. Her red robe moving softly in the wind as she continued along behind her.*

"But if you believe those in serendipity would fall then something else is going on around here. I do not believe you are a murderer by vocation. Allow me to help you, and will have my sword--The Pride of the Makni Clan." Dahlia said as she walked along. Dahlia had poor vision but she did have a really good sense of hearing in return. She could hear the crispness of the tone of her voice. And more interestingly she heard the clink of her fiddling with her braids. From this distance in the light it was a bit of a blur but she could still see and put two and two together.

This woman was afraid. Of what, she did not know. But she had a feeling she could find out. As she followed... she would whisper oh so softly.

"Spirits of my warrior ancestors; give me sight beyond sight."

With that, Dahlia's gift of the sight would activate! Her eyes would pierce the veil between the living world and the spirit world. She could see the dead... perhaps she could see more. She would look around. Trying to see spirits of those Sadb had killed who lingered at the place they had died. Vengeful ghosts who haunted, perhaps? She didn't know.

But she would follow, yet sadb might be able to tell that Dahlia was doing something. It was something about her eyes. The soft pink iris would subtly change color. In soul speakers with blue eyes, they would have their eyes turn a crisp blue as they spoke with the spirits. Dahlia's turned from a soft pink into a soft red.

The mark of shame that had driven her to travel. She could see the spirits of the dead. But she had red eyes when she did so. Sadb would not know the significance more than likely. But she might know Dahlia was up to something--looking this way and that as she followed her. Almost as if expecting something to jump up and bite her.

Rhindeer

Sadb felt a frustrated scream bubbling up in her chest. She tugged at her braids and closed her eyes and, with an effort, swallowed it down before it could escape her lips. She didn't understand this woman, this meddler, and after years of isolation and loneliness and bitterness, well...perhaps she also didn't have the best people skills. This was so unlike what she was used to that she wasn't sure how to read this woman or how to handle her, but she felt she couldn't trust her--because she couldn't trust anyone.

No one just...helped people because they wanted to help them.

There had to be some ulterior motive.

When Sadb felt she could speak calmly, she turned on her heel and glowered at the woman, who was following her, which aggravated her all the more. Couldn't she bloody well take a hint?!

"What are you getting out of this?" she finally said, voice tense and body rigid.

Cronowind

"What am I getting out of this?" *The woman asked, placing her hand on her blue dragonscale armor. For a second she was just going to blurt out that she wanted to help. But no, she knew that this woman wouldn't really accept a gift. After all, her Kinsmen hated her. Just like her own kind distrusted her due to her eyes. Pink, that could turn a deep red when she used her powers to commune with the spirits of the dead. In some way she felt a kindred with her.

She knew the difference between her station, and Dahlia's was that her father had kept her close. And that he had been a man of relative power in Thanatos, at least in her town. But she had been hated. Even if the adults feared his wrath. This woman had no one. Nobody Dahlia could see. So she would tell the truth to the woman. If she would listen to her.

"What do I want? I want to save you from murder and death because it is right to do so. It is the correct action based on the teachings of the way. If you are wondering, I speak of The Way of the Warrior. That is what I do. I travel here and there, helping people who are wronged because that is what a Samurai does. Helping those in need with blade and skill." *Dahlia said this as she looked around. Using her ability of the sight.

Nothing. No spirits of the dead jumped out at her. This was important between her and this other woman.

"In doing so. Perhaps if I help enough people. Word will spread of my deeds, bringing my Clan back home Honor. That is what I get out of this deal. Perhaps, in helping you find a place where you can be at peace. I will save lives. This is why..."

"I want to help you."

Rhindeer

With a sigh, Sadb spread her arms wide and then let them drop back down at her sides, a defeated gesture.

"You talk like I'm most afraid of dying," she said with a bitter smile. "Like that's my worst fear. Woman, I'm hardly afraid for me. I'm most afraid for you."

Cronowind

Dahlia would smile then at the woman. Her remaining so damnably calm in the face of her defiance seemed almost inhuman. Would nothing get her ire up? Yet she would just keep with the woman as best as possible.

"Do not fear for me." The woman in blue armor would say softly.

"You must understand, I made a choice to travel the world. I'm an adventurer. I willingly go into dungeons to slay monsters. I put down rampaging dragons to save a village. I break curses on undeserving people. I know my lifestyle may kill me, but it was my choice to make it so others would not have to live a life of fear."

*Dahlia reached up with her hand and ran her plated fingers over her own perfectly black hair.*

"But the fact is. You are afraid -for- me. Which tells me you are very likely under some form of enchantment. I wish to break it. Or turn it into a weapon that can help people. But I can only do so if you help me."

Rhindeer

Sadb laughed, a bitter sound. "Hah. If only it were an enchantment..." she muttered, rubbing at her arms and darting a look away from the woman. It was a nervous action, like she was looking for something--or someone. Her body tensed, and she looked back to the woman.

"Listen, woman, I'm not fooling around. You need to leave. Now. It's for your own safety," she said, and this time her words lacked their former hostility--and were filled instead with urgency. "You can't help me. I can't leave. But you must. Please."

Because she could feel that Raikaziel was returning, and that she wasn't far away.