Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

So How Are You Still Alive?

Started by Alegretto, May 25, 2014, 12:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alegretto

Minoru strode through the halls of the Adachi main house. He gave slight nods for passing family member and carefully ignored the servants as he made his way to the area of the house where the inured stayed.

It was his obligation as a family member to pay at least one visit to anyone injured. Normally the trips were rather tedious and bothersome. Today though, Minoru was actually looking forward to it. The rumor was that Seiki had been severely injured while on assignment, and that he was almost as close to death as he'd been on the day that she died.

There was little Minoru relished more than seeing his high and mighty cousin brought low, so there was almost a little skip in his step as he went.

When he finally did arrive at the room where Seiki was being housed, he took a moment to make sure he had his composure. It wouldn't do to go into the room grinning like a fool, as much as he wanted too.

When he was sure he had control of himself, he knocked on the door and waited for a response.

Anadwen

The room Seiki was in was silent. He simply lay there for hour upon hour, deep in his thoughts, not moving once to avoid the pain from the wounds that have been sewn up just a few days ago. Set on a thin mat on the floor, it was not as easy as suspected. Only thick layers of bandages on the deep cuts on his shoulder, under his ribs, and through his wrist dulled the discomfort a little.

About two days ago, he got a sword through the liver, and almost all bones in his wrist were simply blasted out, leaving there a hole that was just slowly regenerating. His almost entire body from the waist up, excluding his left forearm, was covered in white wraps that somehow managed to hold him together. How did Haru do it was a mystery for everyone.

And so, he just laid there. His face, lined by thick strands of black hair, appeared somewhat pale, but if not for the part of white, wrapped around his neck, and his left hand, placed on his chest, it would be difficult to discern whether he was really hurt. As if that face never changed.

The knock on the door broke the chain of his thoughts, but even that didn't manage to make him move. "Enter." he spoke, silently, but loudly enough for someone behind the door to hear him.

Alegretto

Upon gaining permission, Minoru pushed open the door. He stepped into the room and took a moment to orient himself to the interior. It didn't take him long, the room was pretty much like every other one in the house.

That completed, Minoru stepped closer to his cousin's bed. "I've come to check up on you Seiki. How are you feeling?"

It was all the man could do to not burst out laughing after asking his question. His cousin looked to be in delightfully poor condition. Well, he couldn't really tell the extent of the injuries under all the wraps, but the sheer amount of bandaging was testament enough to how close to death his cousin had come. So close...

What a shame it wasn't close enough.

Anadwen

Welcoming his cousin with a cold glance, Seiki took his time to answer. Minoru was quite obviously pretentious... He lived with him his whole life. Seventy, eighty years and he could see through him. And he knew that Minoru didn't care as much as he pretended. Though, he kept all that to himself... Isako still believed the facade. Why should he reveal something like that to his little sister when she wasn't ready yet?

He swore to protect them, and this counted as a part of it. Protect them... From anything that might threaten to harm them. Not only spirits and evil people, but also the ugly truths of the world. He stood behind more things than it appeared... It was him who always made sure that neither Isako nor Shinobu are never sent to dispatch anything more dangerous than the ordinary malevolent ghost. And even though he disliked him, he did the same to Minoru. It was always him who was sent to take care of the dangerous things.

That's how it should be. He was the only one capable of it! He was the only one that should risk his life for the safety of others... He couldn't anyone else to do it for him. That was what he swore to keep.

"The spirit was gotten rid off. I took the most wounds, but it doesn't concern me." he spoke silently. "It was a grand spirit, but it was defeated before it could cause any chaos." He covered his mouth with his left hand to suppress coughing, and for a moment turned his head away from his cousin. Crimson drops flowed down his fingers when he lifted it, and for a moment, his eyes widened with surprise. Then, he remembered about what Haru told him. He wasn't supposed to strain himself with talking yet...

He wiped the blood off the corner of his mouth with the back of his hand, and let that hand sink back down. Nothing to concern himself about.

Alegretto

Minoru looked with interest as Seiki coughed up blood. He wasn't paying too much attention to what his cousin was saying, he didn't really want to hear the story of Seiki's latest grand conquest, but the man's injuries on the other hand, those were far more interesting.

Clearly his cousin was in bad shape, though nowhere near where Minoru had been led to believe. Also nowhere near as bad as he had hoped. What a shame. A little worse off and maybe Minoru would have risked something drastic...

But not now. He couldn't get away with it, Seiki's condition was too good to blame it on unforeseen injury and Minoru was quite sure that Haru was nearby, she wasn't one I leave a patient, and she'd sense if anything was wrong.

Still, even if he couldn't cause permanent damage, he could certainly make mischief. Judging by the blood coming out of his mouth, talking wasn't the best thing for Seiki right now. Best to keep him talking then.

"So what was this spirit like? You know, other than grand," Minoru asked with feigned interest. "It must have been strong to hurt you and Sozen so badly."

Anadwen

Why all of a sudden all the interest? Was Minoru really that interested in having a lesson on grand spirits, even though he clearly saw that Seiki wasn't at the pinnacle of his physical condition? Well, well, wasn't that clearly suspicious... He wasn't born yesterday. Though, Seiki was more perceptive than he let out other than during a fight.

"No spirit is... Too strong. In the end, all of them are defeated... No matter the price..." He covered his mouth again when he felt more pressure in his chest, and the familiar bitter, slightly salty taste of blood in his mouth. He shut his eyes tightly, and took a deep breath to ease the uncomfortable feeling. It was almost like if he was being stabbed into the lung again... Well, at least he was capable of speaking, so that was most definitely a plus.

Alegretto

Minoru's eyes hardened at Seiki's words. "No matter the price. Such an, interesting expression. It's funny how some end up paying more than others..."

He let the tension sit in the air for a moment before he broke it with a raucous laugh. "Luckily you didn't pay the ultimate price my cousin. That would be such a shame. Who would protect the family if you were gone? I certainly couldn't do it," the man laughed again.

Anadwen

Countering his cousin with a glance that most likely felt like a cold shower, Seiki moved his left arm over to his side, forcing himself up to his elbows. His body wasn't yet healed enough to sit up, but he didn't care for that, and with the sheer extent of his will sat up, even though breathing heavily and growing pale in the face.

"I choose to pay... As much as I can... Afford."

As long as no one else has to pay what he chooses to. As long as no one has to bear the burden he takes all on his shoulders.

The blanket sled off him, revealing that was actually only in the bottom part of his hakama, his entire chest and abdomen was completely covered in bandages. He bent his head forth, drawing a sharp breath in, his chest shaking as his muscles and ribs stretched and contracted again, pulling the stitches that held them together.

He bent his head back, letting a few strands of his hair fall back and slide out of his face.

Alegretto

Minoru's glower darkened further. "Such an admirable attitude my cousin. If only others in this family were also so willing to follow such a creed." The young man was breathing heavily now, and his fists were clenching and unclenching. He had to take a few moments to master himself, taking deep breathes and doing his best to relax his muscles.

After a few moments his expression lightened again, and the scowl he'd been wearing disappeared under a carefully made smile. "So tell me Seiki? What makes it your responsibility to pay these costs when they're incurred, even by others?"

Anadwen

"Now that..." Seiki took a deep breath, "Is no concern of yours." There were things he kept to himself. Minoru would be the last person he'd confess those matters to... Though, that didn't mean he'd share them with anyone else, either. It's not like he didn't notice Minoru's strange expressions, though...

Alegretto

Minoru kept up the fake smile. "Is it guilt maybe?" he asked with faux curiosity. "Some kind of repentance maybe?" He kept his voice neutral, through it was rather difficult to resist the urge to sound accusing.

Minoru stood back on his heels and let the words register. Now how would his cousin react to the verbal poking and prodding. How far would he have to go to get a reaction? Those were the questions that Minoru really wanted an answer to.

Anadwen

Guilt? Repentance? The temperament side inside Seiki, which has been tied by the ropes of self-control and buried under pride and manners, roared and threatened him with breaking off the chain. He narrowed his eyes slightly, giving Minoru a sharp look of utter disapproval. If that wasn't how a cold stare looks, then Seiki was no Adachi.

"It is... For the sake of my pride." He raised his head. "There is nothing I won't destroy... Or sacrifice for it."

Alegretto

"Ah, pride, what a wonderful motivator," Minoru said with a chuckle. "Funny, I thought excessive pride was one of those things we were told to watch out for. That it was dangerous and could cloud are judgement. Is that your flaw cousin? Are you too proud?"

Minoru could tell that he was wearing on the edges of Seiki's nerves. Perfect.

Anadwen

"There is nothing... Like too much pride." Seiki narrowed his cold eyes when gazing upon Minoru. "And you... Lack even the little that I... Thought you have. You... Disappoint me."

To accuse him of something like that. How outrageous...

His spiritual presence suddenly filled the room. It was heavy, like if the air suddenly became thick, difficult to breathe in, difficult to even stand in unless one possessed as much power as Seiki did.

"It is insulting to even hear... Such assumptions."

Alegretto

Minoru could feel Seiki filling the room with his force of will, but the nobleman refused to be cowed. He was not going to be afraid of his seriously injured cousin, no matter how much stronger he was.

He laughed off Seiki's comment about his lack of pride, and sneered at his cousin's talk of assumptions. "I'm not assuming Seiki, I'm quite positive about my analysis. You think you know me, and maybe you do, but I know you just as well, and I know that someday your pride is going to get you killed for some pointless reason. And tell me cousin, who's going to protect your little sisters then? Who's going to shelter them from, well, everything?"

Anadwen

"You have no right to speak of pride... Like you know a thing." Seiki's hand, bloodied crimson after he pressed it onto his mouth to suppress the coughing again, clenched around the side of the bed. "Not in a thousand years... Will you... Have the... Right to speak of my pride. And... Do not insult the pride of Isako and Shinobu... With words like that. To... Worry about a warrior in battle is... An insult to the warrior."

He drew a long, sharp breath in. "But you... Cannot understand... You are not a warrior... And you insult the name of the Adachi clan by bearing its weapon... And wearing its robes. Get... Lost from my sight."

Alegretto

Minoru had to suppress a smile. He hadn't seen Seiki this worked up in ages. It was really a blast. Still, all good things must come to an end. It appeared to be time to stop antagonizing his cousin. For now.

"Then I will leave, cousin. I hope your recovery is swift. After all what kind of warrior lies around in bed all day?" As he walked out the door, Minoru couldn't resist one last quip. "Oh I know, the kind that lets themselves get seriously injured for their pride. That's the kind." And with those parting words he was gone.

Anadwen

Even if he'd want to - what his pride, which Minoru so criticized, wouldn't let him - Seiki couldn't stand up. Sitting and talking took enough of the precious energy which he was now missing, and releasing his spiritual pressure was nigh-deadly. He collapsed back onto the ground, closing his eyes.

Isako, however, wasn't that stupid not to feel the monstrous pressure that suddenly descended on the house. She rushed through the corridors to get to his room. And due to looking everywhere but in front of her, she ran straight into Minoru, with the speed of a thunderbolt and heavy clattering of her wooden sandals.

Alegretto

Minoru had heard the sound of pounding sandals, and he had just enough time to brace himself before Isako hit him. Stopping the girl was almost beyond his strength, and he was a hair's breath away from falling over.

Only after he had pushed Isako away and recovered himself did he look at his younger cousin.  There was momentary disdain on his face before the expression was replaced by one of benevolence and camaraderie. "Why, dear cousin, what has you moving in such a hurry, and with such panic?"

Anadwen

"I know you can't really feel it, Minoru, although I bet you sorta did, because I bet that everyone in here did, at least a little bit, seriously, I felt Seiki and I knew that's not right, cause Seiki should be resting, and I don't know why he's resting, but I didn't feel a spirit, so I rushed here to see if anything happened, cause if anything happened Seiki can't do anything and I have to take care of my big brother like he took care of me when I was little because now he needs it the most!" Isako blurted out almost as fast as she ran, her large red eyes mirroring a panicked, alarmed state. She sure knew how to talk fast.

Picking herself up and dusting her revealingly short kimono's skirt, she looked down, blushing a little. "I'm sorry that I ran into you, but you know how it is, I can't feel you and I'm not looking so I just... Well..." She slid a strand of dark hair behind her ear, shrugging.