Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The cost of living. [Open!]

Started by Rhindeer, August 11, 2014, 12:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"No, please, don't do this! Don't take me back to him!" the young woman begged, as she had the entire way back here, but her pleading fell on deaf ears even as her tears wet his shirt. Cadmus hardened his heart to her, as he had done with many people before her, and pushed onward as she cried and struggled in his grip, slung over his shoulder like a sack. She kicked at him, but she couldn't do much damage, for he'd bound her legs and arms in anticipation of a struggle.

Right then, he wished he'd thought to gag her, too. At least then he wouldn't have to listen to her begging sobs.

But do this enough times, and soon enough, even that could be tuned out.

This wasn't the sort of job Cadmus normally took on, this...this re-capturing of slaves. But the usual jobs weren't coming in much lately, and he'd been short on money, and antsy with inactivity. So, he'd taken it. It was easy money; the girl had been easy to track, and easy to capture. Hadn't even put up much of a fight. For a moment, it had sickened him, and he'd been sickened by just what he was doing--capturing a girl that couldn't even defend herself, taking her back to gods knew what kind of fate--but at the end of the day, it wasn't his problem.

And if he didn't do it, someone else would, anyway. The girl was already doomed.

Stepping up to the door of the brothel, Cadmus banged on the door until a greasy man opened it. His captive sobbed harder, but Cadmus simply slung her down from his shoulder, pushed her toward the man, and held out his hand. "My payment."

When he left the brothel, coin purse substantially heavier, he felt almost as greasy as that man had looked. He tried to erase from his mind the look that woman had given him before she'd been pushed back inside.

It wasn't his problem.

That was what he told himself as crossed town to the nearest tavern, and settled into one of the tables. That was what he told himself as he ordered a frothy pint and proceeded to drown the memory from his mind, and wash away some of that greasiness.

Not his problem.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Codestar7

Felodas looked with interest at the man carrying the woman. It was a brothel, this was norrmal. But Feldoas hated the sight of it. He watched the man eneter, the woman slung like a sack of potatoes over his shoulder. She fought him, kicked him, punched him. But he was relentless.
'Does he feel no resentment? Does he not feel what she feels? How could someone do this to the female gender?' The elf pondered, frowning.

The man he saw exited the building with gold in hand, and Felodas quickly spun away, to make the man think he was not interested. Then, he followed him. A tavern door slamemd, and Felodas followed.

Inside, the man sat, and drank. Felodas would find out why he wanted to sell women - why he was so disrespectful to their kindness. So, he sat at the table next to the man, and brooded in silence.

Rhindeer

After his second drink, which had relaxed him enough that he'd forgotten the discomfort of what he'd done (or at least hidden it under the pleasant haze of a buzz), Cadmus had had enough. The tavern was starting to get uncomfortably crowded as the night crowd rolled in, and he didn't have the luxury of wasting time on pleasure. This job had given him some coin, but not much; it was time to look for real work.

And so, setting a coin on the table to cover the cost of his ale, Cadmus rose to his feet, slung his baldric back on, and headed for the door. Along the way, he pressed another coin into the hand of the bar maid that had served him.

She deserved it, for dealing with the likes of him and the many others she'd deal with tonight.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Codestar7

Felodas didn't strike up the courage to talk to the man. So, when he stood to leave, Felodas almost did, but hesitated. If he stood just as his target did, he'd seem suspicious. So he waited for him to rise. As if on cue, he handed a coin to the bartender. This gave Felodas enough time to rise, and stride quickly to the door.

Felodas knew this was a stupid idea, but he could handle it. He'd handles trolls, dragons, even been to another universe, and helped kill his own father. He could handle this man if it got to rowdy.

He hoped.

Rhindeer

Outside the tavern, Cadmus headed for the stables. The tavern had rooms, like most did, but they had all been taken by the time he'd arrived. What they did have was room in the stables, and Cadmus couldn't object to sleeping in the hay. He'd spent many nights outdoors, and hay, while scratchy, was significantly softer than some of the stuff he'd slept on!

Opening the door, he slipped inside, shushing the horses that stirred and nickered when he entered. But though they'd lifted their heads when he'd stepped inside, they soon quieted, recognizing his scent from earlier--though one, at least, shifted nervously, likely because it was smarter than the others and smelled the predatory, not-human scent beneath the humanness.

Heading to his corner of the barn, Cadmus stripped off his sword and baldric, set it aside, and sat back in the hay for some shut-eye.

He had a busy day ahead of him tomorrow.

Codestar7

Felodas was curious as to where his pursuee was heading. Relentlessly, the elf continued following, all the way to... the stables. Felodas knew immediately he was going to get a horse. So, in post haste, he rushed over, hid next to the stble building and waited. The look on his face was a sight to see when after a while, no horse galloped from the smelly place. All Felodas could hear were sounds of marketplace commotion, the soft spring breeze, and the gentle whinny of horses.

It was one hundred and fourteen years ago since Felodas had followed someone like this. His best non-dragon friend, Irieth, had changed, had become darker. Felodas followed her, all the way to her capture, to her sale into slavery. Felodas himself was spotted, captured, and was forced to watch as orcs raped Irieth mercilessly, or face death. Feldoas broke free with the help of his trusty shadow wolf, fought the orcish brutes. But it was too late. Irieth, the elf's best friend for three centuries, was dead. Lying in her own pool of blood. The sexual abuse had torn so much of her body, her face was pale, her naked body a sickly white. Felodas could not stand for slavery any longer. This crossed the line.

Felodas sat, watching the sun dip below the horizon, thinking of his next move. It was getting dark, and he had made his decision. He entered the barn, to confront the man he had witnessed selling a girl.

Rhindeer

By the time Felodas entered the stables, Cadmus was already awake. Always an early riser (and especially now, when there was much to do!), he had just finished feeding and grooming his horse, and was just finishing up saddling her.

He gave the man entering the stables a cursory glance, then went back to tightening the strap around his mare's belly. There was nothing unusual--or interesting--about someone entering the stables, where people were always coming and going, and Cadmus thought nothing of it then.

Taking the reins of his horse, he guided her out of the stall and headed for the door, ready to get an early jump on his day.

Codestar7

Felodas nodded curtly at the man he was still following. He got a horse... well, stole one, and hopped on it. He strode infront of the man, and stopped.

"I believe...," Felodas started, nervously, "I believe you have sold a fine young girl into slavery. Do you realise that this ruins lives? How would you like it if your mother, or sister, if you have one, were sold into slavery. Girls as young as twelve are raped and die in these places. How could you subject them to this?"

Felodas folded his arms, and called his dragon.
Come, just in case I need help.

Ralenth came swooping down from the skies, and landed behind Felodas.

Rhindeer

Cadmus drew his mare to a stop when that same man, now on horseback, blocked his path. Lines of annoyance crinkled his brow, and he had been about to just go around the strange man, but then the man spoke.

...Ah.

So was that what this was about?

This man had seen what he'd done last night and...decided to confront him about it now? With a dragon?

He had a feeling this was going to be good.

Cadmus stared at him for a long moment before, finally, he answered. "Have you rescued her, then?" he asked plainly.

Codestar7

"I.." Felodas stuttered. He paused a moment, already defeated. "I have not. I though to pursue you, ask where you are getting these womenm from, and why you can so freely sell them to rapists without a whim. Selling helpless women to slaves is deleterious, are you cognizant of this? And just for a remuneration! How could you?"

Rhindeer

Cadmus let the man speak, his expression neutral save for the slow arching of an eyebrow. When the man finished, he let out an impatient sigh. This was ridiculous.

"I'm cognizant of the fact that I returned that woman to the brothel last night, and you are confronting me about this a day later. I am also cognizant of the fact that while you lecture me, that woman is still at the brothel," he said, voice flat.

He let the words hang in the air for a moment, hoping the man was smart enough to catch his meaning, before he turned his mare and made to go around the would-be hero. "Now, if you'll excuse me."

Codestar7

Ralenth leapt into the air, cutting off the passage. Felodas spoke to the man. "Here is twice what you paid for the woman. Give it to the man you sold her to, and get her back. Then I'll give you 100 gold pieces."

Rhindeer

Cadmus continued to stare at that man, but then he shrugged and held out his hand to accept the money. "Do you even know how much I was given to retrieve her?" he asked, wondering how he would know--but then again, he might have overheard, if this stranger had been following him since then.

"I'll do it, if you're good for it. Though I'm curious...you have the money, clearly. And this woman must mean something to you, if you're willing to pay so much. Why don't you buy her back yourself?"

Codestar7

"I want you to go in there, see the pain being inflicted on women like her. I want you to see what they go through and think, 'what if it were my mother in there, being raped and tortured for fun.' I want you feel her pain by seeing that, imagining it were one you loved. That is why I will not do it myself. You must be taught a lesson, and slavery must be known as a damaging thing. I do not want slavery in Ketra. I'm the Lord Captain of Dragonriders. I have a duty to keep the people of Adela safe, on and off the battlefield."

Felodas folded his arms smugly, leaning on the stones of a house. Ralenth spurted fire into the air, roaring loudly.

"So," ended Felodas. "What do you say?"

((OOC - I sent you a pm regarding getting my Mod position back :)))

Rhindeer

Cadmus listened to the man prattle on, expression as blank as it had been through the duration of their meeting thus far. For a Lord Captain, this man was certainly naive.

He thought to teach him a lesson? In a nation in which slavery was perfectly legal? While assuming Cadmus had never been inside a brothel?

Cute.

Cadmus shrugged. "Give me the coin to pay her fee, and I'll do it."

Codestar7

Felodas handed over 100 gold pieces - He was certaintly being naive. But he was only like that because he knew Ralenth would be Queen of the Daedrothian Mountain Dragons soon enough, and his head was scrambled thinking of who would be his new mount for an oh so important role of scouting the countryside.

"Here, take it. And sorry if I seem a bit crazy. I'm really not. Just a bit tired."

Rhindeer

Cadmus only grunted in acknowledgment as he took the bag of coins. "I'll return here with her," was all he said before he clicked his heels and took off on his horse, heading in the direction of the brothel for the second time in as many days. It was probably the most he'd ever visited a brothel in his life, and all for a ridiculous cause.

He couldn't help but wonder, as he headed back for the brothel, why this man cared so much for this particular woman. Sure, Cadmus would buy her freedom, and that saved one girl, but that was only one. What of the others? Did the man even care about them, or was this all about making himself look morally superior? Or was it simply easier to care about someone he'd personally seen, while the others were...out of sight, out of mind?

He snorted to himself. Between the two of them, he wasn't sure which of them was more callous. At least he didn't discriminate.

At the brothel, the transaction was rather quick. The owner was quick to give up the girl, claiming she was worth far less than that and laughing at the deal he'd gotten. Cadmus said nothing, and once the confused woman was presented, he took her by the arm and lead her back to his horse.

"Don't struggle," he muttered. "It seems it's your lucky day. A soldier took a fancy to you and purchased your freedom. Don't worry--he doesn't seem like that type. And as far as I'm concerned, once I get my money, you're free to do whatever." He helped into the saddle before he climbed on behind her, and then they were off, trotting the short distance back to the inn.

Cadmus found the Captain there with his dragon, and reined his mare to a stop. Then he grabbed the woman beneath her arms and swung her from the saddle and set her gently on the ground. "It's done."

Codestar7

"Esmerelda!" Felodas gasped, happy to see his lover safe. "I would be happy to go in myself, except that I'm afraid she'd give away that she was wanted by someone high in the military ranks. It could cause civil war if the military messed with the slavers. Esmerelda is my beloved."

Felodas handed 100 gold pieces, carefully counted from his purse, and handed them to this man.

"My names Felodas. What is yours? Care for a drink?"

Rhindeer

"WAS your beloved!" Esmerelda snapped, tears in her eyes, and slapped Felodas across the face. Not only had he not come for her when she'd been taken, not only had he not checked to see if she was okay just now, or asked how she was, or even moved to comfort her after all she'd been through at the brothel, but now he was inviting her twice captor out for a drink?!

She turned on her heels and, with a seething, hurt look Felodas's way, left.

Cadmus watched her leave as he put his coin away, then looked back to Felodas with a slight head tilt. He was...inviting him out?

Was he daft?

"No, but thank you," he said with a polite dip of his head, pointedly not giving his name. "I have business to attend. Thank you for yours."

His business, that is.

Codestar7

Feldoas looked stunned, and slowly rubbed his face where the fresh red mark stained his face.

"She slapped me..." Felodas murmered. "I only invited you because I do not hold grudges once the business is over with. So. What now?"

Felodas looked down, and wept softly, at the loss of his beloved.