Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Hand of Judgement

Started by Saber-Five, July 17, 2015, 08:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber-Five

Night claimed the skies above Reajh, the heart of the Cannloath nation. Equally dark was the mood within the city itself as of late. The Grand Duke's war against the mages continue with no end in sight and with little to show for it. Needless to say the conflict had grown increasingly unpopular amongst many people, more than ever before even from the some of the nobility. Conditions for the downtrodden had grown worse each day further complciated by an increased number of refugees from other duchies, especially from Ajfield.

So it was no wonder, that tensions had grown between those who already lived in the city and the recent arrivals. For the last few nights, a group of violent men, in disguise had been ambushing refuges in their selction of the slums, harassing them and a few been murdered. These incidents had been ruled as random acts of robbery gone bad and were dismissed since it involved mostly poor refugees many resent already. Such was the fate of a fifty some year old man in rags who was being held down to his knees by two leathered armored men while a third one, their leader repeatly punched him in the face.

They were at the corner of a street in the slums, that were mostly left untended by the city guard, hence why it was picked an ambush spot in the first place. The victim could barely scream out for help as blood loss and the mounting trauma to the head affected him.  Just was the head thug was slowing down he and the others heard footsteps coming up from behind them.

Draconian

What were those noises?

Medina wasn't one to put herself into trouble but her father had always taught her to do good when she could. Sometimes people just needed to be told off. Hesitant, already nervous about being in the 'bad part' of town it wasn't until she'd heard the sounds of a fight that she gathered the courage to go and investigate. Someone may have needed help.

Bravado was her only tool and Medina grabbed onto it, putting her hand into her pocket where she kept a slim knife - little more than a sharp letter opener. Throwing her shoulders back and lifting her head - already the same height as most men in this country - Medina let her voice ring out. "What are you lot doing?" A few steps closer - stomps more like. Make herself sound bigger. Stronger.

Or least hope they were done enough to go away.

"Get out of here before I call the guards and have you all arrested!"

Saber-Five

They all looked at the the woman in surprise but it only lasted for a second. The leader viciously smirk at the lady before snickering at the little knife she was wielding. He turned around and pull out a sword from a sheath, then he commented.

"By the time they get here lady you'll be dead."

He advanced toward her, with murderous intend evident in his predatory eyes. The other two thugs remain where they were, keeping the old man down. However above them the rooftop of a house, a cloaked figure who have just arrived witness what was occurring. The figure wore dark leather clothes, that displayed a white upraised fist in the chest area. Then the image was added with huntsman boots, a green hood and an torn cape.

Finally there was the sliver knight themed mask that covered the face. The figure looked down on the people below, in seemly calm observation before pulling out a round shaped device. Then the mysterious stranger threw it down toward the two goons and their hostage. When the device struck the pavement in front of trio, white smoke burst out from it and engulfed them much to their shock. As that happen, the masked man jumped and landed into the midst of it. Soon grunts of pain rang out and so were the sound of bodies collapsing as well. The head thug turn around, swearing just in time to be confronted by the new intruder who leaped at him out of the smoke like a demon, brandishing a rapier and thrusting it toward his direction.

The goon parry the strike, forcing the masked man pull back in time from his enemy's counter attack. Soon a duel with blades ensue right in front of Medina.

Draconian

A startled yelp and she quickly covered her hands over her mouth, her braid bouncing against her back. What the hell was that?! Smoke? Catching her dress she brought the fabric over her mouth and slowly backed up. Her back hitting a wall with a quiet grunt, she just stared, confused, frightened.

"Don't get closer to me!" she cried, shuffling away when the smoke began to dissipate. This was not what she needed today! This was in fact one of the very last things she needed. Right before dying. It was right there on the list. Get almost mugged. Die.

Saber-Five

The two men clashed their blades against one another in repeated unison, each one trying to gain the upper hand. This lasted a minute before the thug attempted to hack off his enemy's head. It was dogged however by the other man who then stuck a knee into the crotch, earning a cry of pain. The man with mask then slammed his blade's grip down on the goon's temple while stunned. With that a blow the fight was over and the would-be murderer collapsed to the hard ground, rendered unconscious.

Just as that happen, the smoke finally fade away from behind, revealing the two other crooks down as well. The bloodied old man was still on his knees, but he stared at his savior his body shook with amazement and...realization.

"Nemesis."

Looking back at the elder, the cloaked figure nodded in acknowledgment at the name. Then Nemesis glance toward the frighten Medina with her back to the wall.

Draconian

Oh no.

He was looking at her.

Medina pressed herself against the wall better, casting the beat up old man a weary glance.

Nemesis?

"What kind of name is Nemesis?!"

She blurted out before she could help herself, her hand going up to her mouth to cover her lips.

"Please don't hurt me, I didn't do anything."

Saber-Five

Her reaction was only natural, Nemesis knew. To her point of view he was strangely dressed and dangerous man standing before her in this moment. So yes this situation was most certainly predicable. With that consideration he replied in an calm yet slightly amused tone.

"It more of a title than a name in all honesty."

Then Nemesis sheathed his blade, signaling the woman he wasn't going to hurt her but he added a further comment to make sure she understood.

"I mean no harm to you milady. Though you did do something, trying to help a stranger. That more than most would've do in your position. It is very commendable."

Draconian

Medina's hands were out and she gave them a wave, shaking her head. This was not how she wanted to spend her night. Instantly she regretted coming to this part of town, everything in her had told her not to but here she was! Cornered by a psychopath who called himself nemesis.

"Uh..." She inched a few few away from him, her back still to the wall, "Thanks." Her hands went into the bag she had at her side and pulled out some cloths, bandages and a flask of water. "Here, you... You can help the old man." A long pause and she looked around, not able to come up with a decent excuse, "I.. think I hear my mom calling me for dinner."

Saber-Five

"Thank you but please wait a minute miss, this man will probably still need to see a doctor." Nemesis repiled. He hated to ask a bystander like her to help any further since it was obvious she wanted noting more to do with any of this but he believe the situation called for it. He needed to have a "talk" with the hoodlums, because he seriously doubted they were the only ones attacking refugees here. Nemesis looked at Medina and sighed.

He took the stuff she offered and went over to the bruised victim and gently laid him down and started treating him. Nemesis was no professional doctor but the way he handle the elder's treatment suggested he had some kind of experience in this sort of thing only found in combat. As he finished wrapping bandages on the man's head, the white breaded fellow looked at him.

"I know of you Nemesis, saw you once back at my village in Ahjfeld, stopping a mob to save some mage orphans. Thank Ansgar you're here, no one else listen or care about what happens to us here. Please just leave me and stop whoever causing these attacks."

Then tears rained down his bloodied cheeks, the elderly man spoke further and even griped Nemesis's left arm.

"I got a little granddaughter, she all I have left of my family, this cursed war took them all but her. Make these monsters pay so they won't hurt her or the others."

Nemesis remain slient but shush the man to calm him down and rest while he tried to finish up. But the vigilante intended to do as the old man begged once this task was done.

Draconian

Nope didn't buy it.

Medina stared between the two for a moment. The poor bloodied man on the street. The strange masked crusader. Pressing a hand to her stomach to quell the queasy feeling she squeezed her eyes shut for a moment and decided to do something besides hide. Taking a careful breath she walked closer to the strange masked man. Concern for the victim overpowered her fear of the man.

Taking out another cloth Medina pressed her hand to it, intending to wet it with magic. Nothing came though.

Visibly she paled and looked towards the masked vigilante, giving him a wider berth while she moved closer to the man. Fine, she'd do it the long way. A canteen of water was extracted from her bag and she wet it, going about wiping the blood off the mans face. Looking over her shoulder towards this masked person she kept her voice curt. "Do you think he'll need stitches?"

The other things didn't concern her.

Saber-Five

"Likely he will, these animals really done a number on him."

Nemesis commented, purposely ignoring the tone Medina was giving him. With the current priorities he had at the moment Nemesis can care less. The wounded old man looked to the woman in gratitude while he released his grip on Nemesis's arm. Now freed the vigilante got up and turned his attention to the knocked out ring leader behind him. He briskly walked toward the fellow and then violently kick him in the ribs. The goon woke moaning in pain at the sudden blow and turned to his side only to face Nemesis who pulled out his blade again and pointed it at his gut.

"Start talking scum or forfeit your life right here and now. Who behind these attacks on the refugees in this district?"

Nemesis said in voice hinting utter contempt and the man on the ground, realizing his situation wet himself and hastily replied.

"I don't know what you're talking about. We were just mugging the geezer that's all."

"Lie to me again and it's going cost your manhood."

With that threat Nemesis edged the sword toward the direction of the thug's crotch. Sweating profoundly, the guy whimpered out of fear but Nemesis felt no sympathy for him considering what he and his boys been doing.

"I'll ask again, who been putting you up to these late night activities?"

He waited for the bag of filth to answer his question with an air of frustrated fury.

Draconian

Medina jolted up, turning around swiftly.

"What are you doing?!" Her voice was sharp and it carried, and with one heavy push to the vigilante Medina glared. "You can't just threaten to cut off peoples body parts. Tie them up! Take them to the guard!" The anger dissipated quickly though and she backed up a few steps, worried about what would happen to her should this strange masked man turn on her.

"You're no better a bully than they are and I'll leave you and your wounded old man if you keep this up." She didn't want trouble. Already in a world of her own trouble, she didn't want this trouble, too.

Saber-Five

Nemesis had to admit he never expected this lady to be so bold. He can respect her conviction even though he saw it as very native. The crusader just looked at her before he said.

"Lady I'm not pretending to be a saint but don't compare me to the likes of him. Would you really abandon the real victim here simply because of some misguided notion of fairness?!"

Then Nemesis pointed his forefinger toward Medina and ranted on with genuine anger.

"For as your city guard if they have really been doing their duty as of late I wouldn't be here. This so-called man and others like him murdered, crippled, and raped refugees consistently. The guradsmen and most of your peers had ignored their cries and done noting for them. Have you ever wondered why?"

Then suddenly he slashed his sword at the thug's chest area however instead of killing or hurting him, however it just cut open his coat. Nemesis rushed over to him and torn it off of him, revealing a light shirt with the city guard's emblem for all present to see.

"I had suspected some kind of involvement between them but wasn't completely sure until now. But I still need to know exactly how deep their connection is to this crime wave."

Nemesis said and he stared down at the thug/guard who was beyond shocked that his secret was out.

Draconian

Medina stared at the man. Misguided notion of fairness. There was no misguided notion of fairness, there was being selfish and trying to survive. Medina was a very selfish woman, when she tried to help she got into trouble, this being a good example of it.  She decided that from tonight on, she'd never help anyone again. Unless it was to sew their pants.

Medina was about to throw out her hands, cry for this stranger to stop when all he did was rip clothing and.. There was more underneath? She frowned at the emblem for a moment and looking back at the stranger. What. "Just what is going on!?" She stomped  a foot down and snarled at him. Angry that she couldn't just... Use magic to make this all go away.

"Him wearing that doesn't mean anything! This could all be a set up and I'm the wrong person who stumbled into it!" Medina again, took a few steps back, giving the old man a weary apologetic look. "All I know is that you're a mordecai and I'm leaving." A look to the terrified guard and she started to edge away, "Good luck with your one man crusade."

Saber-Five

Nemesis was a bit puzzled by the bystander's statement concerning the Mordecai reference.

How could she know that? Unless...

Of course it made sense, she's a mage and by the looks of it been trying conceal that fact in order to avoid trouble and he represented the worst kind. Her statement wasn't lost on the thug either who in desperate gamble tried to throw off his trouble.

"Hey you're going to let her go?! She's one of those magic users and your kind suppose to deal with them."

Nemesis responded by edging his blade to the creep's direction and harshly retorted.

"Miserable wretch! She was trying to help you, even after what everything you done. I am not a Mordecai, not the type you're thinking of. The woman can go as she pleases, no one here is stopping here, I'm only after the guilty like you. Now stop wasting my time and talk."

The thug gulped in fierce anxiety, by this point he knew there is no way of this.

"I was a guardsman but got kicked out while back. But my old captain offer a deal yo me and some others. It imvovled good coin and a chance to get reinstated. All we have to do is thin out numbers of the refugees in the district one way or another.

"What the purpsoe for all of it." Nemesis asked

"Well so there would be less mouths to feed and to stop straining resources."

Nemesis motined for him to continue but wondered in the back of his mind how the mage would respond with her secret exposed. Likely run away and who can blame her.

Draconian

She's one of those...

Medina threw a hand up to her mouth and stared for a moment. Oh no. What had she done? She went cold and stared between the strange masked man and the 'guard'. A deep breath. Deep breaths. Was she willing to kill to keep her secret? Medina held her braid over her shoulder and took a steady shaky breath.

If she ran away the man could get away and tell her secret.

So could this masked man.

She eyed his sword.

Medina eyed his sword for a long time before she looked back at the guard.

"You have no proof I'm a magic user, " She glared at the guard, her heart skipping a beat.

"There are plenty of masked mordecai running around, pretending to do good." Another pause and she frowned, moving her hands protectively in front of her, like she was guarding something. Running away wasn't an option anymore though, not when this guard knew her secret. Or when that masked man did, too.

Saber-Five

Out of the corner of his eye, Nemesis noticed how Medina was looking at his weapon. Desperation to keep her secret was sinking in no doubt. Frustration build up in the vigilante, he had more work to do this complication was not wanted. If only she kept her mouth shut about the mordercai bit eariler they both wouldn't be in this mess. Her latest verbal jab at him wasn't improving his mood about it either

Another reminder why I hate this war.

He thought brittlely. Honestly, Nemesis didn't care that the woman was a mage. Yes that means she may have talents could make her dangerous but as long she didn't endanger the innocent there is no problem. Nemesis, ponder on what to do as his unwilling informant continue his confession.

"My captain is Fredrick Orwell, he would be back at his office waiting for my next report."

"Anyone else in the city guard leadership connected to this ring?"

"No, the captain thinks it better that it be just between him and those of us he handpicked to trust in the district. The rest of the gurad don't have the stomach for our operation and would stop it if they knew."

The captured thug replied, wondering what's going to happen to him next. Nemesis knew this cretin likely did not know anymore like say who could be supporting this crime wave. Even though it wasn't the whole guard involved, someone else perhaps had their hands in this affair. Captain Oswick however wouldn't be stupid enough to trust such details to the hired help, former guard or not. Realizing this man will certainly expose out the woman's secret and his if left alive, Nemesis had no options but one.

With one swift thrust, his blade stabbed through the scum's chest and the man stared at Nemesis, wide eyed and gasping for breath but death embrace him a moment later. Nemesis took the weapon out of the body and turned to face Medina. 

"There that one problem solved. Now before you try anything rash lady hear me out, I have no interest in whatever you are. Exposing your secret would not benefit me truth be told. Think about it, if I really was after you specifically we wouldn't be having this conversation."

Draconian

Medina's hands slapped over her mouth to muffle the scream when the masked man stabbed the guard. Going pale, her hands shook and she swallowed thickly. What they were going on about was going above her head and she just stared in horror.  It wasn't the dead body that scared her, it was how easily he killed.

"You killed him," She said in a hushed voice, a hand moving to her stomach. Another shaky breath and she stared at him, still shaking, "You... You won't... sell me out?"

Saber-Five

Talk about single minded. Nemesis thought upon hearing Medina's question. Yet that irritation he felt was replaced with realization, seeing the fearful way she looked at him. The woman obviously never seen someone get killed before. Sadly the vigilante can't say the same for himself, he made a lifetime of it, even before becoming the crusader he was now. Deep within his past were lives Nemesis took or ruined before his transformation that he regretted and probably will for the rest of his live.

It just he had extremely hard time feeling the same about scum that obviously harm others any way they want. In his point of view compassion should be reserved for the innocent or to those who reform their corrupted ways for the better. Sighing with resignation, the masked man turned away from and said.

"Like I said before I don't care what you are, your secret is safe with me. Next time though don't go spouting out that someone is a mordecai, otherwise others will figure you out quickly and won't be as generous with that information."

Meanwhile the old man who had went unconscious and didn't heard anything about their secerts was slowly awaking up. Nemesis went over to him and gently helped him up. It was a moment like this that Nemesis felt truly human. He nodded to the beggar for him to go and the old man complied and went over to Medina, struggling but moving in order to get away from there. Then Nemesis looked over to the other thugs on the pavement still out cold, hopefully he won't have to kill them like their friend.