Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sand in all the wrong places. [Globster!]

Started by Rhindeer, September 18, 2014, 01:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

And while he relaxed back in the saddle, Scarab scooted close to the front, feeling a tad awkward to be so close to him. She gripped onto Winterpeak and watched the desert pass around them, her ass and thighs already smarting from the ride. Why did kaadir have to run so...bumpy!

Hakeshna, she was going to sleep well tonight!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

The sun was already starting to crawl behind the dunes when they arrived at the camp.

It was a large, brutal looking affair, placed brazenly out on open sands. It was a circular arrangement of massive tents, surrounded on all sides by a palisade of sharpened logs that towered ten feet into the air.

The camp itself must have been two hundred or so feet wide, with the tents occupying the edge and a massive space in the center. The space in the center was occupied by a grouping of several Ogreish pack animals.  They weren't the wooly rhinos that the warriors seemed to ride. They looked more like massive, hairless mastodons than anything else, purpose bred to be laden down to the tusks with cargo.

The entire place smelled like cooking meat and revelry as they all rode in, a common feature of most Ogre encampments. As Borzclubb and his fighters returned, a collective cheer was raised around the camp by the many other Ogres that occupied it.

This wasn't just a hunting camp, it seemed like a miniature, mobile settlement!

Rhindeer

...This was not what Scarab had been expecting.

When they all mentioned a camp, she'd been expecting a dinky little camp with a few tents and a fire.

This was like a little village! And there were a lot of ogres and strange animals!

Scarab's eyes went wide as saucers as they rode into camp and she heard the collective cheer go up. Oh dear Hakeshna, she was not prepared for this! The few ogres in this party were one thing, but a whole settlement?! She truly felt like an ant among giants...

"...Oh my," she breathed, staring.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"It's not my mercenary camp, but it gets the job done!This is just a small fraction of my mercenary company. " Borzclubb said, seeing Scarab's amazement.

"Really, it's not as big as it seems. To populate this camp, it's me, my riders , a few other guards that stay behind to guard the camp, and no more than a half a dozen support workers, like cooks and animal keepers. There's eighteen of us in total, actually."

He stopped Winterpeak near the center, dismounting in front of a massive tent that was presumably his. He held out a hand that Scarab could step onto to dismount.

"Ogres like to pack for the long haul, no matte how far we're going."

Rhindeer

"Better too much than too little, I suppose," Scarab said as she looked around in awe. Adjusting her robes carefully, she swung her leg over Winterpeak and stepped down onto Borzclubb's hand, then hopped the rest of the way to the ground--

And landed rather ungracefully in the sand, because her legs had cramped up from riding!

DaGlobster

Borzclubb hadn't really been paying attention, so he didn't immediately register the fact that she'd fallen. He only looked over to wonder why she was taking so long to get off, and just happened to see her face-down in the sand.

"You alright, lass?"

Rhindeer

Well, that was graceful.

Climbing back to her feet, Scarab sighed as she brushed sand out of her hair and blinked it out of her eyelashes. "Oh, the only thing hurt here is my pride," she said, rubbing at her sore thighs. She spit to the side, getting some sand out of her mouth. "I am so done with this desert. I can't wait to be home to Essyrn, in my estate with my bed and my cats and my coffee! Ah...coffee..."

DaGlobster

"Well, if you're looking for cushy, this is the wrong encampment for you. Although, it's better than freezing out in the desert without provisions, so you can't really complain."

Borzclubb started rubbing his hands together, smelling at the air. A delicious cooking meat smell had begun wafting throughout the camp.

"Ah, the cooks are working on dinner already. Can't wait! Care for a bath in the meantime?"

Rhindeer

The meat smell did smell good--and Scarab really, really hoped it wasn't giant bug! Even if it smelled or even tasted good, her mind and stomach just couldn't get over the idea of eating insect. Especially insect she'd witnessed being so brutally beaten to death! She didn't even like bugs, but that had been...rather sad to watch.

Definitely something she'd think about whenever she screamed for a servant to smash a spider.

But at the mention of a bath, Scarab perked up, her eyes going big. "I would love one! If you can spare the water."

DaGlobster

Borzclubb looked over to the collection of hairless mastodons and pack rhinoxes idling about in the center. A few of the mastodons had massive collections of barrels strapped to their backs, and Borzclubb rubbed his chin, thinking. He motioned to a passing Ogre, and said a few things in Ogreish before the Ogre left.

"I reckon we do. We'll be leaving for Essyrn in the morning, so I think we've actually got an excess at the moment!" he laughed, before opening the flap to his tent and stepping inside, motioning for her to follow him.

The inside was  furnished a bit like a wartime commander's tent, complete with large table, sleeping necessities, and even an armor and weapons stand. Of course, everything was Ogre-sized. for example, The table itself cleared nearly five feet in height, and the bed was almost impossibly massive, large enough for around ten full grown men to sleep comfortably together.

The most interesting feature of the room, however, were the various tribal fetishes that hung from the roof or stood on the walls. Rough, geometric shapes. Sometimes fashioned into faces, sometimes into stylized animals, and sometimes into some sort of glyph. All the fetishes were done in precious metals like gold or silver, but the most interesting piece was a mask, hanging over the bed.

It depicted a snarling, mountain predator, like a lion with vast tusks. The eyes were two fist-sized diamonds, both the color of ice and sightly opaque.

Frost diamonds!

Rhindeer

To say Scarab was in awe would be an understatement.

She barely made it inside the room before she stopped and just stared at everything. First, the sheer size of so many commonplace items--like the table that nearly came to her shoulders, and the huge bed she could swim in. She felt like a child looking up at an adult-sized world all over again!

But once she got over the sheer, massive size of everything, she could focus on other things.

Like the fetishes.

Those were very relevant to her interests, and she soon stepped further into the room and headed for the walls so she could get a better look at them.

"This is amazing," she said, half to herself and half to Borzclubb as she craned her neck to get a look at it all. It was difficult because it was so much taller than she was, but a poke and a prod here with her geomancy gave her a good read on the items, let her feel the purity of the metals and--

And then she saw the mask.

And the diamonds.

Her breath caught.

"Those diamonds. What are those called?" Were those the ones Drex had mentioned?

DaGlobster

Borzclubb quietly closed the tent flap behind them, and watched Scarab idle about the room, with her jaw on the floor, staring at all the fetishes and things. He smiled, amused by her wonderment, before she asked about the diamonds.

"Frost diamonds. They're from the Thunderblacks."

Rhindeer

Scarab felt at the gems with her magic, still gaping up at them in awe.

"They're gorgeous," she said. "I've never seen anything like them...Drex had told me about them, actually! He said you have hordes of them?"

DaGlobster

"Tons! They're usually as big as your fist, too."

Borzclubb lumbered over to the mask, and pulled it down so Scarab could look at the frost diamonds. The whole thing was made of wood, except for the tusks and eyes. The tusks were made of platinum, and they gleamed in the torchlight inside the tent.

"Every Ogre gets one when they reach maturity."

Rhindeer

"All these precious metals...do these metals come from your home, too?" Scarab asked, reaching out to lightly run a finger along one gleaming tusk before leaning forward to examine the diamonds more closely.

DaGlobster

Borzclubb nodded proudly.

"Yep. Us Mountain Ogres mine a lot. It's one of our only pastimes, really."

Rhindeer

"And you wouldn't happen to have, say, an excess of these precious items, would you?" Scarab asked. "You know, so many you have no idea what to do with them all, and perhaps would like to clear up a little room, maybe trade them with someone for other goods you need..."

DaGlobster

"That's a discussion over dinner, remember? I never do business on an empty stomach."

As that was their cue, the tent flap opened, and a pair of ogres carrying an open barrel with steaming water entered. They set it down in the center of the room, and left.

"Well, your bath's here, so I'll go ahead and leave you to your own devices. Dinner'll be ready by the time you get out. Any questions before I go?"

Rhindeer

"Oh! Indeed, you're right! Please pardon my rudeness, I fear I lost myself there," Scarab said, coloring at his rather polite reminder. But she'd gotten so excited once she'd actually seen the gems! After all, gems and jewels and precious metals were her life! They were her empire!

Buuut it was still nothing that couldn't wait.

Especially since she had a bath waiting for her!

Looking over at him, she shook her head. "Nothing I can think of. Except, perhaps, where should I meet you when I'm done?"

DaGlobster

[Argh, I'm really bad at remembering to bold the Ogre speech! *Angrily shakes fist*]

"Just call for someone to take the bath away when you're done. We'll eat in this tent." Borzclubb said, and rubbed the belly plate of his armor.

"Can't wait for dinner...Mountain Mother, I'm hungry..." He muttered as he turned to leave. Stomping towards the door, he started guffawing.

"If you need some fresh clothes, I've got a scarf that might fit ya!" Borzclubb added with a snicker. He always found the diminutive stature of humans to be an endless source of amusement.