Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sand in all the wrong places. [Globster!]

Started by Rhindeer, September 18, 2014, 01:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"I'd also likely be dead, so I'll refrain," Scarab said, and pointed to her chest.

"Take this to the door, if you will, and I'll meet you there. I have a letter to write and send, instructions for my people, but I shouldn't be long!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Drex nodded, and he picked up her chest full of luggage and held it under his arm like it was nothing.

"Take your time," Drex said, and he walked to the front door. He set the chest down, and waited.

Rhindeer

It took around twenty minutes for Scarab to compose her letter, and hand it off to a courier. Her home would be taken care of, as usual, but she wanted to ensure the business end would be accounted for. When she was done, she said goodbye to Queen, then joined Drex at her door.

"My business should survive without me for a time now," she said as she stepped up to him. "And by the time we arrive in Adela, I should have a message waiting for me concerning acquiring all the iron and steel I'll need to make the trade. It will cost me a good chunk of my gems, but for frost diamonds? I'm willing to pay. A lot. And I know many people willing to provide."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

For about three of those twenty minutes, Drex waited patiently at the door. The other seventeen were spent wandering around her house, ducking under archways and chandeliers, and terrifying her cats.

It wasn't  his fault that he spooked them! It must've just been his size.

When she finally came, he listened to her, and nodded at her words.

"Many a trader has met their fortune as a result of their dealings with the Mountain Tribes," he said, and he picked her chest back up.

"Are you ready to go, Scarab?"

Rhindeer

"It's now or never!" Scarab said with a smile and a nod and motioned for the door.

DaGlobster

Drex smiled at Scarab's eagerness and he opened the door, stepping through and holding it open for her. He went to his rhinox and strapped her luggage to the side of the saddle. He mounted up, and held his hand down to her.

"Let's go, then."

Rhindeer

Scarab reached for his hand and let him haul her up, once more taking her place in the saddle before him. And then she took a deep breath and let it out slowly, hardly believing what she was doing.

She was really doing this. And on such short notice.

Her parents would roll in their graves! But she was also certain they would be very proud, to see her taking risks and being as bold and fearless as they had taught her.

She smiled back at Drex. "To the Thunderblacks, then!"

DaGlobster

Drex pulled her up and set her against his abdomen so she had something to put her back against. He took up the reign, and gave them a gentle shake while nudging the rhinox in the side with his feet. With a grumpy whuff the beast started to move.

"Borzclubb's gonna be pretty excited that you're coming along sooner than planned. I think he likes you," Drex said.

Rhindeer

"You think so?" Scarab asked with a smile back at him.  "Good! I had that impression as well but a fresh, unbiased perspective always helps! He seems to believe I'll do well before your Tyrants."

DaGlobster

"You've got the spunk for it," Drex said.

"But here's a tip of my own. From a perspective not as high up as Borzclubb's."

He looked down at her.

"It's not just the negotiation and your manners that you've gotta watch out for. You gotta show them that you can party, too. Us ogres love to feast and celebrate, and if you do as we do, you'll click much better with them."

Rhindeer

Scarab blinked, then let out a soft laugh. "Well, that's the least objectionable bit of advice I've received thus far! Everything else sounded a little intimidating, I'll confess. Being told that the key to their favor is partying..."

But then she paused, twisted, and looked back at Drex. "Wait. What is an ogre's idea of a good party?"

She somehow had a feeling it would be vastly different from that of an Essyrni merchant princess.

DaGlobster

Drex sighed wistfully at her question.

"Drinking, maybe some fistfighting, music, dancing," he listed.

"It's wild. You're gonna have a great time."

Rhindeer

Scarab swallowed.

"I...can't really be expected to partake in any fistfighting, I hope."

DaGlobster

"No, no, it isn't mandatory to get into a fistfight. You... also might want to watch yourself when you dance, too."

A pause.

"If you dance with me, though, you'll be fine."

Rhindeer

She let out a relieved sigh at that, slouching back against his chest.

"Then save a dance for me," she said. "Ah, what are your peoples' dances like? You'll have to teach me before we arrive."

DaGlobster

"Uhh..."

He thought about it for a good moment or two.

"Well, there's stomping, clapping, swinging around on each-other's arms."

He cleared his throat.

"How do humans dance?"

Rhindeer

"It varies from culture to culture," Scarab said, "and even varies among the rich and poor. In Essyrn, at least, our most popular form is belly dance, an art that emphasizes grace, sensuality, and core strength."

And then her expression soured as she looked back at Drex. "Not to be confused with the lewd, perverted version that low lifes sell to gullible foreigners. There are  many forms of the real sort,  from social dances to ones you do alone, to dances for worship, or dances for children, dances as prayer and art and celebration, dances around the campfire or for one's husband."

She waved a hand. "We have other dances too. Some native, some new. But that dance is our dance."

DaGlobster

"Seems like we're gonna be teaching each other a lot then, right?" Drex said, and he smirked.

"I'm sure it won't be too hard to learn."

They rode in silence for a few moments.

"You should bring some drinks. The Tyrants love gifts like that."

Rhindeer

Scarab looked back at Drex, and had to bite her lip to keep from giggling at the sudden, powerful image of him belly dancing to an Essyrni tune. Now, it was said anyone could do the dance, regardless of body type, and that was true--but something about the thought of Drex doing it seemed...really silly. He was so huge! Could he even pull off delicate movements like that?

Of course, she may as well laugh while she could, because she imagined she would look equally ridiculous doing ogreish stomping and carrying on.

She cleared her throat to stifle her laughter, though she was still grinning widely. "Shall we stop at market and get some, then?" she asked. "Or should we wait 'til Adela? Will it keep that long?"

DaGlobster

"Yeah, as long as you get it in caskets," Drex said.

"I think I'm going to pick some up, too. I have some coin on me."