Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sand in all the wrong places. [Globster!]

Started by Rhindeer, September 18, 2014, 01:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Dinner?" Scarab repeated, and her stomach twisted again. "Who do you mean, 'we'?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Well, we as in everyone present. Mountain Ogres are a hospitable people. We'll share our kill with you."

With that, he started walking towards the dead ankheg. The Ogres had all started to gather in front of it, admiring their work.

"A week in this damned desert. Good to know it was worth it!" Borzclubb laughed, kicking the ankheg's lifeless head.

Rhindeer

"WHAT?" Scarab said, staring, aghast, at Drex as he walked away. "Surely you can't mean...you don't expect me to...? I can't eat that!"

And she glanced over at the celebrating ogres and the dead, disgusting creature, and her stomach did another flip flop.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Why not? It's meat. Besides, you've got to eat something. Look at you, you're as thin as my fingers!" Drex said nonchalantly, and got up, stretching a bit.

The other Ogres had started to carve the creature up, beginning the process of taking anything that might be even remotely seen as a trophy and isolating the meat from the rest of the body.

Rhindeer

"Because it's disgusting! It's like...like a giant bug! I don't eat bugs!" Scarab said, watching in abject horror as the ogres carved the creature up.

DaGlobster

Drex shook his head. He watched the ogres systematically take the thing apart. He figured they had it handled, so he stayed with Scarab.

"Don't knock it 'till you try it, lass. If you're feelin' squeamish though, I suppose one of the boys will happily trade you your share for his meat ration," He explained.

Rhindeer

Scarab shot Drex a cautious look. "What kind of meat?"

Because she had seen now that these ogres had no qualms about eating giant...bug things! Who knew how far their definition of "meat" stretched?

DaGlobster

Drex sighed.

"Well, it varies. But if you're intent on pryin', it's never anything too fancy. It's mostly just rhinox, cow, and other large mammals. You might get bear, if you're lucky."

At the mention of bear meat, Drex hungrily rubbed his ample belly, which was a common feature that all Mountain Ogres seemed to share.

Rhindeer

Bear? Scarab wrinkled her nose at that as well. Clearly, they had a much different idea of what was 'good' than she did!

"Maybe I'm better off not knowing what you give me," she said, her shoulders slouching. She wiped some sweat from her brow, feeling like she could melt in this heat. "Hakeshna, I would kill for just some flatbread and tahini!"

DaGlobster

"What and what now?" Drex asked.

"Why would anyone flatten bread?"

Rhindeer

"What? It's not...it's not bread that's been flattened, it's...it's flatbread. Bread that bakes flat, and you dip it in things..." Scarab said slowly, staring at Drex in horror and wonder.

DaGlobster

"Oh. You mean grindbread. Yeah, we have that.

Drex scratched his belly.

"What was that second thing?"

Rhindeer

"Tahini?" Scarab asked, still staring at him. "It's a sauce, you can mix it with things and put it on things, make a yoghurt with it, dip your grindbread in it..."

DaGlobster

"What's it made of?"

Drex turned to fully face her, the conversation at hand taking his attention away from the ankheg being butchered a hundred feet away.

Rhindeer

"Sesame seeds!" Scarab said, her mouth watering at the thought. "Sesame seeds and spices. It's very good! I can't believe you've never had it. Have you even been to Essyrn?"

Then she paused, taking in his size and odd looks, and added, "...Probably not, right?"

DaGlobster

"Well, we're called Mountain Ogres for a reason. I'm sure we can come up with something at camp you'll be comfortable eating. After all, if nothing else, us Mountain Ogres are foodies at heart. The itinerant chef'll whip something up for you, no problem!"

Drex smiled at her, hoping that'd pick her spirits up.

Rhindeer

Scarab still wasn't so sure she could trust what they'd cook, but she also knew her options were to suck it up--or starve until she got home. And she didn't think that would do! She never skipped meals, not on purpose, and she got dizzy when she did. In the worst of cases, she passed out.

So, it looked like she'd just have to deal with it. Sigh.

Yet at the same time, wouldn't this be good for her? She did like to try new things, and did enjoy broadening her horizons, but...well, even then, there were limits! Like eating unidentifiable meat...or bugs.

"As long as it's something I can identify, I am...open to trying new things," she said cautiously, as she glanced over against her better judgment at the beast being sliced up. She looked away just as quickly, making a face.

DaGlobster

In the brief moment she looked over to the Ankheg, she'd notice it was looking a whole lot more barren than it was a few minutes ago. Borzclubb was putting some of the ankheg's plates against his shoulders, wondering if they could be fashioned into pauldrons.

"Don't you worry, lady. Mountain Ogres may not look it, but we're a hospitable people. We'll arrange for you as best we can. I mean, there's not much else we can do with our immeasurable wealth."

Rhindeer

That got Scarab's attention.

She turned to look at Drex, her eyebrows rising. "Immeasurable wealth?"

DaGlobster

"Oh yeah. Living up in the mountains, we Mountain Ogres don't get that much trade. We just kind of hoard all the rare gems and ores we mine up. You know, frost diamonds actually come from Mountain Ogre mines. They're so damned rare because nobody's got the constitution to trade with us. So much gold sitting around, too. Most Ogres are too large to work that delicate stuff, so we just have piles of gold ingots laying about."

He looked down at her.

"I know we don't look too wealthy, but mercenaries like us have no need for fancy clothes and all that."