Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

We will rock you! [Tally]

Started by Rhindeer, July 31, 2014, 01:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Pepper drew a deep breath and paused just outside the door to Master Feyrluna's office, hands worrying at the hem of her robes. She'd screwed up. She'd screwed up so badly. Hopefully he was available right now, because she'd rather go to him than anyone else, especially over something like, well...this.

After a moment's pause to be sure no one was around, she knocked on the door. "Master Feyrluna? Master Feyrluna, ya in? C'mooon, please be in!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

"I am in fact out," Maza said, approaching from behind her, having just turned the corner on his way to his study.  He wore the cumbersome robes of an archmage.  Couldn't stand them, as it happened, so he compromised with college tradition and tolerated them only when in class or for formal occasions.

Now, this one was, ah...Pepper!  Yes.  "You sound distressed, my dear, what is it?"

Rhindeer

Pepper spun around, and the distress in her expression instantly melted to starry-eyed hope. "Thank bloody Kia!" Bouncing on the balls of her feet, she glanced around them to make sure they were still alone, and then slid in closer and lowered her voice.

"Okay, so, ya see, uh, y'know the library? It's, uh, it's..." How should she put this? She took a deep breath and made her expression as not-guilty as she could muster.

"...It's, uh, sorta all...rocks. Like, everything. Ev-ry-thing. I was just goin' in to study--y'know, like ya should do--and, uh...it was like that when I got there. All rocks. Books and all."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

"Pepper, language," he muttered, but she was off again, probably didn't even hear him with how distressed she was.

Distressed for good reason, it turned out.  "The whole library you say?  Is...stone?"

Maza's first thought was that this was a sight he simple must see.  His second was a bit of healthy skepticism.  He adopted his very best gently-stern face.  "Now, Pepper.  You know every detail is essential in the application of magic--and in fixing it.  Did you really just find the library like that?"

Rhindeer

Pepper couldn't help but shrink a little under Maza's stern gaze. Even if it wasn't even mean stern! She swallowed hard and shifted her eyes away from his. "Er...uh huh. S'what I said. I found it like that," she muttered.

Tally

"Oh?  That's a shame!  This is troublesome, to be sure, but to turn an entire library to stone--especially one as big as ours--would take incredible talent.  Come, we must find who is responsible and congratulate them.  I expect the archmages will be quite impressed."

Maza swept away from her, leading the way down the hall.

Rhindeer

Wait, what?

"That is to say, I found it like that after I'd used my magic!" Pepper said, quickly falling into step beside Maza.

Tally

Maza smiled and didn't bother to try and hide it, being quite satisfied with himself just then.

"Ahh, I misunderstood you, then.  You mean to say that you turned the library to stone, yes?"

Rhindeer

Pepper puffed out her chest, now very proud of herself. She adjusted her floppy hat, flipped her curly hair, and grinned up at him. "Yup! I turned the library to stone!"

Tally

Maza made a chuckle that was very nearly a girlish squeal.  He wheeled about and clasped Pepper's hands in his own.

"Pepper how remarkable!  Troublesome, as I said, but think of what you will be able to accomplish when you can harness that kind of power at will."

Rhindeer

"R-really?" Pepper said, a little startled by Maza's sudden exuberance but also excited by it. She clasped his hands tightly and beamed up at him, still bouncing on her heels--but with eagerness now, rather than nervousness.

"I mean, really! Of course! Yeah, I'll get to turn all sortsa shit to stone!"

Tally

"Language.  And yes, all manner of things!  Not just a great scope of items but a considerable amount of them as well."

Maza lead her on, taking the stairs downward toward the library.  Once they passed into more populated floors, staff and students began passing them, running toward the library as news of the event spread.

"Learn to replicate and control this kind of effect and any High Lord or Lady will want you for their army."

Rhindeer

As usual, Pepper ignored Maza's remark on language. At this point, it was just background noise to her. Still beaming, she practically skipped down the steps after him and hopped over the last three, her grin widening as she saw the commotion downstairs. Boy, they must all be excited to see what she'd done, then, if it was apparently super great and marvelous and not all terrible like she'd thought it was!

Maza's words brought her back. "Huh? Wha? Their army? Hah, fuck no! I ain't joinin' no army, gettin' hacked up, smashin' people. That all makin' rocks is good fer?"

Tally

Maza laughed at the image she brought up.  "Hacked up?  Blessed Kia, my dear, you wouldn't be anywhere near the fighting!  No no, you would hold a place of honor, stationed on a hill somewhere with the general and overseeing the battle, bringing down calamity upon the enemy forces.  That is how a mage wages war."

Unless one were a mageknight, but riding into the thick of battle when one had the option to bestow death from afar always struck Maza as idiocy incarnate.

"Though of course the army is but one option.  I only use it as an example.  Learn to control that level of power well enough and you will have your choice of profession and province both."

The closer they got the library, the more the collective voices raised—mostly in distress.

Rhindeer

Pepper huffed with relief and wiped imaginary sweat from her brow. "Whew! Good! 'Cause boy, I really ain't into this whole rainin' calamity idea. Killin' people? Being some other group's attack dog? Nuh uh. No thanks."

And then, under her breath, she added, "'Sides, this university already owns my ass..."

Between that and the whole thing where she got betrayed and sold into slavery for like a day, she was really looking forward to the not-so-foreseeable day when she could finally own herself. Maybe. Eventually.

Yeeeah...

As they drew closer, Pepper could hear voices but not make out the words. Sounded like her flub had attracted a lot of attention, that was for sure! She picked up her pace a little, grin broadening. Some of those voices sounded downright panicked. Probably because her little experiment had put a crimp in any hopes of studying, and that thought gave her a little pleasure--mostly because she didn't like very many of her classmates, so sabotage, even accidental sabotage, was always rather satisfying.

Tally

"Mm," Maza said.  "Indeed.  The university will have its due, as we mustn't forget."

The press of students and masters parted before them as word filtered through the crowd that the archsage had arrived.  Maza lead Pepper past them all and into the library--which was, indeed stone.  All of it the same jagged, rough-textured rock.

The chatter subsided, as those gathered awaited the archsage's words.

"Well, my dear," Maza said.  "You did not exaggerate."

Rhindeer

"I toldja," Pepper said, rubbing the back of her neck and shifting her eyes away from the stone guiltily. "I don't exaggerate. Um, yer really gonna be able to undo all this?"

Because she knew as much as anyone did that the books here were priceless, many old and irreplaceable. She was pretty certain the university would have her head if anything actually was damaged--and not just in a "stern talking to" way, but in a literal way that made her palms sweat.