Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Ice Cave (Sentinel)

Started by Ethereal-Star, October 07, 2014, 02:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

Setting her pack down on the icy ground, Adelaide sighed in relief. While it was cold inside, her breath coming out in frosty puffs of air, she was used to the cold climate here. Even though it was chilly, the outdoors were even more so, the cave walls blocking out much of the icy winds from outside. She came here often, usually to practice her icy magic or simply as a safe haven to rest and relax.

Adelaide began preparations for a small fire, gathering the sticks and dry brush she had collected outside that were scattered about here and there among the snow and ice. After she had a small decent fire going she warmed her hands up briefly near the red blaze flickering merrily. She looked around smiling contently. The cave was fairly small, but had enough room to move about in. She simply referred to it as the 'The Ice Cave', due to its frosty blue crystalline formations that resembled actual stalagmites and stalactites normally found in caves and caverns. The walls were a shimmering ethereal blue, something she had always found quite beautiful and mesmerizing. Today was no different. If she were a painter, she could easily paint such a picturesque scene, preserving it for all eternity. But alas, that was not so. While she appreciated art, she found she had little talent for it.

As she gazed around her, the walls sparkled merrily as if the fire didn't bother it. It never did, she surmised. Countless times she had built fires here, and the ice around stayed intact mysteriously. She had wondered if perhaps this cave were home to some kind of elemental ice spirit, but there had never been any sightings of one, nor could she sense such a spirit here. If there was, this would greatly explain the cave's resistance to fire. Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't. While Adelaide had decent ice abilities, she was by no means an archmage. Not even close.

The mage closed her eyes and rested, quite content to be here. She was about to drift off to sleep, when suddenly she heard a low growl. Alarmed, she opened her eyes quickly and whirled around to see who the intruder was.

Sentinel

From the shadows within the cave, Astrauld emerged in the form of a large, muscular wolf. On his side was a massive gash, which he hoped would be hidden by the fur. You cannot show weakness, Astrauld. You must stand strong, he thought.

He glared at the person before him, using his electromagnetic senses to analyze her body. She had a stable, but racing heartbeat. A human female, she was shorter in stature, hardly a threat to someone of his strength and size. Damn it, Astrauld, you've got to stop being cocky, he angrily thought. You're not the god you used to be.

He attempted to take a step forward when he finally succumbed to the pain, falling down and howling in despair. Unable to stay in that form, his body morphed, encompassed by a black shroud covering him head to toe. This lasted for a few seconds, and when the shadowy cloud dissipated, there was only Astrauld, in his preferred, human form. Seven feet tall, clad in his normal assassin's clothing, his curved blades in their holsters and with a large gash on his right side.

His hand went over the wound. No blood, like those of mortals, spewed from the wound. In fact, there was nothing but blackness within it, which none of this world could have ever come into contact with.

Astrauld forced himself up with his arms, looking up to the mage. "Who are you?" he asked.

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide watched as the large wolf transformed into a shape resembling that of a tall robed figure. She couldn't see his face (for she assumed it to be a he) for it was covered in a golden mask of some unfamiliar design. Still on guard, she analyzed the person warily, her hand still at her side where her dagger lay. Something about him seemed dark and unnatural like he was not of this world or even this universe. A wound at his side which held a strange blackness further confirmed this.

Adelaide was of the mind to know that a fight with such a being would not end well for her, she could tell this being whatever he was, was quite powerful. She was not going to be stupid and rush into a conflict without weighing all the facts first. However, she mentally readied her magic if it indeed did come to that. The mage would not go down without a fight. But hopefully that wouldn't be the case.

He had asked her a question, she realized. Adelaide stood up carefully, still wary. "My name is Adelaide." she answered evenly. "I am simply resting here in this cave, before I venture onwards on my travels." she stated. "Now, I answered your question. Who are you?" she questioned looking straight at him, trying to remain calm and cool.

Sentinel

Astrauld lost his strength and fell to the ground, gripping the wound on his side and groaning. "I am Astrauld Drehal... you may have heard your elders speak of me, though I have not heard any talk of me in years. Once they called me the Kingslayer, but this was long ago." he explained. His hand went over the wound and he started to shake. "I've no issue with you resting in this cave. I can leave if this is your wish. I sense your hostility, I know of your readied magic. You hide nothing from me." Astrauld struggled as he tried to get to his feet, but fell back to the ground. "Damn it all!" he angrily bellowed.

Ethereal-Star

"The Kingslayer." Adelaide thought to herself. "Nope, doesn't ring a bell." she decided silently.
When he inquired as to whether he should leave and let her be, she shrugged nonchalantly. "Do what you wish, I care not."

Adelaide wasn't quite sure what to do when Astrauld, as he told her his name to be, suddenly collapsed on the ground due to the wound at his side. She didn't know this being at all or whether she could trust him, plus she had no healing skills to speak of. Oh sure, she could do minor things like clean wounds and apply bandages but that was the extent of her 'healing abilities.' She pondered a bit on what to do, before hesitantly going up to him, trying to decide on a course of action.

Sentinel

"I know your thoughts... Adelaide, is it?" Astrauld asked. "The elders talk of me in the ancient days, how I split the nations of Connlaoth and Serendipity and freed the people from tyranny... But versions of the story vary from person to person, yet it seems you have little interest in me... You fear me to an extent, as you should. It is natural to fear what you do not understand."

"And it is natural to fear what is unnatural!" A voice, coming from seemingly everywhere, boomed and shook the cave, some icicles falling from the ceiling.

"Looks like we've got company, Adelaide," Astrauld said with a smirk. "You are in for a treat. Not many get the pleasure of meeting one so powerful as Perish."

Ethereal-Star

When Astrauld mentioned that he was responsible for splitting apart the nations of Connlaoth and Serendipity, she recalled the stories she had heard whilst growing up in Northoak. Her parents and other townspeople had talked much about the fall of the former nation which used to encompass what is today now both separate kingdoms. While there was much speculation among everyone about the former nation and the resulting aftermath, there were only brief mentions of what or who had actually caused the destruction. Given the stories she had heard were rather vague though, only suggesting some dark entity from beyond the void played a major role. Adelaide wasn't sure what to make of these claims however. Some of them sounded like wild tales spun at your normal rowdy tavern by dirty, disgusting drunkards and crazy madmen. She had found some of these re-tellings to be of great interest while others had made her question the sanity of the person telling them.

However, seeing this being before her claim to be the cause of which everyone spoke of, gave her pause. The ice mage was now glad she had tempered her aggressions. Pure gut instinct of course. She didn't care to think of what the alternative could've been.

When a booming voice coming from no direction she could rightly point to shook the cave, Adelaide tensed. A faint flicker of memory touched her mind when Astrauld mentioned the voice belonged to someone called 'Perish', but it quickly eluded her. She stood alert, ready for whatever was going to make its presence known.

Sentinel

"Damn it, father, you've got the mage scared!" Astrauld bellowed. "Can't you just make a normal entrance for once?"

There was a cackle that, once again, shook the cave. "Normality's never been my expertise, my child!" A great shadow set upon the entrance of the cave.

The wound on Astrauld's side began to heal and he slowly stood up. "Come, Adelaide!" he said, rushing to the cave entrance.

Before them was a vast plain of snow and standing on it was a giant black creature, tall as towers and extremely muscular. It looked down at Astrauld with a smile. "Why don't you ever send me letters, Astrauld?" Perish sarcastically asked. "Or visit! I am quite easy to find, and you even got a little girlfriend without my permission!"

"Sarcastic bastard..." Astrauld mumbled in amusement.

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide decided to ignore the girlfriend comment and instead examined the tall black creature with some trepidation. This thing, which was apparently Astrauld's father was HUGE. And it looked quite vile too. Adelaide remained on her guard, and asked in as calm a voice as she could manage, "What are you and what do you want? Why do you come here?" She hefted her bag over her shoulder, adjusting it. Then to Astrauld, she said, "And I am NOT afraid! Just being cautious is all." She frowned at the massive creature, waiting to see what it would do.

Sentinel

"I see all emotions, and I do not care for their justifications, especially when they are not needed. You have perfect reason to be afraid." The scar on Astrauld's side healed up completely.

Perish, even from so high, could notice the detail of the scar, kneeling down on the plains below so that the cave was shoulder high on his body. "Astrauld, you damn buffoon, how many times must you try and escape?" Perish asked. The will of Overlord is inescapable. You're stuck on this planet and every time you try to escape that gash reappears.. Not even you are strong enough to handle such pain." He looked at Adelaide. "And who in the world might you be? Oh wait, I already know! Electromagnetic telepathy is a damn treat!"

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide looked up at the large towering creature and lifted her chin up trying her best to appear calm. "If you already know..." she began coldly. "Then why ask? And you never answered my question." She chanced a glance out of the corner of her eye at Astrauld to see what he was doing, then turned her attention back on the monstrosity before her, glaring at it.

"Why are you here?" she repeated.

Sentinel

"To answer your first question, I am the same thing as the Kingslayer down there, something that can only be called a Void Walker. He and I learned to ask questions for the sake of realism. While we are not all knowing we tend to understand everything we come into contact with... Also, simplicity is not my way of life. I enjoy the input of others no matter how useless it may be." Perish explained. "I am here for the sake of Astrauld. Our wounds heal in the presence of other Void Walkers."

"I could have survived it!" Astrauld insisted.

Perish chuckled softly. "Stubborn as usual, Astrauld, he mumbled. "You've no clue how much I respect that quality." Perish shrunk his body down to Astrauld's size on the plain far below, beginning to levitate up to the entrance of the cave, touching the ground softly with his feet and standing before Adelaide, sticking out his hand. "I know not what formalities matter to you. I am Xallyr Drehal, otherwise known as Perish. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide stared at the offered hand, then looked back up at Xallyr with a grim expression. The mage didn't trust this being. Not one bit. She wasn't sure she trusted Astrauld either, but this one.... This one was worse, she could tell. Her tendency to give people the cold shoulder had not always made her very popular with everyone. Some had even called her 'The Ice Bitch' behind her back when they thought she was out of ear-shot of their conversations. It wasn't that she wasn't friendly, she just took awhile to warm up to others. Traveling as she did, didn't make things easier in that regard.

"I'm Adelaide, as I'm sure you already know." she said slowly. She still did not shake his hand. "As for it being a pleasure in meeting, that's debatable. Your 'spectacular' arrival leaves much to be desired. Why should I trust you? You've given me no reason to."

Sentinel

"Well, consider that I've also given you no reason to not trust me... Astrauld and I contain the power to destroy planets on a whim and we've not destroyed this one for the thousands of years we have been here." Perish explained, putting his hand down. "But I understand your view."

Ethereal-Star

"Fair enough." Adelaide replied. "But, I still don't trust you." Pausing a moment, she continued. "However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt in that you haven't tried to attack me or anything. I guess the real question is this: what happens now?" She looked to Astrauld for the answer. "I myself must continue on my way. It needn't concern either of you where to." 

Sentinel

"Perhaps that isn't a bad idea, but I've no doubt your curiosity... I wonder, Adelaide, have you ever seen the world as a bird would?" Astrauld asked.

Where is the relevancy in that statement? Perish wondered. Does he wish to make her fly?

Ethereal-Star

Confused, Adelaide stared at him, trying to figure out what he meant by that. "What do you mean?" she questioned. "Are you saying you can view the world as a bird can? Like flying?"

Sentinel

"Only if you want," Astrauld calmly replied. All three of them began to levitate from the ground.

Ethereal-Star

At first, Adelaide was startled when they began lifting off the ground. But as they continued to ascend higher and higher, the ground below them getting further and further away with each passing second, she slowly began to relax. She looked around her as they rose to near cloud level, in awe of the view. She could honestly say she had never experienced this before. The view below was....breathtaking, to say the least. The landscape below was so tiny now, all the buildings, homes and other monuments faded into the distance, until there were only dots signifying the major landmarks. They passed right through a layer of cloud, the wispy gas completely insubstantial. She reached out a hand to it, but it was like trying to catch air itself. The air pressure up here was also more intense. It was a strange feeling to say the least.

Adelaide was rather enjoying this. It made her feel more free. It was like the cares of the world had slipped away, leaving nothing but a tranquil peace in its wake.

Sentinel

"Enjoying yourself?" Astrauld asked. "Wonderful. I've been up here many a time, plotting my escape from this world but to absolutely no avail."

"Yes, it seems we are trapped here for all eternity... It is a hard life," Perish admitted. "Astrauld and I make friends but it seems never for long compared to our endless lifespan."

"We watch friendship, life, love, and hatred fade into nothingness, the efforts of billions of people become meaningless over time, but yet marvel at the fortunate beauty of our prison," Astrauld explained with a twinge of optimism.