Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Types of Magic and the Mordecai

Started by Ethereal-Star, October 08, 2014, 06:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

Okay, just want to make sure I understand something. To clarify, magic for this RP is divided into two types: immortal forces and mortal magics. Now, is racial abilities considered "immortal forces"? To me, and I've given this some thought, mortal magics are learned magics whereas immortal forces are innate or granted by some higher (or lower) power or other type of immortal being that is neither fiendish nor divine such as a fey or elemental spirit. Immortal forces seem to be a "you either have it or you don't" type of thing and would not fade due to non-use whereas mortal magics it's "use it or lose it" kind of thing. And mortal magics would have levels of experience or degrees of strength whereas immortal forces that wouldn't apply. Like for example a god with god powers would wield immortal forces versus a mage or magic-user learning to control their powers with varying levels of knowledge on its usage would be mortal magics. A god doesn't start off at level 1 or as a beginner, again it's you have it or you don't. So what this super long ramble is trying to say is let's say I have a fantastical race of beings whose powers are limited only to their kind and it is not something that can be learned by anyone else. So that would make it both an immortal force AND racial ability. Or are they both the same thing?

Again simple deduction is this in terms of the two types: mortal magics=learned magics vs. immortal forces=innate or granted by some powerful being (and could easily be taken away too if the power is abused, but only if its granted to them in the first place and not innate.)

As for the Mordecai if I understand correctly a Mordecai could be either gender whereas an Adhara is only a female and has to be part of the Knights of the White Lily military order. Right?

And sorry again for rambling but I have thought (perhaps too much) on something here. For example, let's say an Adhara is in an enchanted forest or nearby a magical healing spring or lake. So that means that said forest or lake is disenchanted while in this person's proximity and would no longer be magical at that point? Until the Mordecai woman leaves? I would think that would create some interesting roleplay where nymphs and forest spirits and woodland elves, etc. would not allow such a person into their lands to begin with. To them it would be an affront to the land's magic and beauty. That's how I see it anyway.

So, I think that's all I have to say and ask on the matter for now. Sorry for being nit picky, just trying to get my thoughts out about this and who knows maybe someone else is wondering the same thing.

SilmeriaElemred

So basicly, Silmeria being a phoenix...
Her tears and fire related magic are racial.

The humanform was more like a self defence mechanism to walk around in towns normally without kicking stuff over (or being hunted for feathers/ captured and tamed as a pet, name it). It requires magic energy for her to stay in humanform

I suppose the most logic thing would be that if mordecai neutralise magic, that Silmeria would lose her humanoid appearance and turn into her original form?
But since everything else is racial, she as a phoenix could still use her flame and tear related magic?

Lion

Mordecai can indeed be either gender, but only Knights of the White Lily are women.  Adharism is a more intense form of an anti-magic field with a much shorter range (like you have to be right next to them more or less, or at the very least a few feet).

To cover the subject of Mordecai first, I think the proximity of their anti-magic field is generally dependent entirely on the player themselves, just as a person making a Serenian can decide if their character is extremely allergic to iron, or only has a slight aversion to it, etc.  It's possible that an Adhara's proximity field might have an affect on magical areas, since inanimate magical items are affected by their powers as well.  I believe that's another case where the specified potency the Adharism is up to the player.  If they're field is strong enough to disable magical areas of effect, that might be entirely plausible.  But I think it's also fairly possible that an Adhara's gift probably applies only to people and things, rather than places and parcels of enchanted land.  If there are more questions regarding this, you could probably PM Rhi for specifics.

I think the separation between mortal magics and immortal ones separate them between a divine level and a very 'physical' one.  Immortal magics include divine powers (Gods, spirits, demons, etc.) and the powers given down by those.  Mortal magics include nearly everything else, elemental magic, primal magic, etc.  I believe race abilities, if it's indeed magic would likely be affected by a Mordecai's anti-magic field (but remember these facets are entirely up to the player, to keep things more or less evened out) and would thus be included in mortal magics, whether the character is apart of some fantastical race or otherwise.  It would make sense if you think of 'immortal' forces as beyond the mortal plane of existence.

But most of these things are generally free to the decision of the player.

I think you have the gist of it more or less, and if there was any confusion, I hope I was able to clear something up for you. (:

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

SilmeriaElemred

Basicly it would be fun if sil could maintain her humanoud form. Would have a nice element of suprise

Ethereal-Star

I think, for clarity's sake, racial abilities (not to be confused with racial traits which are inherent to the race itself) should be its own category of magic. So, immortal forces,mortal magics and racial abilities. This would make sense and racial abilities would have different rules regarding whether a Mordecai could affect them or not. But it is indeed up to the player to determine that. Now, for the difference between a racial trait versus a racial ability is this: take for example an elf's natural increased sight and hearing abilities (like Tolkien elves for instance). That is a racial trait and could not be affected as it is so fundamentally vital to the race itself. Racial ability is anything that is actively using magic, like a fairy's ability to use glamour. Or a shifter shapeshifting into various forms. A nymph communing with nature I think is more tricky, but I would determine that as a trait since that is so natural for them to be able to do such.

A question regarding the Adhara is this: are they also able to affect immortal forces? Or are they limited to mortal magics like standard Mordecai? I know regular Mordecai are limited to dispelling mortal magic only. They cannot affect immortal/divine forces. But since Adhara's ability is more potent, I wonder.

Not trying to pound this into the ground, just want to make sure I understand everything.

As for Silmeria's phoenix character, I personally would say if she is actively using magic it could be dispelled. But something natural like, magical fire energy dancing around the character could not be dispelled as that is more a trait. However, she is not my character so I have no right to determine all that.

SilmeriaElemred

I think what I could do is that it would basicly cost her more magic then she can replenish (normally staying in humanform cost a little bit of magic but she replenishes more then how much it would normally cost)

so eventually she'd run out of energy and reveal her true form. If I can not decide fully there is always the coin toss.

But if the firm rules say that a Mordecai would dispell it strait away I can always go with that. Rules are rules they are there for a reason ^^