Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Magic Systems

Started by Ethereal-Star, October 14, 2014, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

Other types of magic and powers that can be incorporated into the SotE setting are the following.

Celestial magic: Magic that channels the power of the sun, moon, and stars as well as various planetary magics including gravitational forces. The forces of light and dark (aka night and day) are also prevalent here and also to some extent, the manipulation of time and space itself.

Rune magic: The using and casting of magical runes and arcane glyphs. Could include some divination magics and deciphering of ancient or obscure scripts.

Nature magic: Magic that taps into the natural world, where Nature is the focus.

Alchemy: The combination of science and magic, most commonly used to transform base metals to gold. Potion making and alchemical reagents are also included in this form of study.

Necromancy: Magic that manipulates, creates or destroys life. 

Dragon Magic: Magic that taps into the majestic power of dragonkind.

Psionics: Most common are the abilities of telepathy and telekinesis but can include other things. This form of magic has to do with the power of the mind to affect some kind of change or gather information.

Dream magic: The power to touch upon the dreamworld and subconscious symbolism, such as dream interpretation and lucid dreaming.

Shadow magic: Draws upon the shadow plane of existence and could include summoning shadow creatures and using the shadows as cover to sneak around. The most common magic users of this type are shadow mages, shadow blades and shadow dancers.

Thought this would give players some more options/ideas in creating a magic-user especially for those like myself who love to roleplay magical character types. Feel free to add your own ideas and types.

Looshi

These things are already in place do to the open world malleability that is SotE. Anyone can create any magic so long as it doesn't make the character an unstoppable force.

@Rhi-Rhi  @Tally

Ethereal-Star

I figured I could expand upon this. Some types could also overlap with or be part of what's already on The World page. Like for example Nature magic vs Primal magic are similar but perhaps slightly different. As for magics that can affect celestial type things, it would not apply to altering historical events or time travel as that WOULD make the character too powerful. And people would probably complain.  :-\ And of course the key words being 'to some extent'. I thought it would be neat to create a lunar mage. As for what exactly that would entail I have to think on it.

And another type I forgot to put on here. Shadow magic: Draws upon the shadow plane of existence. The most common magic-users of this sort would be shadow mages/adepts, shadowblades and shadowdancers. A bit of D&D lore here.

It would be up to the individual player to set the character limits and what they can and cannot do with their power. And I definitely agree each and every character needs to have limits and restrictions to avoid the dreaded OPness.

SilmeriaElemred

Perhaps it would be an idea to edit the main post so that all types of magic are in one post and therefor easy to find.

Aluria has illusion magic, just like the rest of her kin
Cassie... a little hard to describe but would seen seperately it'd be teleportation and vocal
Keir... his magic is undiscovered still.
Gradius: necro + illusion but his illusions are not as strong as Aluria
Animal magic (Again Aluria)
Bloodmagic.. many kinds of this. Silmeria uses it to create bloodcontracts.
Phoenix magic. Those whom Silmeria contracts with can tap in her power too
Shifting

list goes on

Ethereal-Star

First post has been edited.

As for my characters (and some future ones to come) here is what they can do:

Ari-I am hesitant to put this one down as a sort of 'magic' but I can't really figure out what the source of her ability is. Basically she can commune with butterflies and understand them, but no other magical qualities. She can't even fight.

Adelaide-wields ice magic, which is a sub-category of elemental magic in general

Hazel-a future character to come, she has the power of glamour as she is a fairy. So that is an immortal force according to the front page. She also carries with her a magic fairy dust pouch that she mostly uses to annoy people and play tricks with. Her magic only works on mortals though.

Nemeril-another future character, has a minor magic called 'cantrips' but she doesn't really utilize this much. She is primarily an archer, first and foremost.

Lastly, Evadne, a character I play in the open roleplay section only. Not because she is too powerful but because she is essentially a drifter between worlds. Her abilities are more difficult to fathom but I would definitely call it a type of celestial power, not to be confused with celestial magic. What she has and who she is is a very unique capability common to all her kind. She has primarily the abilities of Star-Song and Star-Shine, the latter of which can be used in two ways. She has other abilities but these are the most prominent.

Other characters are in the making.

Looshi

As I can't answer questions regarding the direction of the official lore, I will state that the magic systems on the information on the main site are examples and not the exhaustive abilities that a character can have.

Like I said before hand, SotE is open-world and free-form. So long as your character's powers are not all powerful and ruin another person's play and enjoyment, then you can create whatever system you want. It doesn't have to be based on what's on the main site.

Rhindeer

Yeah! The magic systems listed on the World page are just some common examples, but are by no means an exhaustive list. :3

Heck, a lot of that could fall under the listed types. Dream magic, for example, could fall under Divination. Necromancy could fall under Divination or Primal. Psionics isn't really magic, but is still totally allowed! Nature magic can fall under Primal and/or Elemental magic.

Rune magic I don't really see as a type of magic so much as a method of casting magic. Celestial could fall under Elemental. Alchemy I also don't see as a type of magic so much as a system for how it's cast. BUT! These are all just  my interpretations, mind you! You're free to interpret differently, or list these abilities as falling outside those branches. 8D

But yeah, the listed magic types are just examples. You're definitely free to create other types!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Ethereal-Star

I wasn't trying to cause confusion, just merely adding in some details I had some ideas on. Since I can't access the wiki pages I don't know what the extra information is for this. I understand the open-world malleability of SotE so I know pretty much anything's allowed except for godmoding which I don't agree with anyhoo. I am all for roleplaying with god characters and those that are god-like but even they need limits just like anything else. I explained this in my Wants and Limits page too.

Anyways, the magic types and powers I listed were just to help with others' creativity. I have all these creative and imaginative ideas so love to share them with others if I think it's suitable to do so.

And yes, some of what I listed can definitely fit in or overlap with what's already there. Celestial is pretty much a Nature thing as nature isn't restricted to only trees, landscapes, bodies of water, flowers, animals, etc. It also applies to planetary and celestial bodies too as that is definitely a part of nature. Nature magic I see it to be a combination of both Primal and Elemental. So Celestial is related to that obviously. Whether or not these 'fit' into the listed categories doesn't really matter. Trying not to fall into that trap where I feel everything needs to be categorized and color coded and whatnot. :) But a lot of times it does help to think about it so I know better how to RP such a character.

I love the setting of SotE and the freedom it gives. It's what I look for in a good RP game. 

Arokai

Well, Drakir has a talent for manipulating matter, which i guess would overlap with psionics from the original post.