Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Winter in the Tundra [Open]

Started by Vyraena, January 05, 2015, 10:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyraena

It was a cold winter day, even though the sun was bright and just starting to rise. The snow was falling slowly. It was always snowing for her. It followed her everywhere. The stream she was crossing froze underneath her feet as she walked over it, only to return to water once she had taken another step. When she reached the land on the other side, it was as if she had never even crossed it.

The ground crunched beneath her metal boots, freezing on contact with them even deeper than they had already been frozen. She had no real intent on going anywhere specific, or accomplishing anything right now. Winter was just walking, as she always had, through the tundras, looking for a purpose.

Her black armor clanked as she walked, the enchanted ice that froze it over cold to the touch, but she was used to it by now. As she passed different animals, they looked upon the metal skulls that were adorned on her armor, their glowing eyes of ice staring out at them, and ran away in fear. Her blade was in her hand, fashioned of the same metal and ice that her armor was. The flurry of snow and ice that stayed perfectly around the blade made the air even colder than it would have been.

She passed Hyoite a while back, but she had no idea how long it had actually been. She had no need to know about the time. She would wander forever, regardless. She needed neither food nor drink, rest nor sleep. Such were the benefits of being undead.

Soon, the sound of footsteps on the snow covered ground could be heard. As it got louder and louder, Winter tightened her grip on her blade, preparing for whatever may be coming her way.

Wicked Basket

Cryce's quest for vengeance takes him far and wide, but he made it a point to come back to his home every now and again to stay in touch with who he was. It had been ages since his family's death, and he wasn't even one step closer to finding those responsible. The crunch of snow beneath his feet was familiar, even welcoming. He wore no extra clothes over his usual attire for warmth for he did not get cold. Other footsteps could soon be heard in the snow, and Cryce immediately knew that he was not alone. Whoever the other person was, they had stopped. Cryce tightened his grip on his staff and continued forward. If they would not confront him, he would confront them.

Vyraena

As the stranger came into view, and began to come closer, he would notice that the snow seemed to get heavier and faster as he approached Winter. The man seemed to be headed directly for her, and so she remained where she was, waiting for him to make a move.

She was used to people seeing her now undead state and calling her a monster, trying to kill her again, and leave her dead for good. Some time ago, Winter would have welcomed that gift, but many tried, and none could succeed. She was truly stuck in a state of neither life or death forever.

As the man got closer and closer, Winter waited until he was withing a reasonable distance to call out to him, her cold, glowing blue eyes unwavering. "Have you come to try and kill me, too?"

Wicked Basket

Cryce stopped as the other individual, a woman by the sound of her voice, called out to him.

"If you give me a reason to," Cryce responded. "Is this how you greet everyone?"

Vyraena

"You would understand if you had been through what I have." Winter said as she loosened the grip on her blade and let it touch the ground. "Why do you approach me if you are not here to kill me, then?"

Wicked Basket

"You don't know what I've been through either," Cryce countered. "I'm simply passing through."

Vyraena

"Be on your way then." Winter said coldly. "Being around the living has never gone well for me."

Wicked Basket

"What's that supposed to mean," Cryce asked. "Aren't you alive?"

Vyraena

"It may appear that I am alive." Winter said. "But I assure you, I am not. I have been cursed with eternal undeath."

Wicked Basket

"Well I can't die until my work is done," Cryce told her. "I'm just here to get in touch with my roots."

Vyraena

Winter thought it a bit funny, honestly. A man who wished to not die until he accomplished his goals appeared out of no where, while she was standing there wishing for death to come take her eventually. After determining this man had truly no desire to have a conflict with her, she continued the conversation. "So you are from the tundra, then?"

Wicked Basket

"I am," he replied. "I was born raised here in Hyoite, but I don't find myself here very often."

Vyraena

Winter looked up at the sky, the snow still falling heavily around her. "Has it always been cold and lonely like this?"

Her voice conveyed the sadness that was also displayed on her face.

Wicked Basket

"It wasn't always," Cryce told her. "But it is now. For me anyway."

Vyraena

Winter reached out her hand and caught a snowflake in it. Due to the nature of her armor, it stayed perfectly frozen the way it had been. "The cold follows me everywhere. The loneliness has just become normal. I can't escape either, it would seem."

Wicked Basket

"The cold is the only company I have," Cryce told. "I feel rather at home in below freezing temperatures."

Vyraena

"I..." Winter started, before the sound of footsteps and armor started. It sounded like it was at least a small group of people, all with armor and weapons. Winter tensed her grip on her blade again, turning to see a group of five men running towards them.

"There she is!" One of the men yelled. "There's the monster!"

"Now's our chance to kill her!" Another yelled.

Winter turned back to the man who had approached her first. "They come like lambs to the slaughter. Time and time again, they try, and they always end up dead by my blade when they attack. I have never done anything to them, or their home, other than be the way I am now." She said, motioning the herself.

Wicked Basket

Cryce had witnessed his fair share of unjustified killing. His entire family had been murdered for absolutely no reason. These men were no better than the men who took everything from him, so they would share the same fate.

Cryce stepped past Winter and faced the men. The snow and wind picked up even further as Cryce gathered his power. Daggers formed of ice began materializing around Cryce before flying towards the men and blinding speed. Two men fell instantly, the other three wounded.

"Would you care to explain yourselves," Cryce asked them. "Or would you care to join your two companions."

Vyraena

"You defend her?" One of the wounded men spat at him. "She isn't human!"

Winter stepped forward and placed her blade on his chest, with just the very tip touching his armor. It began to freeze over, and within seconds it had become completely frozen. She pushed her blade forward slightly, and the armor shattered. "I keep trying to tell you all to leave me alone. I don't want this. So much death. So much... All so pointless..."

The two men who had fallen from Cryce's attacks began to rise, even though the life had been drained from their bodies, and turned their weapons to point at the other two men.

Wicked Basket

"I don't care," Cryce spat. "I will not allow pointless slaughter. It would be in your best interest to walk away while you still draw breath."