Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Eyes In The Dark [Ahnnie]

Started by Ethereal-Star, January 14, 2015, 07:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

Tag @Ahnnie

Within the temple on the island of Kelei, one of the Thanatos islands, a figure could be seen meditating in a quiet, relaxed pose sitting cross-legged, hands outstretched on her lap with index fingers and thumbs touching each other, a representation of unity and connecting with the universe. In the meditation, she was both free and balanced, in harmony with the world around her and at peace, finding more and more of that hidden strength within her being. Chandra stayed like this for a good half hour in complete silence, the only sound being that of bird-song and the the light drizzle of rainfall from outside. Once she completed her session, the monk warrior grounded the energy by placing palms on the ground beneath her and channeled any excess back into the earth. She completed this act by saying a prayer to Inima, their goddess. Slowly standing up, the warrior stretched her legs and arms overhead, reveling in the relief the action brought.

Walking out of the side room she had been in, Chandra came upon Mekka, one of the older monks living in the temple currently working on an elaborate sand painting. Chandra walked over to him and greeted him by bowing, with him doing the same. Standing next to him, she looked over his shoulder as he worked. "Quite a marvelous work of art." Chandra praised.

"Oh, tis' nothing child, really." the monk admonished. "I must destroy it upon completion anyway. It would not be proper for a monk to have excess clutter just lying around. Plus there is much to be said for the art of detachment, that of letting go."

Chandra nodded in understanding. "I know, I know. For it teaches one not to become overly attached to material possessions. Still, it is a lovely piece."

The monk shooed her away, but in a playful manner. "Oh go away now dear Chandra, I must concentrate! Concentration is a must here!"

Chandra bowed again before saying, "I understand. I shall leave you to your tasks. Excuse me."

She walked to the front hall of the temple and found her father there, apparently waiting to speak to her. "Oh good, daughter you're here. Come, I must speak with you." Arto gestured for her to follow him to a  back room. Once they arrived he told her, "There has been some talk amongst the populace of some turmoil roundabouts." his brow furrowed in mild concern.

"What sort of turmoil, Father?" Chandra questioned.

"We are not positive. Only that there have been a couple disappearances, but only those of poorer status. However there is nothing to indicate foul play at hand, but something worries me nonetheless. A small worry, mind you, for I might just be overreacting. There have also been some dark tidings the temple seer has predicted, but as with all things of divinatory nature, nothing is set in stone. Still, our seer is rarely wrong."

Arto paused in his speech for just a moment, scratching his head. "Nevertheless the disappearances have caused those of more loud-mouthed behavior to start spreading rumors of a hidden enemy that waits in the shadows. A bit dramatic I think, but one never knows these days."

Chandra frowned. "Wherever would someone come up with that conclusion?"

"I know not." Arto answered. "But on other matters, you are on patrol duty today and tomorrow. It should go without saying that if you see or hear anything suspicious, you tell me and the others as soon as your shift is over."

Chandra nodded. "I shall." she promised. She looked at him and asked, "Is that all?"

Arto nodded. "Go and do what you must. I have other matters to attend to today."

Chandra then turned to leave, went to her room and grabbed her fighting stick, a long wooden stick capped with metal and rounded on both ends, and exited the temple. She nodded at the island folk there, smiling courteously while carrying her weapon on the side required of all temple warriors whenever she passed someone.

Her patrol continued late into the evening and she was finally ready to return back to the temple after a long day of service. There had been nothing out of the ordinary today. Well, nothing except for a minor dispute among two older men arguing about some ridiculous nonsense of what was better to eat, mangoes or papayas. One said mangoes were the work of Inima herself, while the other said you aren't a true Thanati if you don't like papayas and have at least one per week. It almost escalated to the point of pushing and shoving, but Chandra had quickly put an end to their petty squabbles by saying they each had their own opinions and the other should respect that and leave well enough alone. Chandra shook her head at the ludicrousness of the situation. Honestly, why do these things even matter to some people? She wondered.

Entering the doors of the temple, the warrior was unaware of malevolent eyes burning into her from the shadows of the tree cover nearby, waiting, watching and planning their next move. Once the doors closed with a click, the eyes disappeared and the owner of them quickly disappeared back to wherever they came from as though they were never there at all.

Ahnnie

The bones had been giving Kaye some ominous signs as of late.

Not during moments when he was divining for other people, of course. Just when he was divining in general. Sometimes he sat alone in his hut and threw the bones into the fire. For whose future, he did not know; his? Thantos'? But what disturbed him was that they gave him...unlucky signs. When he sought further answers--either through Fuiyun, crystal gazing, and a dab of his soul-speaking--they were vague, but they pointed towards Kelei, one of the other islands of Thanatos.

So he packed his bags and went there. Something was calling to him there. Something...strange and disturbing yet attention-getting. These were one of those moments in which Kaye knew not why he was being called to a particular place, but went anyway, and felt the pull to be stronger in said area.

His wanderings left him at the steps of a temple. Before coming to the temple, he'd listened closely to village talk, and what he learned was that some people of lower status had been disappearing as of late. Whether what they said resonated with his premonitions or not, he did not show it, at least now. He stood staring at the temple for a few moments before stepping through, listening to his footsteps on the smooth temple floor.

Ethereal-Star

It was the next day, and Chandra was preparing for her next patrol of the island. Gathering her fighting stick after having donned her monk outfit, belt and boots, she headed out to the main hall of the temple, stopping near the entrance-way as she spotted someone she had never seen before looking around curiously. His purple eyes then met hers as she slowed her pace, taking care to position her weapon on the correct side of her before she intercepted him to greet him.

"Welcome, stranger, to the Temple. I don't believe I've seen you here before. How may I be of service?" Chandra noted he was a fellow Thanati by his appearance and the garb he wore. While some people may come to the Temple for worship, prayer or just general contemplation to seek out silence, the warrior had a feeling that he was here for some other purpose, but she did not know what that might be. Chandra supposed she would soon find out.

Ahnnie

Kaye turned in the direction of the voice that addressed him. It belonged to a female warrior of the temple. She welcomed him to the Temple, asking how she could help him. Studying her for several more moments, he tried to see if any of that strange feeling came back with her presence. He squinted a bit, but the--whatever it was, the vision, the Sight?--was murky. At least for now.

Greeting her politely, he eventually said, "Pardon my rudeness.  I am a fortuneteller and I've felt something drawing me to this temple. I hope you don't mind if I have a look around?"

Ethereal-Star

"By all means." Chandra told him politely. "I was just on my way out for a patrol. There are others here who can provide more assistance should you require it. Farewell for now."

Chandra headed out the doors of the temple, thinking about how the man was staring at her, as though searching for something not readily apparent to his senses. The warrior wondered about this for another half a minute before she pushed it out of her mind and concentrated instead on her duties. Right now, she had other things to focus on.

And with that, Chandra began her patrol as usual checking out the town square first, before moving on beyond that. For some reason, a feeling of foreboding overcame her more than once, but she was able to guide her attention back to the matter at hand as she'd been taught. Still, the feeling did not completely go away. It was as though something were out there, something dangerous. And so as a result, Chandra's patrol took almost twice as long as usual as she checked some areas more than once, just to be sure the warrior did not overlook anything of importance... Still, nothing out of the ordinary ensued so Chandra began her trek back to the temple to call it a day.

Tags: