Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

This Cinderella Wears Boots

Started by visualspice, April 14, 2015, 08:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Another eye roll, she felt, was necessary as he correct his assessment to change 'grown up' to 'adult'.
"Kid, don't be so quick to want to grow up. Trust me, I wish I was still your age sometimes. Though I do agree about the dress, I ain't ditching this horse. It's a quick means to get away and travel, unless your dog friend here doesn't like horses..."
But from the looks of things, Shaggy seemed to be enjoying tailing at the horses feet.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Whim

"I guess you're right. Its just I used to know lots more about everything. And I didn't get talked down to by girls as much" he muttered thoughtfully with a small smile. It was a good point on her part. A strange gift.

"Well you're not so old either. What are you gonna be and do with your youth 'n freedom? You got a place in mind other than La'marri?"

The sky had turned from blue to purple and the stars made themselves plain. Arca was beautiful behind them, illuminated by thousands of torches and candles both mundane and magical. Ewan's stomach rumbled. He thought about a rabbit Shaggy brought him once, crisped over a campfire. He gave the dog a smile.

Soon a tiny cottage was visible across a field with puffs of smoke rising from the chimney.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

visualspice

"Tch," she gave the kid a smirk. "You've got a lot more livin' to do. Trust me, I won't be the first girl to come along to put you in your place. And me? Yeah, I'm still young. I don't exactly feel ready enough to settle down, if you know what I mean. Adult responsibilities, becoming the person responsible for well... anything is just..."

She didn't even want to finish that thought and shook it away as she shrugged.
"And I don't mind where I go." She looked up to the stars. "So long as it's going to be fun."

Upon hearing his stomach grumble over the night cricket symphony, Angel cast a smirk his way.
"Hungry, kid? Sorry I ain't got a stash of candy beneath this dress, but once we are able to get somewhere safe and clear, let's see if we can't barter or something to get a meal."

And if on cue, on the horizon came a small, quaint cottage. Angel slowed the horse, but stared at the building skeptically.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Whim

He scrunched his nose emphatically at her teasing. It was kind of worrying that his taller and stronger traveling companion, who had the horse, and jewelry to barter was so... so.. aimless? But that wasn't really so bad. She probably never strayed more than 5 miles from parents in her whole lifetime.  It could be worse if she were going in the opposite direction.

"How 'bout there?" he pointed as they neared the cottage. Shaggy gave a staccato yip of approval. Ewan was tired and he'd only been riding the past few hours.

A path cut through an unkempt mess of apple trees, marked by a sign reading "Cathwain Orchards." Literate farmers were a novelty elsewhere, but not so much in Serendipity. Up the path a woman was pulling clothes from a line. Middle-aged, tanned, and robust from a life of farm work. She lifted a hand in greeting to the strange pair. "Bit far from a church yard, ain't you lass?" her smile faded at the tatters of Angel's gown, "are you alright, dear?"

"H-hi," Ewan piped up from behind Angel. "We was were wondering if you might..." he trailed off. Whatever they had to trade was Angel's business. He had pants and a dog.

(OOC: Feel free to control her of course. I was thinking anything from a kindly couple of old farmers past their prime; or a witch who wants something -more-)

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

visualspice

OOC: ohhh, a witch might be fun! But the illusion could be very elaborate! But we shall see where it goes :D

"Of course!" came Angel's reply, proud and strong. "This is probably the best day of my life." She beamed. "Found myself a small friend, and have run away from my arranged marriage. But hey, hate to ask this in the first minute we've met, but we're traveling and need a reprieve, perhaps a chance to barter with you for supplies."

The lady smiled, exposing her worn teeth.

"Ah, yes... I'm not sure what all I can do to help, but feel free to come in. I can make you all a cup of tea and soup. But then let's get ye both inside. I could draw a bath, get you all cleaned up. And heavens deary!" she placed ahand to her chest and stared the pair over. "Both of you are skin and bones. It's been decided. You MUST stay for dinner and breakfast, at least! Can't have the pair of ye traveling. You wouldn't survive long as scrappers!"

And the dog barked and the woman drew back, obviously uneasy with the beast. She jumped again when the dog continued to bark.

"Your... dog here, he'll have to stay outside..."

"That won't be a problem," Angel said, relieved to find some place to rest for a bit. "It might be smart to keep him outside, you know, to keep guard of the horse. Any place I can tie him?" she asked as she dismounted, and offered a hand to the kid.

Whim

"Sorry. He was in bad shape when I found him. You might just remind him of someone- hey!" Ewan was cut off as the dog began circling him like a herder, determined the boy shouldn't go any further. Just being clingy, probably. "Shaggy I'm NOT leaving you. I promise. We'll bring you a bone after dinner, alright?" It took some coaxing but the dog finally settled into the stable with suspicious whine. Ewan felt a pang of guilt, eager as he was for a warm bed he wouldn't be sharing with a dog.

The cottage was nicely furnished, for a farmer, and the mouth-watering aroma of stewed meat was in the air. She took them to a back room with a wash basin, putting the fire on. "Worked the loom a bit in my youth, orchard was the husband's business. I'll see if I can't scrounge something proper for a travelling girl. As for you, lad, I don't reckon you can get some more firewood from around back while we wait?"

Rolling his eyes when his back was turned, Ewan trudged outside to fetch the firewood while Mara returned to the kitchens. Angel was left alone to bathe. To fetch several logs while Mara tended the kitchens, leaving Angel to bathe. "How come I don't get the first bath with the nice hot water? It's hardly fair that damsels in distress outrank scruffy urchins when it comes to sympathy," he took a seat on the other side of the partition.

Meanwhile old Mara brooded in her kitchen. Only a virtuous maid could work the loom, and any innocence old Mara had was long gone. A girl fleeing a wedding was just what she needed. As for the boy? She thought she smelled the spark of magic in him. And if he didn't make a fine meal, she could always use a young back around the cottage...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

visualspice

Angel was more than relieved at the offer of a bath, and the unique dress offered to her, as created by the old woman's hands, was more than she could ask for. She felt so lucky, so thrilled and was soon stepping behind the partition and tossing her dress up and over the other side, as it half landed over Ewan.

He'd be able to take in the scent as it pillowed around, the sweet fragrance of flowers, and the gentle musk of a young woman.

"I might have let you share if you were a much younger brother." She spoke to him through the thin partition. "But as things are, don't get any ideas to peek." She didn't need a snot nosed kid oogling her and fantasizing over things he couldn't have, after all. That was just gross. Though were he older... She would have teased him like no other. 

Whim

"Hey!" Ewan was suddenly trapped in a net of gossamer, which took more than a few moments to untangle. The boy tried not to blush at her insinuation. So self-absorbed! Well, maybe it be normal for a real kid on the cusp of adolescence to be curious. But he TOLD her his story!

"As if I'd want that! I just want some hot water left! And I ain't some overcurious snot-nosed brat. I wasn't lyin' before and I'm NOT gonna look!"

He looked at the garment Mara left him. A shirt, a vest, britches with suspenders and a cap to top it off. There were too many buttons and clasps. But... a lot of work had probably gone into making the little outfit and he didn't want to offend his host. There was something almost too perfect, too saccharine,  about the entire thing. Magic? But this was Serendipity.

"Still never told me about the guy you were gonna marry. Did you even meet him?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

visualspice

Angel laughed.
"What's to know about him? Are you jealous?" she teased. It was far too much fun not to let the comment be used to his disadvantage. "But if you must know, he wasn't exactly a man for my tastes," she went on, idly popping one of the many bubbles in the bath.

Whim

"I think you ran before you even met him you got so scared. And I've... I've kissed girls prettier than you too! ...when I was big," he could have put that much better. "Keep it up 'n I'll make you a frog. A slimy one."

Old Mara gave a hoarse shout from the kitchen. "Reckon the stew will be ready in a quarter bell, kiddies! All scrubbed I hope?"

"Come on I haven't got a bath in weeks!" he pleaded.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

visualspice

Angel rolled her eyes and stepped out of the tub, water gushing everywhere. She wrapped herself with a towel and gave a fluff of her hair.

"Fine, fine. But be quick, pipsqueak. The woman wouldn't like us to dawdle!"

Whim

"You tell me not to dawdle?" Ewan stuck his tongue our at Angel, holding up his ridiculous outfit in bemusement. "So what'd she give you?"

As Angel prepared to dress, if she looked closely enough, she might have noticed her new garment eagerly twitching in anticipation. The laces quivered, seams shivered, and buttons twitched in anticipating of a wearer.

Ewan stripped down and and sliding into the tub once he was safely behind the partition. A sigh escaped his lips as he sunk into the hot water, pushing wet bangs from his eyes. It wasn't until Ewan started scrubbing that he noticed how tan he'd gotten from travel. He took his sweet time bathing. He hadn't had one in a long time.

(OOC: I figure the witch can exercise power over whomever wears them?)

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

visualspice

If Angel noticed the strangeness of the attire, it was lost behind it's gaudy appearance. She wrinkled her nose and lifted the garment between pinched fingers.
"Somethin' I would never dare wear." She gave a brief laugh and went about drying herself off. "I'm half tempted to put back on my wedding dress." Because although she was never a stickler for fashion, even she had her limits!

Whim

Ewan climbed from the tub and dried off, dog-shaking his mop of hair which remained in tangles. The shirt-sleeves wriggled down his arms, and his vest dutifully buttoned itself after he'd donned the short-pants. It wasn't as stuffy as he'd imagined, at least.

"How come you got magic clothes and everything in this country, but kids don't wear shoes? My feet are like shoe-leather..." he complained. It took forever to scrub himself into presentable condition. The boy paused mid-step as he was about to round the barrier. Ewan's heart jumped and he stopped. He'd never hear the end of it if he didn't. "Okay. I'm dressed and I'm coming through," he called softly, "And if you laugh at me I'll laugh at you. So let's not hurt her feelings..."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

visualspice

"Hey, woah, wait just a minute, kid! I ain't dressed yet!" Angel snapped, quick to grab up her towel and the clothing she was about to begrudgingly wear and pressed it against her naked body.
"You may have leather feet, but what happened to your brain, huh?"

Whim

Ewan stamped his foot, trapped behind the barrier. It seemed he couldn't win. "Its why I asked! And what's takin' so long anyway? I thought you were the wearing pants and playing in the mud type. Not the hair-combing and make-up type," an impish smirk crossing his face, "maybe your groom got lucky."

Meanwhile Old Mara dipped a ladle into her mutton stew, savoring the test, before fishing out the lamb haunch. She could hear the children bickering in the washroom but she was careful. She gently sprinkled powdered valerian root onto the bone. The dog didn't like her, but he'd take food from the boy, surely. She'd offer the bone. The dog would gnaw it and be fast asleep. She'd tie him later when things were under control.

She turned back to her reagent jars thoughtfully. The dress and litle suit would keep them in line. The girl was meant for the loom, but what use the boy would be remained to be seen...

"Children, stew's ready!" she called out sweetly when her work was through.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

visualspice

Angel rolled her eyes.
"I might not be a woman that adores frills, but I also ain't a woman who'll just put on some lousy dress for another." Sighing, she realized she really was wasting both their times, and that of the woman who was there to help. So not thinking anymore into it, she slipped into the simple dress with a frown. Straightening out the skirts with a smoothing motion of her palms, she sighed and told the boy, "I'm ready, I'm ready."

And just in time too! For the old woman told them the food was ready.

Whim

Ewan gave Angel a snicker as he passed her, pausing in front of his reflection to preen. They found the woman seated at the hearth and smiling contentedly. She motioned for them to sit. "Thank you Mara, uh, m'am... it smells real good," he greeted her earnestly. And it certainly did; his mouth was beginning to water. Shaggy had caught rabbits on the road but he didn't know how to cook them, so they were usually charred and dry.

Old Mara ladled out the stew for her guests. "So, lass, now that you've escaped your groom where are you two headed? Could use a pair of young hands if you're looking for a roof..." she added sweetly.

He didn't want to be volunteered to stay at this bumpkin's cottage! "We uh, we're actually going to La'marri," he interrupted. At that Old Mara gave him a scolding look that made him want to be quiet.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

visualspice

"Yes, La'marri," Angel chimed in without missing a beat. "Its been my dream all this time to travel and see the world, and I figured that would be the first, best stop if there ever was one!" She went on, all smiles as Mara turned her scrutinizing gaze off the boy to Angel, and it seemed to slip away- but some of that unease still hung in the air. And during the exchange, Angel gave the boy a light kick underneath the table.

"But you've been so helpful, I wouldn't turn you down if you asked us to do a chore or two. But being as we're both run aways.. our stay stay can't be long," she explained, gesturing to the pair of them.

"Ah, I see.." the woman said, giving a sad sigh as she sat back within her chair. "You youngin's are lucky. You've got your whole life ahead of you, but you still all wish to head right in."

Angel studied the woman before asking, "Oh? Did you have any children? Perhaps as.. punctual as we?" Angel asked, all smiles as she rested her elbows on the table, leaning forward in hopes to appease the woman by feigning interest. She was hungry, after all, and didn't want to upset the woman before the food was even served!

However, Angel's stomach belayed her facade, and the girl blushed after the loud rumble of thunder elicited a strange smile from the woman.

"Oh, heavens me, look at me, holding you both back from a proper meal. Now just sit tight, I shall serve ye both." And she took her time getting up from the table and hobbled over towards the kettle and began to portion their stew.

Angel kept that same fake smile, teeth bared nothing short to the falseness a horse might do if it could smile. And while the woman's back was turned, she gave another light kick to Ewan. She could only hope he got the picture. Be nice! Or this woman could throw them out! And without food!

Whim

Why can't he answer? And who was she to be kicking him! Ewan gave Angel a kick back, but wound up slamming his foot against her chair-leg instead. There was a thump and he shot a glare at his nagging companion. "Sorry! I slipped..." he apologized and turned red.

Old Mara set one bowl down after the other, gently sliding them across the table to her guests."Have me a daughter. Headstrong girl and out on the world now. Didn't want the farm or the loom, I'm afraid," she gave a wistful smile and looked just a bit sad, but not pitiful. "Visits from time to time of course. So don't you go feelin' sorry."

Of course Ewan did feel a little bad for the lonely old woman, regardless of her apparent feelings on children being seen and not heard.

"Thank you, um, m'am," Ewan gave her a grateful smile, and began gulping down the stew almost immediately as it was set in front of him. The old woman had meanwhile started to root in the cupboard for drinking cups. "So... what sortsa chores could we help with?" he piped in again, trying to sound helpful.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Tags: