Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chance Encounters [SlowHandsMcGee] [M]

Started by WinterWorks, November 18, 2015, 08:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WinterWorks

Alice hadn't received many customers that day.  She sat in her rocking chair in the back of her shop, reading one of her favorite books.  While she read, she listened carefully for the bell which would signal the arrival of a customer.  As her finger lightly drifted across the faded pages, she thought about doing some dusting after she closed the shop that evening.  Many of her oldest paintings had accumulated a layer of dust over the years, which she knew would not aid in their chances of being sold.  She sighed, and flipped to the next page, squinting as the noon sun shone right into her eyes, despite her gaze being intently fixed on the book in her lap.  The sun warmed her light skin and gave the room a comforting glow.  Glancing up, Alice could see tiny dust particles floating around the room. She sighed, knowing she'd put off cleaning far long enough.

SlowHandsMcGee

Running out of the woods and turning to look behind him Augustus huffed, "I think I finally lost them. *heavy breathing* Now to find some food." He peered around him to see if there was any easy to get food laying around. Not seeing anything he took a second to take in the fresh air and rested. *Sniff* "Ahhhh I love that fresh breeze," Augustus said. After he found a small clearing with shorter grass he sat and took out some berries from his bag. The sight was gorgeous. The tall grass blew in the wind. Leaves were spiraling around throughout the forest. After a few minutes of rest Augustus got up and started walking towards the top of the hill. As he approached the top he noticed a small, quaint looking building. "Alice's Emporium," the sign read. Augustus wandered towards the door thinking he might have the opportunity to purchase food. However due to his shyness he paced back and forth nervous about confronting whoever is inside. After a while he finally built the courage to walk inside.

WinterWorks

Alice was so engrossed in her book, that she jumped as she heard the bell ring out from the storefront.  She stood up, and quickly set her book down where she'd been sitting.  With a smile on her face, she walked gracefully to the front of the store.  A rather confused-looking young man stood just inside the doorway, peering around the bright shop.  Alice giggled and brushed a white flyaway hair from out of her face, knowing full well that he wasn't from around the area.  She set an elbow on the counter, rested her chin in her hand, and smiled at him.
"Looking for anything in particular?"  She asked. 

SlowHandsMcGee

As Augustus entered the store he heard light foot steps from the back. He looked around to see what the store offered. A smaller sized girl appeared near the counter a few seconds later. She had asked him if he was looking for anything. "Um... Uhhh.. Sorry I'm not good at speaking to other people. Do you have any food? I've been traveling and well I'm just down to a few berries," Augustus mumbled.

WinterWorks

Alice laughed, placing both elbows on the counter. 
"Well, you're not going to find much for food here.  I sell art."  She smiled.  She expected him to be on his way, but after a few seconds of awkward silence, she began to feel sorry for the man.  He had said he was a traveler.  This undoubtedly meant he had nowhere to stay, and little on him in terms of cash.  Her eyes softened, and she sighed.
"But maybe I have something in back for you- if you'll give me at least a shill or two in return."

SlowHandsMcGee

Augustus smiled. There was something about this girl that he enjoyed, but he couldn't quite figure it out. "Alright," Augustus said. "Money isn't really an issue by the way." Looking around at the art Augustus tilted his head in curiosity. "Did you make all of this?"

WinterWorks

Alice raised an eyebrow as he mentioned the issue of cash. 
"Alright then.  Most travelers don't have much in the way of cash, is all.  People like you are few and far between in these mountains."  She came out from behind the counter and rested her hands on her hips.  Her smile broadened when he raised his question about her art. 
"Yes, I did.  I make it all by hand.  The dyes though- they're the tricky part."  She gazed around her shop.  All of her paintings rested on one side, with her small clay pots and sculptures across the room.  They all rested on old darkwood shelves.  Alice winced at the thick layer of dust on each, which stood out far more against the dark grain than she'd expected.  Some of the sculptures were so old- the ones she'd first put out to sell.  Little figurines of people, horses, and bears.  It was the newer ones that sold well.  Intricately painted ceramic butterflies, trees, leaves, and other organic shapes.  The wall of paintings consisted of mostly sunsets, and the giant waves that wreaked havoc along the rocky coastline in the winter months.  A few others were of the colorful wildflowers which grew without restraint in the wild forests near her home.  They were always a favorite.

SlowHandsMcGee

"Well that's pretty cool. I actually make my own art, but I've only been doing it for a year or two now," Augustus said while he reached into his bag. A few seconds later he pulled out a small rock that seemed to be formed roughly into a weird shape with tiny etchings in it. Looking at the piece and realizing how bad it looked compared to her pottery he quickly put it back into the bag and turned a bright red from embarrassment. "Yeah never mind about that, mine's terrible compared to yours," He said with a laugh to try to lead the girls attention away from his own embarrassment. "So, um... what's your name? Augustus said with immediate regret. As soon as he asked that he realized what the sign said out front. He looked down and hoped the girl didn't think of that detail.

WinterWorks

"Thank you!" Alice beamed.  She listened intently as he spoke of his own carvings.  Her eyes twinkled with curiosity, and she leaned over as he brought out a misshapen stone from his bag.  She only saw it for a second or two before he reinserted it into its place of origin. His face turned bright red, and Alice couldn't help but blush as well.  His earnest flattery was something to behold.  When he had the stone securely placed back into the bag, he asked for her name. 
"I'll go fetch you something to eat from the back, before I forget, and accidentally send you away starving," she laughed.  As she turned away, she called over her shoulder. 
"Alice.  Embers." She had forgotten that her name was displayed above the shop entrance, open for all to see.

SlowHandsMcGee

Alice. Alice. Alice. Augustus thought to himself. To him Alice was a unique name. A pretty name. He smiled at the thought of it. He didn't pay much attention to the same word which was plastered on the sign out front because of his nerves and his hunger, but after meeting the young clerk he felt a strange feeling of comfort. Something he hasn't felt in a very long time. "Alright, I suppose I'll just wait here then," he said trying to see where she was headed.

WinterWorks

Alice made her way through the back of the shop, and through the door that led into her home.  It was made most nearly of wood.  It was darkwood- the same as the shelves in the shop.  The wooden floors creaked beneath her feet as she walked across the small living room to the kitchen.  She was proud of her kitchen.  She had a small table set to one side, against one of the three grey stone walls that made the kitchen so cozy.  On the opposite wall of the table was a copper stove-oven, slightly rusted.  A low counter, icebox, and sink occupied the wall directly in front of her.  In the middle of the floor was a faded purple rug her mother had made for her before she moved. 

Two loaves of banana bread sat on the counter, still in their pans.  They were long cooled.  Using a spatula, she gently pried out one of the loaves, and wrapped it in a fabric cloth.   He better like banana bread... she thought.  Making her way back through the kitchen and living room, she glanced out the living room window, which took up nearly half her back wall, facing the sea.  It was the most expensive thing she owned.  It offered a splendid view of the Hivan ocean, while also being thick enough to withstand the many large storms which often tormented the jagged, mountainous, coastline on which she lived.  Gazing out, it appeared as though one such storm was rapidly approaching.  It was no wonder why she had no customers that day.  No one was foolish enough to be trekking such wild terrain with a storm approaching.  Well, no one except the man standing awkwardly in her shop at that very moment.  Alice tilted her head back, giving out a loud, exasperated sigh. 

She made her way back to the front of the shop, the loaf of bread cradled in her arms.  The man stood exactly where she had left him, as though he was afraid if he moved, he'd break something. 
"It's banana bread.  I baked it this morning." She said, looking up into his eyes, and holding out the delicately wrapped pastry to him.  My, he's tall...
"There's a storm coming.  It looks like a terrible one.  If you've got a destination, I'd suggest you be on your way very quickly if you'd prefer not to get caught up in it.  It'd be a shame to get that bread all soggy, just after you've received it.  Or to be blown away." She giggled. 

SlowHandsMcGee

The girl was gone for a few minutes. In that time Augustus looked around and wandered the store. Seeing all the beautiful art work. A few times he got so lost in the beauty of a piece that he started to reach on to touch it, but just as his first two fingers were about to feel the slick looking pot he snapped out of his trance and continued to another piece. Although quiet, he could barely make out the distinct sound of Alice's idiosyncratic footsteps. Due to all his time he spent hunting and alone in the woods training, his senses became enhanced. Once he heard Alice coming back towards the store he quickly navigated himself towards his place of exact origin, making it seem as if he never moved. He was presented with banana bread and a fair warning about an incoming storm. "Mmmm I love banana bread. It's one of my favorites. Although I can't say I precisely remember the taste, as it's been so long. I'm used to eating off any animals I may find or wild fruits and vegetation.  Bread is a once during a blue moon occurrence for me, so thank you a ton!" Augustus exclaimed. "Oh and as for the storm, I'm not too worried about it. I've been living half my life in the wild.  Oh and I'm sure the bread will be exceptional."

WinterWorks

Alice nodded as he took the bread.  Then, at his remarks of growing up in the wilderness, she raised an eyebrow. 
"The storms around here are enough to bring trees down.  Worse even, some of the foothills are so steep that one misstep could send you tumbling for quite a ways and-"  A loud clap of thunder cut her off.  She pointed at the sky, to reiterate her point, then crossed her arms.  She could hear the light patting of rain against the roof, the very beginnings of the storm. 
"Well, good luck to you.  You're welcome back any time.  Oh, and your name is...?"  She smiled.  I sure hope he finds somewhere dry...

SlowHandsMcGee

Augustus thought about what she said and looked outside. The storms did look pretty bad. "Well since I am new to the land maybe I should find some shelter. I haven't spent much time near the oceans so I'm not too sure of how that affects the storms. I'll head out and find some shelter before the storm gets too bad. I'll see you later maybe." Augustus said while turning around and heading for the exit. At that point they were both around the counter where the loaf sat. He said, "Oh yeah and my name is Augustus. Augustus Everwood." He reached the door and before heading out realized he had forgotten the loaf of bread. After turning around and coming back to retrieve the bread, putting his head down in hopes Alice wouldn't notice his embarrassment, he quickly hurried out the door to find how bad the storm actually was. The wind was blowing even harder now, and it was just beginning to rain. Augustus ran towards the woods trying to find some sort of shelter. *CRAAACCKK* Thunder. The thunder distracted him enough to cause the next gust to blow him over. He stumbled his way back up. He ran for what seemed like forever. Still stumbling he pushed himself to continue forward. He was amazed at how fast the storm came. It seemed like only twenty minutes ago he walked in the store and everything seemed fine. Only a little breeze. The weather towards the coast was something he never experienced much before, and he was never near the coast during a storm. He traveled all over the land and has never been through anything like this before. He was usually confident in his abilities to survive any force of mother nature, but now he realized how much he was in over his head. Almost there, he thought to himself. The forest was 30 feet... 20 feet... 10 feet... *CRAAAASSHHHH* The next thing he knew Augustus was laying on the ground. He could only remember flashes. The lights. A quick image of the forest. And a figure standing over him. *Blackout*

WinterWorks

Alice watched as the man left, clinging to the bread as he pushed open the front door against the great winds outside.  A small gust blew inside, lightly rattling the figurines on the shelves.  Alice stood in the open room for a few moments, wondering if she made the right decision to let him leave.  Coastal storms could be terrible- they were nothing like the storms inland.  She didn't fear tidal waves, for they were high in the mountains-  too high for even the largest of waves.  She watched him through the window, struggling to keep his balance in the storm, until he was out of sight.  Resting her elbow on the sill, and setting her chin in her hand, she couldn't help but feel the need to go after him.  She doubted he knew his way around the forest, especially with the sky darkening as the storm continued it's approach.  She sighed, and sprinted to the back of the shop, grabbing her coat.  She barely had it buttoned up, before she was out the door.  Her knee-length skirt lifted dangerously high with the gusts of wind, but she paid it no mind; there was no one around to see anyway.  She blindly followed in the direction Augustus had gone, feverishly brushing her damp hair out of her face. 

After a few minutes, she could barely make out his featureless form in front of her.  With a sharp flick of her left hand, flames erupted from her palm.  It brightened the view significantly, and she ignored the loud sizzles, as the crystal drops collided with her organic flames. 

"Augustus!! Hey!!"  She shouted.  He appeared not to hear her shouts.  He began crossing a large clearing.  Stupid move.. She thought.  He's going to get struck by lightning!  She quickened her pace to a fast jog, trying to catch up to him so he could hear her shouts.

"Augustus!! Wait!!"  She yelled.  The flames on her palm flickered, nearly going out with the increasing intensity of the rain.  She concentrated on the form in front of her, and was close enough that she tried shouting again.

"Aug-" Alice stopped in her tracks, watching helplessly as a bright white light came down from the sky, zapping Augustus where he was.  The whole event was over within the blink of an eye. 

"Shit!!"  Alice cursed.  She sprinted over to him, and knelt over his twitching body.  For a moment, his eyes were open, filled with shock.  She grew the intensity of the fire in her left hand to see more clearly.  His pupils slowly rolled back into his head, and closed his eyes.  Using her right hand, she gently slapped his cheek, trying to wake him up.  Her hair was soaked with water at this point, and beginning to drip onto his clothes.

"Augustus?!!  Get up!  Please! Come on we need to go!  Augustus?!!"  Oh gods this is my fault...  She thought.

SlowHandsMcGee

"Auuhh," Augusted muffled out. His sense of sound was just coming back to him. He looked around to see that he was laying in the middle of a field of grass. He could feel each blade of grass brush against his back and his stony sides. His defense mechanism activated. Because of his ancestors of the earth he has the ability to control the ground and earthly matter. When he is in danger he body tends to turn rough and almost scaly. He felt his skin turn soft again as his vision began to clear. He could make out the figure he saw before he passed out. It was Alice. He was so surprised that she came after him that he wasn't even paying attention to the loud cracks and machine gun like rain falling against the grass and leaves. "Wha... What happened?" Augustus asked slowly gaining his awareness. Augustus began to look worried. "Never mind what happened, why are you out here? It's not safe. We have to get to safety!" Augustus pleaded. *BOOOM* Another loud strike of lightning hit in the forest behind them.

WinterWorks

"That's what I've been trying to tell you!"  She hissed, both relieved that he was alright, and angry at him for being so stupid so as to wander into the clearing in the first place.  She sighed, her soaked light hair clinging to her face.  She helped him up as best as she could.  She was over a foot shorter than him, and her efforts really didn't make much difference.  He stood himself up, and the two quickly made their way back the way they'd come.

"Back to the shop it is then."  She sang sarcastically.  She gave a halfhearted smile.  This was too much excitement for one day.  She was now bringing a stranger back to her home, and he was likely to spend the night.  Storms like the current one lasted a long time.  She rarely had company whom she knew, let alone a stranger.  On top of that odd predicament, she was absolutely soaked.  Alice wanted nothing more than to go home, change into dry clothes, and fall asleep.  They reached the shop with little difficulty.  As soon as they emerged through the door, Alice turned around.

"Stay right there.  I'll get you a towel.  Or two.  Are you burned?"  She asked.

SlowHandsMcGee

It was a struggle getting his footing and keeping his balance but they made it back to the shop fairly quickly. Augustus was standing there dripping at the entrance. Alice offered to get him a towel so he was waiting for her. "No I don't think I have any burns, but I definitely don't feel good. I'm fairly sore and probably need some sleep. Also... OH SHIT. I dropped the bread in the rain. I'm sorry Ali. I'll make it up to you, but do you have any more food. I'll pay anything you want," Augustus apologized.

WinterWorks

Alice nodded, wondering how he wasn't scorched to the bone from the lightning strike. 

"That's good.  I'll make up a bed for you after you dry off,"  She replied.  When she realized they hadn't come back with the bread, she sighed.  He apologised profusely, calling her "Ali" in the process.  She raised an eyebrow, but didn't question it.  She'd never been called that before.  She figured that Alice was simply easy enough as it was. 

"No, it's alright.  I have another loaf,"  She said.  She took her wet shoes off in the shop, and walked back to her house.  Rummaging through a closet, she found three towels, and draped them over her arm.  She walked back to where Augustus was standing.

"Take your shoes and socks off and come with me."  He did as she asked, and followed her to the back of the shop, and into her attached home.  Leading him down the hallway, she directed him to the bathroom. 

"Take your clothes off and wrap yourself up in the towel.  I'll dry them overnight.  There are blankets on the couch, you can sleep there.  I'll get a fire going after I get myself dried."  Alice set two towels on the bathroom sink, turned around, and closed the door.  She walked back into the living room, and up the stairs to her bedroom.  There, she stripped, dried herself, and changed into a simple tank top and loose silk pants.  She made her way back downstairs, and fetched each of their shoes from the shop entrance.  She hung Augustus's socks to dry in the kitchen, and brought both of their shoes to the fireplace.

She laid out two blankets and a pillow on the couch, making a suitable bed for the man.  This day was more than I bargained for...really.  Augustus seems like a well put together man, very polite and honest, but...  Alice contemplated the possibility of becoming attached to him.  No, he was just a traveler.  This was a rare circumstance.  He'd be on his way in the morning, and they'd likely never meet again.  She wasn't interested in forming any sort of friendship with the man, and even if she was, he undoubtedly had his own agenda.  Possibly exploring the land, expanding upon his own...carving...skills.  He had probably met plenty of women in his travels.  By tomorrow morning, things would be back to normal. 

SlowHandsMcGee

Alice had given Augustus some towels to dry off, and he did so gratefully. He did realize however that to accept her offer of drying his clothes by morning, he would have to go the night without any clothes on. He only had one set of clothes because he didn't see the point in having any more. He washed them frequently so they wouldn't smell and if anything every got damaged to the point where he couldn't use it, he just bought a new one. He came out of the bathroom wrapped in towels and sat on the couch waiting for Ali. After all she said she did have more bread, and by this point he couldn't ignore the screams of hunger coming from his stomach. Once she entered the room he asked, "So you do have more food? Sorry I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm really hungry and, well, I can do some work for you tomorrow or pay you now if you want. I already really appreciate everything you've done for me. Who knows what would have happened to me out there if you weren't there." Augustus knew that nothing would have happened most likely due to his rock shell ability, but he wasn't quite ready to tell Ali that yet. He didn't want to freak her out too much.