Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chance Encounters [SlowHandsMcGee] [M]

Started by WinterWorks, November 18, 2015, 08:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WinterWorks

"Oh, right."

Alice walked back into the kitchen, and returned with a stack of sliced bread.  She set it before him.

"I'm out of butter for the moment.  Don't worry about repaying me.  I'm just glad you weren't hurt.  I would have placed the responsibility all on myself,"  She walked over to the fireplace, which was unlit.  She quickly set up a copper rod over it, and hung both of their clothes up.  She didn't bother hiding her ability.  Where she lived, magic was looked upon as a great blessing.  While it wasn't common in the rural mountains, it was something everyone was still used to.  Crouching down next to the fireplace, she made a small flame erupt from her right index finger, and lit the wooden logs.  The fire slowly took, and grew.  With the slight shake of her hand, the tiny flame disappeared, and she stood up. 

"Don't worry, I won't burn you.  I can control it,"  She said, turning and facing Augustus.  Without even looking, she waved her arm slightly behind her, causing the flames in the fireplace to gently dance back and forth.  Alice smiled.

SlowHandsMcGee

Augustus smiled with curiosity. He had never seen any one with them before. He heard about others having them, but never saw them, except for his own. "Whoa, you have powers too?" Augustus said in amazement. "I mean, I'm not saying I have powers, I've just never seen anyone else have them. I've heard about them though." He knew his quick idea for a cover up wasn't going to work with her, but he had to try to cover it up.

She seemed to be showing off making the fire dance at her will. This made Augustus smile and laugh. He didn't know what it was but something about this girl seemed special, besides her powers. He decided then that he might want to stay for a few days before moving on. After all he had no where to be at any time in his life. He always just went with the flow, and at this moment he felt like the "flow" turned into a pond with no current.

Augustus also realized that he was sitting on the same couch, with a girl, and he wasn't wearing any clothes. "Um also, not that I don't appreciate the towels and everything you've done for me, but do you have any clothes I might fit into?" Augustus asked in desperation. He looked her up and down and realized that she was far too tiny for him to fit in anything she owned, but he thought, maybe, just maybe she will have something. Anything. I can't stand not wearing anything. He released a sigh and gave a look of defeat. "I'm sorry I keep forgetting that I'm basically a giant compared to you. I'm not really used to interacting with other people as I was raised in the woods, basically by animals."

WinterWorks

Alice continued smiling.

"Yes.  I come from a long history of magic,"  She replied.  At Augustus's comment about clothing, she furrowed her brow in deep thought.

"Umm...My brother visited a few months ago.  Perhaps he left some clothing behind.  He's roughly your size."  She said.  Standing up, she walked over to her storage room.  Boxes, and discarded paintings laid scattered about.  After rummaging through a few of the available boxes, she managed to find an old pair of pants, and a torn dark grey shirt she had intended on sewing.  As for undergarments...He was going to be out of luck.  She slung the clothes over her arm like she had with the towels, and brought them to where Augustus sat on the couch. 

"These are literally all I have.  Your clothes should be dry by tomorrow.  You can keep these, however."  She handed him the pants and shirt, and crossed her arms, giving a faint smile.

"You know where the bathroom is.  After you change, you can show me what kind of magic you're capable of."  She said.

SlowHandsMcGee

Augustus was shocked yet grateful. It was obvious she saw right through his lame cover up. "Thank you so much," Augustus said. He started heading for the bathroom and stopped halfway. "Oh and about me having powers... um.. okay." He went in and began changing. What am I going to do?No one ever knew I had powers. She's going to be the first to know. Augustus came out of the bathrooms and gave himself a sort of "Ta duh" presentation of himself with his hands. He must have looked silly in it due to Ali's cute, quiet snickers. He sat down besides her and looked at the ground. He knew she was waiting for him to begin explaining, so he didn't disappoint. "I inherited my power through my ancient ancestors of the ground; the stone golems that once journeyed the land. I can control dirt, clay, stone, basically anything related to stone. Just recently, in the past year or two I've been able to control it enough to make small carvings in stones, like my sculptures." He searched around trying to find his bag. She set it next to the fire in hopes it would dry out. "I trained myself to use my powers while I travel. Since I'm alone all the time it's easy for me to push myself without worrying about hurting anyone. Oh, also when I'm in danger I tend to produce a hard stone like shell, almost like scales, around my body. That's why I wasn't burned," he said in a small voice, looking down. "I know, it's really weird. That's why I didn't want you to find out." Augustus looked up at Ali and gave her a desperate look.

WinterWorks

Alice giggled as he came out of the bathroom.  The clothes were just a bit too small.  As he began explaining his magic, she looked at him, shocked.

"Magical abilities are nothing to be ashamed of.  You could potentially become a very powerful mage.  You really must have been raised in the wild- Magic is a very common occurrence all over,"  She said.  She laughed, and looked at him.

"When I was younger, and my magic was strong, I thought it was the greatest thing in the world.  But really, we're nothing special, you and I.  Yes, we're less common than others, but magic is found everywhere.  You'll get used to it.  Perhaps I'll take you into town tomorrow morning.  Before you leave, I mean,"  She added.

SlowHandsMcGee

"Well sure, I mean... I don't know... I'm not too keen to large crowds. Although I would love to see more people with magic. I think it would really cool if I could somehow master this ability and use it to help others," Augustus explained. As he explained this he stared into the fire as if he was searching for something. Shaking out of it he explains, "And about leaving, I can stay and help you out... if you want. I could help you collect clay and other materials." Augustus smiled at the thought of that. Then looking down losing the smile, "but I understand if you want me to leave." Augustus pauses for a moment and looked at Alice. "You're really the only person that has helped me this much, and well.. nevermind, it's silly."

WinterWorks

Alice's face went red, and she rubbed the back of her neck, thinking of how to respond. 

"Well, thank you...but... Let's be honest. I've known you for less than two hours...  Let's just...see how this night goes,"  She smiled.  Interaction with others wasn't quite her forte.  She was so used to being alone most of the time, that she feared coming across as cold and awkward. 

"I uh...just don't spend much time with other people, if you know what I mean..."  She trailed off.  After a few seconds of the unbearable awkwardness, she suddenly decided to clear the room of the slow uneasiness.  She clapped her hands together once, regaining her cheerful mood.

"Whelp, the living room is yours for the time being.  I'll be down the hall for an hour or so, doing some artwork, if you need anything.  I've got a water pitcher in the icebox, and you can put the plate in the sink once you've had your fill of bread.  Goodnight."  She smiled, before poking the fire, and heading down the hall.

SlowHandsMcGee

Augustus was happy by what she said. He was very uneasy after this little chat and decided it was best to just get some sleep and see what a new day brings. "Yeah I agree. Also like I said I get the whole not spending time with people thing. Obviously living in nature most of my life I'm in a similar boat. Let's just get some sleep. Thank you again for everything!" He exclaimed while she was walking down the hall. With such an eventful day it was hard for Augustus to fall asleep. That and he wasn't used to an actual heated room, and a soft couch. Although he did found these luxuries quite pleasant. If only he could find a way to sleep this privileged, what to him seemed like a royal treatment, every night, he thought to himself as he drifted to sleep.

WinterWorks

Alice sat down on the floor, and dipped one of her paintbrushes into a jar of brown paint she had sitting next to her current painting.  Tomorrow...Should I just send him on his way in the morning? Should I offer him another night's stay?  He's so nice... -No, you need to make him go.  But he has nowhere to even go...  She mentally argued with herself as she made gentle strokes with the paint across the canvas.  After an hour or so, she leaned back and yawned.  It was late.  Slowly standing up, she took a look at her painting.  She was drawing the forest.  Dark green moss decked the rocks on the forest floor, and crept up the thin trunks of the darkwoods, giving the painting a wild feel.  She imagined if Augustus were in the painting.  He'd fit right in.  She thought.  She quickly turned her head away, and quietly walked back down the hall, to the living room.  He was passed out on the couch, and the flames in the fireplace were nearly dead.  She placed her hand over the few remaining flames, extinguishing them, and making the room go dark.  For a few seconds, she watched Augustus's sleeping form, the light of the moon faintly making his face glow.  She'd make her decision in the morning.  Creeping up the stairs, she yawned again, and made her way to her bedroom.  As soon as her head hit the pillow, she was fast asleep.

Alice woke up early the next morning.  Very early.  She quietly made her way down the stairs, careful not to wake Augustus up.  He was still asleep, sprawled out over the couch.  He was pretty close to falling off.  Alice giggled softly as she walked past.  Beginning to feel awake, she got right to work.  She lit the stove, and as soon as the metal bars covering the flames were hot, she already had 8 eggs cooking in a pan.  While they sizzled, she got out two mugs. She was unsure what Augustus usually drank, so she decided to play it safe and give him milk.  She began to make a pot of coffee, and went back to tend the eggs.  When they were done, she pulled out the last few slices of ham from the icebox, and put them in the same pan the eggs were in.  While those were warming up, she poured the coffee into her mug and added milk and sugar to her liking.  When everything was cooked, she made up two plates of food, and placed them on the table.  She sat down with the book she had been reading yesterday, and continued where she'd left off, taking sips of coffee between pages.  She looked down at her lap, and chuckled at the old coffee stains on her white robe.  Aside from having a stranger sleeping on her couch, it was a normal morning.

SlowHandsMcGee

The wolves. They were growling at the trunk of the tree. Drool dripping down at each bark, sharp enough to shatter glass. Augustus took a minute to gain his breath. Once he caught his breath he began to shift the ground below. He could feel each vibration, each rumble of the ground shoot up the tree he had retreated to. He began to breath heavy again. He's never caused a quake this big before. the wolves began to look scared. They tried running but couldn't stand up the ground was shaking so bad. Augustus thought this to be enough and decided to stop it. To his horror he couldn't. He tried, and tried again. It began getting more intense every passing second. He felt a weird urge inside of him. Something building up. The tree was shaking vigorously now. He had no choice but to grab on to the branch and hold on tight. "HELP!" Augustus tried to scream. The tremor was so intense now that he couldn't hear his own voice. "HELP!" he tried yelling again. Similar to the first time, he heard nothing. His grip was loosening. He had to do something, but there was nothing he could do. The tremors continued until, *SNAP*. The branch broke. He felt the breeze flow through his hair. The leaves brush against his face. Right before he hit the ground he felt everything stop. Suddenly a flash of memories and light burst throughout his head until nothing but whiteness was visible.

Suddenly snapping up Augustus breathed heavily and looked around him. He was safe. At that moment he realized where he was. Ali's couch. It was all a dream.

Sitting on the couch catching his breath and still coming to reality, Augustus noticed the smell of eggs and a warm brew of coffee. He made his way to the kitchen while rubbing his eye and yawning. Once he reached the doorway he saw Alice sitting there, drinking her coffee and reading something. On the table there sat two plates full of breakfast foods. He looked at Ali and asked, "What is this?"

WinterWorks

"Breakfast."  Alice replied casually, not looking up from her book.  After a few seconds, she turned the page and flipped the book on it's pages.  She looked up at Augustus.

"I hope you like ham and eggs.  I could make you coffee, too,"  She said, taking a sip of her own.  She could hear rain patting lightly on the roof.  The storm was over, and the sky was getting the last of its anger out of its system.  They might be able to go to town that afternoon. 

SlowHandsMcGee

Wow this was unbelievable. What were the chances she found someone this amazing. Letting him stay the night, offering him this much food, and making him breakfast fit for a king, or at least in the mind of Augustus. "Wow thank you so much. You've been treating me so well, are you sure there isn't anything I can do for you?" Augustus asked. He then sat at the table and just looked at the food as if it was going to eat him for a minute. He then began to eat as if he had never tasted something that good before.

WinterWorks

Alice laughed.  Augustus appeared to be very excited. 

"Um I don't think I have anything for you to do at the moment..."  Alice thought hard.  Perhaps he could wash the dishes while she went upstairs to get dressed.  She had already decided she wasn't going to open the shop until later, due to the rain.  Not many people would be out. 

"You can do dishes.  I'm going to get dressed.  Your clothes are dry as well, if you'd prefer to change back into those,"  She said.  Alice finished the last few bites of egg, stood up, and set her plate on the counter.  She watched, smiling, as Augustus gobbled up the food as if he'd never eaten before.  She walked out of the kitchen, and up to her bedroom.  She had full intention of going into town, so she picked out a pair of pants, and a nice dark green sweater.  She put her short hair back in a brown headband, and slipped a small emerald necklace over her head.  He can stay another night if he wishes.  At least earns his keep.  He's good company as well.  His eyes- I should paint them.  Possibly.  After washing her face and checking her appearance once more in the mirror, she came back downstairs. 

SlowHandsMcGee

After finishing his breakfast Alice requested for him to wash the dished while she got ready, and also offered his clothes back. He accepted this offer without question and immediately went to go change. "Thank you so much! No offense to your brothers clothes, but mine... well their mine," he said giving a small laugh. "Also about the dishes, well I'll try, but I haven't ever washed them before." She gave him a weird look before going upstairs. Well, how am I going to do this. I suppose it's similar to washing your clothes out in a stream. He filled the sink with water and put some soap in it. The bubbles flowed over the sink onto the floor. Oh crap he thought to himself. Well hopefully they'll go away before she comes back. There were only a few dishes, but this task was something challenging for Augustus. He wasn't sure exactly how clean she wanted them. He mostly just tried getting some of the food that was stuck on them off, and rinsed them in the sink before drying them and setting them on the opposite side of the sink from where the dirty dishes currently resided. As he got down to just a single glass and some silver wear, Alice entered the kitchen door way. To Augustus she looked really nice. It was a simple outfit, but a cute one none the less. Something about her hair and her headband, along with her simple bright green necklace filled Augustus with happiness. He smiled. He snapped out of his trance and realized the mess he made in an attempt to help out.

WinterWorks

Alice stared at Augustus.  There were bubbles all over the floor.  Her mouth closed, and her eyes wide, she looked at the floor, then back at him.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears like you're having some trouble."  She said, not moving.  She was torn between laughing, and becoming angry at the mess.  Without another word, she walked back out of the kitchen, and grabbed some towels.  Sighing, she gently pushed him to the side of the room, and got down on all fours to clean up the mess.  The soap left sticky streaks on the wooden floors, but at least it wasn't sopping wet.  When the floor was dry, she stood up, and re-did all the dishes.  He had gotten a few clean, but the rest still had bits of food left.  Note to self: Do NOT let Augustus wash dishes...  She thought.

SlowHandsMcGee

She came over and pushed Augustus aside and cleaned the mess before redoing nearly all of the dishes. Augustus felt really bad, but didn't know what to say. He just stood there watching her, observing. "Um, I'm sorry, inside chores aren't really my thing. I mean I'll try other chores if you want, but I'm better playing in the dirt, if you can understand that." After a pause he looked at her for a minute. She looked back and him. "Um, uhh, you look nice," Augustus tried to get out.

WinterWorks

"Oh?" Alice said, blushing.  "Thank you..."  She replied, smiling.  She looked down at the ground, and put her hands behind her back.  After a few seconds, she put her hands on her hips.

"Well, I've got a painting to finish..so... I'll be in my studio.  Feel free to watch me, if you wish.  Otherwise, I have some charcoal and paper if you would rather write or do something like that, or I have a few puzzles and books.  They're just on the bookshelf in the living room."  She smiled quickly, and walked out of the room, down the hall to her studio.  She sat, cross-legged, thinking about how she should complete the painting.

SlowHandsMcGee

With nothing to do now Augustus stood there alone. He walked over to Alice's studio and leaned on the doorway. Alice glanced over to him before going back to her work. "So I noticed all of the options you gave me involved me staying here. I guess I'll take that as a "You don't want me to leave."" Augustus laughed and gave her a cocky smirk. He then came over and sat down near Ali. Watching Ali for a while he grew more and more curious. "Wow you are truly amazing, " he said without realizing that she might take that in a different way. He never saw anyone with this amount of talent before. Her artwork was amazing to him. "Your art is really good, like how do you do that?"

WinterWorks

Alice laughed. 

"Well, if you want to leave, the door's right there."  She said, giggling.  "I'm not stopping you."  She smiled.  He sat down beside her, watching her closely.

"My father taught me.  He was a big fan of art.  I've been painting since I was just a little girl.  I guess I just have a talent for it,"  She smiled.  The two sat there for another hour, mostly in silence, until she finished the painting.  The forest, shrouded in fog, and lush moss, gave off a mystical feeling.

SlowHandsMcGee

"It's so... mysterious," Augustus managed to get out. "I love it. It looks like my home." After a few moments of sitting there staring, Augustus asked, "So what are we going to do now?'