Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

S(t)ealing creation [M]

Started by Medievarad, January 02, 2016, 03:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medievarad

Swift. Quick and easy. Those where the words used when she recieved her assignment. Swift. Quick and easy. Those words were far from true. Her target was a necromancer who had made an ancient and desolate temple his home. While she was suspicious, since it was concerning a necromancer, it wouldn't prove any real challenge. Or so she thought.

She wasn't attuned to any kind of magic bar the ones taught to her by her superiors. But, that could hardly be called magic. But even Usagi realised her foe was powerful. And even blending in with the shadows. Even sneaking around as much as she could wouldn't help here. This necromancer knew her every move. Every step. And proceeded to toy with her in a dangerous game of cat and mouse.

Having dispatched the third batch of undead thrown at her already, she circled the two kama in her hands, before hooking them on the straps on her waist again, sighing slowly, pulling the mask up and perching it ontop of her head. She was briefed about the layout of the temple, but a sharp pain in her side reminded there were also traps the necromancer reactivated for her visit.

The particular wound in her side was grazed by a steel pike that slid out of the wall. If it wasn't for her quick reactions, she'd be hit in a vital spot. Having died right there. But, there wasn't time for that, she still had a mission to complete. And thus, she limped down the corridor. 

DragonSong

"Just a quick job, Jynx," she muttered to herself, hand pressed to her heavily bleeding shoulder. "Shouldn't be a problem, he says. Nothing too strenuous for someone like you, he says. Easy as winking, he says."

She scowled, leaning heavily back against the wall she was currently hiding in an alcove of. "Easy my ass." She peered out into the corridor. It seemed clear, but then that's what she'd thought before some- some freak-ass zombie thing attacked her, practically taking her arm off.

Oh, quit your whining, a deep, rasping voice said in the back of her mind. Her scowl deepened.

"Easy for you to say," she hissed, "you're not the one getting mauled over some stupid trinket-"

Footsteps. She heard footsteps. Snapping her mouth closed, she pressed back against the wall, hiding herself in the shadows.

Medievarad

The footsteps were inconsistent, shambling. Belonging to another stray undead. A slow groan resounded from the undead carcass. Lamenting it's pitiful fate and disturbed rest.

The whizzing sound of a blade cleaving the air resounded, and soon, the undead was laid to rest, a blooded, exotic weapon sticking from it's skull. A woman clad in crimson robes limped over and wrenched the blade out, gritting her teeth in pain.

She stopped in her tracks, arching an eyebrow. "Your breathing. It gives you away." She stated slowly, her back still turned to the unknown, redheaded thief. Her voice colder than the stone in the temple.

DragonSong

Jynx cursed under her breath and stepped cautiously out of the alcove. "Nice shot," she said, trying to sound like she'd meant to be discovered all along and wasn't completely floored to find another living person in this godsforsaken place.

Her eyes skated up and down the stranger, taking her in, calculating.

Cute, Ilieth commented lazily. A pause, then, Looks good enough to eat.

Wishing he was on her plane of existence so she could smack him, she shoved his voice to a back corner of her mind.

Medievarad

"Leave." Was what she said, ignoring the comment about a 'nice shot'. It was natural. It wasn't nice. It was just a shot to finish off whatever was in her way. Bar the two kama, Usagi looked as if she was unarmed. But, anyone who had skills like her was bound to have hidden weaponry all over her. It would be naïve to think otherwise.

Yet, she was obviously hurt. The fresh blood still trickling down her side.

"You have nothing to find here." She added to her prior command, before limping down a small flight of stairs. "It's dangerous."

DragonSong

Jynx pursed her lips. "Cheerful little thing, aren't you?" she said, following after the other woman. Friendly or not, it was better than walking back into the dark alone.

"And my employer says you're wrong, I do have something to find here," she added. Glancing at the trail of blood behind the stranger, she tilted her head. "I think you're the one who should beat it. Looks like that's gotta hurt."

Medievarad

Usagi merely snerked in response to her being a 'cheerful little thing'. Leaving it just at that. She wasn't cheerful. And she was far from a 'little thing'. Sure, she didn't possess the curves of the redhead, but, by no means did she have the right to call her that. Perhaps sarcasm? That would explain the cheerful part.

"I do not care what your employer states." She replied coldly, not even looking at the thief. "Pain is only temporary." She deadpanned once more, glancing at the woman. "What is it you seek here, mercenary? These ruins are dangerous."

DragonSong

"Mercenary?" she repeated incredulously. "I don't know whether I should laugh or be insulted. I'm a theif, plain and simple. And I'm looking for a particular trinket, a sceptor of some sort."

She glanced sideways at the other woman. "You wouldn't happened to have seen anything like that, would you?" She couldn't deny she was curious why someone else was in this place, but it wasn't relevant in the moment so she didn't ask.

Medievarad

"Then you're just a fool." She replied in response, cutting the woman's sentence off. She knew exactly what the woman was talking about. She knew more about the artifcat than the redhead did. It was a dangerous thing. Something that was briefed to her in an optional mission.

Wich was to destroy it.

"I haven't seen it." Her voice as cold as ever. Before stopping in her tracks and holding her hand up infront of the thief. Stopping her in her tracks aswell. "Do you see that?" She asked.

It was barely visible, but a small, thin wire glinted in torchlight. Right before their feet.

DragonSong

Biting down on a retort to the "fool" comment, Jynx froze. She saw it. Silently drawing a dagger from the sheath on her thigh, she drew it quickly across her inner forearm and murmured, "Come to me, Tiameth."

The small demon shimmered into existence, flitting around her head and chittering. "Shh." Jynx batted at her, then gestured to the wire. "Think you can disable that?"

The demon nodded and chitteres some more, sailing down to examine the trap.

Medievarad

Usagi's ears perked at the chittering. She looked over to the redheaded thief, before a small creature fluttered towards the wire and went to examine it. She was a tad surprised. Normally, she'd just step over the tripwire and be done with it, but she was curious as to what this foolish thief could do.

DragonSong

Tiameth suddenly swooped toward the ceiling, disappearing into the gloom. Jynx waited, examining her nails. She really needed to stop biting them.

After a few moments, the demon returned, fluttering down to perch on the demonlord's shoulder. "Good girl," Jynx told her, stroking her head and giving a lopsided grin. Turning her attention to the other woman, she explained, "That tripwire was connected to about four others. I've seen tricks like it before, so I figured Tiameth could disable them all in one go if she found the main apparatus."

She gestured forward grandly. "We are free to go."

Medievarad

"Hm." She looked at the woman, arching an eyebrow. She didn't trust her at all. Thus, she didn't take her word for it. And rather to walk normally, she dissappeared from sight, her shadow disappearing only a split second later. She reappeared down the end of the wall, before taking a step back, a spear sliding out of the wall, scratching her cheek narrowly. Stepping back into the fourth tripwire. But nothing happened because of that.

Another trap. A pressure plate she had stepped on. Great job. She got ahead of herself and almost died a horrible death.

DragonSong

Jynx smirked, sauntering up behind the other woman. "You know," she drawled, "it seems to me like you could use someone like Tiameth around, keep an eye out for those pesky traps."

And she could sure as hell use some muscle. Her demons were strong, sure, but usually more trouble than they were worth. Plus these ruins were crawling with undead buggars, an extra set of hands- and weapons- would be useful.

Medievarad

"P-poison.." Was what she whispered as she slumped backwards, falling down against the female thief. The skin around the wound on her cheek growing slightly purple. It was clear now. The tip of the spear was coated in a thick purple, acidic substance that slowly dripped off.

DragonSong

"Oh fu-!" She caught her deftly, lowering them both to the floor. "Hey, stay awake alright?"

Shit, what was she supposed to do? Antidote, she need an antidote. Not even bothering with an incantation, she shouted, "Dionish!"

The demon appeared quickly, and instantly knew what she wanted. He sniffed at the girl in her arms, then snorted and shook his head. Jynx cursed again; it would take him too long to try to manufacture an antidote, which wasn't really his strong suit anyway.

She grimaced. Sucking out the poison it was then, at least until the demon had something. "Sorry about this," she muttered, and set about trying to draw the toxin from the wound.

It was not a pleasant experience.

Medievarad

Her eyelids felt so heavy. She felt sleepy. Was that why she didn't feel the smack of the ground? No.. It couldn't be. Someone caught her. The thief. The fool. Calling to her to stay awake. She smirked faintly as her eyelids fluttered shut, feeling the redhead sucking the poison out of her cheek. "F-fool.." She managed to murmur out with a grin, before closing her eyes slowly.

It honestly was comfortable to be in someone's arms. Warm and soothing. Perhaps her poisoned and weakened mind had concluded this.

DragonSong

"I'm trying to save your life, jackass," Jynx muttered, spitting out another mouthful of poison. "Watch who you're calling fool."

Tiameth chittered anxiously, leaning over the semi-conscious girl, and Dionish shoved his nose forward. Giving a sigh of relief, she flicked her finger through the demon's saliva- which could work both as a toxin or an antidote, depending on his desire- and dripped in onto the wound.

Disgusting? Yes. But effective.

Medievarad

The sick, purplish texture around the wound slowly dissappeared under the saliva of the demon. Her skin returning to the same normal and healthy color.

After a few moments, Usagi opened her eyes, fluttering for a short while to blink away the blurry vision. Only then feeling the touch of the redhead thief. "Thanks.." Was what she muttered. Rather than a random insult. "My.. My name is Usagi.."

DragonSong

She let out a quiet breath of relief. "Jynx," she replied with a crooked smile, helping Usagi sit up. "And don't worry about it. I'm not in the habit of watching people die."

Well. Not unless it was in her interests.

"Thanks, Dionish. Return through the Veil," she said with a nod to the demon. He yipped quietly, licked her hand, and shimmered away.