Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Not Worth A Penny

Started by visualspice, January 17, 2016, 05:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Had she known today would be the last day for her alone, she certainly would have thought twice about her actions. But she was no clairvoyant, and destiny had an unyielding grip; just like the ropes that now bound her hands together, which were long past the point of rubbing her skin raw. It was definitely a new take on how she felt about ropes, definitely a too unpleasantly intimate take.

She had tried not to go, but dragging her feet only resulted in bloodying up her knees and giving her brush burns all along the sides of her, which only aided in her soured disposition. But even as overwhelming and panic stricken she was at the idea she was to be sold off as a slave, property, as she was marched into the city, she felt herself feeling even more overwhelmed to the point of insignificance against the might and tower of the buildings of the great city. Only truly familiar with what cities looked like from afar, or from within the ruins of one, to see one standing so tall so proud had her gaping-
and also tripping over the metal shackles latched to her feet.

And soon she was eating the cobble stone. Not able to get up quick enough for her captor, there was a sudden kick to her ribs and the pain was winding. It was enough to draw her back to the present reality, but once walking again, she couldn't help but return to her gawking, only this time, she was a little more cautious in where she'd step.

It was about this time she had also come to realize eyes were upon her as they neared the town square near the Southern Matron River. There was a lot of things to look at there in the square, many trinkets glittering in the sun, many fine foods that, despite smelling heavenly, made the girl sick to her stomach. She was beyond hungry and found herself looking towards meat frying over a flame. What she wouldn't give for just a few bites of that chicken; but just as she was nearly trailing behind her master- a threatening position to be in, as she could surely fall again- she turned around and went to pick up her pace- when some strange bird came sailing right infront of her, leaving her gasping with a shriek.

The sudden swooping by bird not only surprised the girl, but the man holding her chains, and though frozen stiff in the moment, she wasn't frozen enough not to realize the man had dropped her chains. Quick thinking had her dropping her heels, and once the chain was in hand- the girl took off down the street.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Smoke gave a harsh cry and Gavin looked up, startled. "What's the matter?" he asked immediately- quietly though, wouldn't do to have these people seeing him talk to a bird- as the falcon swooped in to land on his outstretched arm.

Smoke clucked urgently and he turned- and saw a girl in chains taking off down the street, pursued by someone he assumed must have been the holder of those chains.

He gritted his teeth. He didn't like slavery. "Keep an eye out from above," he whispered to smoke, and the bird gave a sharp caw of confirmation before taking off.

Gavin set off after the girl and the would-be slaver, muttering curses under his breath. He almost lost them a couple times, but cries from the air kept him going in the right direction.

When he was in earshot he called out. "Hey! There a problem here?"

visualspice

The chains made her get away sluggish, but she was determined not to be turned a slave. She had seen enough cruelty among the scavengers, and she'd heard tales of men as slaves. Women,s he could only concur, probably had it much worse. Though young, she knew enough that men had no good intentions towards a lady.

'Gods, these buildings are so tall!' she internally growled, finding herself running into whatever direction was open, but the second she rounded a bend, she ran full force into Gavin, falling ontop of him onto the cobblestone streets.

Though smarting, Vels was reluctant to stop her chance to escape as she growled, "Get out of my way." But the second she was on her feet and trying to run, her chain snagged around Gavin and pulled her suddenly back to him again.

This gave her master enough time to catch up, and by the look on his face- he was more than pissed as he stormed over towards the pair and grabbed a fistful of Vels's chains, while his other hand took a rough hold of her arm.

"Do you really think you could just get away from me?" he roared, mighty enough to have even the fiesty Vels flinching. "Learn your place!" And before she knew what was happening, the slaver kicked her down onto the cobblestone before she felt the weight of his boot on her back.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"Oof!"

It took Gavin a couple moments to orient himself. By the time he had, the slaver was stomping the girl into the ground.

Anger ripped through him. "Hey!" He grabbed the man by the shoulder and shoved him back. Smoke cawed from the air and swooped low, landing in front of the girl and taking a few hops toward her while a concerned clucking sounded in his throat.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Gavin growled, gesturing to the chained girl. "She's just a kid!"

visualspice

Suddenly face to face with the bird that almost killed her earlier, she felt her heart in her throat as she jerked back. But the man's boot kept her down. The man glared at Gavin and looked the man over, but not before Vels realized what Gavin had said.

"Kid? Who are you calling a kid?" she growled, but that was quickly swallowed into her throat as the man grabbed her by the back of her shirt and forced her up.

"Kid? I don't see no nothin' here but a god damn slave. Why?" he looked the fool over before smirking coldly, "You got a problem with that? If not," he moved, his shoulder pushing Gavin aside, "Get the hell out of my way." And he proceeded to drag Vels with him.

DragonSong

Gavin's mind raced and Smoke gave a sharp cry, flying up to perch on his shoulder.

"Hold on," he said suddenly, throwing his hand out to get the other man's attention. Hating himself for it but not really seeing other options, he muttered, "If she's a slave- how much?"

The falcon gave a caw of surprise, whipping his head around to look at him.

Gavin ignored him, pulling out his purse and raising an eyebrow meaningfully.

visualspice

The man glared back at Gavin and sized him up, as if to measure his ability to produce coin, and as if he could weigh the coin purse when produced.

"Whadya mean how much?" he growled, and kept a firm grip on Vels arm, even as she tried to pull away. But she too, was now glaring surprisingly at Gavin. "She's a fresh one." ANd he gave a snorting sniff before spitting onto the ground. Vels cringed. "Fresh, but a little dirty. I had to drag her here all the way from the ruins of Thaedes."

DragonSong

"I can see that," Gavin snapped back. "And I'm asking you how much?"

He jingled his coin purse meaningfully, shooting the girl a quick glance. That glare made something inside him shrivel up in a combination of guilt and real wariness. Huh. She was certainly a dangerous little thing, he could see that.

visualspice

Though initially taken back by this man's rudeness, he continued to look Gavin over.
"How much you got?"
It was a lame attempt at a barter, but if he got enough money out of this little weasly man, well..
Money was money.

DragonSong

He arched an eyebrow. Not enough for a human life. He quashed that thought and answered shortly, "Ten gold. I'll give you ten gold."

It was almost all he'd brought with him, but his newest employer had offered him room and board in addition to a small salary, so he offered it up. If that wasn't enough, he'd find a way to get more. He couldn't just walk away from this girl.

visualspice

Vels eyes went wide. Not that she could even fathom how much that was, but as she looked from Gavin to her captor, she fought just a little less as she saw him chewing over the option.

"Ten gold?" he eyed him up some more, cautious. "That all?"

Vels held her breath, looking to Gavin, if not a little spiteful he'd even stand here doing this in the middle of the street!

DragonSong

He let out a noise of frustration, shifting uncomfortably. People were starting to stare. "How much more do you want?" he demanded exasperatedly. Smoke cawed at him, flexing his talons, and Gavin winced slightly as the sharp points dug into his shoulder.

visualspice

It was only then a tall, gruff looking man stepped away from a nearby stall. He had observed only enough of this exchange to realize what was going on, and his eyes went to Vels and looked her over.

"A new slave on the market?" came his gruff inquery.  Vels' captor grinned.

"Yes, only the freshest sort. And she's young," he pointed out to the new man, seeing how he eyed her over. "Though scrappy, you can see she's got a lot of energy for all sorts of chores."

"Ten gold is something to scoff at. She's worth at least double. Why not give her to me for twenty five and we call it a day."

DragonSong

Gavin looked to the newcomer, scowling.

But okay. They wanted to barter, he could barter. "Twenty five for a flight risk?" he asked, raising his eyebrows. "That seems like you'll just be losing your money, friend."

He turned back to the slaver and said bluntly, "Fifteen."

Which was all he had. Smoke clucked in his ear, calling him seven different kinds of fool.

visualspice

The man eyed Gavin over darkly. But he was stubborn. Perhaps a bigger fool.
"Twenty six if we do this now to shut up this peasquawk."

DragonSong

"Thirty."

Smoke squawked incredulously and his own eyes widened. What the hell was he doing?

"Thirty," he repeated, almost against his own will. Oh gods, where am I going to get this money?

visualspice

Though internally he might be freaking out, Vels eyes exposed all of her emotions too easily as she looked at Gavin.

"Thirty gold? Are you mad?" she squawked, but the sudden whack of her master's stick had her grunting out an 'OUCH!' while the man looked down his nose at her.

"Thirty gold?" he repeated, looking between the two. The other man hesitated, and turned to Gavin to see if the little pipsqueak was so sure of his amount.

DragonSong

Gavin gave a sharp nod. "I happen to represent a rather wealthy man," he said, hoping he sounded convincing. "I believe he'd be quite...pleased to purchase the girl." He nodded in her direction. Please, please let this work.

visualspice

The offended face Vels made was only trumped by that of the cat-like grin of her master.

"I expect paid in full on the spot," he went on, hand extended.

DragonSong

Gavin- heart pounding- set about bluffing his ass off. "I'm afraid it doesn't work that way, sir," he said. "Half now, half when I bring the girl back to my employer's estate."

He held out the coin purse. "Here's your first half. Do we have a deal?"