Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bibliophiles Unite!

Started by Zero, January 28, 2016, 07:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"Oh, I see. That is good, then." It was a bit of a relief to know he wouldn't be causing her trouble with his visit this evening. Then again, the visit wasn't over. Keiran would have to withhold judgment on whether he caused her trouble or not until he managed to safely leave.

The young man watched her shaking hands as they covered her face, his expression falling just slightly with worry. Was it all too much? Of course she was excited, and understandably so, but he hated to think that he was overwhelming her with all of this. Lyssa was unused to the type of lifestyle that his classmates enjoyed. It had never occurred to him before that moment, but what if she actually ended up disliking the upper-class environment?

"You do not have to –" Keiran had been going to insist that thanks were unnecessary, but his tongue got all tied up on itself as he felt her arms slide around him once more. This hug was different. It was less energetic, but suddenly his heart was racing and he could feel the color and heat within his cheeks.

What did one do in such a situation? He truly wasn't sure! Women didn't throw their arms around him in hugs. His interactions with women were stiff, formal, and polite. This was definitely not that. Was he supposed to return the embrace? Keiran was hesitant and unsure as he brought his arms up to gently squeeze Lyssa in a hug.

"I really am pleased that I could do this for you. Your happiness is all the thanks I need." That was why he had made the arrangement, after all. Why he had wanted to make her happy? Well that seemed rather obvious. Of course he liked her. Lyssa was very intelligent and kind.

The returned hug was brief, as he let his arms fall away even as he sighed and let the weary resignation leech back in. "I had hoped that I would be there when you started your lessons."

DragonSong

Her excitement was taking up so much space in her mind that it actually took her a few moments to truly register what he'd said. Once she had though, she frowned in confusion and tilted her head at him slightly.

"You mean...you won't be?" Almost the moment the words left her mouth she was blushing again and dropping her eyes. "I-- I mean, I'm sure you're busy, I don't mean to impose or anything, you've done so much already," she babbled quickly.

Zero

"Oh no, you are not an imposition at all." Keiran tried to reassure her quickly. "I really wish to be there when you begin your lessons, but my father had other news for me in his letter. My older brother, Conrad, has been engaged to be married. I must return to Ravensway to attend the wedding, of course."

Hopefully he could return quickly to his studies. He wasn't sure how long his father would demand he remain at home, though. The sole reason he had managed to avoid an arranged marriage so long himself was because Conrad had not been wed yet. Once his older brother was married there would be no more using that as an excuse.

DragonSong

"Oh, well that's wonderful!" Lyssa smiled and clasped her hands in front of her body. "Pass my congratulations along."

She suddenly realized that might be overstepping her bounds and ducked her head, adding in a sheepish mumble, "I-- I mean, if that's alright, of course. I know I don't really know your brother or anything, I just thought..."

Gods, what was wrong with her? The excitement and nerves must be getting to her, that was it.

Zero

Keiran couldn't stop the grimace at her reaction, but he quickly changed his expression into something closer to his normal neutral. An engagement wasn't always a happy occasion. Unlike commoners that married for love, his brother's marriage was all about money and politics.

"No, it is quite alright. Well wishes are always welcome." Nobody could argue over people wanting to send them good intentions. "You would probably like my brother."

Most women seemed to. That made him frown again.

DragonSong

She smiled, relieved she hadn't seemed to offend. "Oh, I'm sure I would, if he's even half the man you are," she chuckled, eyes glinting.

Once again her mouth seemed to be moving faster than her brain. Her eyes went round and she blinked, then added quickly, "I mean-- well, you know, i-if you think I'd like him, then I'm sure I would," she tried to backpedal, forcing a quick little laugh.

Zero

"Half the man...?" Keiran's brow had knit in confusion as he repeated the words as if not understanding them, and that was because at first he really didn't. When realization of what she'd said dawned on him, which was about halfway through her trying to explain what she'd meant by it, his blue eyes widened immensely. Also his face grew hotter than he could ever actually recall it being.

"Oh, I mean, yes I really think you would. I think Conrad is probably twice the man I am, in many ways anyway." After all, Keiran was a scholarly mage where Conrad was more of a warrior. Women seemed to prefer men of that caliber, which had always been fine with him.

The very embarrassed young mage coughed lightly into his hand before smiling wanly at Lyssa. "I really do wish that I was not leaving the city just as you have been accepted into the college."

DragonSong

Lyssa shook her head quickly, smiling though her own blush was flaring in response to Keiran's. "Oh no, that's alright, really! You've already done so much-- I'm sure I can manage a few days on my own," she laughed lightly.

If she was being honest, she was nervous about attending the college without him. But that was ridiculous, wasn't it? surely she could manage on her own; she'd been doing it for years before they'd even met.

Although...it wasn't just the absence of a guide that had her chest tightening. "I'll...I'll miss you though," she added with a slightly wistful smile.

Zero

There were so many thoughts racing in his head, although he still thought his heart was racing faster than even his mind. It was not likely to only be a few days he was gone. Keiran might end up caught up at the family estate for weeks. Despite only knowing Lyssa for a short time, the thought of not seeing her at all for that long did make his stomach lurk in a not at all pleasant way.

Especially when she said she would miss him.

"I think I shall miss you as well, I have not made another friend quite like you in all my life." Keiran said, feeling his blush returning just as it had started to fade a bit. "Although, I will likely be gone some weeks, not mere days, considering travel time, preparations, helping with some traditions, and just generally visiting with my family for the first time in quite a while."

DragonSong

"I...see."

Even she could hear how plain the disappointment was in her voice, so she forced a quick smile to try to cover it up. "I mean...that's nice, isn't it? If you haven't seen your family in a while, I'm sure you're anxious to spend time with them!"

Zero

The note of disappointment had not been lost on Keiran, and he shared that disappointment heavily. He did not wish to leave her for so long, although he did not doubt she could manage just fine on her own without him.

"I am and I am not eager to see them again. It is very...complicated." A noble family was not like a commoner family, he imagined that Lyssa's experience of family was far warmer than his own memories growing up in a rigid household with many rules of decorum that didn't allow for the same closeness he had observed in lowborn families.

It was not a lack of love, exactly, but the rules were stifling and the displays of affection were muted by the calls of duty – not something easily explained to someone who had not experienced it firsthand.

Simply showing someone would be far easier.

The notion jarred him suddenly. What if he did show her? Lyssa would sign a contract agreeing to work for his family once she left the college. It might be a good idea for her to see his home if she was going to work there some day. There was also the far more selfish reason that if she were with him there would be no cause to miss her.

"Ah, Miss Lyssa, I had a sudden thought, and I understand if you decline, but would you like to go with me? If you have never attended a noble wedding, well they are quite the affair, truly something to behold. I would be honored to have you as my guest." Keiran blushed again and looked away, not even aware he was wringing his hands nervously. "It would also allow you to see where you might live for a time after your studies have finished. Of course you would have to briefly delay beginning those studies."

DragonSong

Lyssa's eyes went-- if possible-- even rounder. "Go...with you?"

Her mind was suddenly whirling, turning over the idea. If she had been so nervous just meeting a few noble ladies who'd one day be her classmates, how on earth was she going to manage meeting Kerian's whole family, her patrons, at a wedding of all places?

But... Oh gods, she wanted to go.

Smiling a little nervously, she reached out to take his hands in hers, noticing he'd been wringing them. Seemed he was a little on edge too. The thought made her just a tad bolder-- as did the knowledge that they shared a nervous habit. Silly perhaps, but she found her smile growing all the same.

"I would love to go, Keiran, if you're sure it's alright," she murmured, nodding happily.

Zero

Well Lyssa taking his hands in hers did make Keiran stop fidgeting, but his blush increased tenfold. It was not like he was unaware that his librarian friend was far more liberal with physical touch than he was used to, but it still shocked him slightly each time.

"Of course it is alright for me to bring a guest." Perhaps the words were rushed out a little too quickly, he wondered if he sounded inappropriately eager? "I am also certain that father would like to meet you, given his impending financial contributions to your education. Conrad might be a little surprised that I would invite someone, but only because he will be shocked I did not bring a book instead of a person."

Keiran managed to chuckle at himself, squeezing her hands gently as he started to calm slightly now that it was settled that she would go with him. He made him feel suspiciously better not to be leaving her behind.

"Oh, but if you are to go with me you will need to pack and prepare. The wedding is still almost two weeks away, but I must leave by tomorrow evening so that I can help with arrangements. I am sorry for the extremely short notice, but I was not given much notice myself." Keiran had not known his father was evening pursuing a marriage for Conrad, and frankly he was a bit shocked at who his brother would be marrying.

DragonSong

Well. That certainly wasn't very much time at all.

But she wasn't about to complain. With another smile, Lyssa gave his hands a quick squeeze before releasing them, leaning back against the wall behind her. "Alright then. I'll have to tell Moira, but I'm sure I can pack tonight. I'll meet you in the morning-- oh goodness, where should we meet?" Her eyes widened a bit more.

"What on earth am I supposed to wear?"

She'd never been to any event even remotely similar-- and judging by the reactions of those two nasty women Keiran had so deftly dismissed from the library, her normal attire likely wasn't going to be up to snuff.

Zero

Keiran felt bad about the short notice, but he was happy that she had agreed to go with him. It would be nice having good intellectual company on the trip and once they arrived. He had not actually formulated a solid plan for this little adventure.

"Oh, well I suppose I will pick you up at your residence. I remember how to get there from walking you home. As for clothing..." The young lord looked Lyssa over, tapping his chin thoughtfully for a moment before sighing. "Well your normal attire will be fine for traveling, but I suppose we will have to get you a proper gown for the wedding itself. My seamstress in Ravensway will be happy to help with that, I am certain of that."

DragonSong

"O-oh-- are you sure? I wouldn't want to impose..." Lyssa bit her lip and shuffled her feet slightly, clasping her hands in front of her body.

She truly didn't want to put Keiran's family out more than she already had, but honestly it was probably the only way she could find something to wear that wouldn't scandalize them. The lesser of two evils, she supposed...

Zero

"Oh quite sure, it is really little trouble at all." Keiran didn't dare say that he was sure she did not have a gown appropriate for a noble wedding, that would have been very rude. Besides, even if her current clothing was perfectly fine, well, he was quite curious to see her in some finery.

The young lord thought she looked quite lovely as she was, but all dressed up she would probably shine even brighter. His face actually flushed a little once again at the thought.

"Ah, are you almost finished with your work for the day? I would enjoy walking you home again, if you did not object, of course. I know that I will be seeing you in the morning, but I..." Keiran blushed harder, eyes fluttering down and away. He wanted to prolong his visit, to not leave for as long as he could appropriately accompany her. Those words couldn't choke out of him.

He was being silly.

DragonSong

Lyssa's cheeks heated and she cleared her throat, though she was smiling as she looked up at him. "Well, I-- I just have to clock out, really. If you don't mind waiting a few moments for me to do that...yes. Yes, I'd like very much if you could walk me home."

She hesitated a moment, then cautiously reached out to brush her fingers over the back of his hand, almost as though she was intending to take it in her own, before she quickly pulled back again. "I just, ah... Thank you, Keiran. For everything."

Zero

There was that peculiar little stutter in his chest again as she agreed to let him walk her home. They would both have much to do to prepare for a departure the next day, but he still found himself wishing to procrastinate.

He really was being illogical and nonsensical!

Then again, the little jolt that went through him as her fingers brushed over his hand was also quite illogical. Suddenly he wished he could talk to his brother. Conrad would have been able to help him make sense of all the odd little feelings Lyssa invoked.

Soon he could do just that.

"It is my pleasure, Miss Lyssa. I am happy to wait if it means a chance to walk with you." Keiran cleared his throat and glanced back at her shyly. "I will be right here, when you finish inside."

DragonSong

The young librarian beamed and reached out to pat his hand lightly again, then whirled away to dart back into the building.

It was a quick enough process to sign or for the day, though Moira harrumphed at her about it, and then she was quickly bidding her coworker farewell and slipping back out and around to the back of the library.

"Alright." Just a little flushed and breathless, she smiled at Keiran again as she clapped her hands and rocked back and forth on her heels. "Are, ah— are you ready?"