Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Isabeau and the Stowaway (Dragonsong)

Started by Whim, January 31, 2016, 12:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

"So what do I do? Just jump in close before I get my head cut off?" Ewan squinted at the little knife. He'd probably need it some day. His magic wasn't very good at fighting anything off. Though between the size of him and the knife he wasn't very threatening. He whined, "And how do you parry without getting your hand chopped?"

The scrawny kid wasn't much good no matter how hard Isabeau tried to correct him. His grip on the dagger was weak, and he flinched too easily.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

DragonSong

The captain sighed and rubbed a hand down her face. "The idea if to not need to use it. But if you have to, be fast, and be sneaky. Use your size to your advantage, duck under an opponent's guard."

Whim

They danced around each-other some more. One time the boy did manage to weave beneath her reach with the dagger, wrapped up to prevent injury. His face lit up with smug satisfaction, "There! See?" Of course on the next two tries he was subsequently tripped then knocked flat on his button. He growled up at the pirate, "Well now you're just showing off!"

It was quite late now and Ewan was tired and sweaty. He set the knife down on a nearby desk and slumped against the wall. "I guess we'd better sleep for tomorrow. Can I, uh, stay here again? I mean I don't think your crew wants to throw me overboard but..."

The floor of Isabeau's cabin was a lot more comfortable. And hopefully looking cute was enough to dredge up sympathy.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

DragonSong

Hardly even breathing hard, Isabeau rolled her eyes. "Oh- why not. Grab a blanket," she muttered, turning away from him to strip out of her salty, sticky blouse and breeches.

"If I trip over you in the middle of the night you're out on your ass," she tossed over her shoulder.

Whim

(We can back track if there was anything missed. Figure we've milled about the boat for a while now.)

"So you don't watch where you step and I'll have to sleep on a splintery floor?" he flashed an impish grin and snatched a nearby blanket, curling up in in the corner of the room. The boy briefly averting his eyes from Isabeau; girls hardly had the same allure for him these days. Thoughts of losing his magic book, and how he'd really be some smelly little dockrat without it now, staved off sleep. He decided not to complain since Isabeau was probably sick of hearing of it.

The captain's own dreams were troubled. She was on a raft in the ocean amidst the flotsam of a shipwreck. Her crew called out from the water around her, begging to be rescued, but the fog was thick. Each time she paddled to drowning sailor something would drag him screaming beneath the waves... she would wake in a cold sweat.

The morning after was fortunately uneventful. Isabeau walked the deck. Crag had the men lower the sails and prepare for docking. Ewan scurried about swabbing the deck and running errands. swabbed the deck and cleaned the galley surprisingly well when Tully put a scare into him.

By noon Faran's rest was in sight. It was technically part of Yoreiq but so tiny and remote from the archipelago it was never inhabited. Now, it was a shanty town sporting a few orchards in the scrubby highlands.There was no proper lord or chieftain, though a former captain called Snorri Darkfisher collected tribute from residents in exchange for protection. There was an understanding between crews that peace was to be kept, at least while dockside.

Ewan Sat perched on a barrel at the helm, while Isabeau guided the Poison Storm onto the dock.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Isabeau glanced at the boy as she guided the ship into port, calling orders to her crew. "Here, make yourself useful." She tossed him a length of rope. "Go help Neil tie up the sails."

Whim

"Neil's?" Ewan cringed and looked toward Neil, shoulders sagging. The spell was starting to fade from the sailor, the texture returned but the flesh was still greenish.

The burly sailor lept down from the mast with a thud, laying out the sail. Close to Isabeau's age and more a bky than a man he wouldn't have been horribly intimidating if not for being enormous.

"Isn't there anyone else I can help" Ewan pouted.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

She arched an eyebrow. "Don't back talk me, lad. Besides-" She jerked her head in Neil's direction. "If you can get him to like you, you've got nothing to worry about on this ship. Now get moving."

She grabbed his shoulder to turn him and gave him and little slap on his lower back to get him moving.

Whim

"Ow! What was-" Ewan looked Isabeau up and down giving her the stinkeye. "Yes catain." The boy sighed and trotted odd toward Neil's, rubbing his bottom for show.

He approached Neil's and gulped, standing up to the pirates waist. "It's wearing off. You're less green and-" he chewed his lip with hesitation. "-do you need any help with the sail..?"

Meanwhile Crag approached Isabeau, balancing a dagger on his palm. "Reckon we'll need four to five more. Floren and the three who kicked off, plus one or two always vanish at Port." The big man's voice dropped, "haven't had luck with the signals. How bout you?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

She shook her head with a sigh, pulling her eyes away from the cabin boy to look at her first mate. "Nothing. And it's making me edgy. Only a fool really trusts pirates, but feeling like any one of my crew could have turned on me is driving me mad."

Isabeau dragged a hand down her face. "Here. Take the helm, I'm gonna go help the lads with the cargo." She need to do something to distract herself.

Whim

At Neils' direction, Ewan scurried off to get the far edge of the sail and begin rolling. The boy dusted his hands and cleared his throat,

"Anyway, um, I'm sorry," he awkwardly extended a slim hand, "thought I could save you from an ugly scar but I messed up."

"Don't hurt to remind 'em you're one of 'em," Crag nodded in approval. "Wouldn't want anyone gettin' bad ideas on account of a mutineer. 'specially with new crew coming."

The crewmen picked up the pace unloading the cargo (an assortment of whatever quality goods were aboard the Poison Storm's prey). The habit of letting a woman do lifting died hard for some, even at sea. Several mules and a hooded merchant sat on the docks to relieve them of their loot.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Tags: