Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Crouching Owl, Hidden Leopard

Started by Rhindeer, February 25, 2016, 04:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Owl kept up a good pace, narrowly avoiding getting literally clotheslined once or twice. It was hard to see the lines in the dark when they were empty of clothing! Finally, though, she started to run out of steam, but she pushed herself until she reached the end of the block, hopping across one roof to another and landing a bit more gracelessly than planned, and coming to a stop at the end.

Panting, she leaned over with her hands on her knees to catch her breath, then looked over at Herrick. "Alright, now that we've woken up half the neighborhood..." And indeed, several lights had flickered on in the homes below as they passed. "I need a for reals breather."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Herrick still looked pretty energetic when he stopped next to Owl, and he nodded, giving her a pat on the shoulder.

"Let's go find a nice, quiet roof to sit on, then," Herrick said, and he motioned for the two of them to just walk along the roofs, although he did so with a slight amount of caution and stealth, as to not make any more noise.

"Good run, by the way."

Rhindeer

"Good run," Owl agreed as she picked her way over the roofs, and finally came to the edge of an abandoned, dilapidated building. With a soft groan, she sat, letting her legs dangle over the edge, and learned back on her hands.

It was an ugly, smelly part of the city.

But the view wasn't half bad at all, the sky clear tonight and the stars bright, though the moon was just a fingernail in the dark.

Night had started to become less creepy, the longer she went without any contact from Smed or Varian. Maybe they had given up. She certainly hoped so.

"Think I'm still cursed?" she said at length, staring up at the moon.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"I don't quite know how to answer that," Herrick said, sitting down next to Owl.

"It looks pretty calm to me. Then again, there's always a calm before the storm."

He looked at her, and he took his mask off, letting his skin breathe as he met her eyes.

"What's up, Princess? You didn't look so hot when we got to your house."

Rhindeer

Owl quickly looked away. "Nothing's wrong, really. I just didn't feel like going home," she said with a shrug, looking back up at the sky.

"Just...enjoying my freedom. It gets stuffy indoors."

DaGlobster

"Mmm," Herrick said, and he glanced up to the stars.

"Fuck, it's pretty out here."

Rhindeer

"Yeah..." Owl murmured, and pulled her mask up so it sat on her forehead. It was a little chilly as the air cooled her sweat, but it felt nice despite the goosebumps.

"I always loved the nights. Guess that's why I went with an owl theme. It was always that special time when I could just be, well...me." She snorted. "Real owls are lucky. They don't have those kinds of issues. On the other hand, they eat rats, so they don't have it all that glamorous, either."

She looked curiously at Herrick. "Why'd you pick leopard?"

DaGlobster

"Well, I just sort of looked at my style," Herrick said.

"I like to jump down on people and ambush them, and I know leopards like to do that. Leopards are stealthy, too, just like me."

He gave Owl a lopsided grin, and he lightly slugged her shoulder.

"They're bigger than owls, too."

Rhindeer

"Noooot necessarily!" Owl said, and slugged him back.

"There's legends of like giant birds in some parts of the world! Predatory ones that fly in the deserts! I'm sure there's some woodland version where there's a giant owl, because why wouldn't there be? I bet those giant owls could eat a leopard. PLUS! Plus owls can fly. Leopards can't."

She grinned. "Plus owls are like super wise and smart and stuff."

DaGlobster

"Ah, but what do owls kill? Snakes? Mice? Rabbits?"

Herrick scoffed a bit, but it was playful.

"Leopards kill deer, or wolves. Big game," Herrick said.

"But I'll give the flying to you."

Rhindeer

"But a giant owl could kill all of those things. And fly. And snatch up leopards. Besides, have you ever seen a normal one up close? I bet they could take your face off! Their talons are huge!" she said, spreading her arms wide.

Exaggerating, you know, just a little.

DaGlobster

"I've seen plenty owls," Herrick said.

"And the one mythical giant owl doesn't set the bar for all owls. How do you know there isn't a giant leopard, bigger than the giant owl?"

Rhindeer

"Because the giant owl already ate the giant leopard," Owl answered with a cheeky grin, sticking her tongue out at Herrick.

DaGlobster

Herrick scoffed.

"You really can't let me win, can you?" Herrick said, and he scooted a bit closer to her.

"So, uh... what do you do on your hero patrols, anyways? You just prowl about, ambushing evildoers from the rooftops?"

Rhindeer

"Nnnoooope," Owl said without missing a beat. Winning was too much fun.

At his question, she cocked her head curiously. "Well, yes, of course," she said, blinking. "Not always from the rooftops, though. From the ground, too."

DaGlobster

"Well, with the two of us, it should be much easier to take out lone targets. Not to mention groups of guys as well," Herrick said.

He fell silent after that, leaning back on his hands much like she was. He didn't realize it, but his hand was dangerously close to hers.

"How long you fixing on staying out for?"

Rhindeer

"Hrm," Owl said, oblivious to where Herrick's hand was, since her eyes were forward and her hands were behind. "It'll be easier. But easier might not be better. I want to be competent at taking people out on my own. I have to be good at what I do, really sell myself. Not just anyone can be a knight, much less a girl. Not that I'll let them know I'm a girl. Not at first, at least."

She huffed out a sigh, that anxiety making her stomach knot. She had to make some big moves soon, before she ran out of time, and she didn't yet feel good enough.

"I figure I'll stay out until I have to go back," she said, and fought back a creeping yawn. "Or until I get too tired. You can always go back without me if you're bored. I'll be fine."

DaGlobster

"Nah, I'd rather be out here with you," Herrick said.

"Also, take this tip from me: When it comes to becoming a knight, if you just prove what you can do, people tend to look past the surface details, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about being a girl," Herrick explained, and he looked to her.

"I mean, I'm not sayin it's going to be a path of rose petals and a warm bath, either, but even though I was a tribal, the Adelan crown took me into its service once I proved myself."

Herrick grinned.

"Always be on the lookout for your shot to greatness, Owl. You'll enver know when it can come."

Rhindeer

"Think so?" Owl said, still a little skeptical. Things were more difficult in that regard for women, and a noblewoman, expected to marry and continue her family's bloodline? Even more difficult. She always knew it was going to be bloody difficult, and if anything, that only made her more determined.

It was nice, though, to hear it at least wasn't impossible.

"Well, then I'll just have to become great enough that it won't be an issue. It's so silly to me that it's an issue in the first place. Shaith, founder of Serendipity itself, was a warrior queen, after all."

DaGlobster

"Well, things got a funny way of changing as time goes on," Herrick said, still staring up at the stars while he spoke.

He was silent for a few moments, before he looked to her.

"So, what kinda knight you gonna be? Are you going to join an order, or represent your family?"