Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Crouching Owl, Hidden Leopard

Started by Rhindeer, February 25, 2016, 04:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"I think I wanna join an order of some sort," Owl said, thinking. "Maybe.  Something that protects the city. This is my home, and I COULD be a knight for my family maybe but then I'd still be under their thumb."

Then she shrugged. "But I haven't really thought that far ahead, honestly. Maybe I'll just stick to being an independent crime figher! But...I'd rather be legit. You know, work with the law."

She glanced over at him. "What about you? What are you gonna do with this new leaf you're turning?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Don't quite know yet. Let's see how the life of a vigilante treats me first, then we'll see what happens," Herrick said, meeting her gaze.

"I think the crown's got an order of night that stays in the city, keeps it safe and whatnot. Can't remember their name off the top of my head, but I know they're pretty good. Had a couple run-ins with them in my time."

Rhindeer

"Pfffft. Thinking about joining the people you once antagonized?" Owl asked with a snort.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"No, I'm suggesting them to you. You know, I can sneak into the place. Help you get accepted once you're old enough," Herrick teased.

He let the moment hang for a while before he looked at her.

"What happens after you become a knight? What's next for the great Owl?"

Rhindeer

"After that? Well, then it's all about making Arca a better place," Owl said with a nod. "Protecting the innocent, defending the weak, bringing evil-doers to justice. And after Arca, Kia's Court. And after Kia's Court, Serendipity. And after Serendipity, the world!"

She paused.

"Of course, that's a way's off yet."

DaGlobster

"Wow," Herrick said, letting out a surprised breath.

He gave her a look and allowed himself to flop backwards.

"Sounds liek you've got your work cut out for you."

Rhindeer

"Yeah, it's a wild dream, I know. And I know I can't fix the world. No one can. But I do think all it takes is just one person to make it a little better. I made it a little better for one boy today, and any other boys that monster might have hurt. That's something, right?"

With a sigh, she drew one leg up and looped her arms around her knee, hugging it to her chest. "I don't know why I had to be born nobility."

DaGlobster

"Hey, be thankful for that," Herrick said, and he put a hand on Einin's shoulder.

"Trust me, you can do a lot worse than being born into nobility. I know a lot about it sucks, trust me, but it's a hell of a lot better than being born common."

Herrick reached into his backpack, and pulled out a canteen.

"Water?"

Rhindeer

Owl let out a soft huff--but didn't argue. She knew she was being hyperbolic and dramatic; after all, she was privileged while plenty of common folk were starving on the streets. Most folk would kill for what she had, and that thought made her stomach twist with a pang of guilt.

His offer drew her out of her thoughts, and she glanced over at the canteen and shrugged. "I could use a little, sure," she said, and took a swig from it.

DaGlobster

Herrick gave Einin a smile, and when she finished her swig, he took one of his own.

"You're using it for good, though. Giving back to the people and all that by protecting them."

Rhindeer

"That's true," Owl said as she wiped her lips off on the back of her hand. "Well, okay. Maybe I'm not so bummed about being a noble. It's not all bad. Maybe I just should've been born a boy instead. Now that would make things easier."

DaGlobster

"Don't take that for granted either!" Herrick said, and he waggled his eyebrows.

"There's a lot of things girls can do better than guys. For example, you'll catch people by surprise when you kick their asses."

He gave her a wry grin.

Rhindeer

"That's true!" Owl said with a smirk, eyes thoughtful. "I guess when I become a full knight, it won't matter whether I'm a girl or not. And people tend to underestimate us. Even though there's a lot of great women warriors."

DaGlobster

"There is, yeah. But for every great warrior woman, there's ten better-than-average male warriors."

Herrick sighed, and he put a hand back on Owl's shoulder.

"I know you'll knock 'em dead, though. Even with your bright pink hair," he said with a smirk.

Rhindeer

Owl pulled a face at that and huffed. "That's only 'cause they won't let girls fight. There'd be more if they weren't so obsessed with breeding us like prize horses."

She tossed her hair, glamoured brown though it was. "And the hair just makes me memorable."

DaGlobster

Herrick grinned at that.

"That it does."

He leaned back, staring up at the night sky.

"You know, I've been thinking we could take a break from training tomorrow. A night on the town, perhaps?"

Rhindeer

Owl paused at that, and gave Herrick a cautious look. "What kind of 'night on the town'?"

DaGlobster

"I dunno. Maybe a classy tavern somewhere in the ritzy part of town?" Herrick said.

"It's been a while since I've unwound properly."

Rhindeer

Owl grimaced at the word "tavern".

"Uhh...maybe not that," she said slowly, quietly.

DaGlobster

"How about a restaurant?"

Herrick paused for a moments.

"You got restaurants in Arca, right?"