Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ripples in Velvet Sand

Started by Lion, March 08, 2016, 11:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Evidently, everything she had decreed had been coming true.  He could feel his body growing lethargic all ready.  He eyed her mother, expression grateful, and he bowed his head.  "You too kind.  There's no way I'll be able to repay you."  He kept on moving, walking a little easier now that his pain had subsided. 

"Thank you," he said and gently squeezed Tiaret's shoulder.  "You're nicer than your mother."

But once his eyes fell on Chephirah, his hand retracted.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

It was a good thing he retracted his hand when he did, because while Chephirah would tolerate Tiaret touching him to help him, the opposite? Noooot so much. And when his hand lingered just a little too long for Chephirah's liking, her lips pulled back to bare her large, sharp teeth as her ears went back.

Any longer and he may have lost that hand.

Their eyes met, and Chephirah's eyes narrowed, letting him know plainly that she was watching him. It wasn't enough, though, for she slowed her pace and came to walk beside them, one hand going out to grip Tiaret's elbow.

A strange male touching her blind, helpless daughter? Oh hell no.

"I'm quite nice, actually," Chephirah said, deciding to let him know she could hear his every word, too. Tiaret bit back a soft groan. She had only wanted to talk to him. "After all, I'm giving you shelter and a meal, aren't I?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

Atalier expected such a reaction from her, but for some reason he only smirked at the glance she had given him, although it was very brief.  She was protective of her daughter, that much was evident and a notion he could respect.  He wouldn't try to cross her, but he didn't think letting her see him as weak would do anything in his favor.

"I appreciate your hospitality, Chephirah," he said, bowing his head once again.  "I suppose every mouse should be grateful for not being stepped on."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

"Indeed they should," Chephirah said, while Tiaret fell silent--though the look on her face was a hybrid of annoyance and disappointment. This was embarrassing, being mothered like this. It was embarrassing every other time, and even worse now in front of someone new. She knew her mother's heart was in the right place, but it only made her feel...well...

Like a bloody invalid.

Besides, this man was hardly a threat!

Squirming a little, she managed to free her arm, more than capable of keeping up with them on her own, thank you! To her relief, Chephirah let her go.

"I expect nothing but good behavior and respect from you when we arrive," Chephirah continued. "Understand that my pride may be...wary of you. Many come from difficult situations, and you may not be a lion, but you're still a man." She looked at him, lifting an eyebrow. "Our relationship with the males of our kind is...complicated." It was a fine line to walk, and it could go bad quickly. Many prides had found that balance and lived harmoniously, but Chephirah's experience had not been so happy.

Soon enough, there came the sound of water as Chephirah lead them around a bend to a spot where the canyon opened up. There, a small waterfall in the shade of the canyon, no more than a trickle really, emptied into a little basin. It was green all around it, a stark contrast to the rest of the dead, dusty land. A tiny oasis, but a haven nonetheless.

And all around it were tents, along with blankets laid out for those that wanted to enjoy the cooler nights or escape the stuffiness of the tents during the day.

And that camp was full of lions. Some in lion form, some in human form, some children, some old enough to be grandparents, and everything in between. There were no men, but there were young boys, the children running around and playing while most of the other adults appeared to be doing what lions did best.

Sleeping.

Chephirah looked over at Atalier. "Welcome to our camp."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

"Whoa."

It was the only word that would pass his lips as he viewed the canyon inlet.  It was much bigger and more populated than he would have ever imagined, and seeing them all here as a people was more than he could have dreamed.  They were as foreign to him as he was to them, but the fascination was overwhelming.  It was -
"Beautiful," he murmured aloud.

He breathed in sharply looking at Chephirah and there was a genuine smile on his face, a look of deep gratitude.  "I will.  Thank you.  Some water and food would be nice."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Beautiful, eh? That earned him another sharp, warning look from Chephirah.

"They are," she agreed tightly, tail lashing in twitchy, erratic little motions, "but don't get any ideas. Come."

She motioned for him to follow her as she strode toward the water, and as she did, the other women and children began to notice him. There were a variety of reactions: mothers pulling their children in closer, some baring teeth, some tucking tails and laying back ears, some watching curiously and fearlessly with ears pricked forward and tails relaxed. Her pride was diverse, and diverse in experiences, as well, and not everyone had come from troubling circumstances. Some had grown up there, never knowing any of the darker things that happened beyond their territory, and some had just needed a tribe to join.

Chephirah looked at her pride, face and posture calm. Exuding calm was the key to relaxing others. "This is Atalier," she announced. "I found him in the desert, unarmed and weak and dying." Maybe that was an exaggeration, but he would have been dead at the rate he was going. "I offered him our hospitality, and he knows our rules. He won't be here long."

And then she turned back to Atalier, and motioned to the basin. "Drink," she said, "slowly, though, or you'll be sick. I'll fetch you some food." After all, she'd brought him here, so it was her responsibility to watch him. She turned to leave, but an older woman approached her then, whispered something in her ear, and she sighed.

"Tiaret," she called.

Tiaret's ears went up at the sound of her name, and she turned her face toward her mother's voice, head cocked.

"See that he's fed and made comfortable. I have to tend to some matters." And with that said, she turned to walk off with the other woman, leaving Tiaret behind.

Tiaret, who was one of those lions that had never been exposed to anything awful, and who was merely curious about the human.

And similarly relieved that her mother was now gone so she didn't have to watch herself like a bad child!

With a smile, she stepped closer to Atalier, tail swishing. "Sooo..." she said, and her smile turned wry. "Sorry about my mother."

Lion

At last they were free of the smothering and frankly somewhat terrifying supervision of Chephirah.  Atalier wasn't going to pretend he wasn't wary of her.  He was old enough to be aware of himself, and the fact that six hundred pounds of angry lioness wasn't a fight he could easily win, even with the use of his power.  He still had a task to complete, but for now, he was a guest in their home, and as curious as the other lionesses were, he tried not to be more conspicuous than he all ready was.

He turned to Tiaret instead and smiled.  "It's all right," he said, waving a hand like it was nothing, although he would never admit that her mother was terrifying.  "I know for a fact I'd be as wary as her if a stranger came into my home.  However, I can't thank you enough on your generosity.  You have my deepest gratitude."

Atalier smiled at her and nudged her shoulder gently.  "Come on, you had some things to show me right?  I'll be your eyes, but I'm sure you know your home best."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Tiaret couldn't help but laugh at his offer--not a derisive one, just an amused one. Oh, she could find her way around her home just fine, provided nobody moved something to a different place than she was used to. But Chephirah generally made sure their camps were always organized in the same fashion no matter where they moved, so the layout was always the same regardless. She didn't need eyes to find what she needed here; it was only when she was somewhere unfamiliar that she lost confidence.

But she decided she would let him feel useful, and so she held out her arm for him to take.

"We slayed a warthog earlier," she said. "There should still be some left."

And she cocked her head then, thinking. "Do you...do humans eat meat?" Come to think of it, she wasn't sure what they ate! They had a lot in common with other primates, she knew, and primates sometimes didn't eat meat. Or they ate bugs. "Or insects?"

Lion

Her inexperience was rather intriguing or maybe she knew exactly what she was doing and he was the idiot for presuming she needed help at all.  He was gonna go with the latter for now, feeling himself blush at her playing along with him.  He blushed further at her laat comment.

"Yes I eat meat.  Most humans do I'd say.  Though, uh, recently I haven't been able to enjoy that luxury," he sighed.  He took her hand in his, fingers threading into hers and careful to avoid her claws.

"So what do, uh, you lionesses eat?  Your mother looked like she could feast on me and have plenty of room for seconds."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Though she was holding his hand, and though she was pretending to let him help her, she was the one that lead him along through the camp, guiding him with all the ease of someone who had their full vision. She measured her steps and created a mental map through smell to find her way around--and considering she was leading him to where they kept their store of meat, it was easy to find!

The warthog had been eaten raw when it was fresh, but once that meal was finished, the leftovers had been butchered, salted, and left to hang dry in a large, sturdy tent. Tiaret lead the way to the tent and pushed the flap aside, where various small cuts of meat hang.

She felt her way inside, then took down a leg and offered it to him with a smile.

It was salted, but it was still very much fresh and raw. "Here you go!"

Lion

Atalier took the raw meat in hand.  Really?  She was going to give him this without at least smoking it first!?  Oh, he supposed he was the fool yet again.  He was the human in the middle of a pride of curious, hungry, and aggressive lions.  That they didn't eat him on sight was a miracle all its own.  He slowly bit down and took the tiniest tear from the warthog meat and made loud chewing sounds.

"Hmmm!" he exaggerated.  "Delicious!  And you know what?  It'd taste even better over a fire.  You got one of those around here?"  Atalier chuckled and silently spat out the piece of raw meat in his mouth.  He could still taste the blood.  "I'm human, Tiaret.  I'll need to eat it cooked unfortunately.  Or I'll probably get sick.  I'm sure it's cleaned, yes!  But I don't have big lion teeth and tough lion digestion, unfortunately."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

...Oh.

Really?

Tiaret froze, blinking slowly. Truth be told, she had no idea what a human really looked like. For obvious reasons! Granted, she didn't even know what she even looked like, apart from what she could feel and what she was told, but even then she relied entirely on her imagination. She didn't even know what color looked like, after all.

That said, she had heard her kind and humans were similar when they were not in lion-form. And so she had assumed that meant he also must have sharp teeth and the ability to eat what she did, how she ate it.

She didn't know humans were so...fragile.

Her face colored at her own assumption, and because she had heard him spit it out. It was that bad? He could get sick?

Ooooooops!

"I'm so sorry!" she said, the healer in her quite horrified that she could have made him ill, and the perfectionist in her horrified that she had messed up that badly and offered a guest something he found vile. She should have asked his preferences! Not just assumed! That was rude manners on her part, ahhh! "I didn't realize...I didn't know you...here! I'll cook it!"

And she reached out for the meat, snatching it away. "Ah, can you build a fire? It should be fine after it's cooked? You won't be ill off what you tried, will you?"

Lion

Atalier blinked at her, hands vaguely bloodied from the meat and hurried after her as she went about the task.  He felt bad for suggesting he couldn't eat it.  But he couldn't, not like she could - or how he assumed she could anyway.  "W-wait.  Okay.  Um...  You guys don't have fire around here?  Like a furnace?  Torches, anything to keep warm.  Or do you just use your, well, nevermind."

He didn't know if he had the proper tools for fire, but he supposed he could find a way to make one.  Luckily there was lots of dry brush around them, pressed in the edges of the canyon walls where roots had shriveled up and small lizards scurried to get out of his way.  He pulled some, and pried at the roots. There was a hint of hesitation as he set up his pile, and made the roots the center of the kindling.

"Bring me a piece of metal yes?  I can make a fire, but it'll take a few tries."

Once he had everything he needed, Atalier looked about him, taking a deep breath before conjuring a hardened ball of sand.  He held it firmly before striking it against the metal.  He solidified the ball as hard as he could, and soon sparks began to take, showering the dried grass and roots and smoke soon began to rise.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Tiaret turned her face toward Atalier, her expression puzzled and eyebrows lifted. "It's hot during the day," she said, head tilted. And during the night the sand still held the sun's heat--and they were cozy in their tents, and cozier still if they shifted. Few of them slept alone, preferring to share body heat and company--and in more than a few cases, intimacy. They rarely had a need for fire.

But fire was useful for other things, like tanning furs and tempering tools and cauterizing wounds, and Tiaret fetched him a bit of flint and sat patiently by while he built a fire. Her ears flicked, taking in the sounds of his labor, and soon her nose twitched as smoke filtered up, and she sneezed.

"Do you need anything else?" she asked as she held the meat out to him, nose wrinkled. He was about to ruin perfectly delicious meat!

Lion

"Some spices would be nice," Atalier said thoughtfully as he made his small fire and set about sticking the meat between two sticks to allow it to cook evenly.  It was propped in the middle by a spike and he turned it slowly over the flame, letting the grease and fat hiss into the fire.

When he had everything he needed, he sprinkled the spices over the meat, letting it cook along with the fire.  A large drip of fat made the fire whip up a large lick of flame and nearly singe his hair.  Already the smell was making his stomach growl and when it was crispy enough he pulled it out of the fire and held it delicately  by it's spit.

"It smells wonderful," he said, although he wasn't sure she would agree.  He blew on it gently and took a bite, making soft sounds of pleasure at the way it melted in his mouth.  "This is the best thing I've had to eat in months.  Maybe years.  Thank you so much.  Would you like to try it?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Spices brought out the flavor of the meat, though many of the older generation still believed that all the flavor one needed was already there in the flesh and blood. Tiaret liked a little spice on her meat sometimes, to change things up, but from the smell of it, he was adding a lot more than she was used to!

She sat down by the fire, nose twitching as she took in the smells of cooking, seasoned meat--and her stomach let out a loud growl that surprised her. She put her hand over her belly and cleared her throat as though that would mask the sound--she had eaten not long ago, so why would she be hungry! But then she heard him eating, and then he went and offered her some...

Brow furrowing, she leaned in and took a sniff of it. To be honest, she had never tried cooked meat. Her family ate raw, and it was what she had always known. Their diets were simple and minimalist, just as their very lives were simple and minimalist. But he sounded like he was enjoying it--though maybe it was just that their kind and his kind had very different palates?

It didn't smell burnt and charred...

"Hmm...I don't want to take your meal," she said, and cocked her head. "Maybe just a taste?"

And she held her mouth open, waiting.

Lion

Oh, she was...waiting for him to....feed it to her? 

Was that what her mother did for her?

Atalier just stared for a moment between bites before taking a piece of the cooked meat and tossing it cautiously into her mouth.  He smiled, however, hopeful that she would like it.

"How does it taste?" he asked, tearing more cooked meat with his teeth and resisting the urge to moan at the flavor that he'd missed so much.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Well, he had offered! So she figured he would offer her the bite, too!

Which he did, by tossing it into her mouth.

Tiaret let out a startled sound as it hit her tongue and dropped it in surprise, but she caught it with her hand, sniffed at it curiously, and then took a nibble of it.

She chewed it slowly, brow creased as though in thought, and then took a larger bite. She cocked her head as she chewed, tail swaying as she considered his question and tried to decide what she thought about it, and then finished it off with another bite.

"Hmm..." she said, licking her lips and then her fingers. "It's...dry."

To a human, it was probably quite moist and juicy! But she was used to eating her meat bloody and warmed only with body heat. "Chewy. But the flavor is nice, if oddly smoky. It's an interesting flavor, but it could use more blood."

Lion

"You know, it is an acquired taste, I suppose," Atalier found himself laughing.  They were so different to think that even their tastes for a meal varied so greatly.  He didn't blame her - not that he had any reason to - and he just went about finishing his portion of the meat, feeling his hunger greatly satisfied.  It'd been the first time in what felt like forever that he had real food.

"If you were to ever wander among humans, eating bloodied meat might be frowned upon," he commented.  "They'd wonder if it was another human you were eating.  And...that's only acceptable in some circles.  But, I'm sure it's very good for you!  Lots of up...extra juices."

He laughed and used some of the sand in his hands to put out the fire once the meat was consumed.  He didn't tell her, but he put away a few bits in his pockets for later...  It wasn't like he knew exactly when his next meal was going to come along.  "I don't suppose I could have some water could I?  I don't know if I'm allowed to drink from that ....wonderful looking pool over there."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Tiaret's lip curled at his words, face paling in utter disgust. "You...you're telling me that some humans eat other humans?" she said, and felt her stomach churn at the thought. She might not even be human, but she couldn't fathom it; their kind were similar enough that it was basically cannibalism.

Not that cannibalism was a foreign concept to their kind.

"Do...do human males also eat children that aren't their own...?" she asked with a grimace, before shaking her head. "I'm sorry. That's...not a pleasant topic, is it? Not at meal time. I don't mean to be nosy. By all means, help yourself to the water. It's there to be enjoyed. Just drink slow. Let your body adjust."

Tags: