Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Song of the Sea [Juno]

Started by DragonSong, March 22, 2016, 04:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"The- the singing," Ash whispered. "When I touched the water...I heard singing," she exclaimed quietly, wonderingly.

Looking up at Yan, she murmured, "You really didn't hear that?"

Juno

He tilted his head at her for a moment before turning to stare out at the water. "Singing," he mused, "Well what kind of singing? All sorts of things sing." He chuckled, as if that should have been obvious to her despite knowing she'd owned to her own inexperience with the oceans.

DragonSong

"It sounded...human. But not," Ash said slowly, taking a hesitant step toward the water again. "I mean, it was like human voices, but without words. Just "ah" and "oh", and it was...ethereal."

A small smile curved her lips. "It was beautiful."

Juno

His eyes brightened in recognition, a mischievous smile lighting his face. "Well there's plenty of that. Lots of singing," he agreed, lifting his chin out at the water. "All kinds of...creatures."

DragonSong

"Really?" She looked up at him with wide eyes. "What kinds of creatures? Can you tell me more?"

She took another step forward and the water lapped at her toes. Ash sucked in a sharp breath as she heard the singing again, a little fainter this time, ebbing with the gentle swells licking at her skin.

Juno

Yan shrugged, a little oblivious about her excitement. "Oh, you know. Normal things," he began, gesturing out at the water. "Nymphs, selkies... Mermaids and sirens. I've heard a few kelpies, even. And then the animals like whales."

DragonSong

Ash just blinked at him in silence for a moment. Then she took another wary step closer so the surf lapped around her ankles.

The singing was still there, persistent and pulling, but she found if she concentrated she could either tune it out or bring it into sharper focus. "I know this song," she murmured. Which was ridiculous, because she'd never heard the tune before. But she could swear it was familiar!

Looking up at Yan, she asked excitedly, "Those creatures- selkies and mermaids and sirens...what are they, exactly?" She'd heard stories, like she had about his kind, but she had a feeling he'd be able to give her better information.

Juno

"What are they?" He cocked his head at that, uncertain what she meant by the question.

"They're what they are," he said plainly, smirking at the idea they might have been anything else. "Normal creatures, but I guess if you haven't spent time here you wouldn't know that?" He added gently, "Dragons are normal, too."

DragonSong

She snorted softly in disbelief at that. "Maybe to you. You are one. Where I'm from, dragons are definitely not the norm," she grumbled, taking another step out into the chill water. The hem of her nightgown was soaked now, swirling gently around her ankles.

Juno

He was not particularly bothered by the sight of her wet clothing. It didn't really strike him as anything that might make her particularly uncomfortable at some later point once she was at the mercy of the winds upon the bluff again. In his eyes clothing could merely be shed if it was more trouble than it was worth.

Yan took a moment to roll up the legs of his pants before wading out to follow her. Staying right at her side he looked out at the gentle waves, oblivious to the singing still that might have been audible if he'd been submerged. "Perhaps you don't look hard enough," he mused, smirking mischievously. "From my understanding we are not particularly rare. Perhaps just good at hiding, hm?"

DragonSong

Ash shook her head at him, lips quirking up on one side. "Perhaps," she conceded softly, wading out to her knees. She had the sense to lift her skirt this time, though the first few inches of the hem were already soaked through. She shivered slightly at the cold, but to be honest it was not nearly as uncomfortable as she might have expected.

Juno

Yan paused, unwilling to ruin his clothes by following her out as far as she seemed to want to go. He watched her curiously, wondering if she might have inadvertently been putting herself in some kind of danger.

"Do you swim? Be careful if you don't," he warned, amused at the idea of needing to save this human girl from the shallows for being too curious. "And don't freeze, either. Humans are...more delicate. At least compared to dragons. You break easily." He frowned slightly at that.

DragonSong

She huffed and turned around to face him, arms folded over her chest. "I'm not delicate," she protested with a slight frown.

Glancing down at the water, she admitted in a mutter, "I, um...I don't swim though." With a sigh Ash picked her way a little closer to shore.

Juno

The dragon chuckled at that, eyes twinkling with his amusement. She certainly had fire but it was interesting to him how easily it was tempered.

"Much better," he crooned, eyes sweeping her buffeted form and finally noticing the damp nightgown as she stepped a little bit closer again. "Wouldn't want you drowning. Or almost. It's really more trouble than it's worth." He waved a hand dismissively toward the open sea behind her.

Yan tilted his head, though, and smirked as he realized he might be able to offer her his help. "Maybe I could teach you. If you want to come back again some time."

DragonSong

"Really?" Her eyes snapped up to his face, bright with excitement. For a moment the singing only she seemed to hear seemed to grow louder.

Ash nodded quickly, taking another step toward him. "I- I'd really like that, Yan. Thank you."

Juno

He smirked proudly for her acceptance, definitely thinking she would be better off for it, what with her obvious fascination. "Good. No need to thank me until it's done, don't expect to learn in a day."

Yan pursed his lips in consideration, tilting his head from side to side before deciding, "Humans learn slow. It will probably take you some time. A few days, maybe." He shrugged, though, smiling brightly at the prospect of being useful to her in some way; she was a nice human by his judgment thus far and he liked her initiative. "That is not a challenge."

DragonSong

Ash frowned a bit, folding her arms again. "You really don't have a very high opinion of my kind, do you?" she noted archly. He seemed to find humans rather slow and dull, and she thought she should probably be offended on principal.

Juno

The dragon laughed at that, shaking his head. "No, it's not that. I think humans are fascinating actually. It was just an observation," he explained gently, seeing nothing wrong with his truthfulness. "It is just the way your kind has always seemed to me."

His eyes settled on her folded arms. "Many of you are also very feisty. Stubborn and opinionated. And sometimes brave. It's an interesting combination."

DragonSong

She chuckled slightly, shaking her head. "Feisty," she grumbled, wrinkling her nose. "You sound like my father. Says I have more spirit than is good for me."

Juno

"Spirit... But spirit is good to have," he decided. "Means you're motivated for something, yeah? Maybe even passionate? It's good to have that, too many people are boring. At least that makes you different in some way." He thought on that for a moment before flashing her a rather unaffected smile, not seeing anything wrong with his opinion.