Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Tale of Two Roses [Ruby Red]

Started by DrabberRogue, April 06, 2016, 07:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrabberRogue

Jace had never seen so many colors.

Well, hair colors anyways, he was so used to the red and blonde haired people of Connlaoth that it actually took him by surprise to see so many...exotic hues atop the heads of the Serenians he ran across, though no more so than when he finally arrived at his de facto destination, when he arrived at the capital. The young tactician had heard stories about the eclectic and colorful nation, about its freethinking and progressive culture; but he'd never expected anything so...wondrous as this. Of course he'd also heard those same sources of information describe the people of Serendipity as lazy and corrupt pawns of magic, but such was the nature of his people, their perplexing aversion to the arcane tainting the credibility of their criticisms in his mind.

To him, at least from what he'd witnessed so far, well...he hadn't seen anything so beautiful in his life. From the kaleidoscopic crowds of the city he now walked, to the masterfully designed (if a bit impractical) architecture of the city itself, to the breathtaking displays of magic that his life in Connlaoth had robbed him of for so long. He found himself merely wandering the streets for quite some time after he first arrived, his immense curiosity pulling him all over the city as he sought to witness and learn as much as he could, it was quite possibly the most fun he'd had in a long time. Despite all the tales he'd heard of Serendipity's open minded nature, he was actually a little surprised at how accepting they were of him. After all, he hailed from a land founded upon the hatred of magic, a land which had rather tense relations with Serendipity as a result. But oddly enough, none of that seemed to matter too much as he spent a good portion of his day trying to absorb as much as could about the city and its people.

It was towards the end of his rather exciting day that the childish wonder fueling him finally wore off a bit, and he finally settled down under a tree to watch the sun set. Sitting his head against the bark, watching the colorful assortment of people go by, he begun mulling over the things he'd seen that day. Thoughts led to more thoughts, more thoughts led to redundancy, redundancy led to...well...boredom, and boredom kept Jace Rose awake. Perhaps the most annoying part of his rather convenient intellect was how easy it was for him to become bored, but he figured that could be easily alleviated in this city. With a sigh, his eyes snapped back open (he wondered when they had closed, not quite remembering) and he began analyzing the bustling area around him with a bit of a calmer mindset, trying to find something (or someone) with which he could try to alleviate his boredom.

Ruby Red

Above, deep within the thick foliage hanging over him, Rose Ebonheart was fast at work with her own devices of exploration.

Wandering around the city in largely the same way, Rose, currently, was attempting to attain a better vantage point with which to view the city. Climbing a tree happened to be her first idea, and as fate would have it, that same tree happened to be the one Jace decided to sit against, far below. With each passing moment Rose ascended higher and higher, steadily gaining a foothold among treacherous branches. Her progress was careful, but still steady. Within several minutes' time, Rose crests the height of the buildings, and finally noticed that she can begin to survey the bustling kingdom below.

Alas, those scheming branches with which she kept her footing had other plans.

Rose's next foothold snaps beneath her, setting her off balance. With a wave of her arms she tries righting herself, but tips and teeters until she slips off the branches altogether, to thump against the branch below it. Rose bounces off of the branch she fell on to land on another, and another, and another... From the outside, the tree rustles of its own accord, and gives off small squeaks with each passing thump. Rose falls, bouncing along the branches, from several stories of height, her only blessing being those branches to halt her acceleration.

She emerges finally at the very bottom, whipped to a halt by her hood catching on the very last branch. Rose swings back and forth a few feet above and to the side of Jace with an expression of utter defeat and a mild "Uggghhhh..." Under her breath. The branches had claimed victory, all that was left for Rose to do was groan and sway in the breeze, highly disappointed that she was so close to getting all the way up to the top without error. Jace, so very close, seemed to have escaped her notice.

DrabberRogue

As Jace's icy blue gaze swept the crowds and buildings around him, watching the people mill by, admiring the architecture of the various shops and houses, and even using his ability to idly spectate on the various and amusingly complex social strategies of the merchants; he began to get the strangest feeling that perhaps the tree he sat against wasn't quite as trustworthy as he'd initially thought. As if to confirm his suspicion, a leaf fell upon his face as he turned it upward, getting the odd feeling that the tree had just bested someon-

His suspicions were interrupted, or perhaps reinforced, as the normal rustling of leaves in the wind was replaced with a far stranger series of noises. The whole tree above him seemed to rustle as the branches shook, and he thought he heard a faint thumping, accompanied by a light squeak each time. It seemed almost as if-

Almost as if his newest theory had been proved upon conception. In a flash of red and black, a girl fell out of the tree, almost right above him. Jace blinked a couple times in disbelief at the tree's newest fruit, taking a second to come to terms with what had just happened, before involuntarily snickering a bit. With a smile he tilted his head at the girl, who he had to admit had excellent taste in colors. "Are you...Okay?"

Ruby Red

"Hm??" Rose looks around, though unable to do more than swivel her head within her hung hood, "Oh... Erm.... Hi..." Her face flushes with red upon noticing Jace. Hanging in such a way after a very 'graceful' fall, not quite the best of entrances. Rose didn't think anyone was nearby, and that she would have to worry about the bane of her existence - being sociable.

"...I'm ok, I guess... To answer yo-" The branch snaps loudly, letting her fall with a final thump-squeak onto the grass, sprawled on her back. Rose pushes herself into a sitting position, groans, and rubs her head through the cloth of her hood. "...still ok.... I think... Probably... Were you watching me the whole time or like, did you just see that last bit...?" Rose looks inquisitively to Jace, wondering how long he'd been paying attention. She was hoping that he had only notice the end of her cascading failure, or had seen her climb so well before falling so terribly.

DrabberRogue

Jace winced a little in sympathy as the crack of snapping wood filled his ears, the merciless tree unceremoniously dumping the girl to the ground, that couldn't have felt good. But she pushed herself up rather quickly, and that amused smile was back on his face by the time she turned her eyes to him, albeit accompanied by a mild crease in his brow. "Well...I only saw that last bit..." He began, the light of the sunset reflecting off his eyes and coloring them with an orange gleam. "But I must say your fall was quite loud." A rogue little leaf drifted from above onto his shoulder as he spoke, silently slipping past the tactician's notice as his amusement turned to curiosity. "You must've fallen quite a way...What were you doing up there?" He continued seamlessly from response to question, casting his own inquisitive gaze to the treeborne girl.

Ruby Red

Rose only blushes thicker once he confirms her fears: He had, in fact, noted all of her embarrassing failure. "Uhhhh well I was trying a new technique of climbing trees where you uh... Break the branches on the way up so that you can... Not fall down... And then a big spider...." Rose pauses, finally looking up into his eyes and seeing that it obviously wasn't working. She glances back down in the moment, to twiddle her thumbs within her total embarrassment. With a low voice, as if caught stealing sweets before dinner, she continues, "...yes, I totally just fell out of a tree for no good reason... Buuuuuut-" Her gaze pops back up, with an air of triumph upon realizing one detail of her ascent. Strands of her crimson-tipped hair dance back over her now enthusiastic silver eyes. "-I did get to see the sunset over the city!" But at the end of this, she mutters under her breath a fading additive as she looks back down at her hands, "...on the way down..."

DrabberRogue

One of Jace's golden eyebrows slowly rose up his forehead as the girl awkwardly weaved the story of her 'new technique', his amusement only growing as she tried to tie it all together. He got the strangest feeling she wasn't very experienced with lying. However, it fell back down into place once she'd abandoned the little fib, and he found himself chuckling a little as she jumped from embarrassment to enthusiasm and back again. "Well...I'd say that's certainly worth it..." He said in response, turning his head to look at the orange sky above the city's buildings, a light breeze blowing that little leaf off his shoulder and at the girl as he did so. He remained like this for a few seconds, admiring the sky, before he spoke again. "Hmm...You know..." The young man's eyes flicked back to her as he came to a realization, his head barely moving to accommodate them. "I don't believe I've caught your name..."

Ruby Red

Rose shifts to sit with her legs in front of her as she looks off towards the beautiful skyline, just barely obscured by the urban setting nearby. She retrieves a small silver box, the size of a small purse, from under her cloak. Through the part, she places it on her lap, unlatches the container, and fishes around inside with the sounds of light rustling as she searches for just the right thing. Rose's attention drifts as she does so, returning again to Jace himself. She freezes upon finding him watching her, waiting for an answer, "Oh, right... It's Rose." Again, her attention couldn't be so easily kept as the sky gave a symphony of mellow artistry above... and subsequently, dragged her back into staring up with a mild cheerfulness towards it, once she forgot about falling out of a tree.

DrabberRogue

'Rose? Her name is...Rose?'

Jace Rose stared incredulously at the girl as she went back to watching the sky, completely caught off guard by her introduction. Not that Rose was an uncommon first name, quite the opposite actually, it's just that he'd never met anyone actually named Rose. The thought that someone's first name could align with his last was something he'd never really considered, and to think this completely random girl who fell out of a tree next to him would be such a person was just so farfetched. It was like a situation straight out of a fairy tale.

So he just kind of sat there and stared at her for at least a good twenty seconds, not quite sure what to say. He opened his mouth, took in breath as if he was about to speak and...No words came, so his brain looked for something to fill the gap. The first thing that came to his mind was the first thing out of his mouth, and since he was already looking at her...

"Rose...You have...Silver eyes..."

Ruby Red

Rose, attention drifting back to the blankness known as Jace, frowns and gives a slight "Um..." In response. She didn't know how to react to his sudden silence and shaky demeanor. It started to invade her mind that it was something that she did, that she somehow inadvertently made things awkward.

So, in the spirit of those socially awkward, Rose blankly stares right back with such silvered eyes. Her gloved hands, however, fish out a single chocolate-chip cookie from her box, which she then calmly brings up to her mouth and takes a slow bite of, still not breaking eye contact. It was as if she was in the same headlights he was, yet her love of sweets still prevailed subconsciously over her current state.

DrabberRogue

Silver eyes now stared back at the young man, and as the girl he now knew to be Rose slowly took a bite out of her cookie, Jace's self awareness finally started to return. With his self awareness came the realization that he was in fact staring into the rather pretty eyes of a girl, the significance of which did not escape him. Upon realizing this, his pale cheeks became lightly tinted with pink as he impulsively broke eye contact, his crystal blue eyes darting off to the side. "E-Erm...Anyways..." He took a deep breath, closing his eyes for a bit as he regained his composure, before they snapped back open and returned to Rose. "I suppose I should introduce myself as well. My name is Jace, it's a pleasure to meet you." He finally said with a smile, the short lived blush banished from his cheeks. He intentionally decided not to tell her his last name, didn't want to make their situation anymore awkward than it already was.

Ruby Red

"Hi Jace~" She cheerfully says with a mouth full of chocolate-chip, finding herself much more confident when he was. Rose waves her cookie to add to her greeting, then realizes she has a lot of cookies, and that he might want some too. After digging around again in her little box of goodies, the rustling of various objects inside permeating the air, her hand emerges again with another, just like the one she was nibbling on. "I have more if you want any, I don't know if you want any...

DrabberRogue

Jace tilted his head at the girl as she rummaged through her silver box, wondering if there was anything other than cookies in there. It occurred to him as he did so that he was still smiling, despite the fact he wasn't paying much mind to his own expression, it was just there of its own accord. Something about this Rose was oddly disarming, something that probably had to do with her cookies, but it made her quite...charming?...despite her awkward demeanor. Or maybe it was just that she was friendly, in an innocent way.

The offering of another cookie being waved in his face interrupted his contemplation, almost accentuating his thoughts about her. "I don't see why not." He responded, bringing up his own hand in anticipation of receiving the cookie. He wasn't quite certain what it was about her, but it certainly made the girl entertaining to talk to.

Ruby Red

Rose happily plops the cookie into his open palm and returns to sitting peacefully and nibbling away at her own. It didn't seem to occur to her that she should keep the conversation going in some way, instead, she quietly site adjacent to him and, in time, completely devours her cookie. Rose then fishes around for a third, and begins merrily biting into it next. Her eyes shift between the fading sunlight and her new companion across the grass next to her, still silent.

DrabberRogue

Well, not so much 'talk to' as 'interact with', she didn't really seem to speak unless spoken to. So rather than speak, he slowly munched on his own cookie, savoring the taste. He let this little silence continue on a little longer, turning his eyes away from Rose to let her nibble in peace for the moment, and took the time to admire the view of the city's skyline. It wasn't until he was a good halfway through his cookie when he realized that the girl next to him seemed to be waiting, her eyes on him for a moment before shifting back to the view. With another bite into his cookie, Jace's focus returned to her, intent on reviving the conversation. "So...You don't really seem like the city type..." He started, making idle observation on her apparel and mannerisms. "Where're you from?"

Ruby Red

"Oh, yeah, no. I've always lived out in the countryside to theeeee..." She taps her chin, glancing up and to the right, thinking, "southwest? Yeah, Ravensway. Lots of forest and stuff so not a lot of people around..." She takes a final bite of her cookie, finishing it off, then continues speaking with her mouth full. "Aww you like, a cwity persom fwom here? I hamn't med mamy peoble, weally just Faewis..."

DrabberRogue

"Ah...No, not really." Jace laughed a little as he spoke, the sound of her cookie-muffled voice amusing him quite a bit. "I suppose you could say I'm a city person, but I'm actually from quite a bit north of here..." He paused for a bit, taking a contemplative bite from his cookie as the orange sky slowly began its transition into the light purple of twilight, the orange gleam in his eye fading with the light of the sun. "...Are you familiar with Connlaoth?"

Ruby Red

"Mo-" She swallows, finally realizing how she must sound. Talking with her mouth full was something she wasn't supposed to do, it was rude, as her parents told her. Rose then brushes off her lips. "-Mm, sorry..."

"...I don't think I've heard I've Connlaoth yet. Is it really nice in Connlaoth too?

DrabberRogue

"Hmm..." Was it 'nice' in Connlaoth? Jace turned his head away from her, leaning his head back against the tree with a sigh. "I guess...Though I'd say I prefer this place more at the moment..." He didn't really want to go into detail about his homeland, there were so many things that continually bothered him about it, so rather than continuing he just went back to finishing his cookie. He remained silent even after the last of the delectable treat disappeared into his mouth, that one last bite seeming to usher forth a light breeze to emphasize his own point to himself. 'Even the weather is better here...'

Ruby Red

Rose nods subtly, though she didn't understand if he meant it was or wasn't nice in Connlaoth. Again, the conversation shifts back to awkward silence. She wasn't sure how to continue or respond, so instead, Rose just sat there, blankly looking at Jace as if waiting for him to continue. Two socially awkward individuals together created such a situation: Rose and Jace, blankly looking to one another below a tree within the most vibrant of urban backgrounds. The eternal irony was plain to anyone paying them mind.