Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Tale of Two Roses [Ruby Red]

Started by DrabberRogue, April 06, 2016, 07:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrabberRogue

Jace blinked a couple times as he noticed the silence persist a little too long, their conversation grinding to a halt yet again. For the second time his own faltering had led to an unnecessarily awkward moment, though he wasn't sure what he'd been expecting, it's not like he'd left the girl anything to respond to. It was kind of funny actually, here he was idly chatting with a socially awkward girl and he was the one having communication issues. He couldn't help but start chuckling at himself, his vocalized amusement abruptly breaking the quiet between them. "Aha...Sorry..." The young man went on snickering for a good few seconds before clearing his throat, making a fair bit of effort to regain his composure. "To actually answer your question, it...Has its pros and cons, but I'd say it's pretty nice. Just..." He cast his crystal blue gaze over the area around them, admiring the colorful culture of the city. "...Well, its flaws are very...Pronounced."

Ruby Red

Rose actually thinks of something interesting in the silence just before he breaks it again, something that could be quite fun. Though she didn't know if he truly had it in him, the idea rooted in fairly well.

Rose's eyes lose their glossy sheen once he catches her conscious attention and brings her away from that thought, "Oh... Well... That's good... I think...." Her head tilts slightly to the side as she tries placing his response into good or bad. It seemed fairly neutral overall. Rose's gaze shifts to where Jace was looking, to the literal meaning found in hair colors and such around them. "...so it's not as colorful or something?"

DrabberRogue

"Actually yes, quite literally." He responded, turning his head a little so he could bring his eyes back over to Rose. "Though...That's not really what I meant by 'flaws'..." Jace fell silent again with that, internally debating whether or not to elaborate further. He didn't really want to risk spoiling the girl's view of him by telling her the darker side of where he was from, he wasn't too certain how she'd react to him coming from a land that hates magic, especially considering the likelihood of her being a magic user. On the other hand though, she was Serenian, and likely to have a fairly open minded response...

Jace turned his head fully to her this time, having decided there wasn't much point to concealing something so well known anyways. "Well...One of the reasons it's not as colorful is because..." He still hesitated, it felt so incredibly awkward to say such a thing to a Serenian. "There's no magic."

Ruby Red

"...Why?" She immediately asks, curiously peering back at him. Magic was something that she'd grown up with, it seemed strange that an entire kingdom wouldn't have any. "...Doesn't everyone have a little magic...?" She pauses, thinking.

Rose disappears from view a moment later, reappearing instantly quite literally with her chin hanging over his shoulder, only a flutter of scattered rose petals to mark her path and previous position. It had only been a heartbeat from the time she was sitting in front of him to the time she said "Boo~!" Over his shoulder. Rose was showing off.

DrabberRogue

Jace had opened his mouth, about to answer her, but didn't quite get anything out before the girl's face was suddenly right next to his. He reflexively jumped at her spontaneous repositioning, more out of surprise from the voice in his ear than anything else. "What the-...?!" It didn't take to long for him to realize what happened, and his surprise quickly turned to a sort of childish delight, having still not quite gotten used to the sight of magic. "Interesting..." His voice came out in an amused cadence as he reached down beside him to pluck a rose petal from the grass, bringing it up to eye level as he subtly leaned back against the Rose now behind him. "Is this why you're named Rose?" He asked, having effectively dropped the subject of Connlaoth as the girl's ability caught his fascination.

Ruby Red

"Maybe, probably... I mean, it would be kinda hard to predict that right?" She looks away, thinking of how logic worked. "I'd have to be able to move around to be able to move around, so I was probably named before it and it just came out that way or something." Rose shrugs, "Mmnm, maybe? My dad says it's because mom loves roses, but my mom says that it's because my dad loves roses, so I guess they just both love roses because they both say the other loves roses, and I like roses too because, well, that's my name and all and roses smell really good and are really red and I like red too, so I guess everyone loves red too..."

Rose blinks, takes a breath, and looks over to Jace again. Her face reddens slightly. "...I'm... talking too much again..."

DrabberRogue

"Not at all, I'd say you don't talk enough." He said with a laugh, letting the breeze blow that rose petal out of his hand. "Come to think of it, I happen to like roses quite a bit myself. In fact-" He cut himself off, he'd been about to tell her his last name, but still didn't quite want to go down the awkward path of introducing himself as Rose to Rose. Instead he turned his head a bit so he could regard the girl over his shoulder, his icy blue eyes meeting hers. "So that's the magic you were born with? Speed and rose petals?" He asked inquisitively, abruptly dropping his initial line of thought to pursue the point of his curiosity instead.

Ruby Red

"I can heal stuff too, like glowy hands and stuff. It actually feel really nice... But what were you gonna say?" Rose pauses, "Also, I talk waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much so it's not like you're fooling anyone there mister-" she playfully punches his shoulder. The weight of her punch isn't even enough to nudge Jace a little - she certainly was built for speed, not strength.

DrabberRogue

A slight chuckle sounded from Jace as he felt the slight weight of the girl's fist, its playful intent a little infective. He didn't initially say anything in response though, instead reaching down to pluck another rose petal from the grass and holding it up in front of Rose's face. "Well...I was about to tell you my last name..." He responded to her question in a somewhat more measured tone than usual, still debating whether or not to actually tell her. As he thought though, he had a mildly amusing idea. "Hey Rose, how about we play a little guessing game?" Jace turned to grin over his shoulder at her. "Sounds a bit more fun than me outright telling you, don't you think?"

Ruby Red

"Uggggghhhhh but I'm terrible at guessing things..." She groans, then narrows her eyes at him after a moment of pouting. She then looks him up and down with the intensity of someone looking for clues. Rose wasn't as dumb as many might believe, in fact, she could prove quite intelligent in the necessary situations. Remembering how he had paused after she told him her own name, and his interest in the petals she created, one of which he had just held so close to her sight, she decided upon her first guess with the excitement of someone who believed herself correct even before speaking;

"Flowey!" She blurts out.

DrabberRogue

At first, Jace didn't quite know what to say. With how intensely she'd analyzed him, and with how many not-so-intentional clues he'd dropped, he'd figured the girl would get it on her first try. He was so certain in fact that it caught him off guard that she'd been so close, yet so amazingly incorrect. After a few seconds of staring incredulously at her, Jace abruptly flicked the petal into Rose's face, an amused glint shining in his blue eyes. "Not quite..." He said as he scooted away from her, rotating his position to face her. He'd gotten a little tired of having to turn around to talk to her. "Buuut...You're on the right track..." The young man propped one of his knees up in front of him, setting his hands upon it and resting his head upon them as he cast his gaze to Rose. "Ms. Silver Eyes~"

Ruby Red

Rose folds her arms across her chest, the bulge created parting her crimson cloak enough so that her full attire is visible for the first time. Her unique flavor of red-black clothing, fluffed skirt and all, shown further her affinity for all things red. She grumbles slightly at finding her answer wrong, but tries once more with an accusing look to Jace, "...do we have the same name...?"

DrabberRogue

A crooked smile worked its way onto Jace's features as she caught on, showing an amusement one can only get from watching their own puzzle be solved before their eyes. He slowly raised his head from its position, lifting one of his hands off his knee and extending it towards Rose with intent of a handshake. "Allow me to formally introduce myself..."

"Rose, Jace Rose."

Ruby Red

"Ohhhhh sooooooo like... your last name is my first name... Hm, that'd be weird if it was my last name too. 'Rose Rose' would be so confusing, ha..." She grins at the thought, then remembers he meant for a handshake. Rose quickly clasps her tiny gloved hand into his so as to complete the gesture.

DrabberRogue

Jace had always been taught that the handshake was one of the most important aspects of one's introduction, a method of conveying confidence and strength of character that words alone could not. Now the young man had never been one for adhering to the norm, and the only reason he paid any mind at all to formality was due to his upbringing. However, it couldn't be denied that he liked how most people responded to a good handshake, the almost arbitrarily given respect that came from a well executed introduction. As a result he'd gotten rather adept at the art of the handshake, the confidence conveying firmness having become almost muscle memory.

It was that muscle memory which came into play as Jace shook hands with Rose, giving her a handshake firm enough to convey a sense of confidence, yet not too firm as to avoid being painful. The reflex even spread to the rest of his body, his crystal blue eyes seeking out hers, and his posture straightening out into some semblance of formality. "Haha, indeed it would." His head tilted a little bit mid sentence, a feeling of asymmetry gnawing at the back of his mind. "Speaking of which, now you know my last name..."

Ruby Red

"Oh, yes, um, it's Ebonheart. And my first name's Rose, like you know, because I said it and we have the same name and all... And uhhhh...." She pauses, trying to remember what they were talking about before her mouth got in the way, and his lively eyes swept over hers. Clearly she was nervous with the eye contact, enough to quickly look away as soon as it nears. Rose takes her hand away after another moment."-Held on a bit long, sorry... But what were we talking about...?" She asks, already forgetting what they were doing.

DrabberRogue

Jace's hand sort of just hung there after she pulled hers away, accenting the renewed atmosphere of awkwardness. The girl had managed to accomplish an almost textbook definition of what not to do during a handshake, and Jace got the strangest feeling it was his fault. He remained like that for a few seconds before pulling his hand back to a more natural position, letting out a very audible sigh as he did so. "Well...As I recall we were introducing ourselves, Rose Ebonheart." Jace injected a bit of fancy flourish to his voice as he spoke Rose's name, taking a liking to the sound of it. He found it quite interesting that so many things about her seemed tied so perfectly together. From her apparent taste in color, to her actual hair color, to her name, to her liking roses, to even one of her abilities leaving behind rose petals when she used it. The girl was a fascinating little bundle of symbolism from head to toe.

More pressing however, was the awkward state that had fallen once more on their interaction, and so it was that Jace attempted to maneuver his face into the general area that the girl's eyes had darted off to. This resulted in him having to lean at a rather uncomfortable angle, propping himself up with an arm as he sought out Rose's silver eyes. "I take it you haven't had too many handshakes?"

Ruby Red

"Well... my dad always said that people do handshakes all the time when they're doing important stuff and introducing themselves and stuff, buuuuuut I haven't really met a whole lot of people and stuff soooooo that was like my first handshake because the other ones don't count because it's not like my dad doesn't know who I am..." She rubs her arm, furthering the awkwardness. An idea from several minutes past takes root again, spreading into a small smile as she changes the subject. Clearly, the thought excited her. "Soooooo do people in Connlaoth do a lot offffff ummmmmm...... Dueling...?" Rose's demeanor seems much more bubbly on that remark. The chance to show off and impress someone was thrilling to her, the thought that maybe he would like her more if she was skilled in things she thought others considered cool, like fighting. She desperately sought peer-approval at heart, and showing off what skills she knew sounded like a good place to start.

DrabberRogue

The young man's eyebrows shot up on his forehead in surprise. Dueling? That certainly wasn't something he'd expected to come out of the girl's mouth, especially considering her small stature. Then again, he wasn't really one to talk, seeing as her apparent physical shape wasn't too far removed from his. Others back home in Connlaoth had never really expected someone like him to even be half decent with that 'toothpick' of his, and they certainly never expected him to get as good as he did.

"Hmm...I'd say they place a bit more emphasis on training for war rather than dueling." Jace responded after quickly getting over his surprise, straightening himself back into his initial sitting position as he spoke. He then tilted his head a little to regard Rose with his piercing blue eyes, what little light was still left in the sky giving them an inquisitive gleam. "Although, I suppose any kind of combat training can be applied in a duel...Why do you ask?"

Ruby Red

"Maybe we could do a little of that...?" She asks, once again rubbing her arm from nervousness and looking away. The simple question was all Rose wished to ask.