Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fear of the Dark [M]

Started by Lion, April 29, 2016, 12:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"Just tell me what you know," Decebal said and gestured for her to sit.  "Tell me about Lorian.  How did you meet?  How did he trick you into compliance?  And how you managed to evade him this long.  And if there's something you want or need, I'll do my best to see that you get it."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

"I- I don't really know anything," Gwen protested. She hesitantly sat on the edge of the bed.

Still, she tried to start with the easiest question first. "I've been able to keep away from him because I'm always moving." She shrugged. "Obviously I spent too long here. Usually I'm never in one place for more than two or three days at a time."

Lion

Decebal moved over and reached into his belt.  "Good thinking.  Although maybe a change of plans is in order.  We should back track, go where you were before and see where he's looking," he suggested.  Decebal found what he was looking for and offered her a pendant with a small onyx orb caged in a spiral.

"This is a seer's pendant.  It allows long distance communication between those that wear its sistered pair.  Not that I've given you much of a reason to trust me, but it will allow us to talk if separated."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

"Uh huh." Gwen eyed him warily, then the pendant. Very cautiously, she reached out and took it. "I definitely don't trust you," she told him with an arched eyebrow, but nevertheless she tucked it into her pocket.

She huffed a breath and shook her head. "I'm not going back. What if he's closed in on my trail? If you found me he certainly could." A little shudder ran through her even at the idea.

Lion

"That did cross my mind."  He was quiet for a moment, thinking.  "What do you think Lorian will do if he finds you again?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She threw her hands up. "Torture me? Kill me? Put me back under his thrall? Some combination therein? I don't know, take your pick."

She sort of collapsed in on herself, shoulders hunching with a sharp sigh. "Look. I want him dead too. But..." Gwen bit her lip, eyes going sort of distant, fearful. "You can't kill him. He's too powerful."

Lion

Decebal shook his head.

"Everything dies.  Even supposed powerful vampires like Lorian Croft," he argued.  "I'm sure he just hasn't met anyone willing enough to get the job done.  I've faced pretty terrifying things.  He's just another in a long list."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Well, good for you." Gwen huffed and sat down on the edge of the bed with a scowl. "But I haven't- and I'd really like to continue that streak, thanks very much."

Her eyes flicked around him to the door, then over to the window. Maybe... "Look, I think I've done all I can for you. I'm not sure how much help I could really be hunting Lorian."

Lion

"You're right," Decebal agreed and his eyes met hers.  He had an inkling of what she was thinking but he said nothing of it.  She wouldn't get far, wherever she was going.  "I'm going to get my horse, I'll return in about a half hour.  I know I don't need to watch you...right?"

He gave a smirk and bowed his head before exiting her room, and closing the door gently behind him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Gwen scowled. Why did she suddenly get the feeling running was pointless? "Yeah. Right," she grumbled, and folded her arms over her chest with a huff.

Lion

[She should totally try to run anyway! 8D Because then Lorian can send some cronies or whatever out to get her.]

Decebal left the room quietly and moved across the village to the other tavern he had wandered in and had left his horse behind.

He didn't think Gwen would stay put, but he had some hope that she might.  After all, he didn't leave her with the seer's stone for nothing.  It was a harmless device, but if she did run, he'd be able to find her afterward.  That was his little secret to keep.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

[Totally read my mind ^^]

Gwen waited about a minute and a half after Decebal left before she started to move. She gathered up her things, at least what she could throw quickly into her pack, and moved to the window.

Maybe scrubbing was pointless, but it just wasn't in her to sit around and wait. She couldn't face Lorian again- she just couldn't do it.

Quiet as a shadow, she dropped from the window and landed in a crouch. Though the rain still dulled her sense of smell somewhat, she was familiar enough with Decebal's scent at this point that she knew he wasn't close.

She could do this. She could get away. Turning on her heel, she started running. She didn't even care where she was going at this point, as long as it was away from here.

Lion

"Fuck!" he hissed when he came back to the room and found Gwen long gone.  He knew he was right not to trust that little rat!  But all was not lost, not yet anyway.  He didn't know if it was wise to take his horse just  yet.  Maybe she didn't get that far.

It was a chance he had to take.  After the previous chance fell through.

He grabbed his pack and bolted out the door, following the light left by his own seer's stone.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Oh what she wouldn't give for some trees. Some nice, concealing trees. The moors of the highland were pretty enough, but they offered no cover for her to hide as she ran.

Which meant she just had to be fast. Faster than the man hunting her. Or, well, faster than his horse. Which shouldn't be too difficult, all things considered. She just had to outrun him for a while, long enough to disappear again.

Gods. It seemed that all she did now was run, from one thing or another.

Lion

Yes it did seem so.  Because few things truly were as they seemed.  In this however she was absolutely right. As she ran, something...or many somethings shadowed her and stirred at passing movement.  And they were a lot closer than Decebal was.

She'd gotten a decent headstart and had left him a ways behind.

Things moved quickly from behind rocks and just beneath the highland moors a patch of trees would provide refuge or entrap her, or both, depending on how swift she moved.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Gwen reached the trees in record time where she stopped, panting, and tried to take stock. That man didn't seem to be in her tail, which was the first bit of good news she'd had in a long time. Her shoulders slumped and she sagged back against a tree trunk.

"Why in such a hurry?"

Ice ran down her spine. She snapped away from the tree, eyes flicking about wildly as her lips pulled back in a snarl and she scented the air. Damn, damn, damn the rain! How could she not have noticed before.

A shadow seemed to detach itself from the gloom and move toward her, smirking. "Hi, Gwen. Been a while."

Lion

"Where you off to?" the shadow asked before appearing further in moonlight.  "Maybe we're headed the same way.  Let me walk with  you."

He was pale and had life clinging desperately to straws.  But he was a fairly handsome man, the lines of age only now seeming to show in the creases of his mouth and brow.  And his tone didn't seem like it was going to stay nice for long.

It clear from movement behind him that he didn't come alone.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Gwen backed away slowly. "Um, how about no."

Without another word, she turned and tried to dash back out onto the moors. If she ran into the man with the whip, fine. Anything was better than this.

Lion

He moved in a blur and snatched a clawed hand onto her arm.

"You're going back to Lorian," he hissed.  "He said not to rough you up too much, but I could get handsy if I needed to!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"No!" She tried to jerk her arm away but his grip was too strong. Snarling, Gwen lashed her hand out to smack across his face, nails raking into his skin.

"The only way I'm going back there is in a pine box, so you can just back the fuck off!"

Tags: