Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Out of the Woods

Started by DragonSong, June 07, 2016, 06:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Dusk put a hand over her mouth to stifle a giggle. Without thinking, she chuckled, "Don't you ever wish you could live the way they do though?"

A blush suddenly covered her cheeks and she added quickly, "N-not that necessarily, but- y'know, not c-c-caring what people th-think. Just...living."

Lion

Her words made Ki'adan fall silent.  To think a stranger in a forest might utter something he'd been pondering his whole life.  And why couldn't they - people - simply live without the need for petty politics to stir the pot between them, as if life wasn't already hard enough as it was.

"You've got a point," he found himself saying, trying to play casual and smile.   "Life would be a lot simpler.  Just survive.  No need to live a world confined by invisible lines and invisible laws."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

"Mhm." Dusk twisted to smile at him shyly, then sighed almost wistfully, "It'd be n-nice."

Then she sort of shook herself and cleared her throat. "So. Ahem. Wh-what are you doing out here in the w-w-w- forest anyway." Her stutter made her wince and glare at her hands.

Lion

"Other than bathing and being caught between a rock and a wet place?" he asked, grinning.

It was a stupid joke, and he shook his head from it.  "I was just taking a respite.  I know a short cut to Ketra, and I was hoping following the stream would remind me where it was."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

She went scarlet at the reminder, ducking her head and murmuring apologies. Then she blinked and looked back at him. "You mean...you don't actually know where your shortcut is?"

Was he lost?

Lion

"I know where it is," Ki'adan said, perhaps a bit too defensively.  He laughed it off however.  "It's not quite so obvious.  The path is probably really overgrown by now. But I can spot it.  In fact, we're not far from it."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"O-oh." Dusk craned her neck to look back at him again. "You come this w-way often then?"

Lion

"Often enough to know where it is," Ki'adan explained.  "But I wouldn't mind sharing the path with another."  He smiled at Dusk.  "See here."  It was then that he dismounted from Starhunter's back and pulled the horse along, showing her a special stone that was quite different than the others.

"This is duskstone.  A blacker rock that spawns from the heat in the Moraki desert.  I placed it here. Few people know it doesn't belong, but it marks the beginning of a cut away that goes east all the way to Ketra."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Oh." Dusk leaned a little over Starhunter's side to peer at the rock. "I see. Like a trail of breadcrumbs- only more p-permanent." She smiled and nodded, a little impressed with the forethought. "D-do you have lots of paths marked l-l-like this?"

Lion

"Only a few," he said with a small smile.
"I travel quite a lot, and it helps to mark the best routes doesn't it?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Yes, that m-makes sense." She smiled and settled back into the saddle. "You seem very well p-p-p-practiced in this, M-Mister Ki'adan."

Lion

"If my name is too long, Ki will do," he said.

"Is your...speech pattern common with speaking to people?" he asked.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Dusk went very red and ducked her head in an effort to hide the blush. "M-m-mostly it h-happens worse wh-when I get n-n-n-nervous," she muttered- but of course being asked about it only made her stutter more. Damnit.

Lion

"Oh, my apologies," Ki'adan murmured.  He gave her a kind smile. Bowing his head he took Starhunter by the reins and walked along through the narrow overgrown path.

"So what do you do for fun, Lady Dusk?" he asked casually.  "Do you have any interests?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"I'm n-no lady," Dusk protested quietly. She thought about dismounting to walk with him, then decided if that was what he'd intended he would have told her to do so.

"I...like to garden," she murmured after a moment. "I know it's not t-terribly interesting, but I enjoy it." Her head tilted slightly at him. "And y-y-you?"

Lion

"Well, I...enjoy horses," he said, clearing his throat.  "I mean I take care of them.  Well, took.  I take care of Starhunter now.  But I did where I come from."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She smiled softly. "That sounds nice," she murmured, leaning forward along Starhunter's neck to stroke his coat gently. "I used to train animals, b-back in La'marri. Mostly dogs and hunting birds, I n-never got to work with horses as much as I'd like."

She tilted her head at him. "Why did you leave?"

Lion

He was quiet.  There wasn't much he could saw, but she was a complete stranger, so what could it hurt.  And yet, that part of him wanted to remain reserved.  No one needed to know, it was better that they didn't. 

"I...suppose the world just got too small," he muttered.  "Don't you ever feel that way?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Dusk nodded slowly. "Yeah," she murmured. "That's s-sort of why I'm out here too..."

Her voice trailed off into a contemplative sort of silence.

Lion

For now Ki'adan was content to travel the path in silence and trying not to seem more awkward than he felt.  Well, the truth he was rather comfortable with this stranger, as odd as she was with her hair and demeanor.  He didn't want to make himself seem overbearing however.  So he just led Starhunter by the reins on the overgrown path.

The horse however looked back at Dusk when he had a chance, and whinnied a thought to her, "I Spy with little eye....  Something dark-skinned, and gimpy, and pulling my reins."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: