Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hazardous Portraiture

Started by Whim, June 16, 2016, 12:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

Life in Kishahn had its ups and downs. Eternal youth was easier amongst kids, where the boy was not so easily dismissed and pushed around. But Zyra's Haven was not quite a paradise; surviving the jungle was hard work. Ewan spent the morning picking fruit with three others. His knees were scraped and his arms were tired from shimmying up and down trees. The boy had just loosened a bunch of papayas, casting them to the forest floor, when he caught a glimpse of 'something' moving in the underbrush.

Ewan froze and hoped whatever it was didn't look up. His tanned skin might have proved effective camouflage against the tree bark, but the Children of Zyra insisted he be painted all manner of colors indicating gods-knew-what about his station, status, and perceived destiny. Being a sorcerer meant there had to be a bone through his nose, which was annoying and hurt like the hells.

From his perch Ewan make out a vaguely Avian shape in the brush and blinked. Judging by the gorgeous plumage it was a peacock, albeit one wearing clothes. Eager for a closer look, the boy crept along the bough of the tree. Not paying attention, the branch gave out under his weight and sent him tumbling to the forest floor with curse, "Ow! Agh! Damnit!" he groaned softly.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Ice

The day was rather quiet and relaxing for the traveler who was moving threw the jungle. He was on the search for something amazing and wonderful to Draw . As an artist he was always striving for excellence and perfection in his work. He knew his are held greater value that way.

As he moved he smiled to himself. His happy persona was out at the moment . That was the odd thing about this strange peafowl.. he had a persona for every emotion. Though that did get him strange looks and made going in to towns very tricky. After all one might want to loch him up and claim that he was completely insane or something. Pension for not think that he was insane though. He just knew that he was odd and different in the eyes of others. Though to him they were the strange ones.

As he moved he felt the feeling of being watched. He stopped and glance around. His instincts told him that he was not alone. As he paused he heard the snap of a tree branch. Then a boy came down from a tree with a thud. He wondered if he was alright.

"Are you alright?" He as in soft accent. The accent could be something like a French mixed with German accent. He then held out his hand in case the boy needed help getting up. After all he did not want to seem rude or anything like that.

Whim

Ewan yelped in fright and scampered back at the looming shape. He raised his hands defensively then dropped them; the soft-spoken peacock was just offering a hand. The boy took it and rose to his feet, rubbing his bottom. "I'm fine, thanks. Didn't fall too far."

Ewan couldn't help but stare. He hadn't seen a sapient bird before. The peafowl really wasn't much bigger than the boy at all. He'd have pegged the bird a Kishani native but for the cultured accent and fine clothes.

"The jungle primeval's a bit of an odd place to be wandering alone," the boy cracked an uneasy smile. "I've not seen a soul out here in months." And that was true. He was eager for a bit of conversation; the children of the village preferred mud wrestling.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Ice

Pension could understand the boys initial fear . After all he was not a normal creature to be seen. He helped the boy up and smiled. He was always glad to help others." I am glad that you are okay." He said softly. He saw that the boy was starting but he was used to that. After all he was a sight to see.

He then skilled as he heard what the boy said to him next. Indeed one might find a lot of things he did that were strange. " Well most don't like to be around those like me. I am what you could call different. " He said softly to the boy. He was not to keen to share his problem just yet. Though if asked he might consider it. After all he was not in danger right now.

Whim

"Different how? Are you a were-bird?" a playful smile crossed his face, but it soon faded. There was an undeniable melancholy about the peafowl that made him feel bad for the teasing.

The boy straightened his posture and stuck out a hand. "I suppose we'd ought to be introduced. My name's Ewan. I'm a sorcerer you see, from the Haven," he added proudly and jerked a thumb in the village's direction. Of course he looked more like a grubby, feral child than a sorcerer. "So what's got you wandering Kishahn alone? Its dangerous business."

It was hard to hide his curiosity about the strange, rude as it might have been.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension smiled when he heard the boy playful comment. He took a breath and looked to the boy with a smile. "  I have alot of personas. I don't know why but some of them aren't very kind to others. . " He said softly . He knew that most would think that he was crazy . However that was just their opinion to him.

He then heard the boy speaking again. " I am pension. I travel everywhere looking for thing to draw. I am an artist you see.". He said softly . "So you say you are a sorcerer" he asked. " Aren't you abit young?" He was just as curious about the boy as he was about him.

Whim

"Its good to meet you Pension," Ewan smiled but cocked an eye at the peafowl's cryptic remark. The boy decided not to push him on it; the bird seemed gentle enough. "He continued with a sheepish grin, "It's a spell meant to give eternal youth. I used to be much older. After that, a spirit called Zyra lead me to Kishahn. There's a whole tribe of children down here looking to stay that way."

"If you don't believe me I'd be happy to demonstrate," the boy gave an impish grin and wriggle his fingers, as though ready to weave a spell. "So what about you? What brings you down this way?"

Some yards away there was a rustle in the underbrush and a soft giggle. Ewan didn't hear it.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension smiled at what the boy said. He knew that perhaps the boy was a bit confused or something. However he knew that if he switched emotion then the boy would see what he meant. He then gave a slightly confused look as he heard what else the boy said. He was a magic user trapped in a boys body. Well stranger things have happened he supposed. "I see . That's very interesting....." he said his voice trailing off a bit. He was fixing to change emotions.

His eyes got a slightly more serious look to them. This was his nervous persona.. he was a nervous would who tried to halfway understand where others were coming from. " I uhhh ... don't really think that's ... necessary " he said shifting his feet.

He then looked at the boy with a smile" uhhh well ... I am ... looking for a ..... beast that is said to ..... uhhh live here.... I want to..... Be the first..... to draw .,.. it..." he said . He was trying to keep calam . Though it was very hard to do right now.

Whim

In the span of a moment the bird's entire demeanor shifted. Ewan was a bit taken aback, not frightened, but startled. A look of realization came over his face and he asked quietly, "Have you got more than one soul?" It seemed a rude question. The boy knew little of the mind but understood souls anima well enough. It was the only plausible explanation for such a sudden change.

Then Pension bird went on to explain his plight, nervously stammering the whole way. Ewan stood with his hands at his hips, listening intently. Ewan did like love his giant apex-predators.

"What sort of beast are you lookin' for exactly? Someone might know about it at the Haven," he grinned impishly, "I could even turn into it for you I bet! Why don't I take you there and we'll see?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension noted the boys reaction to his sudden change. Though what he asked next was something that made the peacock frown and pause for a second. This was not the first time that he was asked that question. He knew that it could have been possible. He just never considered that before. " Uhh... well I ..... have been told ..... that before. ..... I guess you could..... say I do." He said with a nervous giggle.

He then heard what the boy said next. He smiled slightly and said " its a bird... who is said ... to be made ... of flame ... it never dies... and is reborn .. from its ashes." He explained. He then smiled and said. " You must ... uhh. ... be pretty ... talented then" he said with a smile. " Yes .... that would be ... good" he said . He was starting to calm down a little bit. He did not want to get himself too worked up. Though that was the curse of being what he was.

Whim

He listened patiently as the peafowl tried to explain. The boy liked the calmer soul better but decided not to say anything. "A phoenix can't be too hard. Just a matter of tapping into elemental fire a bit. Stand back, yeah?" Ewan motioned for Pension to stand aside. Then he whispered an old faerie verse, arms spread wide. Orange and yellow down sprouted from the boy's outstretched arms. He grined, so far so good! He started to weave a bit of fire into the spell and that's where it all went wrong.

There was a flash and a buff of smoke and Ewan stood coughing, surrounded by charred feathers. He flushed with embarrassment. He brushed himself off and looked to the bird, suddenly worried he frightened the nervous thing. The boy composed himself and gave a reassuring smile, "We'll get you supplied at the Haven if you like. Someone there ought to know if there's a phoenix in the jungle."

And the two set off down a vaguely marked path, Ewan carrying a basket of fruit. Perhaps to someone more observant than Ewan it would be clear 'something' was following them through the brush...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension nervously smiled when the boy said that a Phoenix could not be hard. He backed away. Then as he watch he switched emotions again. This time it was his more quiet persona. The one who often just let others talk while he listened. Though it was said that this persona was a bit rude at times. At the boys failed attempt he just grinned.

"That's the trouble with magic. It sometimes failed." He said in a slightly darker tone then before. Then he nodded to the boy and said"okay sounds good to me."  And with that he followed the boy.  He did get the feeling of being followed. His instincts told him to remain alert. After all you never knew what could be in the jungle.

Whim

"And it doesn't usually develop 'till adulthood," the boy huffed at the bird's sudden smugness, and beckoned the peafowl to follow. The pair soon came upon a trail marked by faces painted onto the trees. "Just a bit further. How'd you come to be out here without an expedition or guide? Must be pretty lonely..."

A spindly figure exploded from the underbrush and grabbed hold of Ewan from behind. The boy gasped in fright, then looked up with a sour expression. "Hello Ara. You've got to stop doing that!"

It was a girl in her teens wearing a smock of dyed and woven grass. Contrary to Ewan, who simply wore a loin cloth, she spored an assortment of braids and bodypaints; each signifying some special achievement. A bow hung at her side. She playfully tousled Ewan's hair, "Little man should be paying more attention, yes?"

Ewan slipped from her grasp. "Look. I just want to get Pension here to the Haven so he can rest and get directions."

"Haven is for the young; Zyra's Chosen." Ara's brow furrowed and she looked from Ewan to the peafowl. "Are you grown bird-man? How old?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension just smirked slightly at the boys words. The he walked behind him. 

As he walked he heard the sound of something moving though the brush.  Had he been in another mindset he would have probably said something. But this persona was a bit more to himself. He then heard the boys words. " Actually it was lonely. Not many like to be around me. I kinda learned to accept that really."  He said in a sad tone.

He was quiet as he saw the girl had frighted the boy some. Though it seemed that he was used to this. Then he listing to them converse. When the girl spoke to him he had to think a second. Yes he was an adult but it was his age that made him pause. " I am grown. As for how old I stopped counting at twenty . " He said in a nicer tone then before. After all he was rude before.

Whim

Several more of the Children emerged from the undergrowth. They were a bit older, all adorned as hunters and armed. Two boys jostled each-other but stopped after a sharp look from Ara. Despite their best efforts they couldn't quite appear as menacing. A proper knight would've laughed. The huntress continued, "Cannot enter the Haven. Zyra provides for us. Wants young, pretty, happy; not old."

Ewan gave Pension a sympathetic glance. The Haven seldom dealt with outsiders. It was xenophobic at the best of times, perhaps for good reason. It didn't help the children were terrified of growing up... and any reminder of it. "He just needs some directions and supplies. He won't be there long"

Ara shook her head and hushed Ewan, her gaze turning to Pension, "Where you going, Birdman?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension glanced when saw more children come from the brush. Now why was it that he had not see any of them while he was exploring here? Maybe he just missed them or something either way it did not matter. He then heard the girl speak again. He understood that there were different cultures around this land. He also knew that it was better not to upset them." I understand" he said.

He then as the boy spoke with the girl now. Then she turn back to him. " I am on the search for a mystical beast that is said to live here. I wish to draw it" he said with a smile. He was trying to be respectful and nice. Though he really just did not care.

Whim

"He wants a Phoenix," Ewan elaborated sourly and thrust his head toward the looming volcano range "Reckon you could point him the way up there?"He never liked Ara; always pushing him 'round. With proper sorcery he could have turned her obnoxious face into a rat's!

The huntress pursed her lips and looked from Pension to Ewan. Her expression softened, probably regretting her little dig at the peafowl. "Boy will guide you."

The little sorcerer gave her an incredulous glare. "I barely know the jungle as it is. Better if someone more experienced walked him over."

"Boy is soft. Needs learning," Ara prodded Ewan's rounded belly; his face reddened.

"But-" the hunting party turned to follow the trail, leaving Ewan and Pension behind. The boy felt bad turning the peafowl loose, but it was a long way to the mountains. That and the jungle was horribly dangerous. He gave Pension a hapless glance, hoping the bird might refuse his services...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension just listened as the boy spoke. He was quite sure that the boy did not care for the female before him. However that did not matter . What did matter was that he needed a guide. Though judging from what was being said the boy did not know this place much better then he did. Oh well help was help.

" Okay thank you." He said as they left. He the turned to the boy. He was switching personas again. This time he had a sinster evil look in his eyes. " Maybe we can help each other. surely there is something that I might be able to do in return for you." His voice was just as evil sounding as his look. However this persona was actually not as bad as he acted. He just liked to scare others . His way of getting respect.

Whim

In a blink the bird went from shy to near-menacing. Intellectually Ewan knew Pension wasn't much of a threat. On a deeper level he a small boy who who scared easy, and didn't feel much like a sorcerer at all.

"I suppose they'll have me climbing trees for fruit for weeks if I don't help you. I've not much of a choice" A bemused look smile crossed his face "Though I suppose you'll be needing me to find you food and build you fires anyway."

"What can you offer in return anyhow?" the boy was curious.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension looked at the boy as he spoke. He nearly laughed when he heard what was said. He knew well how to find food himself and build fires. After what kind of traveler would he be if he did not know how. " Heh well I do know how to take care of myself. I'm not an infant you know." He said with a sigh. He really just needed a guide. And perhaps a packhorses if the boy kept this up.

He then looked at the boy when he asked his next question. He was not certain how to respond. His answer would depend on what the boy wanted really. " Well that depends on what you want." He said softly . His eyes still held that evil look . He was not going to hurt him though. Just make sure he knew who was boss here.

Tags: