Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Found at Last {ScalesNDbook}

Started by Kalak8538, July 08, 2016, 01:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalak8538

As it was with most days, a deep gloom was hanging over the crumbling remains of the ancient city. The skies were heavily overcast, allowing much less light to make it to the ground. Dust hung in the air, making it somewhat harder for one to breathe. There was something else, a certain dark aura, that made for a depressing and foreboding atmosphere. This place reeked of evil.

In one of its abandoned cobbled streets, half buried under rubble, lay an old sword. Despite its age, it still shone with the same silver sheen it had when it was forged. A shining auburn gem adorned the hilt, just below its curved blade. The energy that emanated off it was great. It did not take a mage to see that there was great magic in this weapon, although the source of such power was a mystery.

It was simply laying there under weathered stone and debris, with no owner to wield it any longer. The one who had previously owned it was long dead, and any remains that were left had long faded to time. It had been dormant for an age, awaiting the day someone new would find it. And by chance, it seemed that this was that day.

ScalesNDbook

Karlin walked in the ruined city. The weather was gloomy.
Karlin had spend two whole days  searching the city and  he hadn't found neither another human nor something usefull. The whole trip was a waste of time.
While he walked in one of the abandoned streets he sensed something strange. He saw a shiny item buried beneath the debris.
Karlin got closer. The shiny object beneath the stones was the source of the strange energy that lured him to these street. Karlin removed the stones. beneath them there was a sword.
The sword looked brand new, and Karlin decided to examine it.
He lifted the sword

Kalak8538

The energy of the ancient sword intensified in response to the human's touch. Such a strange phenomenon... It was as if the weapon had woken up. Surely, this was an older magic.

Just as quickly as it grew, the magic waned again once it was lifted. The magic was still present, but now it was stable. It had a new wielder once again.

ScalesNDbook

Karlin sensed someting very strange when he lifted the  sword.
He already had a sword , but there was someting special in these one, so he decided to keep it.
Maybe the sword was the thing that will help him in his quest to save his siblings.

As he continued to walk through the ruins , Karlin saw a orc like creature armed with an axe and wearing human  sculls  as a necklace, defiantly hostile.
Karlin draw his sword and his new magic sword.

Kalak8538

The gem in the sword's guard began to glow dimly, but only for a moment or so. It was noticeable, but not entirely obvious. After that, it began to quiver gently. This soft yet rapid movement spread throughout the rest of the weapon, making it feel akin to a hive swarming with bees. The vibration slowly died down, until it ceased. The sword returned to normal. At least, until something else happened.

There was a yawn.

It was soft, and quiet. It eventually gave way to a voice that was just as soft, but grew louder as it continued.

"Woah... How long has it been? It feels like an AEON since you last picked me up!"

ScalesNDbook

" Sword you talk " - Karlin said and then he dodged the axe blow. Then he stabbed the orc creature, killing it.

Kalak8538

"How many times did I tell you? I am NOT a sword!" The voice retorted sharply.

After an annoyed huff, it continued in a mocking tone.

"And YES... I TALK! I mean, really. Don't you-"

There was a long pause as a sudden realization hit.

"Wait... You... you're not my wielder, are you?"

ScalesNDbook

" I wield you. So you can say I'm your wielder. "

Kalak8538

"Oh boy... Another one of these guys..." It mumbled with a fair amount of snark.

"Fine... You are, I guess. What I mean is, you are not the guy this sword was made for? That guy?"

ScalesNDbook

" Who are you exactly. The original owner of the sword probably died a few thousand years ago. "

Kalak8538

The voice was noticeably taken off guard by that question. No one really ever asked that question before.

"Umm, well then... I am- ...wait. Did you say few THOUSAND?!"

The shift from unprepared to surprised speech was very abrupt, almost comically so.

"That's not true... It can't be. You're messing with me, right?"

ScalesNDbook

" The city where I found you has been abandoned for at least a thousand years. Maybe for more "

Kalak8538

"You're not messing with me... Have I really been asleep that long?"

That last question sounded like it was more for itself than the one who was holding the sword. The voice was a lot more sullen now. It paused, then tried again after some forced chuckling.

"Hehe... I knew it felt much longer than my usual naps..."

ScalesNDbook

" If you aren't a sword , then what are you. "

Kalak8538

The voice took some time, noticeably composing itself.

"Well... I'm a Nimbat! Umm... I know it doesn't look like that right now..."

As the voice continued, the gem on the sword began to glow dimly. It faded on and off, in a constant rhythm, until it died again.

ScalesNDbook

" Nimbat ? I never heard of such creatures. "

Kalak8538

"No? We're little flying things! Orange fur? Long bodies? Big... ears?"

There was a bit of sadness in that response. It wanted desperately for the new wielder to confirm. A simple "oh yeah", or "so that's what they're called".

"Umm... Well! P-perhaps you just didn't see them! We can be veeery sneaky..."

He feigned confidence, but not very well. After such a long time, it was possible that his kind was gone. That was a possibility it did not want to acknowledge.

ScalesNDbook

" I was hoping that you  are a beautifull lady " Karlin said snarkily
" Do you have a name Mr. nimbat"

Kalak8538

"Oh! Sorry to disappoint you, brave hero." snapped the voice.

It was odd though, that a wielder asked so many personal questions. Most humans would have just treated it like any other sword, regardless that another living being was inside it.

"But, um... You can call me Flit." it answered with hesitation.

ScalesNDbook

- I'm Karlin, from the proud and noble house of Norss. - said
Karlin
- Tell me Flit,  do you have some magic powers ?

Tags: