Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The man from the sky

Started by majortom, September 25, 2016, 08:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

majortom

He was dreaming, he did that a lot these days. The afterlife gets rather boring sometimes and it's easy to sleep when you are dead. It was nice to take a nap after all the commotion that had went on. He couldn't quite remember what had happened, he seemed to remember a lot of shaking, then maybe an explosion? Being dead also made it rather difficult to die again, spirits tended to be a hardy bunch. There was also the fact they could just kind of put themselves back together. Needless to say he wasn't overly concerned with what had happened at the moment, choosing instead to focus on the dream. He was falling, it wasn't an unpleasant sensation after getting used to it. Falling through the black nothingness. He had this dream a lot, more and more as his memories of his previous life faded. Maybe they had finally left him alone this time, maybe since he was forgetting about them, the world was forgetting about him. It was a nice thought, being able to rest. He smiled.

Something was quickly becoming different about this dream, the blackness was giving way to light, not bright light, it was dim, the sort of light that sticks around for a while just after the sun begins to set. He also realized that he could feel the wind rushing past him. Well that was certainly new. It took him a moment to realize what it was, it had been so long since he felt the wind, since he felt much of anything. He realized now too that his chest was on fire. What was going on? He opened his eyes, no he could see that he really was falling, or that his dream was quickly becoming a nightmare. White tendrils of hair were flying up into his face as he stared at dusky sky, darkness over taking it. He took in a sudden gasp, and another, and another. He was breathing. Oh fuck, I'm breathing and I'm falling. This isn't going to end well. The thought did cross his mind that maybe he should just shut his eyes and not think about the sudden stop at the bottom.

That's when memories started coming back to him. No, not memories, instincts, things he knew he was capable of. He managed to shift himself, he was facing the fast approaching forest now. He didn't have long, but he had to wait a little longer before he could do anything about this situation. His eyes burned as the air rushed past them. Just a little bit longer...He started moving his hands in front of him. He reached out toward the trees below him and waited until he could feel them, not physically of course, then he would already be to late, no until he could feel their energy, their spirit, whatever label you wanted to give it. He concentrated, gathered his own energy and let it go. He could see, or at least hoped he saw, the trees shifting below him. Making a sort of netting out of tiny limbs and leaves, and bending the larger and more dangerous limbs out of the way.

The next part took timing, he was going to have to kill as much of his momentum as he could, but he had to wait until right before he was about to hit the trees or it wasn't going to do him a whole lot of good. He blinked against the wind, doing his best to keep his eyes open now. He waited as long as he could. His finger tips burned with the stored energy. He brought his hands in front of him in a clapping motion as fast and hard as he could, which in this case wasn't that fast. The speed was less important than the energy and will behind it of course. As his hands met, his fingertips brushed the first of the leaves and a wave of hair threw him up a few feet and jostled the trees below him. Then came the impact.

Of course the trees didn't do such a great job catching him. He wasn't the biggest person in the world but leaves do a terrible job of holding one in the air. He broke through them, his skin burning as he received little cuts here and there, his plain gray clothes were ripped as branches grabbed them. He managed to hit a rather stout branch low on a tree. It knocked the air out of him but he held on for dear life not sure how far up he was at this point. He looked down and after catching his breath gave a sigh. He was only five or six feet off of the ground at this point. He let himself drop and managed to land on his feet. His bare feet. He looked down at the tattered remains of a shirt and pants he was wearing a belt with two larger scabbards on the left side, and two smaller ones on the right, black handles sticking out of all four. He took a moment to question how they didn't manage to fly out during the fall or his spectacular landing. Then he looked down at his bare feet again. "No shoes? Really? Ratty old clothes that I never wore, no shoes, oh of course you get to keep your weapons." He kicked at the grass lightly. "No pack with field rations in it or anything?" He looked up into the air. "No, I know, you aren't going to answer anyway."

He very nearly took off walking before he realized he had no idea where or when he was. He took another look around and made his way over to a tree, sitting down and placing his back against it. "Yup, going to sit here for a minute, grumble about how unfair this is, and then get up and...from the looks of it build something to sleep in out of branches." He nodded a few times and let his eyes close and his head lean back against the tree.

Draconian

A routine flight.

Or it had been.

Ixtlilton had spotted it first, the body plummeting towards the earth. He'd even been so kind as to have taken off after it, leaving Luna with a yelp and a near heart attack at almost falling off it not for the harness. The wind whipped at her cheeks, turning them red and it blew the hood of her uniform back, leaving her pale silvery hair to blow behind her.

They'd arrived too late.

"Ixt," Luna said softly after they had landed to around where she imagined that person has fallen, the least they could do was find the body. Say a few words. Maybe find next of kin? She sighed and pushed her hand through her messy windy hair before she frowned again, was that a voice?

A voice getting angry about shoes?

Luna unfasted herself from the harness and slid off of Ixt, who gave her a look before rolling his eyes and curling up, tucking his head under his wing to wait for her, not interesting in investigating at all.

"Hello?" She called, drawing her hood back up, taking careful steps, the metal of her armor announcing her far better than she ever could, "Hello? Did you see someone.. Um... Possibly land around here?" her voice carried and she finally found the source, a person sitting by a tree. With weapons.

She was alarmed, cursing herself for leaving her lance with Ixtlilton but she squared her shoulders and remained calm. "Sir? Do you.... Perhaps, live out here?"

majortom

He continued grumbling to himself as he waited for something to happen. Anything at all. Maybe if he was close to a settlement of some sort he would have been noticed plummeting from the sky. Oh, but no, nothing around but trees, and even better it's dark. He grit his teeth and punched at the ground. He was surprised he didn't hit a rock. He gave a sigh. Then he heard it, the sound of...wings? Yup from the sound of it big leathery wings. Dragons, well at least some things never changed. He had something going for him here though, the trees were fairly tight, and he was sitting under some branches, maybe if it is was looking for a quick meal it wouldn't notice him.

Yup, it's all a cruel joke, drop me somewhere just to die again. Someone finally got the message that I ended up in the wrong place last time.. He grumbled as he heard the wings stop, he assumed that the beast had landed. He didn't have the energy to do any fighting. He was starving, he had used up quite a bit of juice trying to break his fall. He could run, and that would mean getting even more lost. He was about to stand up and start running when he heard a voice. Dragons don't speak like that. In fact the dragons that he had encountered before hadn't really said much of anything, they rather enjoyed roaring and exhaling blazing death, not so much on the talking.

He chuckled as he heard the woman, or at least he hoped it was a woman and not a strange dragon child, that would just further prove that he was indeed in Hell. Then he saw her, nope not a dragon child, very pale, but very much so a woman. He made his way slowly to his feet, making sure to scowl at his toes as he wiggled them in the grass. "No, no, I don't even know where here is sweetheart." He didn't make any sudden moves. The woman was potentially armed, she was wearing armour after all, so was he, he didn't need to make her jumpy, and he could certainly use a friend right now. At the very least he could use someone to point him somewhere that he could get something to eat.

"And I certainly did see someone land. I saw myself crash right through theses trees." He walked slowly to the tree he had caught the low branch of and pointed up. "See if you look you can see the nice hole I punched through the foliage up there." He jumped and grabbed hold of the last branch he had came in contact with, letting go after only a second. "And this branch broke my fall, and probably bruised some ribs, maybe a few more vital things" He moved towards her slowly and extended his right hand, keeping his left in view. "My name is..." He was drawing a blank. The puzzled look would show on his face. He closed his eyes and shook his head. "Kataroe, my name is Kataroe." He wasn't sure about a last name...or if he even had a last name, but the first name definitely came to him.

Draconian

Luna blinked in surprise, tilting her head up to look at the broken branches before she took a few more steps in, finding a nice patch of shade and pulling her hood off. The long ponytail of pale silver hair tumbled down to her waist and she moved closer.

"Kataroe," she repeated, trying out the name, "I'm Luna. I'm a knight from the Adelan Kingdom," she moved closer again, a hand out, "I only want to help," she said softly, watching him.

majortom

He listened to her speak. He wasn't sure if that much time had passed or if he had been placed in a whole new reality. Obviously his magic still worked and falling still hurt so at least some of the rules were still the same if the later was the case. "Right so definitely not home anymore ..." He shook his head and looked up through the trees again. He had fallen before but this one impressed even him. He pulled his long white hair back out of his face and mumbled about needing a haircut. He reached up to his ears and frowned. His piercings were gone, the holes weren't even there anymore.

"Yeah, I'm uhh, not from around here. It's cuh-tar-oh." He sounded it out before looking back to her. "Well I'm certainly willing to accept any help you have to offer." He smiled and spread is arms to the side. "All I have are the clothes I'm wearing, and as you can see there isn't a whole lot left of them at the moment." He let his arms down to his sides. "I have no clue where I am, how I got here, or where to go." He sighed. "Also, no money, no food, no shelter, and so on." Normally he didn't care much for taking charity from others, literally falling from the sky had made him decide this should be an exception though.

Draconian

Luna looked up at the sky again before giving Kataroe a weary look. A few steps closer and she held out her hand, lips pursed before she pulled her hood back on. A little nibble of her lips and she sighes. "It's my duty as a mounted knight to help you," she stated -mostly to herself.

"My dragon is back there, but we dont have to ride him back to Ketra if you arent comfortable with that." A glance over her shoulder and offended huff could be heard in the distance, a moments pause and she tried to smile. "C'mon, we can... get you shoes."

majortom

"Ahh, so I did hear a dragon earlier." Did she just say ride it? They rode dragons here? He didn't want to think of how many years and how many unfortunate accidents it took to get dragons to allow riders. "I was afraid that one had seen me falling from the sky and decided I might make an easy snack, or was just coming to torch me for being in it's territory." He looked behind her, in the direction of the huff. Now he was curious to go and see said dragon. He was tempted to start walking in that direction but he didn't want to be the first one to come into it's view. Better to wait on her.

"Well Miss Luna, I have no aversion to riding so long as there aren't any sudden drops, had enough of those for one day." He found another twig stuck in his hair and tossed it to the side. "So, where are we going? Adela right? You said you were a knight of the Adelan Kingdom?" That certainly seemed like a kingdom you would not want to cross. Maybe he got thrown into a good spot after all. "Lead the way if you would please."

Draconian

Ixt poked his head through the trees to examine Kataroe. A once over, a dissasified huff and Luna offered the strange man a smile and pursed her lips. "I cant promise how well Ixt will fly - he might decide to be a brat." A brief smile and she reached to run a gloved hand over the dragons snout who looked at her pleased enough but cast a suspicious look onto Kataroe.

"You're already in Adela," she confirmed, shifting her hood, "We'll get you to Ketra. It shouldnt be a long flight. Then we can figure out where you're from and why you fell out of the sky." A brief glance up and Luna frowed, "maybe you could fly?"

majortom

"Ah well, so long as I don't take a tumble like the one I just had I think I will be fine." He returned the smile and then his gaze turned toward the dragon that had poked his head through the trees. "Well, certainly different from the dragons that I've seen before." He didn't make an attempt to approach. The last thing he wanted to do was spook a creature that could easily roast him, or make a snack of him. He was a bit wary of the look he was getting from the giant beast. Maybe it was just his imagination but he swore he was getting mean mugged by the dragon. He moved slowly toward Luna and Ixt, making sure that his hands were visible and keeping them away from his weapons.

"Oh no, I might be able to fly for short periods but flying would take to much focus." He shook his heads, he had fuzzy memories coming back. "I'm...I'm not sure we are going to have much luck with finding out where I'm from." He closed his eyes for a moment and then opened them again. "I uh...mmm it's a very long story. Maybe after we take care of some more pressing matters, like returning me to civilization."

Draconian

Luna gave him a weary glance before she moved to Ixt, a few pats on his neck and he obediantly lowered his head and moved his arm. Luna hopped up on the dragon, sitting behind the saddle and nodded to Kararoe. "You get the saddle, we'll strap you in and then go to Ketra."

majortom

Kataroe relaxed a bit as the dragon lowered it's head and moved his large leg so that Luna could get on. He walked toward the dragon, stopping as he stood so that he could reach that saddle. He reached up and grabbed the saddle, with a little jump and pull he had one foot on the saddle. He carefully swung his other leg over so as not to hit Luna.

"I really can't thank you enough, or you." he hesitantly patted the dragon. "I'm not sure how long I would have been out here lost in the woods if not for you two." He would have started strapping himself into the saddle but he wasn't sure what that entailed, so instead he simply tried to make sure he was out of the way. "Sorry if I seem a bit off...I'm sure it must be disconcerting for you stumbling across me." He frowned a little. He would have to come up with some sort of story for himself now.