Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strange Magic [Dragonsong]

Started by Zero, August 15, 2016, 04:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"Don't mention it. Ever." Joss grumbled a bit as Calen wiggled closer, but he threw an arm around the mage and settled in. "Go to sleep. You'll feel better after some rest."

The demon hunter wasn't actually sure of that, but it sounded good.

DragonSong

"Yeah..."

Despite everything, Calen almost smirked as he felt Joss's arm come around him. Knew you had a soft spot.

Luckily, he was too exhausted to voice that particular thought. With another little shiver, the mage sank into unconsciousness.

Zero

Speaking such an absurd thing out loud would have definitely got Calen punched no matter how pitiful he was just then. Joss did not have a soft spot, certainly not for irritating and needy mages.

Shortly after Calen fell unconscious Joss did the same. No reason not to take advantage of a free bed for the night, even if he did have to share it.

DragonSong

Throughout the course of the night, Calen's temperature dropped steadily. By morning, he was near freezing to the touch, skin pale and lips almost blue. He'd somehow managed to press himself so close to Joss that is was like he was fused to the other man's side.

He was awake, but he couldn't seem to open his eyes. It was just...so much...effort...

Zero

The first thing Joss noticed as he groggily woke up was that he felt insanely stiff and chilly, like he'd been cuddling an ice cube or something. It was about the time that thought flitted across his mind that he realized that he was practically wrapped around Calen, and the mage really was like a block of ice.

"Fuck." He sat up and quickly took Calen's face in his hands, using his thumbs he gently lifted his eyelids, looking into his eyes with concern. Joss scowled down at his frozen companion before gently closing Calen's eyes again. "You're going to be alright. Just hang in there, okay?"

There didn't seem to be a lot of time or a lot of choice. Joss pried himself away from the other man and dropped to his knees on the floor while pulling out his ceremonial dagger. The demon hunter sliced open his finger and began drawing in earnest with his blood. When the large circular sigil was complete he tucked his dagger back away and dragged Calen off the bed, laying him in the circle.

With no idea if it would even help, Joss started chanting as he flipped open his grimoire. The pages turned on their own before stopping at a certain spell. Whatever "mark" had been placed on Calen needed to be overridden before it killed him.

DragonSong

Unable to really move beyond a stuttered groan and fluttering eyes, Calen's head lolled to the side as Joss dragged him into the center of the circle. It was so hard to focus, to try to figure out what was going on. "H-hey...what're...y'doin'...?"

Another violent shiver, and now the cold was so strong it hurt, digging icy daggers into his heart and lungs. He coughed through the shudders that wracked his frame, a rather pathetic whimper that under any other circumstances he would have been embarrassed about leaving his lips.

Zero

"If this works? Saving your life." Joss muttered, although not at all sounding sure of himself. He was not a hero or a healer or someone that was designed for saving others. As a demon hunter all his focus was on destruction of the highest and most violent order. When facing evil you had to learn to turn evil into a weapon all your own.

Still, the book had responded to his need to save Calen. There was the spell right in front of him on the pages. That meant this would work, yes? Joss was willing to bank on it. Worst case scenario was it failed and the mage died. No skin off his nose, right?

The words poured out of his mouth without thinking about it, the demonic tongue harsh and raspy as he recited the incantations. Joss could feel the magic flowing through him and swirling around the room. When the last verse left his lips a molten pain raced from the palm of his left hand and up that arm to his shoulder. He yowled and clutched at his arm with the other, cradling and whimpering softly as the pain slowly ebbed away.

A protection sigil was seared into his left palm. Upon Calen's right hand was the matching sigil.

DragonSong

Heat. Blessed, searing heat. He didn't even care that it hurt, scorching him from the inside out, he was just so relieved to feel that warmth again.

Calen gasped, her back arching as his eyes flew open. Color returned to his face with a flush that seemed to spread from his chest, and the pain clawing at his lungs dulled in the wake of that sudden inferno.

Another gasp, and then he rolled onto his side, hacking and coughing as feeling returned to his extremities. Shaking, her pushed himself up onto his hands and knees, staring up at Joss with wide eyes.

"Um...thanks? Ah--!"

He looked down at his right palm as it sort of-- pulsed, and his eyes went even wider. "Uhhh...what's this?"

Zero

Joss couldn't answer right away. He was panting and his hand was shaking. That had been completely unexpected. If the demon hunter was honest he didn't have a clue exactly what had just happened.

"A protection sigil." He finally managed to croak out, holding up his hand for Calen to see. "I have one too."

DragonSong

"Ahhh. O...kay?" Calen looked from his hand to the demon hunter's, flexing his fingers experimentally.

Sitting up a little straighter, he flashed Joss a weak smirk. "Seems a little early for the whole matching tattoos thing, dontcha think?"

Zero

"Ha. Ha. Ha. It wasn't intentional you dunce." Joss grimaced and also tested flexing his fingers. The pain was ebbing away steadily, and though the mark looked like a brand it did not burn and sting like a real one. This was not a normal mark, that was for sure.

At least Calen seemed to have livened up. Did that count as a success?

"Hey, the good news is you aren't dead. I thought you were a goner, honestly. Whatever the demon did to you was no joke." Joss wasn't sure what he had done to Calen yet. Obviously something, but it was an accident and it had saved the guy's life, so ultimately a win.

DragonSong

"Yeah, you're telling me." Calen got to his feet with a groan, arching his back and stretching his arm up above his head. "I really thought I was gonna die..."

For once, there was no snap to his tone, no light jibe. His eyes had gone dull, staring down at the mark on his hand.

Then he shook his head and his customary smirk snapped back into place. "Well. Thanks, man. I really owe you one."

Zero

"Honestly? So did I." How much longer before the mage would have passed away in his sleep? It had been a close call, much too close for comfort. Not that Joss cared or anything, but waking up with a dead body would have sucked.

He hated answering hard questions.

"I think you owe me a few more than just one, Frosty." Heaving a sigh, the demon hunter rolled his left shoulder a few times. It was very weird, having his whole left arm get all scorching and painful. His magic had never really hurt him before. At least the pain had faded quickly. Joss stood up and copied Calen, stretching his back out. "Ugh. That bed is too small for two men."

DragonSong

Apparently unable to help himself, Calen smirked and quipped, "I dunno, I've gotten two men in there just fine. Three, on one occasion."

Already anticipating Joss's glare, he raised his hands and glanced at the door. He was making a concerted effort not to think about the new mark on his hand. "Gods, I'm starved. You hungry? Let's get something to eat."

Zero

"I really didn't need that knowledge in my brain." Joss scowled at Calen, decidedly not amused at the uninvited information about the mage's bed habits.

At least the next thing to come out of the other man's mouth was actually sensible.

"That's the first smart thing you've said today. Breakfast is pretty high on my priority list right now." Between fighting a demon, keeping Calen warm, and whatever it was he had done with the sigil, Joss had used up a lot of energy and magic.

DragonSong

"Considering I've only said about three lucid things today, I don't think that stung quite as much as you meant it to," Calen laughed, already leaning into the door to nudge it open. "C'mon. I think I can smell bacon."

Zero

"I was counting last night. So the first smart thing since I saw you again." It probably still didn't sting that much, but honestly Joss wasn't in the mood to try to barb the mage. He absentmindedly rubbed at the mark on his hand as he followed Calen. "Mmm, bacon. I sure hope so."

DragonSong

The ice mage chuckled, looking a little too pleased with himself as Joss's insult fell flat again, then jerked his head toward the hallway. "This way, shift it."

He strode out into the hall, glancing casually to each side before making his way back toward the main room.

Zero

Joss rolled his eyes and followed Calen into the hall. He didn't remember a whole lot from his last brief stay at this place. Then again, he'd been pretty drunk when they arrived and very hungover when they left. Neither was the best condition for making memories.

"You're cheerful for a guy that just cheated death." It was an offhand observation.

DragonSong

Calen grinned. "Why wouldn't I be? I just cheated death! I'm on top of the world, mate!"

He clapped a hand companionably on Joss's shoulder before striding back out into the inn's common room. It was empty, same as last time, but there was definitely the smell of cooking food from the kitchen.