Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strange Magic [Dragonsong]

Started by Zero, August 15, 2016, 04:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"First time for everything, Frosty." Joss smirked at the mage, who hadn't been exactly shy about slipping in little quips about his bedroom life. The demon hunter hadn't been particularly interested in knowing about Calen's sex life, but there you had it.

DragonSong

Calen smiled a bit, pleased almost despite himself that he'd at least managed to get a smirk out of the demon hunter, if not a real smile.

Dropping his voice a bit, he murmured, "Really though, Joss...thanks. And, uh, I'm-- I'm sorry I sorta dragged you into this."

Zero

"Don't mention it. Really. I have a reputation to protect, I'll have you know." Joss was frowning again, arms still crossed over his chest. "Besides, it was the demon that dragged me into it. I wouldn't be much of a demon hunter if I happened across one and just let it go on about it's business."

DragonSong

"Oohh, reputation," Calen ribbed lightly-- though he seemed to be a bit relieved to be moving away from more sincere territory. With another shrug, he added, "Eh, you won't hear any complaints from me, anyway." He tilted his head, considering. "Do I like...owe you for all that? I mean, besides the meal."

Hunting demons was his job after all. Should he be paying him?

Zero

"You didn't exactly agree to any payment beforehand, so I can't really demand one. Call it my good deed of the year." Joss did get paid to hunt demons, sometimes, but he would hunt down and kill them regardless. The demon had been there, so he had destroyed it. Calen had very little to do with that part, although he supposed he had gone above and beyond the call of duty in trying to keep him warm and performing that...ritual.

Joss still wasn't sure exactly what he had done. He unconsciously rubbed at his left palm again, where the mark now rested.

DragonSong

The ice mage's eyes flickered toward the movement of Joss's hand. His lips thinned slightly, a bit of the playful glint fading from his eyes.

"So, uh... Alright then. Thanks." Giving himself a little shake, Calen returned his attention to Maria when she stood behind the bar. "Hey, gorgeous! Any updates on that food?"

"Fuck off, Frosty!"

He winced and laughed, rubbing at the back of his neck. "Damn. I was sorta hoping that nickname wouldn't stick."

Zero

Joss didn't really replay to the thanks, just gave a bit of a grunt and stared at the far wall, not really wanting to focus on Calen, the mark, or any of what had happened since last night. Although he did snicker when Maria told the mage to fuck off.

"Aww, but it suits you so well Frosty! Damn, okay, that's my reward for saving your scawny neck last night." The demon hunter was still chuckling.

DragonSong

Calen found himself grinning almost despite himself and flicked his fingers in Joss's direction, sending a brief, chilly wind curling around the demon hunter. "Ass," he accused, narrowing his eyes in play-anger.

Zero

Joss crinkled his nose when he felt the chilly breeze swirl around him, the air currents ruffling his hair a bit, but he was still smirking as he glanced over at Calen across the table. "Were you expecting anything else?"

DragonSong

With another dramatic sigh the ice mage leaned back in his chair, one hand clutched to his chest and an expression of pure melancholy writing itself across his features. "Alas, it seems to be my lot in life to see the best in everyone, though time and time again the cruel world proves to me that it is not wise to do so..."

He said it with the same lack of sincerity that he said almost everything, a hint of a smirk twitching at the edges of his mouth. But just for a moment, there was the barest flicker of something-- something real behind his eyes. Something tired and grieving.

But it was gone in an instant, replaced with a full smirk and a jaunty wink.

Zero

"Heh." Joss rolled his eyes at the dramatic display. Most people had no idea how cruel the world could be. Sometimes he was bitter and hated other people for that. The rest of the time he knew that they just hadn't seen how ugly life could really be.

Ignorant fools.

"I think I liked you better when you were dying." At least then the mage had sort of been serious, but he delivered the words with a teasing smirk.

DragonSong

"Oh, oof, ouch." Calen pouted at him and  faux-swooned back into his chair. "You cut me to the quick, Master Demonhunter."

"If you've quite finished being an idiot." Maria seemed to just suddenly manifest from the air, slamming down two plates of gently steaming food between them.

"Never, my darling," Calen replied with a cheeky grin and, with a quick wink for Joss, dug in.

Zero

"I'll find a way to live with the guilt." Joss snorted, giving Calen a bit of an eye roll. The ice mage was so dramatic.

He started slightly when Maria was suddenly there, putting their breakfast down quite forcefully. A cheerful woman, Joss noted. She was the exact opposite of the mage across from him in personality.

"He can only be what he is." Which was most definitely an idiot. Joss pulled his plate closer and eagerly started shoveling food into his mouth. He was starving!

DragonSong

Calen chuckled and swallowed a bite of breakfast before making a face at both Maria and Joss--though the innkeeper was already striding away back toward her front desk. "Y'know, I happen to be a powerful, dangerous mage," he muttered. "It might not be good for your health to get on my bad side."

Zero

Joss snorted at the threat, if you could even call that a threat. "Yeah, well fire melts ice and I saved your life, so I'm willing to take my chances. You can't be a demon hunter if you're not dangerous and ballsy as hell."

DragonSong

"And you can't work odd jobs from Zantaric to Arca and back if you don't know you're way around a bit of magic, a blade, and the kinda people who wield 'em," Calen quipped back lightly.

He had no doubt the other man was dangerous, but the ice mage wasn't actually the ditz he pretended to be.

Zero

"Forgive me if I'm not shaking in my boots, Frosty. Don't worry though Snowflake, I won't tell anyone about that whole almost dying thing you did last night through this morning." Joss frowned thoughtfully over his breakfast for a moment. "I still don't like all of that. It was weird."

DragonSong

"What, almost dying? Eh, not that weird, actually, happens to me on a pretty regular basis," Calen quipped easily, but there was a bit less playfulness to his tone, and his eyes had sobered entirely.

"...I didn't care for the cold though. That was...new. New, and unpleasant."

Zero

Joss chewed on a piece of bacon thoughtfully, brow creased as things became more serious once again. He hated not knowing what had really happened. It was one thing to not know what the demon had done to Calen, but he didn't know what he had done to the mage. Whatever it was, it had saved the other man's life, but at what cost?

"I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it, and I know I've never done what I did this morning to save you before. It worked, so I guess that's the important thing, but I don't know. Not knowing what I actually did bugs me. Also the marks are weird."

DragonSong

"Yeah." Calen frowned and tapped the table twice with one finger. "Those. What the hells is that all about anyway? Not that I'm opposed to tattoos on principle, I just tend to prefer that I have some say in when and where I get them, y'know?"