Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strange Magic [Dragonsong]

Started by Zero, August 15, 2016, 04:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Physically he felt fine again, but Joss was still very shaken up by not knowing what was wrong with him. Nothing like this had ever happened to him before and the demon hunter really didn't like that, not one bit.

"I know one, she's trustworthy." Joss had contacts all over the world for all different kinds of things, and though he despised going to a healer, well it was extremely important he know ones that he could trust, given the dangerous lifestyle he led and for key other reasons. Which reminded him that Calen was with him.

A terribly inconvenient fact but he was sure it could be...handled.

"I can walk, c'mon." Joss tried to shake Calen off slightly, he really didn't need the mage's help staying on his feet. At least not at the moment, but as proven earlier that could change fast. He started making his way to the healer he knew since childhood.

DragonSong

"Okay. Good. That's good." Calen allowed Joss to shake him off, but he stuck close to the demon hunter's side as they walked, casting concerned glances at him every once in a while.

Concerned despite himself. Gods, he'd never been such a mother hen before, even with people he liked far better than Joss... Not that Joss was a bad guy, per se, he was just...prickly. Though he had to admit, he had no idea why he was so invested in this man's well-being.

I'm just being a decent person, he told himself, then almost snorted at the thought. Him, decent. Right.

Zero

Joss said nothing as Calen hovered close to him as they walked. He made no snide comments, no insults, no expression of annoyance. Normally he'd have spoken freely, and it wasn't as if he didn't feel annoyed, but he also knew that driving off the only person that was willing to help him in this moment was a bad idea.

Instead he kept his mouth closed in a thin, determined line as he left the main road and began weaving through alleys. The home was more like a hovel as Joss approached. It was in a sketchy part of the city, although given it was Zantaric the same could be said for most parts of the city.

Joss knocked unceremoniously before stepping back and waiting. It was almost a minute before the door cracked open, just enough for the grey-haired occupant to look them over warily before opening it wider. The woman was older, but stood strong and straight despite her grey hair, her brown eyes were still bright, and she appraised them with a stern frown.

"Phara, I trust you to be discrete, as always." Joss said flatly, with a very small gesture in Calen's direction, one that the mage wasn't particularly meant to see.

"Of course. Well, come in then." She stepped aside and beckoned them in. "You don't look mauled by a demon this time, so consider me curious. Especially since I've never seen you bring a...guest."

DragonSong

"I'm just the ride," Calen replied with a quick smile for the healer. Though normally fairly observant, he was distracted enough by his actual worry for Joss and the confusion that the anxiety induced to notice anything cagey.

"He seems sick," the ice mage supplied as he followed the other man inside. "I dunno, it comes and goes. It's weird."

Zero

"Not like that." Joss growled at Phara's slightly questioning look as she closed the door behind them.

"Oh of course." Phara said with amusement, before turning to Calen and looking him over for a few moments. "I see. Sickness that comes and goes, how unusual. How quickly does it come and go?"

"Seems a bit random, honestly." Joss groused, running his fingers through his hair and sighing tiredly.

"Hm. Well I think you and I should speak alone, yes? I can examine you in the office." Phara gestured towards a door leading to another room and Joss went without hesitation, he knew his way around this house. Phara turned to Calen with a pensive frown. "You may wait here, if you wish, or you can go. I will take care of them."

DragonSong

Calen glanced between Phara and Joss, waffling. Which was ridiculous. He didn't waffle. He shouldn't even be here. Joss was fine, he was getting healing. He'd be able to check on him once he'd got some of his contacts looking into these weird sigils--not that he needed to check on him--oh, forget it.

"Yeah, I should...head out, I guess." He stepped back toward the door. "You, uh, take care then?"

He gave them both a little nod and turned to go, trying to ignore yet another strange pang of anxiety and instead focus on who he might be able to talk to in Zantaric.

Zero

"Yep." Joss barely even responded to Calen saying he was leaving. Most of the short amount of time he'd known the mage getting away from him had been the goal. Sure he'd used him to get this far, just in case he got sick again on the way, but now he was in Phara's capable hands.

"Close the door on your way out please." Phara simply nodded. They didn't wait for Calen to see himself out, instead both disappearing deeper into the house.

DragonSong

"Yeah. Right." Calen gave her another nod and a quick smile, but he wasn't sure either of them even noticed as he left. They seemed rather focused, which only made sense.

He made sure the door shut tight behind him--he'd spent enough time in Zantaric to know how much even a tiny bit of extra security was worth--and started off on his way again.

Although...he wasn't exactly sure which way that was. He hesitated, then shook his head and just picked a direction. He started off fairly confident, but with each step it suddenly began to feel like he was trying to walk through thick mud sucking at his boots. The knot of anxiety twisted tight in his lower belly, and he gritted his teeth, trying to shove it from his mind.

Zero

They must have made it to Phara's just in time, because Joss barely made it to the office before he was doubled up, holding onto the desk just to keep himself from falling all the way to the floor. Dry heaves shook him as his empty stomach tried to rid itself of things it no longer had left.

Phara helped Joss to a couch and set about trying to examine him. They exchanged a terse conversation, she asking questions to rule out certain conditions and he giving clipped, annoyed answers between heaves. As a healer she was quite skilled, and was proud of those skills, having patched Joss and his mother up on many an occasion, saving their lives numerous times. Today, however, well she was stumped. This was no sickness she knew.

Although the new marking on Joss's hand was definitely strange. Interesting, but strange.

DragonSong

Calen was cursing himself by the time he got back to the healer's door. He shifted from foot to foot, glowering at nothing and muttering under his breath about what an idiot he was being.

But already that tight anxiety was starting to loosen, even just having made the decision to come back and check. What the hells was wrong with him.

With a resigned sigh, he lifted a hand to knock. "Hey, it's me! I'm, uh...back."

Zero

The episode of being violently ill mercifully began to slowly relent. Joss was resting on the couch, head propped up with a small cushion and his arm laying over his eyes. His breathing was heavy and he'd begun to sweat again. Thankfully the symptoms were easing up, although how long that relief would last was anyone's guess. He groaned when he heard a knock at the door. Phara just patted his hand gently and went to see who it was.

Although it was fairly obvious when Calen announced himself. The healer opened the door and fixed him with a curious look. "Already? That was quick. Joss is on the couch in the office, he got very sick after you left."

DragonSong

Calen blinked. "Shit. Really?" Had the irrational anxiety somehow been founded?

Shaking his head, he rocked from his heels to the balls of his feet and back a few times before making a vague gesture inside. "Is it, ah...is it alright if I...?" He motioned again, feeling more awkward than he could ever remember feeling while fully closed. "It okay if I...check on him?"

Zero

Phara arched a brow at Calen before stepping aside so that he could come in. She called out down the hall. "Joss, your little friend is back."

"We're not friends!" Came the muffled response.

"Well they want to see you." She shook her head and gave Calen a bit of an amused smirk.

"Whatever." Joss definitely sounded a bit hoarse.

"Go on then. I'm going to fix some tea." Phara wandered to the small kitchen to begin heating water for a pot of soothing tea.

DragonSong

At the same time Joss shouted it, Calen rolled his eyes and huffed, "We're not friends."

He blinked as the demon hunter's voice overlaid his, then shook his head. He returned the healer's smirk with a quick sideways grin, falling easily into the habitual charm that had so often gotten him out of trouble--almost more than it got him into it.

Nodding at Phara when she moved toward the kitchen, he made his way over to the couch where Joss was laying, pausing in the doorway to lean back against the frame and fold his arms loosely over his chest. "So. Took a bad turn, huh?"

Zero

"Yeah, it's fucking bullshit. It's passing though, for now. I hope this isn't something that lasts for very long. I hate being sick." Nobody liked being sick. Joss sighed and lifted his arm so he could lift his head to squint at Calen with a frown. "Thought you left. Figured you'd be off to hunt down some answer to what the sigils are."

"Sigils?" Phara questioned as she came up behind Calen to glare at Joss. "There's more than one? Why did you only show me the one on your hand? Where is the other?"

Joss rolled his eyes, dropping his head back down and laying his arm over his eyes again, free hand pointing at Calen. Phara turned her eyes onto the mage with a disapproving frown, hands on her hips. "Well?"

DragonSong

"Well, I was planning to, but something told me some poor, helpless demon hunter might need my help," Calen quip wryly, smirking. He jumped slightly when Phara seemed to just appear behind him, spinning to face her.

"Gods! Wear a bell, woman," he grumbled, but with a quick sigh and another look at Joss, he dropped his pack so he could lift his hand and show his palm to the healer. "Happened when Sunshine used some sort of spell to..." save my life "Help me, after a demon attack."

Zero

Phara ignored the comment, grabbing Calen's hand and peering at the sigil with a frown, brow furrowed as she studied it pensively.

"Pretty much what he said. Some demon marked him and he felt like freezing to death so I ended up using...something. The book showed it to me when I asked for help to save the idiot's life before he turned into a block of fucking ice." Joss sighed again before trying to sit up, which he did manage, with gritted teeth. "Should have let him."

"The sigils are a matching pair." Phara concluded, releasing Calen's hand, satisfied with her inspection. "They are slightly different, but belong together."

"Eh?" Joss looked down at his left palm, studying the marking on his hand with a scowl. They weren't exactly the same? He thought they were.

DragonSong

"Wait, what?" Calen looked from Phara to Joss and back. "They are? Huh." Granted, he hadn't exactly been studying the two marks side by side, but he hadn't realized they were different at all.

"A pair," he repeated, frowning down at his hand. He looked up at Joss again. "So...what does that mean, exactly? They belong together."

A possible answer was starting to occur to him, and he hoped he was wrong. That would just be...so deeply inconvenient.

Zero

Joss refused to consider the whole belong together statement. Nope, he wasn't even going there right now. This was all too weird and extremely frustrating.

"Why do you keep asking me like I'm gonna magically pull the answer outta my ass?" Joss grumbled, but he dragged himself off the couch and moved over to Calen so he could hold his left hand next to the mage's and view the sigils side by side.

They did look nearly identical. However a single line was different, mirrored in placement. "Well fucking hell. They are a matching set."

DragonSong

"Because it was your book that did this?" Calen suggested in a grumble. He held his hand beside Joss's, squinting at the sigils.

He let out a low whistle when he saw what the other two already had. "I'll be damned," he mumbled. Then he snorted, glancing at Joss sidelong. "What, so we're...like salt and pepper shakers now?"