Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Little Night Music

Started by DragonSong, August 15, 2016, 04:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Weeeell, maybe just one night," Tara relented with a chuckle. She continued to pick at the food, not wanting to limit herself to just one piece and so taking small bites of each offered dish.

The way he kept praising her talent was making her blush, and she attempted to change the subject a bit if only to preserve some of her dignity. "So, you said before you could...feel my magic? How does that work?"

Zero

While Tara enjoyed sampling the food, Tatsu sipped his wine and occasionally nibbled at the roll out of a sense of obligation. It was very good bread, of course, but he didn't eat as much as humans tended to - even if he was a dragon.

"It is hard to describe." He admitted about his magic. Which was true enough. "When I sense magic I can draw it into me, or it can draw me into it. Think of tendrils of magic, or threads, perhaps and when they meet they begin to intertwine and tangle together, but they are always able to pull apart. Earlier when you were playing, I felt the pull of those threads and was easily woven into them. They were a wonderful feeling. Not all magic is so pleasant to encounter."

DragonSong

"Really? Huh." She tilted her head at him as she continued to pick at the food. "I've never heard magic described that way. At least, not the...collision of magic. It's intriguing."

Dropping her eyes to the plate, Tara's natural curiosity grew bolder and she asked, "Did you study in Arca then? Is that why your shop's there?"

Zero

"I have never met another with quite the same ability as myself." Well, no human Tatsu had met could sense and manipulate magical energies like he could. A few had similar talent with magical flows not belonging to them, but none with exactly the same ability - and never the same level of control.

"Nellie chose the shop location, but no, I never studied in Arca. I had private mentors when I was very young." So long ago now he could hardly recall individual members of his own species.

DragonSong

"Ha!" She pointed a finger at him. "I knew it. You are some sort of lord or something, you have to be. No one else gets private tutors for magic."

She sat back in her chair, looking quite smug.

Zero

"Where I was raised everyone received personalized tutoring to train their strengths with magic. None of us were treated better or worse than the others. I am not a lord." There had been no such thing among his own kind, and with the humans he was just a very wealthy merchant.

DragonSong

"Hm." Tara frowned and shook her head, not in denial, more in disbelief. "Well, that must've been...very beneficial." Curiosity stoked even higher now, she pressed cautiously, "Where exactly were you raised then?"

Zero

"Somewhere that no longer exists. It was destroyed a long time ago." Tatsu leaned back in his chair, nursing his wine with a sigh. He had the look of a man full of regret. "Peaceful people make easy targets for the ruthless and uncaring."

DragonSong

"Oh." Her eyes widened slightly, then softened, the lines around her mouth tightening a bit. "I'm...sorry."

She knew the words weren't adequate, but the were the best she could do. She sighed and looked down at the table, adding in a soft murmur, "I- I know what you mean. The world forces you to harden yourself."

Zero

"It was a very long time ago." Tatsu simply murmured. It was not something that Tara needed to apologize for. She certainly hadn't been one of the people responsible for destroying his home and butchering his people.

He smiled faintly at her assessment of what the world forced you to do. "Do I seem all that hardened by my ordeals?"

DragonSong

"Actually...no." She furrowed her brow, evidently puzzled by that. "You seem very...at peace." It was the best way she could find to describe his demeanor.

Finally seeming to realize that she was really the only one eating, she paused and muttered sheepishly, "Um- you didn't get this all for me, right? Eat something, I feel awkward." She chuckled a bit.

Zero

At peace. Tatsu wasn't sure if at peace were the right words to truly describe him, but Tara could only judge based on what he showed her. He simply smiled and took another sip of his wine, enjoying the flavor. He did enjoy this place so much, they knew how to accommodate his fanciful tastes almost expertly.

"Forgive me, Miss Tara. I admit the food was not my focus, I have found you far more interesting, but I am sorry for causing you discomfort." For her more than anything he picked one of the shrimp out and popped it into his mouth with a pleased hum. Well, it was good.

DragonSong

"Oh, I didn't mean- you're not makin me uncomfortable, I just feel guilty being the only one eating all this fine s- food, y'know?" She offered a crooked smile and took another small sip of her wine.

Tara was hardly a lightweight, but she would admit to a few drinks earlier in the day, the buzz from which had not quite worn off, and when coupled with the wine was making her feel much more relaxed.

"Don't s'pose you're in town long?" she asked with a tilt of her head, a few strands of hair falling from her braid to brush her cheek, which she blew away absently.

Zero

"No need to feel guilty." It had been ordered for her, after all. Although Tatsu didn't bother to point that out. He was far more interested in relaxing back in his chair with his wine, studying Tara from across the table.

"Until I decide to leave town, and decide where to go next." Most people probably traveled with a plan, but he liked to act on a whim when a mood or emotion struck him. Just as it had happened to see him spending his evening with Tara. Entertaining company had not been part of his evening plan until moments before he had asked her to join him.

DragonSong

"It's nice isn't it?" She smiled and settled back a little more comfortably in her chair. "Not really having a plan- being free to roam as you like." She chuckled a bit and added, "Though I suppose you have to report home to your daughter every now and again."

Zero

"She does prefer to hear from me at regular intervals." Tatsu acknowledged. Of course she did, anyone who loved someone would wish to hear that they were doing well often. He traveled home frequently because he also worried about Nellie and wished to make sure she was safe and happy.

It was what family did.

"What about you Miss Tara? Is there no one waiting to hear from you on occasion?" Surely she must have someone that worried for her while she traveled the world alone.

DragonSong

"Nope." Tara popped the "p" as she leaned back into her chair and flashed him a quick smile. With a little shrug, she said easily, "People are complicated. Not worth it."

She suddenly frowned a bit, glancing at the drink in her hand. Hmm- she normally didn't just blurt out what she was thinking like that. Maybe she'd had enough for the night.

Zero

"I see." Tatsu murmured thoughtfully, observing Tara in a whole new light over his wine glass. "People are complicated, but they can be wonderful. I know that life was unbearably lonely before Nellie came into it."

He shrugged his shoulders slightly. It had been a very interesting evening. "Are you growing tired? There is a room available to you. Feel free to use it as long as you like."

DragonSong

Tara's eyes widened slightly and she blinked at him. "Um- really?"

She was getting tired, she had to admit; but while Tatsu had done nothing so far to make her feel as though she was in danger, but that didn't necessarily mean she wasn't. "That's, ah, very kind of you, but I'm not so sure..."

She trailed off, not quite knowing what to say that wouldn't be rude.

Zero

"How many opportunities do you have to stay in luxury accommodations?" Tatsu asked with a somewhat wry smile. He was sadly aware of her concerns. It still boggled him that men could harm women.

"I assure you this is an offer without stipulations. I do not expect anything in return, if you must simply view it as an eccentric fool with too much spare gold spoiling you." He shrugged slightly and emptied his wine glass before setting it aside. "You do not have to accept, of course. Either way, thank you, for the pleasant company. Your presence brought me great enjoyment."