Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Black-Hearth Life

Started by Salzem, September 10, 2016, 01:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salzem

Aeizith walked slowly along the bank, the watery earth freezing beneath his feet with every step he took. It was a place of calm silence that the black dragon enjoyed. It was so peaceful here with the babbling brook on his right and the singing birds of the wood on his left. The young dragon stuffed his hands in the pockets of his heavy jacket as he strolled, thinking. It wasn't of any particular one thing and sometimes, of nothing at all. He just thought; He let his mind work for the sake of working. His mind drifted from one subject to another: his siblings, the world, his duty to his family, the very ground that froze under his boots. Sometimes, he contemplated the nature of his life and what he allowed it to be. He recognizes he's made himself into a servant for his family, he knows he could be superior if he let himself grow a spine and yet, he couldn't find the strength to make a change. Him as a helper was all they ever known and what they've come to appreciate him for. If he were to speak up now with a precedent already in place... Aeizith sighed, releasing a thick cloud of freezing mist in front of him, biting to the touch of others. The blonde-haired kid stopped, squatting down by the river bank, staring at a small cluster of fish milling about the water by the edge. Out of pure curiousity, the dragon reached out a gloved hand to the aquatic creatures and, as his hand touched the surface, the entire cluster was frozen in a neat cube of ice. Aeizith retracted his hand quickly, then raised it above above his head, causing the cube to rise from the water, hovering in front of Aeizith's face, bobbing up and down slightly. He stared into the ice, cocking his head to the side as he observed the slick details of the fish frozen in mid dance. Again, he reached out to touch the ice and, as his gloved hand made contact, the frozen prison collapsed into water once again, sending the fish back into their river with a splash. He looked down at his feet where frost creeped across the grass by his legs and he pondered his power.

ValamLym

Emilia carefully observed her little brother from a distance. Letting him explore a bit, she didn't quite like him running off alone, she had to replace mother as his mother now after all. She wondered if leaving with him and Kaida was a good idea. Electi is perfectly capable of taking care of himself but these two always made her worry. She leaned her head against a local tree, her pale blonde hair rolling down her cheeks, a smile on her lips as she continued to observe her brother.

Eventually, as he lifted the fish from the water she stepped forward. Graceful steps carrying her toward her little brother. She didn't even look at him at first, simply eyeing the frozen fish as he tossed it back into the water. She wondered what was on his mind, what worried him. She could see it, she may not have Electi's powers but she sure as hell could tell when her little brother was feeling a bit down, she finally fixated her gaze on him, her beautiful blue eyes looking at him with a warmth that she'd only give her siblings, before kneeling down extending her hand to rest on his head, another placed upon her lap.

''You know, when I was your age I was wondering about all sorts of things too.. My mind never seemed to pipe down even once.''she chuckled, giving his head a gentle rub ''Electi would poke fun at me, you know? But I knew he always meant well.''

She smirked, retracting her hand from his head. She pondered what to say next. Mom never really taught her how to mom, how to care, but she tried her best in her own way. By simply looking at him she figured he had something swirling in his head, she just couldn't figure out what it was.

''You know that I'm here for you right? If you need to talk. Mother would've been proud of you, you know? I don't think anyone thought you'd show such control over your powers so early.''

She sighed. She was terrible at this. But couldn't help but smile about it, honestly any time spend with her siblings was nice. They were the very few she cared about, if not the only ones.

Salzem

Aeizith froze as he felt the hand of his eldest sister graze his hair before slowly turning around to face her. His eyes met hers for only the very briefest of moments before they fell back down to the ground by his feet, down by the frost coagulating around his heels. Even to his own family he couldn't work up the nerve to look at them. That's just the way he was. Looking people in the eye meant you had strength and power, that you had control. This wasn't anything the dragon possessed. He was a servant, heart and soul. It was the purpose he chose since the moment he could think for himself. He didn't have that special self confidence that made his other siblings leaders and good ones at that.

He nodded without a word as Emilia commented how Electi would always poke fun at her. Yeah... thats how he was too. They all seemed so much closer as Aeizith observed them from a distance. The rest of them all seemed far more like a family without him there to create blockages in their passing of pleasures. In truth, sometimes, when his self-conscious nature had a far too firm grip on his mind, he felt as if he was more of a slave than a sibling. Sometimes, while they are all having their fun, Aeizith would slink away to whatever dark hole he could find to freeze himself to sleep. He just didn't feel like he had the right to be part of something he might end up disrupting, those moments of pleasure between them that they sorely needed.

He smiled faintly as his older sister said that mom would have been proud of him, the grin flickering on his pale white face from a neutral frown to a gentle, hopeful grin. She said that no one would have expected that he would have had control over his power so quickly and, at that, he gave a satisfied sigh, blowing a biting frost cloud from his nose. Swallowing nervously, he'd look up at his older sister, his ice-blue eyes missing her azure orbs by a few inches too low.

"What do you think of me?" Aeizith asked, the smile on his face shaking. "I don't know myself..."

ValamLym

Emilia sighed. She figured this is was what was up. In the past she had been a bit exploitive toward her siblings. Although that now had changed, she couldn't help but partially feel responsible for Aeizith's state right now, she fully sat down, her legs extended in front of her as she gently coiled an arm around her little brother and pulled him close if allowed, a soft sigh passing her lips as she did.

She pondered what to tell him. What -did- she think of him? nothing negative. She knew that. She pondered what he could potentially mean.. eventually concluding it was probably also a bit about his position in the family. She rubbed her cheek against his head, not really caring about his ice related powers. After all, she fully trusted her little brother and he no doubt knew better then to damage that trust.

''You're my precious little brother, of course. I have great expectations of you.''she smiled gently, giving him a peck on his cheek. ''I have a feeling you're not being entirely honest though. Its also about your position isn't it? who you are in the family.''

She sighed. She knew she should have thought up a proper rank for him. After all he now ''looked'' like just a right hand to his brother. But it was honestly because Emilia didn't want him to feel like the common rabble that served her. She coiled her head somewhat, trying to glimpse at him a little, before turning back. ''You know I don't think poorly of you right? You can't disappoint me.''

Salzem

Aiezith felt her cheek rub into his hair, her warmth radiating into his naturally freezing body temperature. Then, slowly, questioningly, Emilia wrapped her arms around the frost dragon, pulling him into a hug. He didn't fight it. He never fought anything unless ordered too, but in this case, he desperately wanted to be hugged. His smile widened just a bit as she said that he was her precious younger sibling. Though, the smile was short lived as she inquired further about his concerns. She asked if this had to do with his position at all, if that was what concerned him. No... that wasn't it. Aiezith wasn't the kind of person who sought power actively and that power defined him as a person. No. It wasn't the position that was the problem. Aeizith hesitated for a moment, freezing in place as he attempted to put his feelings into words. Almost like she sensed his hesitation, Emilia said that she didn't think poorly of him and that he couldn't disappoint her. That cut deeply into whatever kept him from speaking, loosening his lips enough to speak the truth plainly.

"It isn't about what position I'm given... None of that matters to me... Sometimes... when I see you all laughing and enjoying eachother's company... it makes me wonder who am I to intrude... It was because of that I came out here, to a place where I couldn't bother you..."

Blink

As if on cue a man ran past the siblings, blood weeping from his ears. In the distance black smoke could be seen rolling into the sky, undoubtedly from the small mill a distance away.

Kaida appeared from behind the treeline, her face sporting an irritated look. "Why are humans so sensitive? I only wanted to play!" true disappointment could be heard in her tone.

Without any prompting she made her way towards Emilia, curling up next to her. "I need more toys.. the lot I have are useless!". Kaida did not care that she had just interrupted what appeared to be a moment between her sister and Aiezith. In her mind, the issues she was having took priority.

Turning her attention towards her brother Kaida poked him "Aiezith I really think you need to come playing with me sometime. We could have so much fun!" the scene of painting a room in the blood of her toys flashed through her mind. A devilish grin now resting upon her slender face. "Perhaps you could help me redecorate my room!"

All the while the screams of the man that had previously ran past were still heard in the distance.

Jace

He could feel the warmth of the sun on his scales, the wind filling his wings as he rushed through the skies. Various hues of blues and greens stood out vividly below, his draconian eyes picking up every detail for miles around. He was the master of the sky, the apex predator. Up here, his rule was absolute, not that that was much different on the ground among the mortals. A mighty roar was let loose from the crimson dragon's massive jaws, a stream of flames accompanying the sound. It would be heard for hundreds of miles in every direction. Everyone would know that Electi Black-Hearth, High General of the Order of the Black Hearth, Immortal Dragon, was flying above.

He heard screams coming from the ground a few miles to his left, smoke rising from what he knew to be a small mill. Kaida. He knew it was her doing. She liked to play with her food rather than actually eat it. Letting out another tremendous roar, Electi bared left, circling widely around the area until he saw his three siblings along the bank of a river below. He flapped his wings, flying straight up for nearly a mile before pinning them to his body and angling downward directly toward the other dragons on the ground. His massive body blotted out the sun above, creating a shadow that darkened a large portion of the ground below.

Faster and faster he saw the ground rushing up to meet him. To anyone who didn't know the crimson dragon, they would think he would crash straight into the ground. That certainly was not the case. a few hundred feet above the ground, the massive dragon's body began to grow smaller, wings and tail retracting into his body. His head becoming smaller and more round, white-blonde hair growing from the top of his head. The red scales began to fade, turning a pale color that was relative of human skin. Second by second all of the details and appendages that showed him to obviously be a dragon disappeared, replacing themselves with human ones, clothes forming over top of his visage.

Within moments he was gracefully landing on his feet not far from his siblings. He brushed off his clothes and fixed the gold cuff-links he was wearing before running his right hand through his hair and stepping forward to approach the others. His crimson eyes looked upon each for a moment, but finally rested on the youngest of the group. "Didn't I tell you not to play with your food. Where is it anyway? The human you attacked. I heard his screams from above." he said flatly. He looked around but didn't see the prey he assumed would be half eaten by now. The man's screams had already faded, not giving Electi a direction to look.

He returned his gaze to his siblings. His power over emotion letting him sense the discomfort of his brother Aiezith immediately. He could have used his powers to change it to something more pleasant, but he didn't think that would be appropriate, instead choosing to talk to him and find out what was wrong. "Aiezith. What troubles you? I can feel your discomfort. Come, talk to your siblings."

ValamLym

Emilia gently tucked her little brother closer as he spoke, the smell of sulfur filling her nose as she heard a screaming coming closer Kaida.. She smiled, keeping her arm coiled around her little brother before looking at Kaida arrive, a soft smile on her face. ''They are not as powerful as you are, little sister.'' she spoke, an amused tone to her voice. When Kaida sat down, she quickly coiled her other arm around her as well.

She began pondering her little brothers words for a moment. She knew he needed her right now, to say something powerful, to give her little brother confidence. She turned to him, tucking him in closer, her lips against the side of his head as she spoke the single most powerful words she knew to speak ''I love you little brother, no matter what you do no matter what you say. I'm your sister, you just got to trust me and be yourself.'' she smiled ''I prefer you close, not away. I like this a lot more then wondering why you're out on your own.''

She had so far ignored her brother's overly dramatic entrance. Simply giving him a coy look as she pulled her head back for a moment ''Aiezith and I are having a little chat..'' she smiled at her big brother, before turning her head back to her little one.

Salzem

Aeizith nodded silently as his older sister stated he needed to trust in her and learn to be more open, that she wanted him here, with them, rather than out here and far away. He knew thats what he had to do... He DID trust her. With his life and everyone under her charge, he loved her and knew she would do ANYTHING necessary to protect their family. The little frost dragon knew that he needed to be more like his older siblings... He just didn't know how... Before he could confess this fact, He heard his name be called first, by a young girl, running up to him, then by an older male, following closely behind. His younger sister and older brother... Instinctively, he froze again as he turned his neck to see them coming, Kaida with a mischivious look on her face that always melted the ice-dragon's heart, and Electi, his concerned. With three separate people surrounding him, Aeizith's body temperature began to drop again, a thin icy fog appearing to radiate across his body. Yes, they were family and yes, he loved them so very much, but... they were all asking him separate things... telling him to do separate things... It made him freeze up... The ice that grew by his feet now covered his boots without him even realizing it. He tried to calm down, to keep himself from freezing himself solid like he nearly does every time they go out into a human city. He took a deep breath, expelling a large cloud of icy, biting fog, before melting the ice around his legs and turning to face his family.

"Soon...." He promised his little sister, never even able to THINK 'no' to her. "We will have a ton of fun in a bit." Though her idea of fun and his idea of fun were nowhere near the same, he couldn't deny his little sister in any way shape or form. Perhaps it was because he was the older sibling to her. He didn't know, but neither did he care. Then, there was his brother, he who felt perhaps the most intimidating out of all of his siblings. Aeizith could feel his body-temperature drop a tad, but he wouldn't freeze. With Emilia holding him, passing her warmth into him, he could speak for himself.

"Sometimes..." He explained to his brother. "I guess I feel like I'm not good enough to be your sibling... I see you all having fun together and I can't bring myself to interrupt something like that... Something so wonderful..."

Blink

Kaida pouted at her eldest brothers remark. "It's over there somewhere" she half gestured towards a direction to her right. "It's not worthy of consumption. Stupid thing pissed itself within minutes of playtime."

Creating distance between Emilia and Aiezith she stood up and began skipping in the direction of her toy. "Come out, come out wherever you are" her voice, slithering through to wooded area. Walking only a few short moments she found the human cowering behind a tree. "I'll take my time, they need to have 'family talk'."

Reaching down Kaida grabbed the human by the scruff of his hair, dragging him up into a kneeling position before her. "I don't like it when I have to chase!"

Locking her eyes with his she created a fantasy for the human. Birds swarming down and pecking at every inch of his skin. Pathetically, the man began screaming again. Tilting her head to one side Kaida drew in a deep breath. "Your not screaming loud enough for brother to hear!" her voice turning high pitched.

More blood began to pool from the man's ears. His screams turning into blood curdling shrieks.
"That's better..."

Jace

Kaida instantly began to pout at Electi's question. She waved in a direction to her right somewhere before getting up to go look for her prey, leaving him with Emilia and Aiezith. The young ice dragon's answer bothered the eldest of the siblings. He didn't understand how or why his younger brother could feel that way. He was a Black-Hearth just like the rest of them.

"Stop this dribble about feeling unworthy and singled out. You are a Black-Hearth. You are our blood, my blood. You belong here having fun with your family just as much as the rest of us. We love you, have always loved you. Your ice powers are rare and very strong. It's amazing how much control you have over them at such a young age. It took Emilia ages to control hers. And we all know how much you dote on Kaida. She loves you too. You heard her, asking to play. So enough of this nonsense." It was a rough and to the point thing to say, but that's just how Electi was. He knew his worth and those of his siblings. He knew what he thought and wasn't one to beat around the bush about it. "I'm going to find our little sister. Those obnoxiously loud screams are starting to irk me immensely." he said, once the shouts of agony had begun to sound more like a beast gargling on its own blood than anything else.

Leaving the two with those words, he rolled his eyes and turned to walk in the direction of his youngest sister. He didn't have to go far to find her, toying with the thing. "That's enough now. Eat it or kill it, I don't care which. The sounds it's making is beginning to ruin my good mood."

ValamLym

Emilia quietly listened to her brother talk. He wasn't being subtle about it like she was, nor did she think that the current scolding was required, but such was the way of her big brother. She simply comforted Aiezith while Electi spoke, tucking him against her shoulder. She mentally chuckled as he mentioned her powers. Ofcourse, the void was a bit more a pickle then ice, but she was more then willing to set personal pride aside for the moment and simply let Electi get his points across. When he was done speaking she eyed Electi curiously, before noting him wander off.

Eventually Emilia rose to her feet, gently letting go of her little brother and dusting off her legs and dress, dragging a finger over the golden details she was always so obsessed with, before looking down on her little brother, pursing her fangs over her lips for a moment, before finally speaking ''He might put it less... subtle. But Electi is right, you're part of the family and we love you for who you are. So what if you don't enjoy social interaction as much.''She gently rubbed his head with her hand again, clawed fingers against the inside of her own hand as her fingers met his cheek. ''Now why don't you go see what Kaida is up to?'' Emilia snickered.

She eventually strolled over to Kaida and Electi, with her little brother or alone and simply gazed at the two. The screaming didn't seem to bother her at all, in fact it only amused her. ''Let her play.'' she muttered to Electi giving him a coy smile ''I was way worse when I was that age.'' she gently placed her hand on Electi's shoulder, giving it a little rub before letting go again.

''But I do think you should eat it, you look like you haven't eaten in a while.. Kaida.''She turned her gaze back onto her little sister, a soft smile resting on her lips.

Salzem

Aeizith lowered his head and nodded at his older brother's response. he was never the kind of person to give this kind of leway to anyone, to be as soft and gentle as the Emilia was right now. As he went off in search of the distant screams, Aeizith's elder sister placed a hand on his cheek, saying that she, along with the rest of his siblings, loved him for who he really was and that it didn't matter if he didn't like social interactions. Aeizith smiled softly and wrapped his arms around Emilia's midsection, hugging her just as she was him.

"You're right.... You're always right..." the little Frost dragon whispered before pulling away quickly. He followed his elder sibling to where the other two were waiting, standing over a beaten, broken body of a man who couldn't escape Kaida's wrath. He had to admit, the pride his little sister took in her "playing" was very... pleasing to look at. Artistic almost. Aeizith never had that kind of flair for torturing mortals, never had that talent of making them squirm under his superior might like his little sibling. It was one of the things he admired about her. Electi seemed to demand Kaida to shut the mortal up, one way or another, either by death or the devouring of his innards. Maybe he could let Kaida have a little more fun before she had to end him... Elder brother said that it was the noise that was ruining his day. Aeizith could fix that. Raising a gloved hand, frosty mist starting to swirl around the man's head. As the man drew in breath after breath, he sucked in the freezing mist and, as it traveled into his mouth, the frost dragon closed his hand into a fist. Ice crawled from the man's mouth, creating a blockage that reached nearly to the back of his throat. the ice was thick enough so that he was unable to breath from out of the mouth and therefore, couldn't scream. The worst he could do was snort in protest.

"...Have fun..." Aeizith said quietly, glancing at his sister with his head down-cast.

Blink

Before she knew it Kaida was once again surrounded by her siblings. Pouting at Electi and then smiling at Emelia. And of course, there was Aeizith. Stepping away from her prey she clapped her hands at his ice trick.

"You know Aeizith, I feel the art in your trick" she paused. "However, screaming is what makes it fun!"

Turning her head to Electi she stuck her tongue out. "Maybe if you had some imagination brother you could see the beauty in this." she gestured towards the human. "But thanks to you now I am bored again"

Crossing her arms she stomped towards Emelia, resting her head against her sisters side.

"I am bored with it again, make it go away". Her statement confirming that Kaida truly was.. a picky eater.

Kaida believed that only worthy prey should be consumed. This human was far from what she considered 'worthy'.

glorilyss

Eira had been near the mill when Kaida's exploits had begun. It wasn't hard to identify her younger sister; the ear-piercing shrieks were calling card enough. Her first instinct had been to follow, to ravage and destroy, but that was the beast in her, and Eira had had long enough to control those impulses. They were destructive, negative, evil. It only took a few minutes wrapped in thick vines of chamomile to calm her down enough to reach into her human side, grasping for the humanity that set her so far apart from her siblings. And then, of course, it was time to find them.

The glittering dragon burst forth from the foliage, green scales shimmering against the wooded backdrop, wings flexing and trimming to bring her constantly nearer the citadel in the mountains. Her senses were always sharper as a dragon, and finding their exact place of rest wasn't hard; it was controlling the building fury that was. Though Eira only rarely shifted into her draconian form, the uses for traveling were undeniable; she may not have been as large as her siblings, but leathery wings beat legs any day.

As she circled nearer, the cat-like serpent tucked her head, long neck curling in until she had flipped in mid-air. Her body shifted instantly, long nights spent honing the accuracy of her changing evident in the grace and beauty of her shift. A few feet from the ground, the glittering maiden landed lightly, blonde hair streaming as she sprinted through the woods. Maybe she could save him.

She burst into the small clearing, hazel eyes spitting fury. "Stop!" she spat, left hand flitting to her throat and encircling the amber gem that hung there. Deep green vines burst from the earth, reaching toward her right hand and sprouting tiny white flowers in the process. She flung her hand outward, the vines' growth accelerating to streak toward the man, wrapping him up and pulling him toward her. Still the picture of an avenging angel, the girl in the white shift took another step forward. "Is it impossible for any of you to have compassion?" she nearly snarled, her typically sweet nature forgotten. Eira hated to be among people, but when she was, she was kind. That rarely seemed to surface around her family.

Jace

Emilia and Aeizith soon arrived behind Electi, both of which catered to their younger sister's method much more than he did. Memories of a four thousand year old Emilia flashed through his mind at her words. She was very much like Kaida at that age indeed. He was always chasing her around trying to teach her that it wasn't appropriate to play with her food so much before she ate it.

His mind was returned to the current scene by a chill sent swiftly through the air. Aeizith had used his frost powers to stop the bloody screaming that Electi had thought to be irksome. He was very impressed with his brother's handiwork indeed. He had used such a degree of control that the inside of the mortal's throat was clearly coated in ice, yet he was still completely alive. Though the crimson dragon would not exactly say it was in one piece. Still, the screams had stopped and that was his only objection to his sister's plaything.

"Very well. I no longer have any complaints about it." he said in reaction to his brother's ice trick. Then of course his spoiled sister decided that her food was no longer interesting without the screams. Electi rolled his eyes and sighed at Kaida's 'order' to make it go away. "Aeizith. Get rid of it will you. And try not to make a me-"

The eldest Black-Hearth's words were cut off by another's appearance. Vines grew forth rapidly, entwining themselves around the mortal and snatching him from within the siblings, pulling towards the clearly angry woman standing before the siblings. Eira. "Hello dear sister. What a pleasant surprise." said the male, a charming smile appearing on his face. "To what do we owe the pleasure?" he asked, his eyes glancing over to catch Aeizith's before returning to his sister.

ValamLym

Emilia quietly embraced her little sister with ome arm as she stomped over, a soft smile on her lips as she caressed Kaida with her fingers. She didn't immediatly respond to her demand but when she did Electi already responded. Turning to her little brother she nodded approvingly.

However the calmth was soon disrupted by none other then her other little sister, Eidra. She sighed as Eidra exclaimed her demands and foul mouthed them. She seemed relatively un-moved by it and simply smiled at her sister.

"If it isnt my extremely melodramatic sister. I see your dragon form is still used despite your supposed devotion to being a 'real human'"

She snickered quietly, continueing to caress Kaida as she did. Simply enjoying the proximity and scent of her precious little sister. She then turned to her little brother again waiting to see what he would do.

Salzem

Aeizith looked at his Elder brother in surprise as he asked HIM to be the one to finish him the man off. He looked from the dying, choking man on the ground, then back to his brother before slowly raising a hand in the direction of the human, getting ready to finish him off as per his brother's instruction. Before he could however, another dragon swooped out of the forest, transforming in the air before coming down and scooping the poor dying man up in her arms. It was his older sister Eira.She snapped at all of them, making Aeizith flinch slightly, but his other siblings didn't seem nearly as rustled. In fact, the most discomfort his siblings seemed to exibit was a slight annoyance that she showed up at all. He frowned slightly at his older sister, though not in the way his family expressed it. His was one of apology, apology for what he had to do.

"I have mercy..." The young drake said, a twinge of guilt in his voice. Aeizith quickly extended his arm once again, flexing his fingers so that they all pointed straight out. A moment later, the body Eira held began to twitch and convulse as the ice rushed out of the man's mouth and over his chin, his eyes, his nose and forehead. It proceeded to climb over his entire body, wrapping it in a perfect cacoon of cold. It was the exact shape of the man's body, the only red being from the open wounds on his person. Then, the body began to shake... It quaked and shivered, soon becoming violent in her arms, but as stiff as any board. Aeizith clenched his fist, causing a massive crack to arc across the man's midsection. Then, the cocoon shattered and nothing was inside but ice. Red bloody ice. Aeizith had frozen the man so completely he was nothing but Ice. He didn't smile or laugh as he ended that man's existence, nor did he mock his sister for defending it. The frost dragon pulled the hood of his jacket over his head, the shadow now obscuring the upper part of his face.

"Its done..." He whispered to his brother.

Blink

Kaida laughed at her brothers trick, clapping her hands in pure excitement. "Well done!" she commended. "I could not think of a better way to dispose of useless prey." Kaida eyed her other sister Eira while making the comment.

Leaving Emilia's side Kaida took a few steps towards her other sister, crossing her arms over her chest. Looking her up and down she judged everything about her.

Although Kaida would not admit it, she was truly hurt by her sisters way of thinking. Kaida could not even begin to understand why someone would not want to relish in their lifestyle. It was just.... too much fun.

Listening to her other siblings greet Eira, Kaida turned a blind eye. She had nothing to say to her, nothing nice anyways. Kaida leaned down and picked up a red chunk of ice that was once the mans body. Taking a lick she turned on her foot back over to Emilia.

At least she knew Emilia would never leave her... not like Eira did.

glorilyss

[OoC: Oh god sorry this is long]

Eira dropped to her knees, slender arms encircling the half-dead man, tears already blurring her eyes in a potent mixture of fury and empathy. Of course, that had always been her problem, at least from a dragon's standpoint. Too sympathetic. She'd always been the most human of her little Clan, and had anyone ever let her forget it? Certainly not her mother, with her exasperation; never her father, with his eyes that were stuck somewhere between disappointment and disgust whenever he beheld her. She'd never been one of the treasured children, never been a model of animal ferocity and predatory excellence. It had been partly that which had forced her out of the fold; she'd wanted everyone's approval, but known that by gaining it, she'd be sacrificing her own. It had always been too high a price; she never regretted not paying it, just regretted the fact that she'd ever had to.

Even still, it was hard not to hate her family. They didn't see their actions as right or wrong, because they simply were. The lion does not tarry over the killing of the gazelle; she kills and eats, because that is life. Eira knew it was the same for her siblings, for her parents, even with Kaida's childish ploys, her older sister's steadfast leadership, her eldest brother's innate manipulation. She hardly knew her own little brother, but she knew that surely there was something instinctive in his killings, too. They were dragons. Dragons ate humans - usually. She couldn't hate them for who they were, and it was a waste of time to wish they would change when she knew they never would, probably couldn't.

But that didn't make it right, surely?

Still cradling the poor, broken man, Eira's head snapped up toward her siblings. Her brother spoke first, but Emilia's words were far more cutting. Probably because they were true. Words leapt to her tongue, instantly repressed; she knew her sister well enough to remember that a sarcastic remark would only make things worse, even if her disobedient nature raged against her logical side.  Instead, she flicked her eyes back to Electi right before a desperate cold sank into her chest. She had only a moment to watch her younger brother's face twist into something almost like sympathy, an apology to her etched into the grimace on lips, before the deep chill wrapped itself around her heart and squeezed. Of course, Aeizith wasn't attacking her, but when you touch the coldest ice, you still get burned.

The man in her arms hardened, never even making a sound. She dropped her face, pathetically human tears dripping onto his frozen cheek and solidifying instantly. The ice bit at her arms, and though she struggled to push her healing magic into the hardening form, she knew it was helpless. You can't heal the dead, and this man could be nothing else. She could only draw in a shuddering breath, a single hand flitting to her cheeks to rub the betraying weakness away roughly. Fool. Stupid little fool.

"I came to do damage control," she replied to her brother, biting the words out as she lifted her face. "You can't expect to keep destroying towns and killing innocent people without drawing attention to yourselves. You're strong, but dragon hunters still exist, Electi. You're jeopardizing everyone's safety." It was the only way she knew to fight, appealing to his sense of reason. Turning to Emilia, she stood slowly, absently rubbing at her still-cold arms. "What if one of them caught one of you? No one knows I'm.... like this," the words grated past her teeth, even as she rebelled against them inside, "But you're all going to get found out. There's whispers out there, you know. Dragons aren't just a fairytale to everyone." She half-turned away, feeling her gut churn at her young sister's actions to the bloody ice. Part of her was disgusted; part of her was actually hungry. Gods above and below, she hated herself.