Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The meeting ( Salzem)

Started by Ice, September 17, 2016, 05:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice

It was just becoming mid day as a lone creature made his way towards a local village. He did not quite know what he wanted to do once he got there but he knew that he needed more to join his following. He wanted to bring his evil master back from his grave. However he knew that not many shared his evil views. He laughed to himself wherever he heard then telling him that he would never make it. He would prove to them that they were terribly mistaken. He would bring this world to its knees.

As he moved along the path he started to hum a quiet song to himself. It was a chilling tune that would scare most if he sang the actual words. Though his voice was not designed for singing. He now looked around as he tried to figure out anouther direction. There was anouther path in the road. He did not know such would lead him in to the town.

Then something made him pause. He had the feeling that he being watched by someone. Or something. He turned looking around with his orangish purple eyes. " Come out who ever you are. I don't like to watched. " He said with a soft tone to his voice. He did not want to scare off a potential follower.

Salzem

Demagogue smiled sweetly as the man finally recognized his presence. He had been following this poor excuse of a mortal from the shadows for hours now and it was only just here that he started to detect his presence. How very... hospitable of him to keep the demon waiting. Suddenly, the man would jerk into the air, hung in suspension as the demon stepped out of the darkness, skeletal mouth in a wide grin. Out of the black stepped a tall 7 foot skeleton with a pointed tip hat, leather jacket, sweat pants and boots. In the darkness of his eye sockets, the man could see two lights glowing pleasantly in the night around them. Instead of teeth, spikes jutted up from the demon's jaw as if they were carved from the bone rather than connected. The demon stared up at the man hanging in suspension before grinning pleasantly and tipping his hat in greeting, the bones of his jaw twisting and contorting as if it were flesh.

"Howdy!" He said, observing the man as if he were doing some sort of circus act. "You... uh... seem like you need a bit of help there..." Demagogue waved a pointer finger at the man hanging in suspension. It was so amusing to watch mortals squirm... Adorable really. He could see why they enjoyed putting each other on the spot, then laughing about it later with their compatriots. The demon's eyes glowed brightly in their sockets, excited.

"I can help you out... for a little favor."

Ice

As he looked for whoever was following him. He gave a surprised yell when he was suddenly jerked in to the air. He had to wonder what was going on here. It was then that he saw the large creature stepping out of the shadows. He kind of wondered what it was he was looking at now. The creature before him was an odd looking creature. He frowned as he tried to wiggle away from him. He wanted out of here now.

He stopped when he found that he could not get away from the creature. He did not like a being in a helpless position. He then heard what he said to him. He wondered what he could possibly offer such a creature" you should know because I'm sure you caused this. " Joss said to him with a soft tone still. Then he added . " What kind of favor do you want?" He asked him now.  He was partially curious at the moment.

" Also I would like to what you are exactly?" He asked with a frown. He wanted to know what he was fadeing right now. That way he would know how to defeat him if he could.

Salzem

"Well now... Isn't that rude?" Demagogue chastised, shaking his head with a knowing grin. "Asking what I am before even asking my name? What do mortals teach their young these days?" The demon raised the upper portion of his eye socket as if it were an eyebrow and the man floated higher into the sky. He was watched as the man squirmed him his grip, his smile widening.

"What I am is of no real importance to you at this point in time. What does matter, my friend, is that you are hanging a dangerous distance from the ground. If you were to fall before I'm able to help well... lets just say I'll have a mess to clean up later." The demon's eye socket compressed in a motion similar to a fleshy being's wink expression. Suddenly, the man would jolt downward, tilting head first towards the earth, seemingly ready to impact with the ground before he came to a sudden halt, his head mere inches from splattering across the muddy path. The demon simply shrugged.

"But I was never one to clean up after my self anyway..." With a tilt of Demagogue's head, the stranger's body tilted upright again. "What I want is very simple, its nothing you couldn't do in your sleep." The demon cleared his thought, despite him having no throat to clear. "Lets just hope you have a skewed moral compass, hmm? You see, down there in that little village, there hasn't been a child born in hundreds of years. The only reason it lasted as long as it has is because new settlers keep revitalizing it's decaying little form. There hasn't been a child born... until a month ago." The demon looked up at the man, the lights in his sockets completely gone, leaving a pair of ominous black sockets. His smile curved wider around his face, a sinister, knowing grin that made his intentions clear.

"Do you see where I'm going with this, my captured compatriot? The child must die..."

Ice

Joss cocked his head at the creature words. He knew that it was also rude to go and make someone hang in mid air too.  However he remained quite as he watched the creature. He was sure that he did not have very good intentions in mind. Though that was no bother to joss . He was exactly the most noble creature in the world himself.

His eyes widened As he heard what was being said next. Then he was jolted straight down head first. He cringed a started to try to get for his life." No no please don't." He said crigeing as he go ready for the impact. But then he stopped just before he hit the ground. He opened his eyes and blinked. This creatures was playing a sick mind game with him. Or his pleading had worked. Though he found out that it was neither one.

He listened as he continued talking. He gave an evil looking smile as he told him what he wanted him to do. Oh he had no problems with killing children. Though he kind of wondered what he would do if joss failed to do this. So he dared to ask him.

" Well to be honest I don't really mind killing children. However I must ask you something. Say I try to do this but fail. Would you kill me? Or would punish me? Or just let me go?" He asked in that same soft tone. He was happy to do this but he wanted to know if it had options here. Or if it was a simple do this or die kind of thing . He was pretty sure he knew the answer though.

Salzem

The Demon grinned widely at the man's questions, the lights bursting back to life in his sockets. Demagogue snapped his fingers and the man landed on the ground again, safe and sound.

"If you fail, oh well! There is no binding agreement between us, we didn't shake on it, make a bet, anything like that. Unlike those other mortals who would sell their souls for the tiniest of favors, an agreement that would bind them fully and completely via ancient magics or whatever, I am just asking you as a friend. A passing stranger who has a task that needs to get done! If you can't get the job done, thats perfectly fine! I'll finish it up myself! You can just walk right out of here and never come back and nothing will happen to you in the near future." Demagogue smiled sympathetically.

"However, if you DO just walk out of here without even attempting what I ask, I'll have to do the whole debacle myself. If you leave me to do such a.... inconvenient task myself, I'll be just a little bit..." The demon's eyes glowed with an unholy darkness, absorbing the lights that once sat in the center. "...absolutely livid...." In that instant, The demon would vanish, reappearing behind the man with a skeletal hand on his shoulder and a warm, friendly grin on his face.

"So all I ask is that you give it a try, my good man. They're just villagers.... uh...." Demagogue sped through the next words. "Armed to the teeth with weapons because they believe this baby is a holy child." The skeleton but a clenched fist to his teeth and cleared his throat despite not having one. "Care to help a fella out?"

Ice

Joss was relieved when he was safely back on the ground. He listened as the demon spoke. He knew there was a catch to what he was saying. Most everyone had their agendas. That was simply how the world worked. Nothing was ever free ideas it ever easy. That was the reason that those like himself had no choice but to fight . And he himself had no choice but to when his battles . He wasn't a powerful creature for nothing.

Then said catch was revealed to him. He had to already try to do what this monster wanted him to do. He got the feeling that he did not want to be on the monster bad side. " Okay I get the point. No need to demonstrate right?" He asked nervously. This was a creature that Joss did not want to be messing with. 

He then frowned at what was said next. Those that lived in the village were armed . Heavily at that. Well he really did not want to be killed. However if he refused he knew that there would be conciseness. He took a deep breath and frowned. The creature seemed to be clearing his throat alot. Though he didn't know how since skeletons did not have a throat in the first place.

" Okay well I will do this for you. However if I think that I'm going to die at any point then I am leaving." He said his voice carrying a darker note to it. Joss was from the same place as the demon. However his kind were not highly regarded in that realm. That was why he kept his face covered with his hood. So that others would not know what he was.

Salzem

"By all means!" Demagogue explained as the man agreed, stating his terms. "Of course, it might never come to that. Those people down there couldn't tell a pitchfork from a crossbow bolt." The demon leaned in close, as if to tell a secret he wanted no one else to hear. "Trust me. Watching these little people learn how to swing a sword so they don't cut themselves gets really boring after a while... Its even worse when new people show up and the whole thing starts all over again." Demagogue followed close behind as they continued down the path towards the village. However, as they reach the border of the village, the demon placed a skeletal hand on the man's shoulder, gripping it tightly so he knows to stop.

"If anyone asks..." He said in a serious whisper. "I am your summoned familiar. I am here for your own protection. Nothing more, nothing less. Are. We. Clear?" If the man would nod in understanding, The demon would let go of his arm and allow him to progress. Obviously, this meant more to the demon than he was letting him know. Demagogue secretly feared that this child was, indeed, holy and, in this long con of his, this child might grow to be a massive hole in his plots. He could not allow this. As they stepped into the village, many people immediately took notice of Demagogue, the demon smiling and waving merrily at the people as if he were a a diva or something greeting his fans. They wouldn't get far into the village before a group of 4 or 5 armed men approached them, standing in their way. They were large, but didn't have the confidence that normally came with their size. Each had a sharpened pitchfork, weapons that could easily tear through mortal flesh like the hay they were designed for. Must have been farmers conscripted into this whole charade they called a militia. How badly the demon wanted to do the talking but, as the summoned familiar, he had to let the man take center stage. He was just here for protection right?

Ice

Joss almost laughed when he heard the demon comment now. Well to him that was just rather funny and a little pathic to be honest. He grinned flicking his young across his gang filled beak. You see under the hood he was very much bird like. Though he was very good at hiding this fact . " Hehe then that is very good indeed." He said to him now.  He then walked leading them off to the village.  Joss wasn't the fastest Walker in the world as he may have noticed by now. Though they did make it to the village. He stopped instantly as he felt the hand on his shoulder.

He carefully listened to what he was being told now. After the demon was done speaking he gave a nod. He figured that it might cause a scene if they knew that the creature was evil or something. Joss though wasn't the smartest creature in the world. He really hoped he would not make a mistake . He tried not giggle at the way the creature greeted the starring people .

When they were stopped by the men. He looked at them as he thought about what he should say now. He knew that he should do the talking now.  One of the men then spoke to him now. " What are doing here with that thing? " He asked.

Joss just smiled softly. " I am just a traveling spellcaster. He's my familiar . He's just here to make sure I am safe." He said speaking with a tone that was very convincing and friendly.

Salzem

Demagogue managed to hold the tongue he didn't have as the man did the talking. He smiled through his mask at the bulky farmers, claiming the skeleton was just his familiar as he was told. The men, however, didn't look convinced. However, unlike most trained guards would would immediately push them both against a wall, demanding they surrender for questioning, those men shifted from foot to foot, looking among each other as if they were searching for some group consensus as to what to do. Demagogue smirked at they're stupidity. Stupid villagers trying to be bigger men then they had any right to be... They deserved nothing more than a quick death. Demagogue normally would have went with a slow, painful, agonizing end, but he was starting to get hungry and his patience was wearing thin. The kid's soul was calling to him, its power and flavor both obvious and succulent. He must have it. One of the farmers noticed the skeleton's mocking grin and he frowned, staring right into his sockets with fireballs in his eyes. Apparently he held something against demons, or, at the very least, undead of his particular persuasion. Demagogue's eyes flicked down to his hands as the farmer tightened his grip on his pitchfork. Suddenly, without warning, the man marched over, pushing the "traveling spellcaster" out of his way before plunging his fork into Demagogue's rib cage. The skeleton looked down as the fork went right through up to the handle where the farmer's hands gripped it and he the skeleton smiled.

"Do you not know anything about familiar's mortal?" Demagogue asked. "We cannot be killed unless our master is himself. Its sad really... If you don't get your weapon out of my chest, I'll make sure the family you go home too is one of mutilated corpses!" Of course, this all he said were empty threats and lies. Stupid human farmers... dumb enough to believe a corn cob was a steak if you told him it was. The man jumped back, wrenching his fork from Demagogue's chest and standing clear of the pair. If the "traveling spell caster" would lead, they would proceed into the village, but not before Demagogue would give the group the most sinister of grins, the lights completely vacant from his sockets.

Ice

Joss frowned when it seemed that he wasn't very convincing. Really though he had little experience in the art of conning others unless it came to changing their faith to his. That he had learned to do very very well. Joss could tell though that the creature wasn't kidding when he said there's people weren't that bright. It was almost enough to make him laugh. Though he had learned long ago that the stupid ones could prove to be dangerous. Most of the time that only applied to themselves though. Still it was better to be cautious then dead.

He saw the way the one man looked at the demon. All he thought was that if he did kill the demon then he would not really have to worry about doing this task anymore. As he was shoved aside it seemed that the man intended to do just that. Though he did not succeed. Joss frowned at the evil sounding threat. It seemed that the man feared he would go through with it. Joss rather doubted he would though. Already not right now.

Now that the men were no longer a problem he lead the way into the village. as they got there they got every more looks and a few gasps. He paused wondering where it was that he was supposed to be heading. He gave a silent glance to the demon as if to ask just that.

Salzem

Demagogue adjusted his coat, taking his time to brush the dust off his favorite article of clothing before nodding in the direction of the local church. It was obviously the only place one would leave a holy child, right? On an alter to be baptized in the light of the lord or whatever these stupid people worshiped? In truth, the skeleton had absolutely no idea where this child could be, but he had been studying these people for a long time and used most of it to examine their behavior. Several times he had watched them go in and out of the place of worship with the child, praising it in their most disgusting way possible: Kisses and over-saturated compliments that made the souls in Demagogue's non-existent stomach turn. What a relish it will be to rip the kid's spine from his back and make it into his new belt... Maybe he would use the kid's teeth too. He always needed new alchemical agents in his experiments. Holy-god-child teeth? That's sure to be potent. As will the blood. Might even be the base for his labor. Maybe he'd save some to drink, even though it wouldn't go anywhere. The demon silently plotted the brutal details as they came to the massive oaken doors of the church.

"Makes sense they would keep the child in there, aye?" Demagogue whispered, gesturing at the massive building. "Chances are they armed the priests too. Remember, if we kill them, they are martyrs and martyrs make my job harder. I can't bring back the dead.... if they're brutalized. Do try to be careful." With that, Demagogue pushed the massive door open before making way for his supposed "master." If the man would enter, the skeleton would follow close behind, noting that there wasn't 10 or 20 guards here... There was but one priest in their typical garbs, praying before an empty, almost ancient alter. The skeleton smiled, confused in every sense of the word. As if detecting their presence, the man stood, slowly turning to face them. He was old, but not disgustingly so. Perhaps mid 40's to 50's. He smiled at the two of them pleasantly. Demagogue smiled back, though his confusion was evident.

"Good afternoon my sons..." The priest bowed graciously. "We don't receive many 'traveling spell casters' these days..." Demagoge's eyes widened as the church door slammed shut behind them, sending the noise bouncing seemingly endlessly off the acoustic architecture of the 'lord's domain.' For once, the demon was not smiling, a very rare thing indeed.

"Come..." The man smiled, gesturing to the many seats in place for sermons. "Take a seat... I was just about ready to begin a prayer..."

Ice

Joss nodded and walked in the direction of the church. He had not really thought of looking there. Joss though wasn't the brightest creature in the world. He did not like holey places. As an evil priest he basically respersented  the exact opposite of what most churches believed.  Though he did not say anything to the demon about this. He just walked sliently feeling very nervous right now.

As they got to the church he gave a frown. Suddenly he wasn't feeling very brave. He wanted away from this place as soon as possible. He heard what the creature said. He looked at him and gave a nod. " That's understood" he said in a slightly unsure voice. He then entered through the opened door. He was just as confused as the demon was at seeing just one man. Even more so when said man seemed to already know of thier presence. Something was not right here.

As the door slammed shut he found himself wishing that he had not come here. He got the bad feeling that they were in trouble. He kind of backed up not certain what he should do. He really really wanted to run away at this point. However he just kind of stared then glanced to the demon with a concern look on his face.

Salzem

Demagogue could feel the magic in the air... it was infused into the floors, the ceiling, the walls... not one splinter of wood or pebble of stone wasn't infused with some amount of magic. In fact, if someone were to hit the demon with this amount of power, they could do some considerable damage. Granted, he would likely be able to get away, but it was damage nonetheless. The old man noticed the skeleton's frown and he smiled. It wasn't insulting, rather, it was reassuring, as if he believed a soul-sucking monster like Demagogue could be saved. It didn't matter the man's intentions. The smile he gave was insulting to the demon and he would not stand for it. He extended an arm, intent on pulling the old fart's throat out of his neck but his magic seemed to slip right off his flesh. Demagogue looked at his hands, confused before reaching out again, drawing on more of his magic to rip the man apart but again, it was like the priest was coated in some kind of magical soap. His power..... wouldn't..... stick....

I'm afraid magic won't do you any good here... He said with a slight chuckle, as if he knew why Demagogue was reaching out to him. The demon glared murder at the priest but he only smiled kindly in response. He hated priests. He hated them so much with their self righteous causes and their stupid beliefs in people's virtues. When Demagogue extracts his soul from his corpse, he won't just swallow it, he's going to torture it, rip it asunder so the priest could see how useful his god was.

"Old man." Demagogue spat, bitter he was pulled into this trap. "Whatever power you're generating that negates mine, shut it down now." The priest smiled confused. As if he didn't know...

What ever do you mean my child? Power I'm generating? This gift comes directly from god.

Ice

Joss was now frowning as he observed what was going on. He had absolutely no intention of trying to engage in a fight with this man. He could send after all that the monster near him could not use his magic. So how's had concluded to himself that he stood no chance of doing so himself. So he had to ponder what the heck he could do. Besides runaway though he doubted he could do that at this point.

He looked straight up wondering what he should do. He then looked to the priest and back to the creature. Hum what could be done to help. He had weapons but had been told not to hurt the priest too badly. So he really was left with a delema . Though he did know that he should try to do something. Or maybe he should stand there and look stupid. Well that wasn't really anything new for him.

He did know one thing though. God would not be able to help this man if the creature ever got the upper hand. Joss could not help but smirk under his robe at that. Though the smirk did not last long. He was very aware that they were in a lot of trouble. Maybe it wasn't smart of them to go into a church. He thought so atleast.

Salzem

Demagogue's frustration only grew as the man's ignorance and the human's lack of action continued. The spikes that were his teeth grated together angrily before he ripped a brass candle-stick off the wall with a loud 'ptaang', causing the wax to fall onto the ground and the fire to go out.

"You." The skeleton said, looking at his supposed master. "You may kill this one. Make it quick and painful." He spoke in a pleasant, yet sinister tone as if he were a torturer who was discussing all the different ways to kill a person with his subject. The Priest seemed completely content with himself, despite him easily overhearing Demagogue's command. It was as if he didn't fear death in the least, as if the concept of nonexistence meant nothing to him, as if.... he were immortal. Demagogue didn't come to this conclusion as he closed on the man with speeds only a metahuman could match. He smacked the old priest on his temple with the base of the stick, blood and skin flayed from his bone as his skull cracked against the metal. As the old man he was, the priest crumpled to the floor, un-moving, not breathing. Demagogue wasn't done though. He smashed the priest's skull with the stick over and over and once the head was reduced to paste, he worked at the chest, slamming it into his body until the base of the metal bent and fell off, hitting the floor loudly at his feet. The Demon waited for a yellowish orb to rise from the body, his soul, but nothing came. 1 minute. 2 minutes. Nothing. Suddenly, Demagogue saw the light in the church dim as one of the 12 candles that lined the stone walls went out. What... why.... The demon looked back down where the priest had fallen to find there was no body, just a splattering of blood and trace bits of brain matter. His frown deepened, a chill running up his backbone. From out of the shadows near the entrance to the church, the priest stepped out apparently unharmed, clapping his hands in an almost mocking display of admiration.

Very good, my children... He said before reaching into his exceedingly large robe sleeve, pulling out a twisted, curved dagger too cruel to have been made by a holy church. Those fanatics had a sense of divine craftsmanship after all. No... If Demagogue didn't know better, the weapon was almost demonic. If he had skin, the demon would have had goosebumps.

You're very strong indeed... Shall I see how durable you are now? Demagogue's eyes faded to black as he heard these words. He was unarmed, without magic and in a room with an immortal priest with an unholy weapon. He turned his head in the direction of his 'master'.

"Kill him!" He commanded.

Ice

Joss flinched when the creature ripped a candle holder from the wall. He frowned when he was told to kill the priest. Which he would have done if the creature had not whent to do that himself. He shifted as he watched him entirely mutilate the man. Well it seemed that the creature had taken care of the problem his own self. 

Then something happened that make joss think for a second. One of the candles on. The wall whent out. Then the body of the priest disappeared. He frowned as he tried to figure out what was going on. He noted that the priest had come back to life.  Joss just frowned slightly knowing that this priest wasn't a human at all. Maybe he was some sort of higher being. 

His thoughts though were interrupted by the demon telling him to kill the priest. He really did not want to fight him. However he really did not wish to die either.  He drew out one of his own daggers. It was simple looking thing to be honest. There was one difference. It was made out of metal that was very had to bend or break.

He then moved to try to attack the man with the dagger. He wasn't really sure though how much damage he would be able to do to such a man. H e would give it a good try though