Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Be Found

Started by DragonSong, February 10, 2017, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@KingTyrant

If she had to live trapped inside, she supposed the castle was nice enough. It had wide corridors, vaulted ceilings, and grand rooms that looked like they existed simply for show.

Nice enough, but she hated it.

Anoria ducked her head as she made her way through the halls, keeping the cap she'd stolen pulled down tight over her slightly pointed ears. Her glamour may have helped her appear human, but she'd rather avoid as much attention as possible, for as long as she could.

The trouble was, the castle had far too many turns and stairwells. She knew she was looking for someone in particular, someone the humans called a "king", but she had no idea where to find him.

KingTyrant

Viktor Di'Veera was asleep most days at around this time, when the sun was beginning to disappear over the rolling, green hills of Serendipity. His duties would not allow him to stay awake any longer than that. His schedule had him awake at the crack of dawn, constantly monitoring foreign relations and trade, which in itself could put a man to sleep. It was work like that which consumed the good king's life. Still, he did not complain. It beat the constant fear of death he felt as a general.

In fact, most servants of the king were asleep when he was. In a way, that would make the task of getting into the mighty castle quite easy for the fae. Still... When the king slept, security thickened. The halls and corridors swarmed with guards, who wielded torches which illuminated every corner and crevice that came within range. This being, with her bright hair and complexion, would have quite a hard time escaping those lights whose only purpose was to sniff out intruders.

As she made her way through the halls, creeping about as she searched for her target, one of those loyal castle guards just happened to be rounding the corner right ahead of her. As she came within view, his torch lighting up her cloaked figure, his eyes widened. He shakily reached for his shortsword, pulling it from its sheathe and gripping the handle tightly. "Who goes there!? Stop where you are!" He demanded, gritting his teeth.

DragonSong

Anoria froze, startled, and slowly turned to face the owner of the voice. She kept her head lowered subserviently and made her voice quiver a bit as she squeaked, "P-pardon, sir, I was just- I'm new, see, and I was on my way to the kitchens, but I seems to have gotten m'self lost."

Her accent was thick, clearly of the lower districts of Arca, and nearly flawless in its mimicry. She tried to make herself appear smaller, hunching her shoulders and ducking her eyes.

KingTyrant

As she hunched herself over, the guard raised a brow, frowning slightly in pity for his own actions towards the poor girl. It didn't take many book smarts to be a guard, and this man was clear evidence of that. Sheathing his sword, he walked over to her and took her by the arm gently, smiling. "Here... Allow me to lead you to the kitchen, m'lady." He said soothingly, walking off with her. He didn't seem to take into account that with how late it was, servants, let alone new arrivals would probably be sleeping at this time, rather than going to the kitchen. Still, expecting this type of insight from a guard would be expecting too much.

The two seemed to be walking for awhile. Down wide, empty corridors with the same flickering torches, which winded to and fro, and led into various rooms and such. Along the way, the guard stopped at a balcony that overlooked a waterfall which the castle sat beside, one of the king's favorite areas. And there he was, standing in the moonlight in his signiture emerald tunic, his blonde hair neatly brushed and his hands clasped behind his back. He reached over to the railing, where he picked up a cup of tea, taking a small sip. The guard, walking over with the girl, touched him on the shoulder. "Your majesty... What are you doing up at such hours?" He asked, the king turning to him with raised brows.

It was here that the king displayed his bushy beard and aged, yet wise features, a singlebraid hanging at the side of his face. He looked from the guard to the girl, his eyes lingering on her. Almost as if he saw something peculiar. Something suspicious. "I'm just having a breath of fresh air. A late night drink, as well. Would you like some tea, lad? How about your... Friend?" He narrowed his eyes at him. The guard's own eyes widened as he shook his head. "Oh, no, sir! You see... She's one of the new servants." He explained. The king just gave a single nod, slowly turning to her. "New servant, eh...? What's your name?" He asked her, taking another sip of his tea.

DragonSong

She glanced up, feigning shyness, and smiled at the guard softly. "Thank ya, sir. That's very kind," she murmured. She had to resist the urge to magick him, or perhaps simply slap him, when he took her arm.

It wasn't as though he was being overly forward, exactly. She just couldn't stand the feeling of human contact.

Magic flared to life in her veins as the guard suddenly steered her toward the man on the balcony. Majesty.

That was how they referred to their leaders, wasn't it?

Her skin tingled, her glamour threatening to fade with every moment. She kept her head lowered, nervous in earnest now. She was afraid if she met the man's eyes, she'd lose her tenuous control over her magic.

"Anoria," she whispered when he asked her name, eyes fixed on her feet. The scars between her shoulders ached.

KingTyrant

The king raised a brow as he noticed her nervous state, not even willing to look him in the eyes, as it appeared. Most servants knew better, even though he wasn't a man to punish the help. He may have laid a move or two on a few in his time, but he'd never harm one. "Miss... I don't bite." He said softly, chuckling in clear amusement at the situation.

He crouched, mostly so he could see her face. He held out a hand for her to shake. "I'm Viktor. Feel freee to refer to me however you like. Leige, Majesty... Any fancy title will do. Though... Viktor's fine too. Not the most respectful, but eh, I'm not too strict about manners." It was true. He wasn't like some of these pampered Serenians, who always needed to walk with perfect, straight posture and eat with a napkin in their shirts...

"Now... Be honest with me for a little while." His expression turned stern. "You aren't really a servant here, are you?" He asked, as calm as he had been since the start. It was fairly obvious. This late at night, why would a new servant just be wandering the halls? Servants had a curfew. Also, most new servants came during the day, and had a tour of the castle beforehand. If she needed to go to the kitchen for whatever reason, she should've been able to find it. This whole scenario was fishy from the beginning.

Glancing at the guard, Viktor noticed the shock on his face. Had the king seen something he hadn't? This clear rouse set up by the uninvited guest made his blood boil, but as he reached for his sword's hilt, the king stopped him with an open hand and a shake of his head. Looking back at her, he huffed. "Look... I'm not angry. I'd just like to know what needed my audience so badly. Unless... You were looking to slice my throat?"

DragonSong

Anoria took his hand gently. Her touch was like air, like water, fluid and slightly chilled. She raised her eyes.

Her glamour fell away and she smiled.

No point in keeping up appearances anymore, it seemed.

A wave of her hand and the guard dropped to the ground- asleep, not dead. Her magic could beguile, but killing was both beyond her ability and it turned her stomach.

Her grip on Viktor's hand tightened, the breeze mounting into a storm. "No, my liege. I am no servant," she murmured. Her false accent had dropped away, replaced with the subtle, thrumming power of the Fae. "But I believe you have something that belongs to me."

The air around her seemed to thicken, heady with the smell of faerie magic. "I'm here to take it back."

KingTyrant

Viktor's gaze turned into a glare, his own grip tightening as well. He looked to his side at the sleeping guard, a growl rumbling in his throat. "Fae magic... Should have seen that coming. What other tricks have you up your sleeves? Or is this all?" He taunted, feeling the air thicken, but being far from scared. He had seen death quite a few times in his life. This was definitely not the first.

He seemed genuinely confused when she spoke of stolen belongings. "What in blazes are you going on about? I keep no Fae artifacts in my castle. I have no use for such things." He told her bluntly. He frowned, looking down as he remembered a pair of beautiful, unbreakable Fae wings which had arrived to his castle yesterday afternoon... Surgically removed from an unknown Fae, and highly valuable. Was... This what she had come for?

"A travelling merchant arrived at my castle to sell me a pair of pristine Fae wings a day ago. If you are here to claim those, I invite you to look elsewhere. They'd be at the Arcane Catacombs by now. An old, accursed cave in the Highlands. I own no such wings." Although he told her this as sternly and truthfully as he could, he had a genuine feeling that this Fae wouldn't listen to reason.

Looking over her shoulder, he spotted an ornate, stone vase holding an assortment of flowers of all different colors. He'd hate to resort to blunt force trauma, but a bop on the head with such an object would probably put her to sleep long enough to put her in the dungeon for questioning. As Viktor did for all who threatened his and his wife, Qiana's livelihood. Twitching an index finger, the vase suddenly was tossed off of its podium, spiraling at the back of her head.

DragonSong

Anoria tightened her grip further, nearly crushing his hand in hers. "Do not lie to me, mortal," she hissed, digging her nails into his flesh. "Where are they?!"

She felt the vase careening toward her and released him, shoving him back with enough force to send him reeling, and whirled, throwing her hands up and calling wind to her aid.

She was almost fast enough. But she was too angry, too hurt, irrational and acting on instinct. Her magic exploded out of her sporadically, slowing the vase and sending it slightly off course, but not stopping it. The projectile hit her temple and she wavered, swaying in place.

"No..." Her knees started to buckle. "No, not again...please..."

Please...

Her body hit the ground, the magic thrumming through the air around her pulsed, then started to fade.

KingTyrant

Viktor grabbed the railing for support as he was shoved. As she threw her hands up, he was sure that she'd block the vase, and then he'd be dead for sure. Though, this wasn't the case. The vase hit her in the temple painfully, and as she fell, he was quick to run to her side. Picking her up, he gazed at her face in deep thought. That was when an army of guards rushed in, swords drawn.

"An intruder! To the dungeon! Send her to the dungeon!" The captain of the guard snarled. Viktor held up his hand. "No. You will take her to one of the guest rooms. Make sure she's tied down good. I'll have a word with her in the morning." He told them. The captain of the guard's eyes widened. "Sire... Are you mad? We heard the voices... She threatened your life!" He exclaimed. The king shook his head. "I know what I'm doing. Take her to her room." He persisted.

The other guards, exchanging odd glances at one-another and murmuring in confusion, walked to the Fae and picked her up, hoisting her away. Viktor stood, watching them with a heavy sigh. He followed them to their destination, watching as they tied her down by her limbs in the fancy bed. No arms and legs, no fancy magic work. Arms crossed over his chest, he observed as they left back to their posts before heading to bed themselves. He needed his rest. After all, he had much work to do tomorrow.

Bright and early, almost as soon as the sun peaked its head over the Serenian landscape, the king had taken his place beside the Fae, a cup of tea in hand. He was dressed in his emerald armor, his huge, double-ended spear leaning against his chair. He looked out the window as he sipped his beverage, occasionally looking down at his attacker as he waited for her to wake.

DragonSong

She woke slowly, with a quiet groan and furrowed brow. She blinked, squirming against the light, and moved to sit up.

But she couldn't. She was heavy- bound.

No. Oh no, no. Nononononono!

Anoria screamed, trying to tear through the bindings with sheer strength; strength that seemed to be failing her, the world still sort of fuzzy around the edges from that blow to the head. She screamed again, thrashing, her breath sharp and panicked as she looked around with wide, frantic eyes.

"Let me go!" She gasped, then shrieked, "Let me go, let me go!!"

KingTyrant

Viktor tried to get a word in before she could, opening his mouth as soon as he heard the groan to signal that she had woken. Unfortunately, she was already beginning to wail for freedom. Viktor sighed, continuing to sip his tea as he waited for her to stop. That didn't look like it'd be happening anytime soon. He eventually looked towards her with narrowed eyes, crossing his arms.

"All that screaming won't get you free anytime soon. So stop. You're disturbing the peace." He told her sternly, but with a calm tone to his voice. Leaning in, he placed his cup on the end table. "Look... The information I told you last night was no lie. Your wings are locked away in the Arcane Catacombs. It's an old burial ground, for the mages of Serendipity."

"People give gifts and sacrifices to the sorcerers of old, in hopes that the ghosts don't reek havoc on our civilization. Old superstitions, but people cling to them hard. If I'm right, that's where they'll be. Fae wings are lusted for by alchemists, who try and grind them up for magical potions. What better to give to the ghost of a dead mage? Fae wings are something of legend." He explained to her. Shaking his head, he frowned. "I'll let you go and grab them, but be warned, the dead do come to life in old tombs like that. That much is true."

Sitting up straight, he ran his fingers through his beard. "Assuming you won't try and have me killed, I'll be happy to accompany you on such a journey. I have a few abilities that may come in handy for such an occasion. I may be old, but I'm not useless." He chuckled, standing up. "Deal?"

DragonSong

Anoria only stopped screaming when he'd started speaking, staring up at him while her chest heaved with pants.

She wasn't even sure what she offered- she just knew if she said yes he would release her, and in her panicked state, that was all she need.

"Yes, yes, by the stars, yes! Just let me go, please!"

She could feel it, the terror running through her growing stronger the longer she was bound. Helpless.

They could take everything from her.

KingTyrant

Viktor rolled his eyes, leaning in and undoing the binds on her wrists, before reaching down and undoing those on her ankles. "Calm yourself... You act as if I'm going to have you butchered." He grumbled. Once she was free, he made sure to keep his distance. The other night, she displayed quite well all that she was capable of doing to him. He did not want to be in the crossfire of that.

"We can take my two best horses. Leave down a trail on the mountainside. I have no desire to leave through the city... I'll attract far too much attention." He explained to her, before walking through the door. "Get your belongings together, and meet me in the throne room. A guard will show the way." He said as he left. Heading down the tower and into the throne room, a few guards saluted him.

He addressed them with a stern nod, letting them be at ease. "I'm heading out. I'll need two to accompany me for protection, as well as my horse and three others led from the stables." This was met with rapid nods, the guards running off to follow their given directions. "You." He pointed at his steward, standing near the throne. "Tell Qiana I'm heading out. Let Nasrin know to hold down the fort while I'm gone." He told him. "Aye, sire." The steward said, taking his leave.

DragonSong

The faerie vaulted from the bed once the bonds were undone, panting desperately as she wavered on her feet and had to throw her hand against the wall to steady herself.

As the human left the room, she hissed quietly, "If you ever bind me again, I will end you."

She sank to the ground once he'd left, shivering. Her back ached and her vision still swam. Why hadn't she healed properly yet? Her eyes flickered around the room as she slowly forced herself to her feet.

The door. The wood was braced with bands of dark metal. Iron.

Of course.

She needed to get away from the poisonous stuff. Still shaking, she braced herself and pushed the door open, whimpering quietly as the iron burned her skin.

KingTyrant

The guard set to guide her to the throne room raised a brow at her body language. "What's the matter with you? Are you sick?" He stood there for awhile, examining her, and then letting his eyes drift slowly towards the door. "Iron... Poisonous to Fae, right? I know that much..." He huffed. "Unfortunately, Serendipity is full of iron. Serenians are weak to steel. We cannot use such a metal." He explained, but this was common knowledge.

Leading her down the corridor, he took a sharp right and slowly walked down the stairs. Heading down a diagonal corridor from there, he opened the door for her to reveal the giant, ornate marble throne room. In the middle of the huge, awe-inspiring chamber stood the king, dressed in his regal emerald armor, massive, deadly spear in hand. Beside him were two well-trained royal guards, their iron armor bulky and battle-scarred, with chainmail covering areas where plating did not.

Viktor looked up at her, giving a nod. "Are you ready to go?" He asked. The guard approached him quickly, a frown on his face. "Sire... The iron here in the castle... She's being poisoned. It's prevented her from recovering fully." He explained. The king, glancing at her, sighed and nodded. "I forgot... Are you well enough to leave?" He asked her, before looking at one of his accompanying men, realizing that they couldn't be around her while wearing so much iron. If they did leave, it really would have to be alone.

DragonSong

She managed to keep her feet under her, but her already snowy skin had a sickly pallor to of, and even the gold in her eyes seemed to have faded.

"I'm fine," she snarled weakly. "Just get me out of here."

KingTyrant

Viktor blinked at her, waiting a moment before giving a nod. "Very well..." He nodded to the two guards, who walked off. He led the Fae outside, to an open area next to the stables. Four horses were waiting, the king picking a huge, muscular black horse in emerald armor. "Pick whichever one you like best... All perform around the same, though." He told her, climbing onto his horse.

"I hope you've rode before... It's a bit of a distance to the cave." He said, gripping the reigns in his hands. "We'll make it there quicker down this little trail, anyhow." He cracked the reigns, the horse whinnying before galloping out of the gate. Heading down the winding trail at blinding speeds, the king leaned forward, his hair blowing wildly in the wind.

It was a gorgeous day, not a single cloud in the sky, and the dark green fields alive with butterflies and such. The tall grass was nearly waist-high on an average man, flowers of all colors dotting the landscape. There was a nice, cool breeze, too. Not just from the speed of the horse. It was a wonderful day for a ride out on the open countryside, away from the busy city. Still, there was work to be done. And many dangers lay ahead.

DragonSong

The faerie almost sighed in relief when she saw the horses. Animals were good, simple. Creatures of the earth, at their core, as she was.

She gave a small nod to the human and moved toward the remaining three animals. A large bay charger bobbed his head at her, moving forward first when she raised her hand toward the horses.

Anoria smiled. "Peace, brother, and well met," she murmured, stroking his neck as he leaned into breathe in her face. She returned the greeting, teaching him her scent.

As Viktor mounted up, she went to work stripping the horse's tack, then swinging easily up onto his back. Without the saddle between herself and the horse, she could feel his breath, his heartbeat, and smiled again.

Even just this was enough to chase some of the iron sickness away.

Without a word, she tapped her heels against her mount's side, urging him after the dark horse Viktor had chose.

Tags: