Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Can't Train a Warhound to Beg [Spicyspice]

Started by AevumEternity, February 21, 2017, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

Another memory. Another waking nightmare... Major Hakon Kilandre opened her eyes slowly, hazel-grey irises traveling around the lavish hallway where she stood at a parade rest beneath an arching window. Slowly, the young woman observed the long hallway, noting the beautiful white marble, pristine black-green decorum and other indications that this was, indeed, the Duke's place of residence. It was so clean, so pristine... And utterly unnerving.

After so many months if not years of treading through ash, mud, tar, blood, ice, feces and corpses of cities and sentients- one grew to find such a place eerie. Beautiful, perhaps- but every soldier, no matter rank or file learned the pretty things often held the most poisonous venom.

The command for her to return to the Reajh had come in the midst of Ansgar's Hand's final push in their campaign to drive a pocket of rebelling mages across the borders into the treacherous wastes to the North. Ah how she had fought to stay until the end, but, loyal servant to the Peoples' Duke as she was, she obeyed swiftly due to her own compliance and the encouraging screeches of her advisers. So here she waited, not for the Grand Duke- no, that would be far too easy- but for his pet, Zannrick Austengarde. What she had heard from the mouths of her lackeys of this man was nothing short of disapproving, he was thoughtless, careless, all who wielded magic were to be executed. Though her ideology was similar, Hakon prided herself in her ability to distinguish between mercilessness in war and mercilessness in life. She, alas, was willing to meet the man before making final assumptions.

In fact... Now that she pondered it, she knew little of the Duke- the people, the grunts whom she had spent the last years fighting alongside as commander and fellow soldier, had almost nothing good to say of the new administration but for the steady flow of pay and supplies. The people were growing increasingly scared of him- no- his forces with the civil war. It was only a matter of time before not only the odd few duchies were dragged into the sucking vortex of war. Already the people were growing tired of this war, it was all she could do to inspire them again.

Inspire them she had. Why else would she be here otherwise? What did past victories matter if they did not awe? Shaking her head slowly, the Major adjusted her robes. her attire consisted of black and green colors with the occasional white dashed in- a shoulderless tunic as always to exhibit the scars left by many a battle and the weight of the armor she carried so proudly upon herself, thick pants and boots to allow her to ride without having to worry (she had learned after an incident that fine fabrics were no good for bareback riding years ago). Complimented at last with a silvery steel choker clasped about her neck, holding the visage of a screaming eagle, her family's sigil. She had to admit that her advisers had actually fixed her up with something relatively... Nice and effeminate for the first time and made sure to thank them. But of course, it went to their heads, the old men likely flouncing around the city with joy after being praised for the first time in years. Ah- she loved those old coots.

A door opened at the end of the silent hallway, causing the major to straighten, folding her hands behind her back as she stood at a firm parade rest, staring straight ahead. Listening to the steady footfalls drawing nearer though her gaze did not flicker to see whom approached...

visualspice

The halls in Grand Duke's palace were nothing to scoff about; though old as they were, where they choose to meet in the Collection Hall, was one of the many claims to fame of the wealth, power and beauty of Connlaoth's dominant ruling family. Though power often changed hands, as was the Connlaothian way (for blood was power, the Grand Duke's seat was largely comprised of royal blood being voted in, rather than birthed)- but a strong enough leader could carry on his family line if he did remarkably well.

Calent Allarrick was still too new on the throne, his family line not one here on permanence, but out of the appointed rights from all of fellow blood mates whom ruled the duchies, or less powerful land claims. Though he was here for over a decade by now, he had easily made his mark. The Collection Hall would be proof to that. Each ruler had his own sculpted figure and placard describing his reign. The newest, Grand Duke Allarrick's, was made, for the first time, not only out of the well polished marble like the rest, but it had been artistically crafted in his likeness in color as well. From the brilliant green of his eyes and accented decore, to the rich, leather crafted boots of his feet- It was almost as if the Grand Duke himself were standing there in the room. Though his placard left much to be desired, his reign was still enduring, and normally more was added after the ruler was sent in his grave.

In the center of this rounded, meeting-hall chamber was a map of the whole of Connlaoth, made out of millions of small, polished stones, cut and fit perfectly together to make it the single, grandest map in all of the known world. (After all, there were real diamonds, rubies, sapphires even, among the marble and obsidian used to craft the peace); and each time the country changed, the floor itself was cut out and reset to reflect the changes- after all, it was only respectful to those in powers to praise the current shape of the duchies, rather than keep preserved the structure as it may have been in rulings past. No, to see the map and it's chronological changes, one could simply visit the many maps in the Palace's library; a library of which grew significantly during Calent's reign (for he was known more for his quiet, scholarly ways, over any personal war victories). It is probably for this reason some still scoff at the idea Calent has done so well with his war efforts, but those are only whispers and no tongues would ever make claim to having said.

The Collection Hall also held the ashes of famous war heroes of times past, set against the burning lanterns that kept the hall lit. Though it was mid day, and the light from the ceiling tall windows kept the place bright, they were none the less well maintained and dancing. The Hall also was connected by several hallways that came into it as if it were some center pointed star, and only one such hallway was left barracaded by an equally massive door of heavy wood and proud, sculpted paint.

The war hounds, war houses and Ansgar himself were etched into it- a frightful figure done in the style several centuries old by now, but still grand and beautiful in detail. Though curious as it might be, there was a woman figure near the bottom, half hidden in floral detail, that has since become obscured with the ages, and whose identity was never truly known. But the image was pushed aside as the door cut open, creaking like the mighty jaws of a sleeping beast. Darkness lay behind it, allowing the bright light from the Collection Hall to shine in- first on his eyes, a piercing blue, like the winter sky, then glinted off the thick cut of his sculpted armor and sharp whiteness of his hair. Though blonde like the woman before him, his hair was so pale it rivaled the high clouds of the sky, and as he stormed forward, those ice blue eyes never once leaved her form.

And his war boots echoed throughout the chamber as his arm rested on the hilt of his sheathed blade, and a long cape fluttered behind him, dragging along plush carpet that contrasted the dark blue colors that accented him.

"Major Kilandre," came his voice as he halted but paces before her, and rigidly, he bowed; but was quick to come off of it. "Your journey had been well?" His voice echoed in the chamber as the pair stood, two figures of war in a room that honored two of such well birth and distinction. "I know the roads to Connlaoth are not well." It was embarrassing to admit any revolts still existed so near to the capital, but the last month proved to surprise even him- and irritate him more than anything else. It was more than evident in his demeanor, his tone.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

AevumEternity

Hakon allowed her gaze to shift to the man before her, vaguely surprised by how her eyes directly met his- perhaps she had expected a giant with incredible strength brought from years of training rather the magical in-born ability, but then again- rumors loved to exaggerate upon anything they touched. Offering a wry smile, she pressed a loose fist across her chest, bowing rigidly and shortly in a rather curt salute. She wanted to get this overwith as quickly as possible despite the honors being lavished here. Alas, the longer she noted such details the more she wanted to understand.

" T'was little trouble, Sir Zannerick Austengarde, she replies reassuringly in her low, gravely tone," The highways have remained relatively untouched in the North due to the rebels being pushed toward the border. My position has not allowed me to observe the other cardinal direction, but word tells of trouble perhaps to the far West." She gently shakes her head, feather-like locks swishing to and fro as she lowers her hands, idly folding them in the small of her back.

She pauses for a moment, perhaps now was the time to voice her concerns? To speak of what made her men ever more weary to head into another fight? Which made soldiers who would fight and die on the field demand more pay because motivated on love for country was not enough any more?

" Sir, if I may, perhaps at another time I would like to voice concerns regarding moral. But I do believe-" she straightens slightly, the muscles of her back locking, her figure stilling as if to reflect the marble huddled about the pair,"- we have business to attend to, sir?" Imploringly, she motioned subtly for him to continue. To lead on. He seemed as concerned with trivialities as she did, so shentested this boundary- if it were to lash back upon her, well then it would simply be a lesson to pass on.

visualspice

If her own bluntness caught him off guard or was offputting, he made no show of it.
"We are here to speak of a natural alliance," for natural was the way it ought to be when reaching out to the Grand Duke. "And on neutral terms for the good of this war." Such speak left his mouth tasting sour, because he hated playing an inbetween. He was much better a servant that sniffed out that of which was rotten.

Curtly he went on,
"Your family breeds Theocogs." Every knew that, it was a statement, a fact. "How many are being offered and will they be ready to bring to the capital within the week?" He wasn't about wasting anymore time than she.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

AevumEternity

Her face hardened slightly, ah- she knew once word of the Theocog reached the mainsteam nobles it was only a matter of time before demand heightened. Alas- selling all the avaliable colts and adults minus the breeding pairs,"- Only 7 of the herd are up for auction, sir." Tilting her head back slightly she frowns slightly," But they must imrpint on riders before being truly effective- are you- or rather the grand duke truly willing to dip into the funds of the treasury to obtain my assets-?"

The couldn't be mass produced, nor bred with other horses without serious and quite horrendous consequences- she inqardly cringed at the memory- at least the poor colt was put down humanely before it could suffer more then it had.

visualspice

Zannrick gave a curt nod.
"I would not have summoned you were he thinking other wise. I have also brought you here to invest in what breeding stocks we might obtain."
7 didn't seem like many, good horses or not.

AevumEternity

" The seven avaliable are those with the ability to be launched immediately into combat after imprinting on a rider, we've three breeding pairs, two of the mares are already carrying. Lord, you must understand that Theocog are expensive for a reason- there is no other mount quite like it perhaps other then the dragons of Adela." Folding her hands together, she frowns slightly," I must look to the future, sirrah."

Sighing gently, she folds her hands behind her back, she continues," Believe me when I say we attempted to breed them with your average equine. Not only was it equally dangerous for the mother and foal, but the offspring survived no more then two days after birth. I will not lose another Theocog to such conditions..." arching a slender eyebrow, she tilts her head questioningly.

visualspice

The woman's proposition was trying his patience, but he also was no ignorant fool. He was aware of the limited resources for certain creatures. Even still, he stiffened at the idea.
"How much if we bring the entire stable here, to be sired in the capital?"