Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Unspoken Vows [Draco!]

Started by Zero, April 21, 2017, 03:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Usually The Dancing Star made port in Yoreiqi, but for Aijuno  this year his mother had been called to the other side of the world, they had docked in Thanatos several days before the festivities began and Rajko enjoyed the shore leave immensely. His wings stood out in any crowd, but mostly the reactions were simply curiosity by locals and tourists alike. He was proud of the wings and always happy to show them off, letting more than one person pet them when asked.

There was a bit of a language barrier. Rajko only spoke Yoreiqi and Common, but was quickly picking up a handful of words quickly. He wasn't completely ignorant to what the holiday was all about, but he wasn't really aware of it either. Inima was the God of these people, and he understood it all had something to do with her and luck and fertility?

That all sounded fine to him! Being mixed race, Rajko had never completely fit in with the Serenians his mother called her people, nor the Yoreiqi that his father belonged to. However he fit pretty close with the island people of the man that fathered him.

Fertility was a major part of their culture too. Children were blessings and it was a joy to have them. Things were a bit different here, but it was close enough to make him feel somewhat comfortable with the whole thing; especially since everyone seemed so very excited about some event that was taking place at the height of this entire party.

Being ever curious, Rajko immediately plunged head first into the goings on. He caught enough to know men and women were putting their names on papers and then into jars. Not knowing why they were doing it didn't stop him from also putting his name in.

The only way to learn was to do.

He recognized when names were beginning to be called, and obediently stepped forward when he heard his. A pretty, and really short, woman stepped forward with him. His eyes looked around excitedly as the elderly woman continued speaking after the names had all been drawn. The candles blew were blown out and he looked down at the woman beside him curiously.

"I'm Rajko." Of course he had no idea that those were the first words he would ever speak to his wife.

Draconian

This was exciting.

And scary.

With neither title or beauty to attract a husband conventionally, Sanshi had put her name into the draw as a sort of last ditch effort. Making sure her head covering was on tight, she licked her lips, took a deep breath and when her name was called she moved forward. It was a sort of blur. She'd had a drink or two to calm her nerves because she knew whoever got their name called with her would be a little put off.

Well, once she pulled the head covering off.  A bad omen, they'd say. Just because her hair was red. Hesitantly - since she'd been staring at the ground so intently - Sanshi didn't look up from the man's shoes until he introduced himself. Luckily for her new husband, Sanshi had picked up common over the years of making pottery for tourists. It was a little broken sometimes and she didn't understand most idioms, but... The basic skills were there.

When she finally looked up her mouth dropped.

"You're a foreigner," She said simply, her accent light and lilting, Sanshi blinked before she reached forward to take his hand and smile at him. Maybe he wouldn't... Hate this? Hate that he was stuck with her? "I am... Sanshi," She said, smiling brightly, the alcohol helping her bright smile along with her flushed cheeks.

"It's... Do ..." Sanshi frowned and pointed to the candles, "Do you know? Do you know what you are?"

Zero

"Yes." Rajko answered simply with a smile. Yes, he was a foreigner. He blinked and looked down at their hands when she took his, but his smile didn't falter, if anything it grew wider. Everyone had been so friendly to him!

"Sanshi." He repeated her name, rolling the sounds about in his mouth a little bit. She had a very pretty smile! The way she blushed made him curious. Why would she be blushing when giving her name? It seemed a little odd. Most people hadn't blushed when introducing themselves, so he knew it couldn't be a Thanati thing. He decided to try to put her at ease with a compliment. Not hard, since he didn't have to lie. "That's a pretty name."

A moment later and his grin was replaced with a look of confusion. Did he know what he was? What an odd question! Ooooooh...maybe it was because of his wings? Completely ignoring that she had pointed at the candles, Rajko flexed his wings slightly, making the feathers rustle. "I am human!"

Draconian

Sanshi listened to him, looked at his wings. The flush from the compliment of her name and she made sure the headwrap was still on because what if he saw? Would he still want her if he knew she had red hair? Sanshi's worst fear was that... Her husband wouldn't be interested in trying to know her if he knew she was a walking bad omen.

The only reason she could make a living was her pottery. Well, there were probably other opportunities but the shyness and social outcast part of her life didn't help with any sort of out going nature. When Rajko exclaimed that he was human, Sanshi's face fell and her heart beat picked up. Did... Did he even know? Tears pricked her eyes and she took a deep breath to calm herself. While she'd braced herself for at least some weariness, her new husband not even knowing?

Surely he knew. He had to know.

"Yes," She nodded, looking at his wings. Looking at his face. All his interesting markings, "You're human and..." Sanshi waved her hand at the candles, "You are my...." While she didn't wait, her breathing picked up into little panicked puffs and she squeezed her eyes shut for a moment. "Husband," she finished, opening her eyes again and hesitantly reaching for his hand though she stopped short and took her hand back because what if he didn't want her touches?

"We are married."

Zero

Rajko's expression fell suddenly. Why were there tears in her eyes? Oh, but they were a pretty green color, he hadn't truly noticed before. Still, the tears detracted from the beauty. Had he said something wrong? He felt strongly that he had said something that had caused those tears and wished that he knew what mistake he had made in their extremely brief conversation.

Thankfully she tried to explain something to him, but unfortunately he didn't really understand. He cocked his head to the side with a slight frown and a puzzled expression on his face. What did she mean that he was her husband? What was married?

"We are...married." Poor Rajko still seemed a bit confused, but he reached for her hand and smiled brightly. There was no need for tears or her to be nervous! He didn't know what was going on, but it was all going to be just fine. "Don't cry. What is...married? What is husband? I have heard those words before, but I don't really understand..."

Draconian

Sanshi just stared at him.

Green eyes wide and a flush on her cheeks and she looked to the candles and looked to Rajko. Was this better or worse than being shunned. Taking a deep breath, she pushed her own sadness down - it appeared she wouldn't get the marriage she was hoping for - and gently took his hand. It would be better to explain to him in private. Or at least anywhere but here. After tugging him along into a little corner, she sighed and looked up at him, a little defeated.

Why did he have to look so... Nice? So happy?

"Married," she insisted, the words weren't coming to her in her distress so she held up her hands, one finger each, "Man. Woman." She wiggled a finger each before she curled them around one another, "Together. Married. Just one." A glance over her shoulder and she took her hand and put it on her chest, "I am your wife now and you," she put her hand on his chest, "Are my husband. We are married." Then she paused and looked away, "Only for a year if you don't like me."

Or she didn't like him.

But Sanshi wasn't about to throw her only chance of a family away so easily - even if he was a foreigner with wings. The wings alone had questions pop into her head but... Those could be for later.

Zero

Rajko didn't know where they were going, or why they were, but when Sanshi pulled him along, he followed without hesitation or complaint. They crowded into a little corner and he looked down at her with a smile. Oh, but she looked unhappy still. A soft frown came to his face, as he still had no idea what was going on or what was wrong. Was he bothering her in some way? If so, why did she bring him with her?

Soft violet eyes followed the motions of her hands as she wiggled and linked her fingers, and then touched her own chest before his. All the gestures were interlaced with her words. Of course he wasn't stupid, so he understood what she was saying.

The concept behind marriage and husbands and wives was still eluding him. "For a year? If I don't like you? Why wouldn't I like you?"

This was making his head spin just a little bit. The impression he got by the interlinked fingers was that they were supposed to be together. As in they had been chosen to have sex together. That would make sort of sense, wouldn't it? This was a festival for their fertility goddess Inima, right? Maybe they choose random partners to have sex to pay homage to Inima and Sanshi was his partner.

Or his wife, as she had called it.

Hadn't he heard non-Thanati talking about husbands and wives, though? "I'm still confused, but I like you Sanshi. Your name is pretty and you have nice green eyes. If you say that I am your husband and that we are married, then...what do we do now?"

Because he definitely didn't know!

Draconian

There was a face she pulled.

She tried really hard not to make it, but her lips were thin and she kept her eyes downcast. What as she supposed to do? His questions confused her as surely as all this confused him and... Should she be disappointed? Should she be excited? Sanshi took a deep breath and curled her arm around his.

This was going to be her husband.

Even if he didn't quite understand what was going on. Maybe she should ask him?

"Well, we go.. Home... Or we continue to enjoy the festival," She licked her lips and fixed her robe and head covering, "Rajko?" Sanshi asked, her common a little thick but understandable. A brief glance over to several drunk people, chatting jovially, "Do you... What do you think this festival is for?" Sanshi prepared herself for the worst answer - the one that left her alone at the end of it anyway. So, while she wanted for the answer, she reached back and touched his wings, at least those were interesting.

Zero

Go home?

Rajko tilted his head slightly, not understanding why she would want him to go home. Of course, home to him meant The Dancing Star. He looked down at where she had wrapped her arm around his and reached a hand up to lightly trail his fingers along her arm.

She had nice skin.

"Yes?" He asked innocently, then frowned at her question. "It's for Inima." That seemed an odd question. Didn't she know that this was a festival honoring Inima? She was from here, wasn't she? Rajko scratched the back of his neck sheepishly, wings twitching lightly under her gentle touch.

"Do you like them? You can pet them as much as you like. I don't mind." He was used to curious touches in regards to his wings.

Draconian

Sanshi jolted when he noticed she was petting at his wings, so she quickly jerked her hand back and flushed, looking up at him. A glance away and she cleared her throat, lips pursed before she chewed on her lower lip. "Yes, it's for Inima," She said, voice lowered. Sanshi moved her free hand to press her fist to her upper chest, palm to her collar bone.

"Your wings are lovely," She added as an aside, wanting to change the topic but... No. He had to understand. He could understand, right? Sanshi ducked her head down and took his hand, fingers between his as she dragged him away. Maybe she was cursed. Only she would get a husband who accidentally entered himself into... Into a marriage ceremony - or so she thought.

It was when they were finally some what alone, or at least more alone, tucked between the side of a building and a tall tree. Glancing around, Sanshi sighed before she slowly pulled the covering off her head, red hair bound in braids, curled around her head to keep it hidden - the secondary use was to keep it out of her pottery. "You're going to be with me for a year, only me," She took his hand in both of hers, "This is what the ceremony is for. Sometimes... Sometimes there's children and... Maybe we'll fall in love before the year is up..." Sanshi frowned when the pair of braids started to unravel from their coronet.

Obviously Sanshi figured this was her only chance at all of that. "I... Why did you put your name in the jar if you didn't...." Sanshi sighed and ducked her head down, hands moving from his to hang at her sides, tears filling her eyes again. This was both good at bad. Good because he wasn't Thanati, bad because he clearly didn't understand what was going on! "You're going to be with me, only me for a year. We're married. That's what that means."

Zero

Rajko grinned at the compliment to his wings. He was always proud of them, they made him unique and special anywhere he went on the mainland, which wasn't many places, but they drew attention nevertheless. That grin quickly faltered though, because he could tell that she was upset as she took his hand and lead him farther way.

He stopped when she did, still looking down at her in concern and confusion. His violet eyes widened slightly as she unwound the scarf from around her head, revealing her beautiful red hair. Her speaking to him again distracted him from admiring it.

It wasn't really something he understood very well, but he was trying. At least the mention of children made his eyes light up. They were supposed to be together for a year and fall in love?

Yoreiqi knew love. They were very free about love, and adored children. He was supposed to only be with her, though? That was odd, but not upsetting. If there were sometimes children then he wasn't wrong about it having something to do with fertility.

"I wanted to learn." Rajko answered earnestly and truthfully. The unshed tears in her eyes distressed him. He leaned down so that he could look directly into her face, taking her hands in his again and rubbing his thumbs over her knuckles gently. "Please don't cry. I will stay with you for this year. We can have children! I love children. I've always wanted some."

He might have had some back in Yoreiqi for all he knew, but he was at sea so much he wouldn't have known for sure and didn't get to actually spend time with them.

Draconian

That's it?

Sanshi frowned and blinked away her tears the best she could.

That easy?

"What?" Her voice was a little watery and she swallowed and licked her lips, blinking wide green eyes at him, "Just like that?" A little shake of her head and she glanced at her red hair. Didn't that bother him? Didn't he see that as a sign that she was all wrong? Sanshi just... Looked down at her hands, glancing away before chewing on her lower lip. A little shake of her head.

It wasn't a real family. They didn't know one another but... It was a chance for one, and she gave a little hesitant smile up at Rajko, a little flush on her cheeks before she looked away after a moment. A quick lean in and she pressed a kiss to Rajko's cheek, a little sigh of relief after she pulled away. "Well, it's very nice to meet you. I hope our year together is ... Very nice." Maybe she could teach him how to make pots.

Zero

"Was there more?" Rajko asked in confusion, honestly not sure what else there was to the matter. Of course he was going to stay. She would cry if he didn't and they were...married. It was strange and he didn't fully get it, but he understood that married meant staying together, so he would stay here with her.

See, he wasn't completely dumb? He could figure that much out!

A grin quickly curved his lips at the chaste kiss to his cheek. That was much better! Smiling was always better than crying. "It's nice to meet you too. I hope that you will love me. Love is always wonderful, and we can make beautiful babies together."

He looked at her red hair again, his little Sanshi was gorgeous, he had no doubt they would have very lovely babies.

Draconian

Was there more?

Sanshi looked away.

Other than her being a social outcast? Of her own choosing and for superstitious reasons? Sanshi looked away briefly, listening to him talk. His words caught her off guard. He wanted her to love him? And... "What?" The look Sanshi gave him was probably a little odd. Sort of bugged eyed with her lips drawn thin.

"You..." A sort of tilt of her head and she looked at him, all smiles and sunshine, "You want children?" A look around and she blinked at him, sort of but not quite believing him. "With me?"

Zero

"Of course I want children." Who didn't want children? Children were the greatest blessing and gift that could be given to your life. "We are...married. Should I not want children with you?"

Just when he thought he had started to get it! Wait, no, she had said children sometimes happened. Surely she wanted babies as much as he did. They were supposed to be together now, for a year, that meant they would have a baby together, right?

Draconian

How could she word this.

Sanshi looked away for a moment. She'd been explaining what happened... Sometimes. Not what would for sure happen with her. Could she take care of a child? A brief thought of her grandmother. She'd been able to take care of many children - her father being one of them. "It's... That'd... Maybe children can come later..."  Chewing on her lip she sighed before she shook the thoughts from her head like cobwebs and reached for Rajko's hand again.

Passively she started to walk again, "Do you want to ... Festival more?" She asked softly, looking behind him to where the people who were cheerfully drinking still were. Her own buzz was gone - the excited one and the alcoholic one - but... She couldn't fault Rajko for wanting to join in again.  Sanshi imagined that his plan for the event hadn't been to walk away with a woman for a year.

Sanshi felt bad. For herself and for Rajko. At least a Thanati would have been sort of mentally prepared to get someone less than desirable. It would have been easier to not disappoint her husband that way. Looking down at the cloth in her hands, she quickly moved to cover her hair back up, taking the clips and carefully pinning her hair away.

Zero

"Oh." If he only had a year would that mean no babies after all? Rajko didn't know how much later she meant, but he tried not to look too disappointed. Maybe she would change her mind once she got to know him a little. He was sure he could convince her that having a baby with him would be a wonderful idea.

Babies were always wonderful ideas!

When she began walking so did he, following her aimlessly because he was rather like a lost puppy at the moment, only knowing that he was supposed to be with her. He cocked his head to the side when she asked if he wanted to go back to the festival. A soft frown tugged at his lips as he looked towards people that were still enjoying the celebrations before finally shaking his head.

"No, I want to stay with you, and you don't seem like you want to party." Rajko was confused as she covered her hair up again. He really liked the red, it was pretty.

Another thought occurred to him. "Oh. If we are staying together for a year, that means I will live...here? I don't have a house, will I live with you? We should tell Mother. I hope she isn't too disappointed when I can't go back to sea with her."

He didn't think she would be, there were plenty of young sailors to keep The Dancing Star sailing smoothly without him.

Draconian

Tell mother?

Sanshi blinked to Rajko after a moment, surprised and a little alarmed. It hadn't occured to her that he'd have a mother. Of course he did. "Y-yes," she saif softly, "you'll live with me," a glance down and away and she rubbed her hands together nervously.

"Back to sea?" Sanshi almost whispered looking at him in profile. Looking at his wings, admiring how handsome and interesting he looked. "You... You don't have to stay," she said, trying not to sound defeated. Of course this had been a bad idea.

She should have been content with what she had.

Sanshi let her head fall forward before she tried to smile at him, "you just... have to come back in a year so it can be... ended. It's okay. I don't want to be the reason you can't be at sea."

Zero

Rajko nodded cheerfully at the knowledge that he'd be living with her. That meant he wouldn't have to suddenly figure out where to stay. Besides, if they were married and supposed to be together and have babies, then they should probably live together. Living in the home she already had just made things easier than if he was expected to provide a house for himself or her.

"But...we're married." He tilted his head to look down at her, coming to a stop and reaching a hand out to take her arm so she would stop with him. "Sanshi, I want to stay. I wanted to learn, so I am learning. You will teach me, yes?"

They would learn all kinds of things together! He had already learned that married meant two people staying with each other. For a year. She could help him learn Thanati, too. Rajko had already picked up a few words, but he'd never learn the language in the short amount of time he had been expecting to be there. Now he had plenty of time.

"I won't miss the sea that much. We're on an island. I can go see it whenever I want." He tried to reassure her. It wasn't like he had to sail with his mother. That was just always what he'd done. More than once he'd thought about staying in Yoreiq, no reason not to choose Thanatos now.

Draconian

A hesitant look at Rajko. Sanshi still felt awful but... He put his name in the jar. Which meant that if he hadn't gotten her he would have gotten someone else so... Maybe this was a stroke of luck? Another hesitant nod and she moved her hand to his.

At least she could get used to the touching. Hands first. Hands only. For now. She supposed.

"Do we go see your mother now?" It wasn't too late and now she had butterflies at the idea.

Tags: