Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

True Evil (M) [Closed]

Started by Valtxr, April 23, 2017, 02:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtxr

Evil hid in the town of Cerenis.
   But it was not a crazed mage hellbent on seeking more arcane power. Not an imposing warlord scheming to raze and pillage and terrorize the countryside. Not a corrupted necromancer performing a foul ritual to raise an army of the dead. Not a vile demon lord being summoned to defile a pristine Earth. Not an ancient vampire hiding in the darkness from the sun, nor bloodthirsty werewolf awaiting the rise of the full moon. None of these.
   Only a man.
   A man and his inhuman deeds.
   And his name was Deegan.

The convoy of four wagons rolled along the roads from Connlaoth to Serendipity at a steady pace during the days-long journey. The wagons were loaded with stocks of food to make the journey from Reajh to Cerenis, matchlock and wheellock rifles, gunpowder and ammunition, swords and shields, a few crates of the volatile Ignis Root and Crystal Vane plants to make improvised explosives with, and a crate packed with healing salves and other medical supplies.
   Thirteen strong and rough-looking men rode in the wagons of the convoy. Eight of these men were recruited from Deegan's own crime family—those serving under his lieutenant, Jessos Rains—and the other five were from his criminal rival, Mr. Winters.
   Sergio and Obrov rode in the lead wagon, the latter holding the reins. They were two of Rains' most loyal men. Both knew her story, knew the threat Deegan and his sons posed, and both were prepared to die if need be.
   Jessos "The Butcher" Rains herself rode in the second wagon, surrounded mostly by the other men who volunteered for the mission. She spent most of the trip in silence. Her hatchets holstered on her belt, she sat cross-legged in the wagon, her hands on her knees, her posture relaxed, her eyes closed. She meditated frequently on the upcoming moment. The moment of Deegan's death, and her own as soon as she killed him, due to the runic magic on her chest. And nothing but joy filled her heart and her mind.
   Sharon Gordon, Jorge Vrouge, and Charles Bowen rode in the third wagon. They talked among themselves and to their mutual friend Gabriel for the journey's duration. And it was Sharon and Gabe's doing that the four of them, along with five of Mr. Winters' other enforcers, were present. The former plan to find and kill Deegan, involving a man named McMurray and a raid on Deegan's treasury, was put on hold in favor of this one. They need only bring back proof of Deegan's death to prevent the old plan from moving forward. To prevent a criminal street war.
   And to stop that war from happening in Reajh, another needed to be fought at Deegan's doorstep in Cerenis.
   So the convoy pushed onward to the outskirts of Cerenis.

The convoy stopped a few hours out from the edge of Cerenis. The sun hung low in the yellowing sky, casting long shadows from the trees of the forest around the convoy. The sound of flowing water was near the road at this spot.
   A number of Rains' men got to work with axes, chopping and collecting wood for a fire. Sergio and Obrov circled the wagons on the road, and went about feeding the horses. Other men took out some of the rifles and stood watch around the circled wagons. Winters' men didn't contribute much to the work of building the camp; they just stood around the fourth wagon, eating salted meat and bullshiting and laughing among themselves.

Sharon and Charles stayed inside the camp formed by the circled wagons. Sharon absentmindedly munched on a potato while Charles cleaned one of his dual pistols for the third time during the journey.
   Sharon watched as two of Rains' men dropped armfuls of cut wood into the center of camp. Another man came with a sack of rocks and started to make a ring of them around the wood, building a fire pit.
   Now that they were so close to Cerenis, Sharon couldn't hold back her worry. She glanced at Charles. Said, "What do you think we're going to find in there? Rains was...pretty certain about what she said. Back in Reajh. About Deegan and whatever it is he's been doing. I'm...I don't know."
   Charles didn't look up. Kept wiping his pistols with the cloth rag. "Nervous?"
   "Yes. No." She hesitated. "Well, yes and no. Don't get me wrong, I want to see this through. I mean, we got so lucky that Rains turned out to be Deegan's lieutenant."
   "I wasn't a big fan of Earnhardt's plan either. Not one bit of it."
   "I'll second that. Again." Then she mumbled, "That fucking asshole..."
   Charles chuckled. Kept cleaning the pistol.
   "Well, what do you think?" She was hardly touching her potato now. "How bad could it be? I've seen...horrific magic. What could possibly be worse than that?"
   Charles put the pistol back into its holster on his belt. Looked at Sharon. "You know what I think? Doesn't much matter what's in there. We're here to kill Deegan. That's it. All this talk about evil this and evil that...it's nothing. Just bullshit. Don't let it bother you. Everybody's done things. And if somebody hasn't yet, they will, if they just live long enough. So maybe Deegan's done a bit more. Maybe he hasn't. Like I said, doesn't matter." He leaned toward Sharon. "Just stay focused. I don't care what Rains said to you back in that mill. This isn't about that. We kill Deegan, we keep Merissa, and Niko, and Siro safe. You got that? That's what matters. That's the right thing to do. That's why you and I are really here."
   Sharon didn't say anything in response. Just nodded. And slowly started to eat her potato again.

Jorge and three of Rains' men had gone down to the nearby river. They each shed their clothes off and waded into the gentle flow of the water. Started bathing, giving each other plenty of space, washing off the sweat and stink from hard work and long travels. The three men boasted to one another about how many kills they were going to get tomorrow once the assault began. Jorge kept to himself. Thought about some of his favorite working girls back in Reajh to pass the time as he scrubbed his body. Might have to pay Lazuli a visit when he got back. Celebrate in style.
   Rains appeared through the trees and the brush, walking down the slight hill to the river. The three men each glanced at her, then immediately acted like she wasn't there at all and went on boasting. Jorge stared. Somewhat perplexed.
   Rains undid her chestwrap. Took off her boots and socks and laid each neatly by the water's edge. Then slid out of her pants and belt and underwear. Set all of her clothes by her boots. She walked into the waist-high water then. Stood near, but not too close, to Jorge. Started bathing as if she were the only one in the river. Washing everything but her dreadlocks.
   Jorge just grinned. It took a lot to smack him speechless, but that had done it.
   He soaked in the moment even after his thoughts cleared up. Watched her bathe for a full minute. Then, finally, he said, "Well now, if it ain't Jessos Rains herself. In the flesh. Don't think we've been properly introduced, love. Name's Jorge."
   Her back mostly to him, she merely glanced over her shoulder. A curt little smile. Then went back to bathing.
   Jorge chuckled. "I'll have you know that I was this close—looky here, this close—to volunteering to take Sharon's spot in our little McMurray heist. I mean, fuckin' hell, she was gonna have all the fun and I was supposed to be, what, some big dumb lug? That job don't make for no rousin' stories. And, let me tell ya, love, that wouldn'ta been the first time I slapped on some ladies' threads for the team."
   Rains stopped bathing. Turned around in the water to face him. Cocked her head some. Entertained the strange man. "And what stopped you?"
   A big grin spread across his face. "Well, I thought to myself: 'Alright, champ, that's all well and good, but what's gonna happen when she's got you in bed, pulls down your frilly little panties, and a big ol' swingin' dick comes flying out, eh?'" Jorge threw his head back and laughed. "And I like to think of myself as a gentleman. So I decided to spare you the trouble of havin' to beat my ass for some silly shenanigans. See, I'm a really a nice guy once you get to know me."
   Rains smiled back. Amused. Then she rubbed her cheeks and her chin with a hand, indicating the burns on Jorge's face. "You would have been...horrible for the job."
   "Oh, no offense taken, love. You ain't exactly my type, either. There's one hell of a fine line between a girl who can play the kind of rough I like and a girl who could literally stomp my ugly ass into the ground. And you don't look like the former, I'll tell ya that much."

The work of setting up camp continued, as did the banter among the men. Humor served one of its time-honored purposes as an antidote to the anxiety, the fear, of a battle to come.
   And by tomorrow's end, not all who came would leave.

Gawfy

Gabe rode along the wagon with the others on the way to Deegan, only speaking up to answer questions. Mostly spending his time taking in the scenery around them as they rode.  Occasionally getting dirty looks from the same men who he hurt days before. If it wasn't for the healing salves Rains got Some of them would still be laying around in a bed right now. The Convoy stopped And Rains men got to work building a campsite.  Gabe Ate with the others and wandered into the woods While some ate and others bathed.  Gabe kept up with his daily routine. Finding a tree with a low hanging branch he pulled himself up then down, he kept this up until he couldnt pull himself up anymore.  After resting a bit he was back at it. With his brass knuckles on he was throwing punches at a dead tree that was nearby. His mind was racing about how things where about to go down.  After beating the tree for a while Gabe Stopped, breathing heavily he noticed his hand was wet again. He looked down to find he reopened the cut on his hand.

Valtxr

Sharon finished eating and took a look around the camp. Jorge wasn't there. Neither was Rains. Same with Gabe.
   "I'll be back," she said to Charles, who grunted in affirmation.
   Sharon walked around to one of the wagons. Jumped into the back of it and searched for the crate of medical supplies. Found it. Took out a roll of silk bandages and slid them into her pocket and hopped down from the wagon.
   One of Rains' men sparked the fire in the firepit. Poked at it with a stick, growing it. The sun still held firm on the horizon, if unseen through the trees of the forest. The last hour of daylight was fading quickly.
   Sharon crossed the camp, passed the fire, and out into the forest where she thought she had seen several people go. Gabe was probably out that way, doing his thing again. He exercised until exhaustion every single day of the journey. Shadowboxed even past that point. And still sometimes he'd practice his martial skills on the trees of the forest. It was as if he simply willed himself beyond the limits of his body, and somehow, someway, he kept finding those hidden reserves of strength to keep pushing himself.
   At least, that's what Sharon saw, the few times she saw him training during the journey.
   She heard dull thuds off in the distance. The sound of something smacking against thick wood.
   She headed that way.
   Finally, she caught sight of him. Of the last punch he threw at the dead tree. His heavy breathing. The blood on his injured hand.
   "I figured you might do that," Sharon said as she stepped forward, making her presence known. She took out the roll of silk bandages and unraveled a long strip. Bit into it and tore it from the roll and placed the roll back into her pocket.
   "Here. Let me," Sharon said, walking up next to him. She carefully took hold of his bloodied hand and started wrapping the bandage around it. She looped the bandage around his hand several times. Pulled it somewhat tight. Wrapped the loose end around into a small knot to secure it.
   "Sorry if this stings. I'm not much of a doctor." She sandwiched Gabe's newly bandaged hand between her own, applying a fair amount of pressure to stop the bleeding.
   As she held his hand like that, a few uneasy thoughts crossed through her mind. Concern narrowed her brow. Robbed the light from her eyes.
   Sharon looked at Gabe. Asked a question that seemed like it was directed to herself as much as it was to him.
   "Are you going to be okay?"
   The gentle sound of the flowing river nearby. The last few songs of the birds before the night. The rustle of the leaves in the light breeze.
   The calm before the storm.

Gawfy

Thanks. Gabe said as Sharon bandaged his hand. Gabe offered her a smile as she asked her next question. Yeah ill be fine, Just a little cut is all. He said as he raised his now bandaged hand.  Gotta question for ya Sharon, Out of all of the Jobs you could take in this world why do this? Personal preference or another reason? Gabe asked as he got out his water Jug he carried out with him and started drinking.

Valtxr

Sharon smiled for a split second when Gabe answered. A meek gesture. She averted her eyes, the same uneasy thoughts intruding into her mind again.
   It wasn't quite the answer she was looking for. But then, she wasn't really sure what sort of answer she wanted to hear. From Gabe or herself.
   So she let it go. Let his bandaged hand slip free of her own hands.
   A question. She looked at him again when he asked it.
   Sharon stood there for a moment. Thinking. Her eyes trailing down to the forest floor as she did. She held her hands in front of herself, squeezing her right hand with her left.
   She looked at Gabe. Opened her mouth halfway to answer. Stopped. Her eyes trailing again. Then, with a renewed resolve, she met his eyes once more.
   Said quietly, "I...I want to say that it's for my sister Siro. That this is something I have to do to keep her safe. And I wish I could say that. I really do. That would...I think that would make me a better person if I truly felt that way."
   A flash of shame, and her eyes dropped just enough to no longer make contact with Gabe's.
   She shook her head. Continued in the same low voice. A near whisper. "But I'd be lying to you if I said that. The truth is...I'm doing this for myself. I want to see what's in that manor. No, I need to see what's in that manor. If Rains is right about everything she said, about Deegan and everything...I feel like I have to see it with my own eyes. Like I owe it to myself or something. I just...I don't know why, but I just...I want to know what true evil looks like."
   It took her another moment to muster the will to look up at him again. An almost penitent gaze, as if she were seeking forgiveness for even saying what she had said.
   "Is that... Did that sound, I don't know, strange or anything? This feeling...it's clear as day in my heart, but I'm not sure how to put it into words exactly. Please tell me that made some kind of sense to you."
   Even after all that, Sharon knew she still hadn't answered her first question to herself.
   Maybe she wouldn't know that answer until it too late to turn back.

Gawfy

Gabe continued to drink as Sharon spoke to him. He set the empty water bottle down as She finished with her thought. Dont know why you would want to see somthing evil, Keep in mind when you see somthing evil it also Sees you, if that makes sense.Gabe said As he Turned to Sharon. A man is usually nothing more then The sum of his actions, And i would imagine Winters and Deegan Are devils in that regard. I mean i dont see how you could Life the life they do and not turn out Wicked.
Gabe Then Spread out  onto the grassy soil  as a salty breeze passed over the forest.  Everything hurt, but such things never really Bothered him that much. What i meant was why be a criminal in the first place? Im sure you could find a hostess job or a Cleaning gig somewhere, There a reason? Gabe's head turned back to the direction of the caravan. Charles must have alot of experience under his belt to keep doing this making everything else a waste of time job wise, Jorge Likes the pay and the benefits i suppose, And Rains Well I guess "fate" decided for her. But why are you out here? Gabe looked back at his hand then back at Sharon I guess i just couldn't see you doing this forever, And im sure your Kid sister is gonna wanna grow up too be like her big sister. Does she know what you do for a living?

Valtxr

Gabe had a point. About evil. About the corrupting nature of even coming in contact with it. Sharon felt it firsthand—at least, she thought she had—back in Reajh, in Rains' bedroom, when Aven appeared and marked Rains with that killing curse.
   It was hard for her to imagine something more twisted than that. Than magic. What could normal men and women even do to surpass the horrific possibilities offered by magic?
   The thought of seeing it was both terrifying and compelling. Abhorrent and irresistible.
   It was less about what she would see in Deegan's manor. Instead, it was more about what she would find in herself after she saw it. If she could discover her own moral limits. Or not.
   But Sharon stayed silent on the matter. Feeling vulnerable, exposed, and a little embarrassed for what she had already said. Feeling even more so on all three counts after Gabe lay down in the grass and clarified his question.
   She sat down against the dead tree, her boots on the ground and legs bent. Her arms resting on her knees.
   "She does. She does now, anyway, thanks to Jorge." Sharon paused. "I would've liked for her not to know for a while longer. At least until she was a bit older, but...she doesn't like it, I know she doesn't. But I think she understands. I hope she does."
   Sharon looked off toward the sound of the flowing water. "Siro's seen the absolute bottom. She's lived her whole life with nothing. Up until these last six months I've been working for Winters, she's only ever known struggle. She knows what its like to be pathetic. Worthless. Hungry and cold all the time. Spit on. Ignored. Lower than a wild animal. To be nothing."
   Sharon paused again. Keeping her gaze away from Gabe and toward the flowing water. "Our father left us to fend for ourselves. Abandoned us when Siro was only one year old. He was always a coward. Nothing but a god damn coward." Sharon swallowed. "He used to beat my mother and I when his merchant job went under in Arca. But he didn't lift a finger when Siro's mother was murdered right in front of him. He just...he just fucking disappeared the next day. Never seen him since. I was twenty years old then. I had no skills, didn't know anyone in Reajh because my father was always paranoid after he got the new job, and I had baby Siro to look after. So I begged."
   Sharon absentmindedly wiped at her eyes with the back of her hand. "Most people took one look at me on the street and thought I was a whore. That Siro was my daughter born out of wedlock, and that I'd been shunned from my family for it. Some people pitied that fiction and tossed their spare coins at me. Most just sneered and moved on. It...it was degrading either way."
   She cleared her throat. Still trying to hide the emotions on her face and in her voice. "I suppose I could've been a prostitute, if I had the stomach for it. Fitting, really. At least then I would've had some kind of purpose. I never found an opportunity for anything else. There just wasn't enough work to go around for everyone in Reajh...and I was one of the unfortunate ones. The refuse of society."
   Sharon finally looked to Gabe again. A hint of red in her eyes. A meek smile. "And then Charles found me. Mr. Winters likes to do these 'philanthropy runs', where a bunch of his men will go into the neighborhoods of Reajh and just give away gold coins. Gets the support of the people, especially the poor. Those were the best days of the year for someone like me. Siro always thought it was some kind of holiday, where these big, tough men with big sacks of coin would come through and reward all the good little boys and girls. Well, Charles saw me six months ago and...to this day, I don't know what he saw in me. But he asked me to come with him. I said yes. He asked if I ever shot a gun before. I said I could try. And, lucky me, wouldn't you know it, I actually found something that I had a natural talent for; I hit both bottles dead on, first two shots I'd ever fired in my life. Then Charles asked if I wanted to make a little money, that he had a job and he needed an extra hand to help him out. And that was that."
   Sharon slowly pushed herself back up onto her feet. Brushed her pants, shirt, and underbust off. Took in a proud breath. "I know exactly what I've been doing. I know that this job can be dirty, cruel, and ruthless. I know what it's costed me so far, and what it might cost Siro if I'm not careful. But it's offered me the only shred of dignity I've ever known in my whole life. At least now I'm somebody, rather than nobody. And maybe...this is what I'm meant to do forever."
   The dying of the light. The dark of night settling into the forest.

Gawfy

Its funny. Gabe said as the blanket of Dusk washed over the area. People like me and Jorge are pretty rare in our line of work. Gabe said as he sat himself up. Jorge just likes the pay and Im only good at Hurting people, and we both have nothing to lose. Gabe said as he looked up to Sharon  Doesnt matter how many times i Throw myself into Danger i always come out alright for the most part, even if i did die Nothing much would change. Gabe pointed to her Neck, Compared to you who has everything to lose, charles as well. Most of the guys i meet out in the field have a wife, kid, or sibling that they get to look forward to when they get home. Gabe scrambled onto his feet really feeling his sore body. Yet despite that they still get killed or jailed, Aint it odd that the men most fitted to dying in a ditch never do?  Gabe said as walked over to Sharon and clapped his hands on her shoulders. Dont get me wrong now i aint suicidal or nuthin like that, just had a passing thought is all.   Gabe said with a grin on his face.
You know maybe after this is over you should find someone to spend all of your time with, I heard Jorge is single. Gabe said with a chuckle as he made his way back to their makeshift campsite.

Valtxr

Nothing to lose.
   Sharon was surprised to find how much she envied Gabe, and even Jorge, in that regard. She loved Siro to death, but the constant fearing and worrying for her safety always had Sharon wound up tight. Always cautious, always wary, always on the razor's edge. It was impossible not to be. Sharon had her own hopes and dreams and desires, but her life wasn't truly her own. It belonged to Siro as much as it did to her.
   Gabe pointed to her neck, and immediately she rubbed it. Felt the ghostly hands of one of Rains' men choking the life from her. Every risk she took came at a higher price than someone like Gabe or Jorge would ever have to pay.
   And another poignant sentiment from Gabe. Jorge was still around, as was Gabe and probably the few others like them. But Charles had told Sharon too many stories of the other men he'd worked with over the years as a sword-for-hire and as an enforcer. He knew so many widows. So many orphans. And yet the Jorges and Gabes of the world somehow made it through the thick and thin of the mercenary/criminal life. Maybe Rains was onto something. Maybe fate was a cruel, capricious, and malevolent force. A force that could never be bested, only accepted or denied, with either "choice" having no impact on the outcome of one's life.
   Sharon's expression strained under the weight of all her thoughts.
   So Gabe's grin and subsequent comment caught her completely off guard.
   First, puzzlement. Next, his words finally registered. Then, a humorous flustering like no other.
   Sharon followed after him. She let out a big huff of air, but she couldn't hide a big grin of her own. "Ew, Gabe, seriously? Jorge? C'mon, are you kidding me? That's just nasty. What are you going to say next? That I should grease up my hair, put it in a bun, and get matching face burns?"
   A welcome diffusion of tension. Enough with the troubling thoughts for one night.

Jorge and Rains slowly approached the campsite, fully clothed and dried off now, from the river. The orange glow of the crackling firepit drawing them in.
   "Oh, I'll tell you why you gotta be ready for anything if you ever think about givin' that new brothel behind the Market Street a look-see," said Jorge. "I mean, I thought Ophelia was a girl's name too. Wouldn't anybody? I'll swear to Ansgar or whatever god you like, love, but Ophelia had the smoothest damn skin and most effeminate hands I'd ever bloody well seen. And felt. Goddamn irresistible. Prettier face than a lot of other women I've seen before, I'll tell you that much too. Granted, I was drunk and high at the time, but I was stone-cold sober when I woke up. Even then, I didn't realize it until he rolled out of bed. And you know what, love? I still didn't give a flyin' fuck. I had a fuckin' blast. I'm an open-minded sorta guy. Expensive joint, that new brothel, but I wouldn't mind goin' back for seconds."
   Rains kept up an amused smile during the entire story. Walked alongside Jorge, her arms folded behind her back. "And do you usually find yourself in such...strange situations?"
   "Only when I'm drunk. Or high. Or drunk and high." Jorge laughed. "Which is why you should get me drunk and high when this is all said and done, love. Now look, I know, you've told me about your tastes. And so did my boss' boss, Earnhardt."
   Rains snorted. "How disconcerting that he should know..."
   "Yep. I know. What a son-of-a-bitch, am I right? Me, Sharon, and Charles all feel the same way. But as I was sayin', you really oughta stop by and meet Ophelia, love. Those effeminate hands of his'll give you the best goddamn massage you've ever had in your goddamn life. Sure he ain't a girl, but you won't even know the difference is what I'm sayin'. And, trust me, there's nothing else he'd rather be doing with his life, so you don't have to worry about that neither. He'd love nothin' more than to massage those tender little feetsies of yours until you just can't climax anymore."
   Rains stopped once they reached the circled wagons. Stood at the darkened periphery of the camp with Jorge. Allowed herself to entertain the idea of living past tomorrow. The fantasy of it. The false notion of it.
   A non-binding answer. "Tomorrow will come. And it will pass. Perhaps you will be among those who will see the sun rise again the following day."
   Jorge just chuckled. "Ah, so we've got a big fuckin' battle on our hands and a bunch a' people are gonna die and we might even get completely fucked over. Well...that ain't no reason to be so gloomy, now is it?"
   Rains only smirked. She had accepted her fate long before this moment.
   She stepped forward into the camp proper, Jorge behind her. The dancing orange glow of the campfire only just illuminated her body as she stood and watched the men assembling closer to the flames.
   Sergio and Obrov stood on one side of the campfire. The eight men belonging to Rains and the five men belonging to Winters all gathered around and were finding a place to sit or crouch on the other side of the fire. Charles stood behind the thirteen men, his arms crossed.
   "Alright boys, listen up..." Sergio said as he prepared to give the briefing on the battle plan.

Gawfy

Gabe Chuckled along side Sharon as they made their way back to the camp. He Silently joined the others around the fire As Sergio Laid out the battle plan for tomorrow. Gabe stood around wondering How things where going to Go down tomorrow.

Valtxr

Charles looked to his side when he heard Gabe and Sharon's footsteps. Gave a slight nod of acknowledgement.
   Sergio started, "Tomorrow, we move out to the edge of town. That's where we'll meet the boss' contacts from Anatta. One of you Winters boys will stay back and watch the wagons. Deegan's manor will be on the other side of town from this spot, so we'll move around the outside edge of town to it. Stay loose and in the forest. Try not to draw too much attention."
   Sergio crouched down to a small display he had constructed: a big rock, a straight silk bandage to the left of the rock, and a small mound of dirt to the left of the bandage. "Here is Deegan's manor, this rock. There's a small road in front of it, this bandage. We'll set up here, on this ridge next to the road. Deegan's manor is about a hundred or two hundred paces from the town's edge, so once the Anatta members dispel the illusion magic and it appears, consider that shithole a free-fire zone. No townsfolk or guards should be anywhere nearby."
   Sergio stood back up. "Here's what we know, my friends. Deegan's got four magically-enhanced rifles at his disposal. Nasty fucking things. Shoot concentrated bolts of lightning magic. He'll have four marksmen at the windows of the manor once this starts. Aim true, my friends; they'll be able to shoot at us a lot faster than we will at them. And we don't want to get pinned down."
   "And then," he continued, "there are Deegan's sons, Deitrus and Morgan. Morgan is a skilled fire mage, but we don't know exactly what he's capable of. He'll be carrying a staff, so be on guard: pop that son of a bitch as soon as you see him. Don't bother shooting at Deitrus—he'll just block it with his enchanted shield. Just watch your fire and let our heavy hitters," Sergio glanced to Gabe and Rains, "get in close and deal with him. After all six of these fucks are dead, the manor will be ours."
   Sergio clapped his hands together. "Rest well tonight, my friends. And stay calm and cool tomorrow."
   With that, the men all started to get up at various speeds. A few went to watch duty, and the others either jumped into one of the wagons or pulled out their bedrolls.
   Charles glanced to Sharon. She returned it, a renewed look of worry on her face.
   "Hey," Charles said in an almost consoling tone, "don't freeze up out there. Just keep your head down, shoot straight, and pay all the magic no mind. Remember why we're here."
   Sharon nodded. "Yeah. Of course."
   Jorge wandered away and jumped into one of the wagons, securing a spot to sleep for the night.
   Rains hooked her thumbs into her belt and sauntered up to Gabe. An enthusiastic smile. She stood close to him, within his personal space. Looked him up and down.
   And said, "On the front line. Against Deitrus. This body and yours. These eyes are eager to see what your hands can do. They long to be impressed. And so it is hoped that you will do just that."
   A flash of intense hatred in her eyes. "Make Deitrus suffer for what he has done. Make him suffer for what he continues to do. And then end him."

Gawfy

Gabe Looked to the fire for most of the explanation, but noted the important parts. The marksmen and Deegan's sons. Everyone departed, save for Rains and Himself. Something stuck out to gabe when She spoke to him. "end" Him.  Gabe usually turned a blind eye to others killing people he had stuck down. But kill someone? That was something he had not done. Ive never killed anyone before if thats what you mean by end. Gabe looked down at his hands. Ive made people wish they where dead with these fists but ive never directly killed with them. He admitted as he looked back to Rains. What has he done to warrant such Hate? Has he wronged you personally or Is it related to those girls im supposed to Get out of that manor?

Valtxr

Rains' smile didn't wane as Gabe spoke. She listened attentively, her eyes locked on his even when he looked down.
   Then she took another step forward, closing the already small distance between them. Her chestwraps pressed lightly against Gabe's own chest. Both her hands found his. Gave them each a tight squeeze. Her gaze still locked on him.
   "Not so different, these hands and yours. There was once a time when they were clean, like yours. A time long passed. Perhaps yours will follow a similar path. Perhaps not."
   She let go. Took a small step back from him.
   "Very well. Leave Deitrus battered and broken at Deegan's doorstep. Then follow, and you, Sharon, and all who wish to see will be shown the evil that Deitrus and Morgan have inherited from their father. An evil in which they gleefully indulge. And then, when you have seen it with your own eyes...it will be left to you to decide what should be done with Deitrus. It is hoped that your heart will guide you to the one truly righteous punishment for such a man, as this heart has with Deegan."
   Rains laid a hand up on Gabe's shoulder. Said, "Rest well," before she walked off to one of the wagons and jumped in and lay down.
   Charles and Sharon, who both had stayed out of curiosity, were looking at Gabe. A thought visibly crossed Charles' mind, a flash of it just behind his eyes, but he said nothing. He made his way to one of the wagons to sleep.
   Sharon tried to offer Gabe a smile, but it came off as half-hearted. Her worry overpowered it. Would Gabe be forced to cross a line that he couldn't come back from? Would they both?
   Sharon lowered her head and hurried off to the wagon with her bedroll in it. She grabbed it, took it back close to the campfire, unrolled it, and slipped inside.
   Closed her eyes.
   And tried to sleep.

Gawfy

Gabe Clenched his fist as he Rains left. This world was cruel and heartless as it was, It was just a fact that some people are better off dead. The problem with this sentiment is that you can not calculate a sum of a man's sins In one fist fight. He wondered this as he headed over To his own bedroll and dropped on top of it. Every Muscle breathing a sigh of relief as he tumbled over no longer having to be worked. Gabe would eventually drift into a slumber.

Valtxr

The first light of the new day broke through the thin morning fog of the forest.
   Sharon, Charles, Jorge, Rains, and all the men were each roused one after another; some by the hazy daylight, some by the commotion of the others.
   There was no more humor among the men. No more boasting and prideful proclaimations of the feats they would accomplish. A mostly silent ordeal to pack up the campsite and arrange the wagons back into a line on the road. A quiet and grim air of duty among the men.
   The upcoming battle was no longer some distant thing, vague and untouchable in the dim light of the near future.
   It was happening. Today. And they were all slipping inevitably toward it, pushed along inescapably by the slow and firm hand of time. Whether they feared the coming moment or not.
   The wagons, all loaded up, headed toward Cerenis.

The convoy stopped at the edge of the forest, with the town of Cerenis and the ocean in sight past the grassy clearing. A beautiful day had emerged from the dissipating fog. The clouds above parted just enough to let the sun shine and reflect off the waters of the far ocean.
   Rains jumped out of her wagon. Approached three robed figures standing by one of the last few trees. Two were men; a bald one with plentiful facial tattoos, the other a younger blond man. The third was a woman with short, wild hair, her gray robe slightly darker the ones worn by the men.
   Rains hugged each of them, and they hugged her back. Joyful smiles among all four of them.
   Sharon, Charles, Jorge, and the men all jumped from the wagons next. The men all grabbed their rifles and marksman's kits from the wagons—some even grabbed two firearms. A few also grabbed a sword and shield. One of Rains' men grabbed a crate of Ignis Root and Crystal Vane.
   Sergio and Obrov pulled the wagons off to the side of the road. One of Winters' men stood watch by them. He shook hands with the other four of Winters' men.
   Once Rains finished talking with the Anatta members, she turned to the group assembled in the road. Gestured her head toward the edge of the forest leading around the town.
   And she started, followed by the Anatta members, and followed by the rest of the men.
   Everyone spread out far and wide. Kept the trees and brush between them and the sight of Cerenis.
   Sharon stayed close to Charles on the trek.
   And her heart beat in protest with each step.

They all reached a rendezvous point. Just at the foot of the gentle slope of the ridge mentioned in the battle plan. Deegan's manor just on the other side. Hidden from sight. Nothing but trees and foliage around them.
   And Rains had begun to give a short sermon. The Anatta members all kneeled before her, as did Sergio and five others of Rains' men. All of Winters' men remained standing, as did Sharon, Charles, Jorge, and Obrov.
   Rains had her arms behind her back. Paced slowly. "Who among you has a trembling heart? Who among you harbors fear in the mind? Who among you has felt the cold chill of doubt sweeping through the body?"
   Rains flicked her eyes to Sharon. Sharon bit her bottom lip. Said nothing.
   And Rains continued, "All illusions. All born from the lack of proper prospective. Turn back the wheel of time and ask yourself, 'What has led to this moment'? And turn back the wheel once more, and ask again. Do this until your very first moment, until your first taste of the Earth's air, and you will see the path of your life laid out before you. And you will see that there is only one path." Rains held up a finger. Glanced out over all the men. Said again, "One path. There is no other way for your life to be. This one life will always be this one way, for this is not a life that has come before nor is this the life to come next. This is the life you have now, and its path has been set long before you were born. You were always going to be here. Here, with weapons in your hands, like-minded men around you, and a foe just beyond the crest of this ridge. But what? What does this mean for you?"
   Rains uncrossed her arms from her back and spread her hands out wide. "This means that you are meant to be here." She took the time to point to everyone individually—Gabe, Sharon, Charles, and Jorge included. Looked them each in the eyes with a devout fervor as she did so. "Yes. Each. And every. One. Of you. All of you have been blessed with meaning, endowed with purpose, entrusted with delivering this righteous justice. Fate has ordained no other hands but yours. You, and you alone, carry this sacred burden."
   Rains raised her voice. "And Deegan will fall this day. For just as this triumphant moment is yours, so too does the coming defeat and downfall belong to Deegan. This is what fate has decreed!"
   Rains stopped pacing. Lowered her voice. An intimate tone. "And so shall you fight, with steel in your eyes and valor in your heart. And so shall you claim victory, for today, in this moment, you will do a greater deed than you have ever done, and a greater deed than you will ever know. And if this is your time to die, fear not. For it is said, 'Rejoice, for as surely as the night comes to blacken your eyes, the light of dawn will once more banish the darkness. And there shall be naught but joy in your heart, for this moment has always been upon you'."

Gawfy

Gabe was one of the first to wake up that morning. The cool air Still lingering around as every one packed their things up. He hopped into a wagon with Sharon and Charles riding with them to the edge of the manor. While every other person had a emotionless or grave look on their face Gabe wore one of vigor and anger. He knew what he had to do. Whoever in that manor had to die so others may live.
Gabe hopped out of the Wagon and proceeded to listen to Rain's Speech. He knew one thing, He was not going to die today. It didn't matter how strong or how many he had to face, He would overcome Them like he always had. He had no other options but to.
Enough Talk, Lets get this show on the road.   Gabe said with Renewed Vigor.

Valtxr

"Yeah, let's do this thing," said one of Winters' men.
   Sergio and the rest of the kneeling men stood. He said, "Alright, my friends. Stay low and quiet until the manor is revealed."
   The Anatta cultists stood as well, and Rains approached them. Clapped her hands on the woman's shoulders. "Thank you for this, Nyetta. Walk the path, sister."
   The dark gray-robed woman, Nyetta, smiled. "The one true path, sister."
   And with that, Nyetta led the other two cultists away from the group and the ridge and into the forest. They would need to be much closer to dispel the illusion magic.

The men all lay prone in the grass, barely over the crest of the ridge, just enough to see their target. With the illusion magic still active, there was no manor to be seen. It merely looked like a flat, grassy clearing with some sparse tree cover on either side. The water of the ocean splashed against the small cliff behind this 'clearing' and the sparse trees. The town of Cerenis itself was to the group's right side, downhill, and far down the road.
   Sharon had her main pistol in hand. Her chin in the dirt of the ridge. Her body pressed flat to the ground. As did Charles and Jorge.
   Rains had taken one of the extra matchlock rifles from the men. Gripped it tightly as she crouched behind the crest of the ridge. An eager smile.
   A small pack of seabirds flew up from behind the cliffs. Gently calling to each other.
   Charles tapped Sharon's knee. "Get ready."
   Some of the men shifted. Steadied the weapons.
   Nyetta and the other two Anatta members were coming up the road below the ridge. They had their hoods up and their hands tucked into the large sleeves of their robes. They looked like a trio of traveling monks. Appearing harmless, as their unseen hands worked to counter and dispel the powerful illusion hiding Deegan's manor.
   "Steady," Sergio said softly to the men. "Don't waste your shot. Wait until you see movement."
   Nyetta and the cultists walked slower as they got closer. Gave themselves more time to finish the counterspell.
   "Hold..." said Obrov.
   Then it happened. Right as Nyetta and the other two were directly below the group.
   Reality seemed to shift. The grassy clearing appeared to fall into itself, crushed down to a single point. Then the large white manor snapped into existence. And all was normal again.
   A black wrought-iron fence, punctuated by seven-foot-tall gray stone pillars at evenly spaced intervals, wrapped around the perimeter of the manor. A large courtyard with a fountain in the center separated the gate of the fence from the manor itself.
   Nyetta and the two cultists, taken by surprise at the sudden completion of their spell, each dived to cover behind three of the stone pillars of the perimeter fence.
   "Aim true, boys!" Sergio snarled.
   "Eyes on the windows," Charles said.
   The front side of the manor had eight windows; four on the ground floor, four on the second floor. And Deegan's marksmen could be at any one of them.
   A quiet, tense moment passed.
   And another.
   "Where the fuck are they?" Jorge said.
   A few men shifted their bodies. Adjusted their aim. Dead leaves crunching under their weight. An almost deafening noise.
   Sharon wiped some sweat from her forehead. Used the back of her hand to wipe it from her eyes. Blinked. Aimed her pistol again.
   Nyetta, all the way down the ridge and across the road and pressed against the stone pillar, glanced back up toward the group. A face of trepidation.
   Rains inched forward. Staying crouched and duck-walking slowly. Just enough to see over the crest of the ridge. To get eyes on the manor. She pressed the butt of the rifle into her shoulder. Held it low and ready.
   A shadow. Something. Something moved in one of the second floor windows.
   "You see that?" Sharon whispered.
   "Yeah, I saw it." Charles replied.
   "Easy men," said Sergio. "Easy..."
   Obrov glanced over to Sergio. Opened his mouth to say something.
   And Obrov's head exploded. A wicked, blue bolt of lightning magic hit him dead on.
   Another bolt. Cracking loudly like a whip through the air. Hitting one of Rains' men in the arm and severing it clean from the shoulder.
   The glass from the two second floor windows hadn't even hit the ground yet before both men were dead.
   "Open fire!" Sergio yelled.
   Half the men fired their shots. Rains stood up, aimed, and fired hers. Then crouched back down, a blue bolt cracking by just over her head.
   The glass from the two of the bottom floor windows blew out. Two bolts of lightning hit the stone pillar Nyetta was hiding behind. Rubble fell to the ground and dust rose in the air, but the pillar held.
   "Reloading!" called out one of the men.
   "Two, second floor. Two, bottom floor. Blown out windows," Charles yelled as he aimed and fired his main pistol.
   A blue lightning bolt sliced the air between Charles and Sharon. The sharp crack of the shot muting the sound of the world. Sharon slid back into the defilade of the ridge as another bolt hit her old position, kicking up a geyser of dirt from the ridge.
   A bolt from the bottom floor hit the young, blond Anatta member; the side of his body had stuck out too far from the protection of his pillar and got hit. He spun through the air and collapsed face first into the road, a splatter of blood next to him.
   Then the front door of the manor opened.
   And out came Deitrus.
   A tall man. Enchanted shield in one hand, longsword in the other, clad in chainmail and leather armor, his face hidden by a full helm. He stepped out into the courtyard. Banged his sword against his shield three times.
   Rains tossed her rifle to the ground. Unholstered her hatchets from her belt. And grinned at Gabe as more lightning bolts slammed into the ridge and dirt sailed high into the air.
   "Into the breach," she said.
   And she leapt up onto the crest of the ridge and started running down the other side toward the road and the manor. Blue bolts struck the ridge near her. Dirt exploded up into her face. But still she ran.
   Nyetta cast a quick spell to unlock and push open the gate of the perimeter fence as Rains approached. Jorge and Sharon and the men who hadn't fired in the initial volley took aim and provided covering fire for them, drawing the attention of the marksmen in the windows back to the shooters on the ridge and off of Rains and Gabe.
   And Rains slowed down as she entered the courtyard. Stared down Deitrus as she approached. Glaring at him from under her brow. Hatchets held low and to either side of her.
   Deitrus banged his sword against his shield one more time. And pointed his weapon at his challengers.
   Beckoned for them to come forward.

Gawfy

Gabe followed Rains down the hill almost ignoring the blue streaks of death that where racing past him as they ran. Then Eyeing the man up that came into the courtyard. Gabe started Walking to the man's Right and stopped as he was at his side.
Chain mail and a sword? You didnt tell me He was this much of a Pussy.Gabe said with a smirk towards Rains. His mind was racing, He never Aimed to kill or maim that badly whenever he fought, but with his newfound resolve he was thinking of where to strike. The Neck was Fragile, Also the soft spots in between the ribs. Get the helm off and Send Shards of his nose into his brain. Gabe then Inhaled taking his arms and doing half circles before getting into a fighting stance he had never taken,
Right leg front Left back. Right arm stretched out Left arm relaxed. Fingers out stretched instead of balled up in a fist. Killing intent Radiating off of him.He then Exhaled. Ready for a deadly confrontation

Valtxr

"Sharon!" Charles shouted.
   She looked to him. He had the loaded rifle from the dead man that was missing an arm. He tossed it to her and pulled out his reserve pistol. Said as she caught it, "I'll draw some fire. You need to nail one of those fuckers. Ready?"
   She nodded as two blue bolts heated the air overhead. "Ready."
   Charles low-crawled up to the crest of the ridge. Aimed his pistol at one of the manor's broken windows. Fired.
   Immediately a bolt of lightning cut through the rising smoke coming from his gun. The intense heat from the bolt stinging his face.
   Sharon saw the shooter. She stood. Aimed down the barrel of the rifle. Pulled the trigger. A fine mist sprayed from the shooter's head. His body collapsed behind the window frame. And Sharon dropped flat to the dirt again.
   "Good fuckin' shot, love," said Jorge as he scooted down into the defilade of the ridge and rammed his next bullet home in his pistol.
   The four Winters men all finished reloading their weapons. Each looked at one another. All nodded and stood in unison. They unleashed a volley on the other broken window of the second floor. The marksman in the window stumbled and fell, and the magic rifle tumbled from the window and down into the courtyard.
   Then two blue bolts from the ground floor hit two of the Winters men directly in the chest. The unlucky two flew backwards, rolling down the slope of the ridge and leaving a trail of blood in their wake.
   The remaining two Winters men crouched down quickly. One looked to the other and said, "Guess that's two less shares."

Rains snickered without opening her mouth when Gabe insulted Deitrus. A throaty sound.
   Deitrus said nothing. Merely cocked his head as he stared down Rains. Through the slit in his helm, a flash of recognition in his narrowed eyes. Not of who she was, but of what she was doing here. As if he had always suspected this day would come.
   That recognition became a sickening excitement. He would be the one to put down the wild dog before him.
   And he charged forward toward Rains. The blue bolts that would kill the two Winters men cutting through the air overhead as he ran.
   He swung his sword in two quick horizontal slashes. Rains backstepped one and parried the other. 
   His arm already primed for a thrust after his second slash, Deitrus rapidly followed through with the momentum. Rains made no attempt to dodge or parry.
   And Deitrus' sword pierced straight through her stomach and out of her back. Blood dripped furiously to the grass of the courtyard.
   Rains dropped both of her hatchets. Grabbed hold of Deitrus' hand and the hilt of his sword. Grinned and bared her clenched teeth. Growled loudly as she pulled Deitrus' sword deeper inside her own body. Saliva bubbled around her mouth. Fell from her lips.
   Deitrus yanked at his sword. Tried to pull it back. But Rains' grip held. His weapon remained stuck inside of her gut. He was effectively disarmed, and he was no where near as skilled in hand-to-hand combat as he was with his sword.
   "Gabe!" she snarled. "Now!"

As Rains and Gabe fought Deitrus, his brother emerged from the open front door of the manor and stood on the small porch.
   Morgan, clad in a sleeveless dark robe and mask and goggles that hid his face, had his staff in one hand and a thick red crystal in the other. He stabbed himself through the heart with the red crystal, and the skin of his exposed arms ignited into flames.
   Imbued with raw and unstable elemental power, Morgan pumped his hands toward the sky three times. Three large meteors made of pure fire erupted from his hands.
   And started their arc through the air and toward the ridge with Sharon, Charles, Jorge, Sergio, and the rest of the men.

Gawfy

Gabe Saw his chance and took it.  He ran over towards Detritus A faint orange glow enveloping him now. Gabe had not a single clue what he was going to do until he did it. Deitrus Raised up his Shield as Gabe approached. He threw a single Jab Stepping into it and Unconsciously Bellowing As his it Made contact. The orange glow and Detritus's Shield unsealed a blinding flash as the magical forces met Eachother.
It is said people only use 30% of their bodies natural potential. Unbeknownst to Him Gabe had just used 100% of his Strength in that attack. Gabe's Left Hand Broke as it tore through Detritus's Shield and  Broke even further As he met Detritus's hand holding the shield, Shattering his hand and Lower and mid arm. Gabe took another Step forward as he focused all of his strength on Detritus's Face with a Backhand.  The helm Rending under the sheer Force Gabe made contact with the nose sending the shards Through his skull Killing the man. Following The flash and now a dead Detritus Everything went still.  Gabe Then stepped forward as he picked up a piece of the broken shield. He would need it in the battles to come.

Tags: