Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

If God Creates Man... [Open]

Started by AevumEternity, April 24, 2017, 06:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

Elenoir arches her back, tilting her head back to gaze at Allion. He was a very beautiful man, she thought, he had striking features that she wanted to reach out and caress, though that would likely land her quite the scolding and maybe even the horrifying disapproving glance of her brother. So she folded her hands upon her flat stomach as she lay their, chocolate ringlets glistening auburn in the setting sun as she responded gently," We are heading to the new Grand Mordecai's ball, so Daemion can be seen now that he's Duke and all," she answers carelessly- reaching up to stiffle a yawn with the back of a delicate hand.

Her eyes fluttered shut as she rested her hand upon her cherry lips, reaching her other toward the sky to grasp the wispy clouds as her rolled up sleeve slipped further back upon her slender arm," What about you, sir Allion?"

Daemion did not seem to realize nor care he had been outted, reaching into his pocket to retrieve a tiny screw driver. Without asking, nor seeming to care, he began to gently tweak the gears within Alliob's elbow- nothing painful but only mildly disturbing how easily he fell into the blind craftsman's focus.

TheHopeseeker

He watched her patiently, observing the warm aura she practically radiated. She was a beautiful young woman, her presence oddly familiar, though he knew for certain he had never once come across the pair before.

In honesty, he had not expected the revelation that the man before him was a Duke. Casting his gaze to Daemion once again, he observed the man, paying close attention now. Even still, though there were small signs, small signals, it was hard to believe the man digging a tiny screw driver out of his pocket and tinkering unabashedly with a stranger's prosthetic was a Duke of Connloath.

Then again, who was he to judge? He hardly represented his station. But no, it was his past station. There was no turning back time, nothing that would change what had occurred all those years ago.

Closing his eyes for a moment to regain his focus, he shook his head, wiping his fingers on the knee of his pants. "Like I said, I am simply passing through for repairs."

AevumEternity

" Oh? Oh yes- you did," She murmurs, tilting her head away for a moment before focusing back on him," I am sorry- my mind just flutters around all the time I can never focus really. Not like Daemion, he's no better then one of his little clockwork toys once he gets in the mood," she flashes a lovely little smile, sitting up to sink her teeth into the fruit and sweetbread, clearly having quite the sweet tooth based on how much her face lit up and she swayed contently.

" Then whats your profession? What so you do?" Her eyes light up as she swipes her tongue over her lips with a gasp," Are you an adventurer? Like Hakon?"

" I do not believe he would know the General," Daemion comments offhandedly, grinacing as her maneuvers Allion's arm into a bent position, pricking an artificial tendon carefully, working out a small bump in the wiring with the utmost concentration.

" He only pays attention long enough to prove me wrong," Elenoir sighs dramatically though looks upon her elder brother rather affectionately.

TheHopeseeker

Allion only smiled kindly at her momentary embarrassment, resting his hand on his knee once again and looking to Daemion at his sister's words. Indeed, the man was truly focused on his task, his mind clearly settled on the sole purpose of ironing out the kinks Allion himself had not even known existed in the prosthetic.

At Elenoir's question, he frowned slightly, shaking his head. "Nothing as grand as all that," he spread his free hand, shrugging a little with one shoulder, but careful to keep his left still, "I am but a humble bounty hunter."

Somehow, he questioned whether that would be believed. More than once, he had been questioned for that statement, many unwilling to accept that a man of his...posture and air was but a lowly bounty hunter. But theirs was a strange world. Many men adopted airs and graces that were not their own; tales were easy enough to tell, webs to weave. None knew the truth, not for over a century. That was the way it had to be.

Lying had become more than just a habit to him now. It was a way of life, a constant at his side, a skill he had honed to perfection. He could, and had, stare fate in the face and lie about his past, himself, who and what he was.

But now was not the time for such reflections. Shaking himself back to the present with a slight start, a small wince as a phantom pain shot through long quiet nerves. He didn't pull away though, just smothered the grimace and turned to Elenoir again, knowing now that Daemion would most likely either not hear him, or just ignore him, enraptured as he was.

"From which State do you hail? I have seen much of Connloath over the years; perhaps I have see your home?"

AevumEternity

Elenoir's eyes widen a fraction as she tilts her head to one side, cocoa ringlets spilling over her shoulder," A bounty hunter? Well from what I've heard-" she proceeds to sit back elegantly on her haunches, extending her legs and beginning to examine the soft, silken fabric of the foreign dress," I would say you're one of the better bounty hunters. Most are mean and barbaric, yes? No one would ever suspect you to be one," she sings lightly, looking up to flash the man a dazzling smile and playful wink.

Daemion paused in his work, seeming to be vaguely satisfied but commenting offhandedly," You will need to come to me in order for me to finish this. Rust has begun to set inside your joints, a month or more of this may result in your arm breaking off," she grunts, utterly no feeling nor emotion in his voice as he adjusts his spectacles, pocketing the screwdriver to begin to eat rather slowly. Consumption was a bother. It only took away from what work he could be doing...

Elenoir tilts her head curiously toward her brother, arching an eyebrow before focusing on allion - another dazzling smile," Vythe, we're from Vythe," she chirps lightly

TheHopeseeker

At that, he couldn't help but chuckle, raising a hand to cover his lips as mirth burned in aged emerald hues, if only for a moment, before seeming to sputter and die. "No, I'm not your traditional bounty hunter," he agreed, shifting a little and gently plucking a slice of fruit out of the assortment of foods, straying clear of the sweetbread for the moment, "But it is also true that not all can be thrown under the same stereotype as that you've just spoken. Many different people are hunters, for many different reasons. Desperation for work, a lust for travel, or knowledge. And greed, or malice it's true. You will find many people of various histories amongst my...kin."

His eyes turned back to Daemion then, slight surprise in his gaze as he flexed the limb, dipping his head in polite gratitude, "I thank you for the work," he said, pulling the sleeve back down over the smooth, polished metal, "It was most generous."

Though, he had a feeling it had been as much for Daemion as for himself. "Where might I find you, then?"

AevumEternity

Elenoir smiles faintly and tilts her head," Your kin? What do you mean?" she chides lightly as Daemion turns away without a word, retrieving a scrap of paper and an odd cylindrical quill from his pocket full of ink (a medieval pen), scratching out a name before placing the scrap at Allion's side. 'The Rabbit's Ear' was scratched out ornately upon the white paper. Perhaps the name of an inn. It seemed Daemion had done his talking for the day, already packing away his devices.

TheHopeseeker

Allion pulled a slight face, blowing a strand of hair out of his face once more, the ivory locks really were a pain freshly cleaned. "Well, though we might all be different in our goals and motives, underneath it all most hunters are alike, in some way or another." In our loneliness, he thought privately, brushing the thought aside quickly as he glanced down at the paper Daemion had given him.

Nodding slightly at the familiar name of the popular inn, he tucked the scrap into his pocket, glancing to the west where half-sun was disappearing beneath the horizon, darkness peaking over the lands as the wind whistled merrily through the trees of the garden, rustling the grass at the feet. You could smell the rain in the air now, the heavy blanket of humid foreboding the downpour that was to come. A single spot fell from the heavens, landing on the bare metal of his left hand, before slipping down into the grass below.

AevumEternity

Elenoir blinks rapidly as a single fat droplet rolls down her cheek almost akin to a tear, alas- sitting up- she quickly packs the food left and unrolls one long sleeve, draping her arm over her head as the thick droplets begin to fall more rapidly," Well-" she approaches Allion with a small smile and skip in her step, gazing up at him with those lovely green eyes that glittered with so much life and affection,"- We will see you soon, right Allion?" she sings hopefully, the sleeve leaving her face in shadow though her teeth flash white in a dazzling smile.

Daemion meanwhile adjusted his spectacles, all but unmoved by the rain as his creation scuttles into his sleeve- not that he seemed to give a damn whatsoever. Staring down the path, the Duke already seemed lost to his two companions..

TheHopeseeker

Allion climbed to his feet as Elenoir packed up the food, slipping his glove back over the prosthetic limb and tucking his hand into his coat. Unlike the leather ones he usually wore, the cloth gloves were hardly waterproof, and he highly doubted more water would do the aged metal any good.

Smiling slightly as the girl approached, he smothered the flutter of remembrance that rose at her dazzling smile, the warmth in soft green eyes. "Yes. I wouldn't like to miss your departure, after all." He replied, glancing towards Daemion in the vague hope of thanking the man, but it was clear he no longer paid attention to the other two individuals.

The rain began to patter down in earnest then, the light sprinkle turning to a drizzle in a matter of seconds. Allion covered a curse and turned towards the way he had come, mentally calculating the best route back to his tavern, even as he spoke, "You two had best get in, before you are completely soaked." He advised, flashing a quick smile as he prepared to make a run for it, before the downpour came in earnest.

AevumEternity

Elenoir flashed him another smile, popping even closer to him before standing on her toes to deliver a sweet kiss to his cheek. So very light was it that it seemed a mere breath of wind before she pulled away, wincing but smiling in the rain as it clung the fine fabric to her slender shoulders," I can't wait to see you again, sir Allion!" She chirps brightly before turning and rushing after her brother, Daemion already far down the path as he had decided to stroll away without his sister in tow. What an odd, oblivious man.

TheHopeseeker

He blinked at the unexpected gesture, a look of surprise flashing across his face. Watching the duo depart, he shook his head slightly, shaking off the quiet feeling of memory as he set off for his own shelter, the gardens soon falling behind as he sprinted with inhuman speed, the rain truly starting to set in as he flitted through the quickly deteriorating streets.

AevumEternity

Night Falls, As Does the Rain...

It had not stopped, only intensified in the downpour. Elenoir sat upon a peacock-backed chair in the shaded veranda of the inn, her hands folded in her lap, a small tabby kitten curled in her lap as she watched the streets just beyond being pounded by the rain. As she sat, she began to hum under her breath, attempting to recall a tune about an ancient General from long ago. Alas... She had trouble remembering the words-

She gave up, leaning back in the chair and closing her eye. Daemion was likely working upon the multi-shot pistol he hoped to create and would do so until the sun rose again. Vaguely she missed the bounty-hunter... She felt utterly alone but for this tiny cat, asleep between her thighs. Briefly, she closed her eyes- this time choosing a lullaby to sing to the tiny creature:

"Dark the stars and dark the moon,
Hush the night and the morning loon,
Tell the horses and beat on your drum,
Gone their master, gone their son,

Dark the oceans, dark the sky,
Hush the whales and the ocean tide,
Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum,
Gone their master, gone their son,

Dark to light and light to dark,
Three black carriages, three white carts,
What brings us together is what pulls us apart,
Gone our brother, gone our heart~
"

Her voice reached hauntingly into the street, weaving between the droplets fluidly and seeming to hush even the vicious storm's rumbling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheHopeseeker

The steady shink of steel against stone created a steady rhythm inside the beaten down tavern room, the bright silver blade humming from each stroke of the sharpening stone down it's length. Outside, the rain beat down in heavy sheets, turning the streets to mud and puddles.

Allion watched the rainfall with distant eyes, his mind wandering as his body moved through the patterns of sharpening the blade in hand, the intricate carvings in the blade, filled with tiny white ore, reflecting the candlelight.

Despite himself, he fiund his mind drifting to the young girl, Elenoir, and her brother. There was an aura around the girl, a familiarity. Another man might have thought of reincarnation,  but Allion was no fool. Despite how alike to Cillian young Elenoir might feel, despite the flutter in his heart every time he thought of the young woman's face, her hauntingly beautiful voice, there was no point dwelling upon it.

Cillian was gone, stolen away from him by the cold hands of Fate, and there was no other. The void in his heart was an eternal one, alike to the life he had been reduced to, punished by. It was his due justice for his actions, all those years ago. But that didn't make the emptiness any easier to bear.

The candle at his side blew out in a rush, the gust of wind blown through the window, cracked ajar to allow the scent of the rain inside, extinguishing it in one fell swoop. He sighed, stared at the smoking wick for a moment before sheathing the blade and tossing the sharpening stone onto the small desk in the corner.

Despite himself, he found the melody Elenoir had sung drifting into his mind, humming the tune softly as he moved to close the window. In the old days, when the words had been not a foreign language, but common tongue, at least to his people, the song had been beauriful tenfold, the words touching on his heart every time Cillian sung it, her voice soft and beautiful.

Sighing softly again, breaking off mid-verse, he sat on the edge of the window sill and stared into the dark night beyond.

"I still miss you, carissime, I fear I always shall. Such is my cursed existence."

AevumEternity

Eventually her voice drifted off into silence as she pursed her lips, carefully leaning back in her chair as she cradled the small kitten in her arms standing as she moved back toward the rooms- alas, through the glass doors, she saw something strange. Several figures, hunched oddly as they scurried about the room, picking up glass ware, searching cabinets. Thieves?! She bit her lip and took a small step back. Daemion was definitely safe- but why were they here? Did they know who she and her brother were?

Crouching in er palce, trying to stay out of sight, she slunk back into the shadows, trying to silence the mewling kitten as it was disturbed from its rest...

TheHopeseeker

An hour passed, possibly more, before he moved again. Rifling through his pack, he dug out his threadbare cloak and fastened it around his shoulder, pulling the hood up over pale hair. He cast a quick glance at his sword, debating, before deciding against it and heading for the door.

There was no telling when the two might leave, he wasn't even quite sure when the Grand Duke's ball was, so best to get the repairs to his arm finished sooner, rather than later. At least, that was what he told himself. He refused to acknowledge the quiet voice, the whispers, in the back of his mind that spoke of long lost love and the grief that had followed, the void in his being.

Stepping out onto the street, his boots squelched in the mud, the rain still beating down in torrents. Aside from himself, no other set foot outside, the streets empty and dark. Sighing softly, he set out towards The Rabbit's Ear, navigating his way with an ease born of practice, attempting to stay beneath the overhanging eaves of houses and taverns as he went.

AevumEternity

Elenoir tucked herself carefully behind the flaring chair, trying to hush the kitten as a large black shape suddenly overtook the windows leading to the veranda. The door squealed open as a large man exits, looking about before turning to his comrades," Any word on the girl?" he spoke loudly, without fear.... What happened to Daemion.

" None sir."

" Surround the building, I have a feeling her brother will be appearing-" the kitten scrambled from her hands in a panic and fled across the veranda, Elenoir quickly pressing a hand before her mouth. She could hear the cruel smile in the man's voice,"- very- very soon."

A shrill cry suddenly pierced the ambience of the rain.

TheHopeseeker

Allion stiffened, his senses jumping to full alert as a piercing cry shot through the pitter patter of rain, the sound peircing and harsh. Eyes narrowing, he cast a quick glance about before heading forwards, his eyes alighting on the flickering lantern hung over the door of the Rabbit's Ear.

Suspicion aroused, more so, he carefully approached the door, noting the fact it was swinging freely in the breeze, and slipped through into the room behind. Darkness engulfed the main lobby, only silent, vague shapes and the quiet creaking of a lantern breaking through the pitch black. Frowning, he dropped to a crouch, pressing himself against the side of he main counter as a dark orb materialised in his hands, eyes glowing softly with an ambient light as he moved  through the room without sound nor sight of intruders, making no noise himself.

AevumEternity

The lobby of the Rabbit's Ear was utterly black but for a single candelabra that sat upon the winding staircase, beside it- an incredibly tall man smoked lazily. He was white-blonde, clad in a long jacket of deep leather and hide. His hands seemed incredibly elongated and pale in the warm glow. The ash of the cigar bloomed briefly with life, illuminating a handsome but scarred face, perhaps reminiscent of a famous other. Nonetheless, deep red eyes focus upon Allion,"... You know, it's always wiser to run away from screams in times of war, hm?" A voice akin to gravel being poured down a dry slope rose from the man as he sat their idly.

Above, feet stomped, a terrible metallic smell wafted through the air- there was a struggle. This man didn't care.

TheHopeseeker

Allion's eyes hardened, soft whisps of light almost seeming to radiate from vaguely glowing eyes. Knowing, now, that his presence was known, he stood, making no effort to hide the magic bubbling in his hands, smoky magic that frothed and churned inside his curled palm.

Glancing upwards, the hunter tensed at the smell wafting to him, a soft snarl threatening to break free. Shoving that side of himself down deep into the recesses of his mind, he focused on the man before him, expression portraying nothing.

"Wisdom is an elusive prey, one few can grasp." He returned, his voice low and calm, expression similar.

(I'm so sorry. The internet is being trash once again *flails*)

Tags: