Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Row Boat Wars

Started by visualspice, May 05, 2017, 05:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Cullen shrugged at the idea of freezing.
"I highly doubt I'll freeze. Hypothermia seems like an irresponsible way to die and I, my lady, am a very responsible man. No, I think you might observe the jacket is made of overly thick and heat creating wool- of the finest stock, I assure you. The type to really make you itch and sweat."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Bunbun

"...Itch and sweat."

She gave him a puzzled look. Was that supposed to be a good thing? Or a bad thing? Or maybe he was just saying it to tease her? Whatever the reason, the way he worded it sounded strange and off-putting to her. To be fair, though, the jacket was pretty warm, so she was grateful for it nonetheless.

Finally deciding to afford the strange man some of her trust, she carefully paddled closer so that her boat gently came to rest against his. She couldn't yet bring herself to trust him fully, but she was confident enough in her ability to fight him off if things went south.

"Well? How might a mermaid be of assistance to this unfortunate fisherman?"

visualspice

Cullen eyed her with casual interest when she approached and at her question, a smile itched upon his lips.
"How can a mermaid help, indeed," he repeated with some thought as he leaned back to study the waters over his shoulder.
"I wouldn't mind hearing a song-" he began, with a playful twinkle in his eyes. "Perhaps one to tempt the fish closer to my side of the lake?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Bunbun

"An alluring song, hmm? And you're certain that 'siren' wouldn't be the proper description if I was indeed capable of something like that?"

She raised an eyebrow slightly at the suggestion, but ultimately decided that it was a harmless enough request. "I could try, I suppose, but I can't promise it will be any good." Truth be told, it had been quite a while since Maddison had sung much of anything. She had often found herself much too preoccupied to partake in music, or other similar activities. It took her a moment to settle on what song she wanted to perform, but she eventually settled on a lullaby she was familiar with from her childhood. There was little hope of her remembering all the words properly, so she opted to simply hum the tune instead.

Throughout the song, she would occasionally stray from the proper tune- whether this was because of her lack of practice, her vague memories of the song in question, or something else entirely was unknown. Regardless, she resolved to finish the song before speaking up about it.

"...You'll have to excuse any mistakes you might have heard. I'm afraid I'm not much of a musician."

visualspice

He was all smiles the entire time she hummed. Well, at least the might was proving interesting, Crampas be damned.

"What lovely lyrics to your song," he jested, eyes bright with his smile. "But if I were to guess correctly,  you somehow made a hodgepodge of twinkle twinkle little star and row, row your boat. "

And he leaned forward,  resting his chin upon his knuckles as he waited to see if she got his playful joke.

Bunbun

"Ha-ha. Very funny, Mr. West. Perhaps I should have left the job of attracting the fish to you and your jokes- I'm certain they're lining up as we speak to hear some more."

In all fairness, she did actually think the joke was pretty clever, and a smile creeping its way onto her own face betrayed this fact. In any case, she definitely preferred whatever joking remark he could have come up with over a serious critique of her musical talent. Deciding to try and keep the mood light, she gestured over at the fishing rod.

"Well, how about it? Any biters yet?"

visualspice

He stared at her fishing rod with disinterest before lifting it up and revealing...
"Hrmm.. I might have better luck catching fish if I had some bait." For the hook was empty. He smirked and rest the rod against the side of the boat.

"I don't suppose you have any spare worms?"

Bunbun

An empty hook. Well, that was probably as close to a complete confirmation as she could hope for- there was little chance this man was out on the water with the intention of catching fish. The man's jacket may have helped to keep her warm, but in that moment, her blood ran a bit colder. Subconsciously, she once again averted her gaze to make another quick scan of the surrounding water.

"Mmm. Well... I'm afraid you're out of luck on that one. Like I said, I didn't come out here to do any fishing. Although, I must admit it's made me curious- what kind of fisherman decides to wait all this time without any bait? Surely you should know better."

visualspice

Cullen smiled and didn't miss a beat.
"Well, I had bait. But seems I've run out."
He wasn't sure if she'd buy it. He made a note she was a clever one and he would need to be more careful. He appreciated the brains, but it lead him to wonder back to just why she was here.

He wouldn't have time to answer her as another boat was beginning to approach,  and whoever was on board Cullen could not see, for they were masked in deep shadows of the dying light of day.

Bunbun

Maddison frowned a bit at his flimsy excuse, but figured that it wasn't something she needed to dig too deep into at the moment- after all, something more immediately relevant to her had just caught her eye.

A boat in the distance. Finally. It had to be the old man, right? Her posture relaxed quite a bit at the sight, and she turned to address the "fisherman".

"...I think that's the person I came out to meet. I'm afraid I'll soon have to leave you to your poor, fishless fate."

She forced a small, apologetic smile. In all honesty, even she couldn't tell how genuine it was.

visualspice

Internally he winced. It was foolish of him to admitted such a thing, considering what his ruse was hiding.  But as his eyes followed out to the boat, he sank back into the shadows and tried to see who was coming. Was it trouble? Was it Krampas? He couldn't be certain and a pickling sensation tickled up his spine.

What if she was here to intercept them? To flush the old man out? What if she was a city guard? And this, her disguise. He felt his smile, still worn,  grow tight,  as did the knot in his belly. He would need to be careful... incase his true identity was found out and if the old man came into danger.

He idly touched at the hilt of a knife in his boot. He hoped he wouldn't need it...

Bunbun

Maddison, on the other hand, had little concern over who was actually occupying the approaching boat. Perhaps it was it was some side effect of her wanting to believe in the competence of her supporters to make the plan work without any issues, or maybe it was the fact that most of her suspicions were already directed at the mysterious fisherman, or both- whatever the case, she expected Krampas to be on the boat.

Eager to finally get her meeting underway, she briefly considered rowing out towards the other boat to close the distance, but instead paused as she came to a sudden realization.

"Oh, right..."

The jacket. It was the fisherman's, wasn't it? As much as she had her suspicions about the man's true intentions, it wouldn't do for her to take off with it if he truly was an ordinary citizen. Pulling the jacket from her shoulders, she flinched a bit as the cold bit into her once again, but tried as best she could to maintain a pleasant expression as she reached over and offered it back to him.

"You should probably have this back. I wouldn't want to leave you without it if you're planning on staying out here."

visualspice

Cullen could have kicked himself, but was all polished smiles, handsome and carefree. He had too many years of training for it- and perhaps remaining well groomed and confident was just something he'd never be able to shake. Good breeding was good breeding.

He accepted the coat with a nod.
"I suppose this is where we unfortunately part ways..."

As he pulled his jacket closer, his eyes drifted towards the approaching boat.

The figure loomed closer, a soft mist drifting up from the waters, causing the murky reflection of the evening sky to become shrouded. The boat moved forward, and with a purpose, and by the time Cullen had his jacket settling over his form- he was able to more clearly see whom approached...

And it wasn't Crampas. Not by a long shot. In fact, it just so happened to be one of the city guards he knew...
And one whom wouldn't hesitate to drop his dead body into the cold lake without remorse.

Tonell was a grim looking man, face hardened and stubble and scruff hair tamed as best as it could be and was peppered with silver. His brows hung low, and his lips as well, making him appear brooding and almost scowling as his dark eyes shined by the faint light of the moon.

The noises of their boats was the only thing that stirred on the water, outside of the occasional insects that dipped across the surface of the water, and the croaking of bullfrogs hidden in deep reeds of the lake shore.

Tonell was the last person he'd hoped to find out here, and he was careful to lower the hat over his face, hoping the shroud of the nightly mist would be enough to keep Tonell from figuring out his identity. He even went so far as to be sure his pony tale was tucked into his jacket and now he was grateful the young woman had returned it.

As the boat approached Maddison's, he made no motion in moving forward, rather letting her go to greet the boat without his aid. But his eyes never once left the approaching one, and his hands smoothed over a hidden knife in his boot, thankful he opted to bring his much larger knife rather than the slimmer one he typically kept (which made travel easier..) but being on a boat.. and being he had limited means to 'hide' weapons incase things went wrong...

Perhaps sometimes his intuition was on point. Let's just hope that Tonell's wasn't that night.

"Halt your boat," came Tonell's cool and commanding tone. Tonell was standing now, making the boat appear dwarfed beneath him. A large sack sat oppose of him, in the back of the boat with oars resting beside it and over the lip of the boat. Another, smaller man sat in the shadows behind him, one of whom Cullen couldn't see at the compromising angle that he was, and remained idle, watching what the woman might do-
and to see what Tonell might be up to.

"Identify yourself." His eyes were fixated upon Maddison, but Cullen's second boat was not lost to him. "And you there," his voice grew louder, directing it at Cullen. "Halt your boat and identify yourself as well. This is the City Guards commands. As ordered by the Grand Duke himself, identify yourselves at once and state your purposes here."

Well.. so much for trying to remain as an ignorant fly on the wall. Cullen stiffened, but said nothing- allowing the woman to speak, first.

Bunbun

The reveal of the approaching figure as a city guard was, understandably, quite the shock to Maddison. Her brief moment of relief was abruptly cut short, and instantly her mind filled up with racing questions and concerns. How had this guard learned about her presence out on the lake? Had he somehow gotten the information from Krampas- and if he had, was the old man okay?

And finally... by the orders of the Grand Duke? Was that actually true, or was it just an attempt at intimidating her into compliance? In any case, she certainly wasn't pleased with the situation she now found herself in.

Nervously, her hands began to clench themselves into fists as she silently considered her options. There was almost certainly no chance of her being let off if she revealed her true identity, so that was clearly off the table. If it really came down to it, she could try to fight him off- it wouldn't be the first time she'd taken a life, but it would be the first time doing so off of the battlefield. Something about that felt distinctly wrong to her, and so she preferred to avoid that situation if at all possible.

That left her with one last option. The guard didn't seem to recognize her, so giving him fake name shouldn't cause any issues for now...

Well, she hoped.

"Lily. Lily Mason," she added, hoping the answer would sound confident enough to be convincing. "As for why I'm out here, well..."

Something had occurred to her while she was scrambling to figure out her plan of action. Judging by the fact that the guard had also asked for the fisherman's name, it was possible that he wasn't in a much better position than she was in. Perhaps it was fortunate that the two had run into each other after all.

"It's a little embarrassing to say, but we were actually on a date together. I've never actually learned to fish, so he offered to meet up and teach me. It was supposed to be a private meeting, but... well, I suppose these things happen sometimes. Isn't that right, love?"

She turned to Cullen with a smile, but a certain coldness in her eyes conveyed a silent message.

Work with me on this, or we're both going to be in trouble.

visualspice

Well, the tug on his lips was hard to hide. Interesting. She was playing the liar's game. So he has been correct in being cautious about her- except now they were on the same boat.

As the lamp light was directed his way, Cullen bowed low and feigned sheepishness.
"Th.. Thomas.  Thomas Savage."

The man at the rear of the boat held up the lantern higher, making a twisted expression that was hard to read. Tonell's expression, however, could be felt, even if Cullen could not see it as he kept his gaze downcast.

There was an awkwardly weighted silence between them, barely masked by the nocturnal chirping of insects and the croaking of frogs.
"Rendez vous on the lake are forbidden after sunset. A law of which must be upheld. You two, I'm sorry to say, are by no means exempt of the law and a night in the cells ought to remind you of it. Now.." Tonnel have a snap of his fingers. "Produce your identification papers."

Cullen stiffened. He could feel the cold, predatory malice in Tonell's gaze. His own fingers itched on the grip of his concealed blade.

"That is.." the man went on, nonchalantly raising a pistol to Cullen's face. "Unless You want to come up with another name."

Bunbun

Maddison wasn't sure what she expected to come about as a result of her bluff, but it certainly wasn't this. She froze as she watched the guard take aim at her "partner", only breaking her stillness a moment later as she shivered once again.

So much for a peaceful solution.

Of course, there was no way she could produce identification under a name she'd made up on the spot, and allowing herself to be arrested was out of the question. The guard didn't necessarily have to know that, though, and so she slowly began digging around, pretending to search for the requested documents as she planned out her next move.

If one thing was for certain, it was that the gun needed to be dealt with somehow. Maddison made small subtle glances at it as she shifted around in her seat, her eyes wandering between the weapon and the gap separating her boat from the guard's. She took one last deep breath to compose herself, and before she had a chance to start second guessing herself, she sprang into action. She lunged at Tonell, leaning precariously over the gap between boats as she attempted to wrestle the gun from his grasp.

visualspice

Their boats rocked furiously at their scuffle, Tonell crying out in alarm, and scrambling now to keep a hold of the gun as he used his other arm to try and push her away.But she had too much momentum when she sprang at him and Tonell lost his footing and tumbled forward as he crashed onto the from of the boat and it dipped down with a splash. Unfortunately for Maddison, Tonell took her down with a tangle of limbs.
The second he heard the gun shot he moved to shove Maddison away, shouting, "What do you think you're doing?!"

He wanted no time snatching onto her wrist with a merciless grasp, and attempted to pull her into his boat.
"You could hang for this!"

And that's when 'Thomas's' form appeared, the man letting out a cry as he lunged from his boat to the other. He managed to knock into Tonell's legs as the rest of his body hit the side of the boat and water with a splash.  Tonell cried out in alarm as he fell, but his grip on the girl forced her down with him.
Cullen saw the pair struggle and pulled himself onto the edge of the boat, off balancing Tonell as he did so and Cullen saw his opportunity to free her of his grip as he struck out at his face with a punch.
It earned Maddison her freedom but Cullen got a boot to the face. He fell back into the water with a splash, resurfacing a moment later without a hat and the second man on the boat turning the lamplight onto him.
If there ever was a doubt of his identity it was cast away now.  His long, signature blond hair slicked back into a tail and his face, shown as a pretty accurate sketch on many wanted signs throughout the city, was no longer hidden by the mask of night.
"Cullen!" Tonell growled.  "You will hang!"

Bunbun

Maddison's hastily-formed plan may have succeeded in neutralizing the immediate threat posed by Tonell's weapon, but there was little time to relax as she found her momentum being used against her. She was lucky enough to avoid dropping into the water, but there was little she could do to brace herself as Tonell tightened his grip and pulled her into the other boat. She hit the floor of the boat hard, letting out a cry of her own as she collapsed and struggled to escape from his grasp. Her vision blurred momentarily from the impact, only clearing back up when she felt the boat rocking again and Tonell releasing his grip.

Seizing the opportunity that Cullen had provided for her, Maddison scrambled backwards as far as she could go without sending herself overboard into the cold water. Upon hearing Cullen's name, she spared a glance towards the man to observe his full appearance before returning her focus to Tonell. She could worry more about who exactly she had gotten involved with later- for now it was enough to have full confirmation that they were on the same side.

Climbing carefully to her feet, Maddison took advantage of the temporary distraction provided by tthe reveal of Cullen's identity. She moved to tackle Tonell to the floor of the boat, aiming to keep him occupied long enough for her newfound ally to get into a better position.

visualspice

Except the man with the lamp finally sprung into action, grabbing onto the woman roughly by her arm and attempted to yank her off of Tonell.

By now the boat was rocking again and Tonell struggled under the weight of the woman. It wasn't until his partner stepped in that he was able to break away, and in doing so he cried out in anger and shoved the woman bodily aside towards his partner as the boat rocked again.

Even though they were all still floundering, Tonell took the moment to look around for Cullen as he stood up, but before he knew what was going on, one of the empty boats crashed into the side of theirs, causing the boat to tip and spill Tonell into the empty one and the boat he left now had taken on a good amount of water. Yet the thing still was afloat.

The other man sloshed about. Hoping to get better purchase of the woman now that it was just him and her.

Bunbun

Once again, Maddison felt her body hit the bottom of the boat as she was tossed aside by the combined efforts of the two men. She worked as quickly as she could to get back on her feet and reclaim her previous advantageous position, only to be knocked off her balance as the boats collided, ultimately leaving her alone with the other man. She sized her new opponent up, preparing herself to go at it once again- only to be stopped in her tracks as the initial shock from the impact wore off and the reality of her new situation fully sank in.

The water. It was troubling enough to be surrounded by it during her initial boat trip, but to suddenly find herself soaking in it was something else entirely. For the first time that night, she was entirely gripped by her fear of it, and it prevented her from returning to a fighting stance despite her best efforts. At least for the moment, all she could bring herself to do was slowly back away from the man, coming dangerously close to falling off the back of the boat in the process.