Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Miracle Drug (Blink)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, May 27, 2017, 11:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"So after I water the plants, I need to pot the thyme and put it out front for the customers to see." Randal Barlow thought hurriedly as he unlocked the door to the apothecary shop. Taza was out of town for the week, and she had put him in charge of the business! Randal was determined to do his best- he owed Taza everything, it was the least he could do to help her. "I also need to make sure that the opium in the basement is packaged discreetly, we have a client coming to pick some up today."

Upon entering the shop, Randal's nose was assaulted by an overwhelming smell of flowers. Pots of colorful plants were on every surface that could hold them, and the walls were lined with jars of dried herbs and spices. Sunlight flooded into the room from the windows in the ceiling, giving the impression that one had just entered into a garden rather than a store. Randal loved it here- it was the first place he had ever truly thought of as being "home".

As he approached the main counter, Randal noticed a sheet of parchment that hadn't been there the day before. Upon picking it up, his heart nearly stopped- Taza had left him an entire checklist of chores he needed to do while she was gone. "B-but... she told me what I needed to do before she left! She never said anything about these jobs!" he complained to the empty room. Reading through the list until he reached the bottom, he saw Taza had written something that made Randal's hair stand on end.

"Continued on other side"

Groaning, Randal stormed off to the backroom to find the water pitcher. "Do this, do that, don't forget these fifty other things too!" he muttered angrily to himself as he found what he was looking for and began to water the hibiscus. "And I'm supposed to take care of customers on top of all this?" As if on cue, Randal heard the wind chimes that had been tied to the doorknob jingle- the shop had a visitor.

"Oh, come on- I'll be right with you!" he called out. Putting the pitcher of water down, he would rush to the front of the shop to greet the guest. "This is going to be a long seven days."

Blink

Just as any other day Addie had started it with checking on the latest hides she had been working on. Before eating or all else this was what took priority. Many people were waiting on their orders for basic survival, survival that depended on Addie's hands. Her father had been gone for almost two months now, on yet another large whaling trip, which left everything up to Addie to finish.

She had just finished changing the salt water on hides that still had a day or two left to soak when she was making her way towards the room where the really foul smelling stuff was. This was where the final processes of her trade were made, and trust me when I say that hide tanning and leather making was not for the weak stomached.

Her mind was already going in a million different directions as she thought of the hours of work she still had to do before she could even think of making a trip to gather more supplies. While she walked her lips moved as Addie read everything from the parchment that she would need, having to stop and take a deep breath as the list was just that long.

Reaching out she grasped the door handle and thought of how simple things used to be. Oh, what she would give to be a child again with no responsibilities...

Stepping through Addie shut the door behind her, her eyes still glued on the paper in hand.

"I'll be right with you!"

She didn't even need to look up to know what had just happened. Instead, her fingers gripped at the edges of the paper as her head sunk lower. Actually quite angry she stood there for a few moments in utter disbelief that she had been so careless. And then it happened.... Addie exploded.

"Son of a bitch!" she yelled, crumbling the paper in her hand and throwing it to the floor. "This can't be happening right now! I have so much I have to do!" Obviously, Addie regretted throwing the paper and so she ran and picked it back up, smoothing it out on her leg before carefully refolding it to place in her pocket. After that her clear discontent for the situation was evident.

"Why me!? Why!?" By now Addie's hands were on her head as she paced back and forth. "Where the hell am I this time!?" Her eyes then shot around to see the numerous amount of flowers in the shop. "Flowers... that is just fucking fantastic! Flowers don't grow anywhere near Hyoite!"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal's eyes widened when a very angry woman stepped through the door of his shop. She didn't really seem to pay him any mind, instead throwing a sheet of parchment on the ground and picking it back up. "That's silly." Randal thought to himself. "She must be here for some of Taza's teabags or something."

The woman abruptly- and very rudely- asked where she was, and as if on command Randal replied. "Oh, ah, right! Welcome to Blue Orchid, home to all the colors in the rainbow!" Inwardly Randal was kicking himself. "Ah! I've been practicing that line for weeks! How did it slip my mind?" His ears turned bright red. "I'm so stupid sometimes!"

Blink

When the boy spoke up it caused Adelaide to jump. She had been so focused on trying to figure out where she was that she had completely forgotten the voice that greeted her, to begin with. Almost immediately her entire demeanor changed.

"Oh, my I am so sorry!" Addie then placed her hands on her knees as she bowed to the boy several times. "Please forgive my outburst." Her voice was soft, inaudible to anyone who was hard of hearing.

"I was simply taken back by all the beautiful flowers you have here." Finally standing straight again Addie smiled. "So you said this is Blue Orchid?" Confused she looked around "I've never heard of such a city..."

Realizing she most likely looked like a complete lunatic Addie then reached for the nearest flower pot and picked it up. "Here is what I was looking for!" In truth, she had absolutely no idea what she was holding in her hands. "Nothing quite as great as..." Addie paused to try and find some form of label on the plant, only to come up empty-handed. "... I mean just look at those adorable little white flowers! And look at the leaves... so shiny!"

Patting her hand on the bottom of the pot she brought the plant closer to her face. "Definitely love putting this one in my favorite soup."

Little did Addie know she was holding a pot of Hemlock.....

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"That's poisonous! Like, really really poisonous! She's as high as a kite!" Randal thought worriedly. "I... I wouldn't make a purchase just yet. There are things to discuss first!"

Taza had taught Randal what to do if a customer came under the influence of drugs. Rushing to the back of the shop, he poured some water into a small, empty flower pot, then grabbed a stool from the counter. Hurrying back to the poor woman, he handed her the water and motioned for her sit.

"Ok, ok, can you tell me the last thing you bought from this shop? It's important."

Blink

Still holding the pot Addie tilted her head when the boy's expression seemed almost worried. Slowly she set the pot down when he rushed away.

With his return with a stool and pot in hand, Addie tilted her head even more. "Note to self: Try not to ever come here again. These people are weird."

Almost afraid for her life now Addie sat on the stool and then grabbed the pot of water offered. His question was strange, one that clearly she didn't have an answer for.

"Well, I've never been here before actually." Her eyes then darted towards one of the windows. "I've never been in this town either... Where did you say I was again?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal stared at the woman, his face blank. "What is going on? Taza never told me I'd have to give some newcomer a tour!" Glancing down at list he'd been left, he made sure that this woman wasn't one of the chores he had to complete. She wasn't, which left Randal with one option.

"...I actually need to explain everything to her? But I have so much to do!"

"Well, um, you're in Zantaric..." Randal began, hoping this mystery woman wouldn't freak out when she found out she was in the murder capitol of Le'Raana. "And um, are you okay? Can I get you anything? Cannabis, maybe?" He smiled at the woman. "I can get it for you- at a good price too!"

"May as well try and get a sale out of this."

Blink

As soon as he mentioned Zantaric Addie jumped up from the stool. "Zantaric! Thank gods! I thought for sure I ended up somewhere else."

In truth when Adelaide's ability first started manifesting she made sure to sit down and study as many maps as she could get her hands on. She recalled seeing one with Zantaric in it, which meant that she could at least have an idea of where she was at.

"Cannabis... no, thank you. I try to stay away from that stuff." The last thing Addie needed was something to cloud her judgment right now. Her eyes then narrowed on the boy. "How old are you anyways? Aren't you a bit young to be running a shop like this?" Standing on her toes she tried to look over him to see if anyone else was in the background.

"Where is your mom or dad? A Guardian perhaps?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal scratched the back of his head. "Um, well, I'm glad you like it here! I like it here too!" He shifted on his feet uncomfortably. This woman was asking too many questions, and it was beginning to annoy him.

"Why is she so out of it though? She's gotta be on something, right?"

"I'm eleven. My, um, older friend Taza is in La'Marri on business." Randal said, holding his hands behind his back. "She says I'm old enough to handle the shop on my own, but I think she said that Hildegarde would be stopping by check on me. Or Griselda, maybe. I know it won't be Crys, because she's creepy and I'm supposed to stay far away from her." He shifted on his feet again, uncomfortable with all of the woman's questions.

"Oh, ah, my name is Randal by the way. You?"

Blink

"So the real owner is in La'Marri. I remember seeing that on a map somewhere too."

Lost in thought Addie had almost completely forgotten the boy had introduced himself. "Randal is such a strange name. Anyways my name is Adelaide, but everyone just calls me Addie."

It was then that the boy said a name Adelaide had heard before. "Hildegarde? Hildegarde Von Musel perhaps?" She knew it was a stretch but she still had to ask. It wasn't a super popular name, but maybe by some stroke of luck, it could be her.

It had been five years since Addie had seen her, the childhood friend that she missed dearly after her departure. In fact, Hildegarde was one of Addie's only friends there for a while. It seemed no one else really wanted anything to do with them and she never knew why.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal crossed his arms. "Hey! Making fun of other people's names is mean! Mean people aren't allowed in Blue Orchid, can't you read the sign?" He walked over to the front window and flipped over the small wooden sign that had been hanging up.

Always be nice to others

Putting the sign back into place, Randal glared at the woman. "And yes, Lady Hildegarde Von Musel is Taza's boss. You'd better watch out, because if she catches you being rude-" Randal brought his hands to his throat and pantomimed choking. He then fell over dramatically and played dead for a few seconds before looking back up at Addie. "-That's gonna be you."

Blink

"Mean? What?" Addie was so confused. She never thought that saying someone's name was strange would be classified as mean. Then to add insult to injury Randal went and flipped over a sign on the door.

After that Addie's confusion twisted into complete and utter joy. It was the same, Hildegarde! Maybe today wouldn't be as horrible as she initially thought. Addie began jumping up and down in excitement before noticing the boy laying on the ground.

"Hildegarde would never kill me! She's my best friend!" Addie clapped her hands together and began jumping up and down again. After a few short minutes of composing herself, Adelaide then determined that if this boy was in any way connected to Hildegarde that she could trust him... she hoped.

"Listen about the sign..." Addie then pointed at the 'Always be nice to others' notice on the door. "I didn't see it when I came in because I didn't come in through that door.... I mean I did... but I didn't."

Placing her hands on her knees she crouched down to be at eye-level with the boy. "I really need you to take me to Hildegarde. I am stuck here till at least midday and it would be really nice to have someone who may understand my little problem around." Reaching out Addie then patted the boy on the head. "You know you remind me of Hildegarde's little brother Derick... adorable." Addie then stood back up placing a finger on her lip as she fell into deep thought.

"Or maybe it was a little sister named Etsy..."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal slowly stood back up as the girl began to gleefully jump up and down. "But... Taza is Hildegarde's best friend! Not this crazy lady!" Randal crossed his arms once more. "I'm not sure we sell what this girl is on, but we should."

The boy's ears flushed bright red when Addie pat his head. "D-don't patronize me! I'll have you know that Taza says I'm very mature for my age!" He pouted. "And Lady Hildegarde doesn't even have a brother, I don't think." Taking a step back, Randal tried to speak with authority in his voice. "You can't just meet with Lady Hildegarde. You need an appointment, sorry."

Suddenly, Randal had a brilliant idea. He stroked his chin thoughtfully. "However..." he began, a smile working it's way across his face. " If you were to, perhaps, prove your worth..." He handed his list of chores to Addie. "Perhaps I could find a way to fit you onto her busy schedule."

Blink

With a step back Addie watched as the boy first flipped out as he threw a temper tantrum. It was times like this she was happy to be an only child... younger siblings would be so annoying.

When he handed her the list Addie skimmed it before promptly handing it back. She then dug into her own pocket to reveal her list. "I don't think so boyo." Addie then flipped the paper to show Randal her list could easily match his. "I have enough stuff of my own to do, which I can't do any of because I am stuck here with you." She almost sounded hateful, but quickly flipped back to the lighthearted happy girl.

"So I guess I will just wait for her then." Addie then promptly walked over by the door and sat down in front of it, crossing her legs Indian style. "You, on the other hand, look like you have a lot of work ahead of you.... best be getting to it." Another smile flashed across her face as she turned back towards the door. "She has 5 and a half hours left..."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal's smug expression was wiped clean off his face upon seeing Addie's own list. "What? Come on!" he whined. When the girl proceeded to sit down on the floor, his expression grew annoyed. "Why in front of the door! I just brought her a stool!"

Storming off in a huff, Randal grabbed the water pitcher and resumed watering the plants. "What a jerk!" he muttered under his breath. "I don't randomly walk into people's shops and loiter! Who the heck does she think she is!"

Suddenly, the door opened- or it would have, if Addie hadn't been sitting in front of it. A teenager wearing eye shadow peered through the window into the shop. "Um, Randal?" the teenager called out. "Lady Hildegarde sent me to make sure you were doing okay, make sure you didn't need help. Why won't the door open?"

Blink

Contemplating ways to avoid this situation in the future Addie barely noticed the door tapping her foot. It wasn't until she heard a voice that she looked up to see a young boy wearing eyeliner. "Well that's odd"

"Hildegarde!"

Addie scrambled to get back on her feet the moment her friend's name left his lips. Pulling open the door the rest of the way Addie stood in front of him, most likely looking like a lunatic.

"Please tell Hildegarde that Adelaide is here and needs to speak with her right away!" She was hoping that if Hildegarde heard her name that she would remember it, I mean it wasn't all that common.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Ignatius stared at the woman in the doorway in confusion. Carolina the goldfinch poked her head out of the boy's pocket and chirped excitedly. Quickly shaking off the initial shock, he leaned against the doorframe and placed his hand in front of his face dramatically. "Adelaide, huh?" he said coolly. "Heh... Can't say I've ever heard of you."

"This bitch probably doesn't even know Hildegarde." Carolina said telepathically. "Which means you should totally go get her, it'd be funny."

"Wasting Lady Hildegarde's time like that would get us in trouble though!"

"Hey, have I ever steered you wrong"

"...Yes. Multiple times."

"Just do it, dude! C'mon, we could even lie to her and say that it's somebody important instead of this random broad."

Before Ignatius could telepathically object any further, Randal called out to him. "Iggy, please just go get her. She won't leave me alone."

The cool grin that had been on Ignatius's face fell off. "Don't call me Iggy!" he said angrily. "It isn't cool!" Eye twitching, he pointed at the younger boy dramatically. "I'll go get her, sure... Then I'm not helping you with your chores." Ignatius stormed away angrily, slamming the door behind him.

"Stupid kid! Now that girl wont think I'm a badass."

"Oh, pfft. That girl wouldn't know badass if it hit her in the face. Now, lets go get Hildegarde so we can watch her get upset!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Randal shook his head. "That kid? He's older than me." He looked at Addie with a look of distain. "Well, you got what you wanted! Hildegarde is going to show up and get mad at me for pulling her away from her important bad guy stuff! I hope you're happy!"

Blink

Well, eyeliner boy certainly was a spectacle. The way he looked at that Finch was almost as if he were talking to it. Addie didn't pay much attention to the fact that he said he had never heard of her. In fact, she really wasn't surprised by that at all. It had been years since she had seen Hildegarde and she would probably find it weird if she had brought her up to strangers.

Her eyebrow quirked when Randal and 'Iggy' began their exchange of words.

"I am not being 'that' annoying. Did his eye just twitch?"

When the door slammed shut Addie flinched and again when Randal began yelling at her. Gosh, this lot is hostile.

"I am thanks." Their bad attitudes rubbed off on her tone just a bit.

Without another word she walked over to the stool this time, seating herself with arms crossed as she waited for Hildegarde.

"I swear if the next person that walks through that door is as hostile as them I will walk my happy ass home."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

The girl sat down once more, arms crossed. Randal gave her a funny look, then returned to his chores. "She's really serious about this, huh?" he thought with a grimace. "Sweet Kia, is she gonna be in for a surprise when Lady Hildegarde actually gets here."

Ten minutes passed in relative silence. Randal finished watering the plants, shooting Addie dirty looks every so often. As he looked at his list to determine what he had to do next, he heard voices coming from beneath the floor.

"And you're sure she said her name was Adelaide?"

"Yeah! You know I wouldn't lie to you!"

Randal's eyes widened. "Crud, they're taking the tunnels? But I put the pot of lupins on the-"

*CRASH*

"... On the trapdoor... Randal thought dejectedly. Looking to the source of the noise, he saw Hildegarde Von Musel pulling herself up trough the trapdoor. She smiled excitedly at him.

"So where is she? It's been years since I got to talk to Addie!"

Tags: