Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where I live... (Blink)

Started by Wrathwyrm, June 03, 2017, 07:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

So!  Bowls, spoons, ladle, stew, done.  Keefe allowed herself the pause of enjoying some of her food before speaking again.  Nothing further removed her from the harsh life of the world outside La'Marri like a homecooked meal.  Once settled in that manner, the violet eyes of the ferret focused upon him.

"Well, you're not that much younger than Sano was when I took him in, so it's not as though age would be a factor.  In fact, considering I had so much more to teach him along with fighting, it may even go faster."

Yes, there was the fact that she taught him his magic, helped fill in what he lacked in education, and trained him to fight.

"The only issue, in reality, lies with myself.  I can't fight to the fullest right now, so I won't be starting off exactly as you might've seen between myself and Sano."

Which is a good thing, since she ended up bruising him regularly.  The two of them had had to explain to others that this was all part of the training and that Sano had agreed to it, and that Keefe would never do any real harm to her protege'.  Truer words were never spoken.  It toughened him up, quite a bit, and he was a worthy successor.  Shame he was only a little younger than she was, especially since Keefe had no idea how long her lifespan really was.

"What I propose is that your training will help my recovery exercises, the ones I've been doing to keep from growing soft and lazy.  You're gonna learn, alright.  When I'm finished, you'll outwit even unfair opponents, of which there are many in the world."

Blink

Keefe explained how Izayah was near the same age as Sano when he started. Very intently he processed that Keefe couldn't fight with everything due to her current state. None of this information even mattered to Izayah though. From the second he realized Keefe would help him it was taking every bit of self-restraint he had not to jump up and down cheering.

And then it hit him, the realization of how stupid he probably seemed right now. Izayah wasn't a child anymore and so he really needed to stop acting like one at times like this. He needed to keep his cool and appear calm and collected. That was important, wasn't it? Jumping at the very first thought to come to your mind was something that could probably even get you killed in some places.

"Thank you, Keefe." The meaning behind the words so much more than he could ever hope to explain. Single handily Keefe had just assured Izayah's entire future. He knew deep down that she wasn't lying and that when she was done he would be able to protect those he loved and so much more. He wouldn't be a burden anymore or lost living the same boring life day in and day out. Izayah now had a purpose, and again it was all thanks to Keefe.

"I will have to tell my parents at some point. They will figure it out if I don't. I think I want to tell my mom first, she always seems to at least try and understand where I am coming from. My dad is another story..."

Izayah already knew that the second Lannister found out it was going to be a battle similar to when he asked for his very first real weapon. His dad didn't know and would probably never understand why Izayah felt the way he did about his circumstances, but then again he wasn't born with useless blood like he was either.

"Yeah... definitely going to have to tell my mom first.."

Wrathwyrm

Having a talk like this over a warm meal was soothing to the senses, really took the edge off.  Well, for some, perhaps.    Izayah seemed quite a bit excited.  That much, he had over Sano when he first started.  Sano had been more than a little nervous around her, given that she'd been playing up the 'mysterious assassin calling all the shots' routine.  Oh well, at least in this case, he was familiar with her home life and not nearly as standoffish.  The only issue that Keefe could see at the present moment was that, even while injured, she was going to thoroughly outclass him.  Aspiring young artisans of ANY class or skill hated to be shown their limitations.  Even still, this represented a big change in his life.

"You should thank me when it's over, not when it's only begun."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

in the yard of a quaint little home in Serendipity, a young ferret Beastkin wearing mostly black stood - eyes closed and in heavy concentration - as several spinning metal objects orbitted around her.  An old lady in light clothes and a brown robe with a hat watched her.  Finally, the various pieces of metal gently lowered to the ground.  The young ferret opened her eyes.

"You've done well, Keefe.  I believe your control of that magic has properly solidified."

"All thanks to you, Ella."

"Oh, this old woman didn't do much.  My strength is in druidic lore, not the world of metal.  I merely showed you a door.  You opened it and embraced what was inside."

The ferret shook her head.

"No, I mean it.  I wasn't prepared before, and if I tried alone, I might've been killed."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yes, definitely after."

Even still, he was ready and raring to go.  Perhaps not today, since a good portion of the day was spent, but they would begin soon.  And then, there was the issue of his parents.  Yes, that was going to be a hard sell, apparently harder to his father, Lannister.

"It may occur sooner than you like.  There could be bruises unaccounted for, things that would tip them off to our activities."

Because, make no mistake: Keefe could still send him flying.

Blink

Keefe did have a point. After a while, Izayah could have an issue making up excuses over bruises that were inevitable. There was also the issue that Izayah and his father sparred quite often. Lannister knew how capable he was and if that skill suddenly started improving it would leave cause for question.

"I will tell them eventually."

Lifting another spoonful of stew to his mouth Izayah thought as he savored the flavor. He would tell his mother tonight so that hopefully she could soften the blow when he decided to tell Lannister. Maybe she could even help come up with excuses for a bit until they figured out exactly how to do it.

"So when can we start?" And he was at it again, bursting at the thought of finally getting to learn something useful.

Wrathwyrm

At least he could handle his parents.  Keefe did find just a twinge of jealousy running through her about that, though.  It's not that she had no one to care for her in her youth, just that her own family tree wa sessentially a stump with a seedling grown beside it.  No lineage, no history, and no parents.  She cared about Sano not only because of his power, but because he was in about he same boat, just discarded like trash and left with nothing.  She doubted that he even wanted any part of his old life.  Izayah snatched Keefe back to reality as she was thinking and eating, then.

"When?  Tomorrow, if that suits you.  Part of the day is gone already, and I need to see just how much of a recovery I've made."

The weakness from the sudden loss and potion-based replacement of blood, as well as all the physical torment from the curse, was subsiding, but she was not completely out of those woods.  Also, her core strength was - as stated - still lacking.  Such was the folly of stomach wounds.  She'd figure out her limits for fighting tonight.

Blink

"Tomorrow would be great!" Izayah then made quick work of the stew in front of him, emptying the bowl in half the time it would normally take. Already he was anxious for tomorrow to come, ready and eager to learn from Keefe.

"I will be here at first light!" Izayah then realized he couldn't come as soon as he woke up, he did still have chores to complete. "I mean I will be here a few hours after first light!" he corrected.

"I have chores to do first. I think I'm also going to try and talk to my mom."

Wrathwyrm

The rapid pace of his eating gave the woman pause for a moment.  Surely, that couldn't be any good for the digetion.  However, before she could point that out, Izayah made his bold declaration...followed by his amended declaration.  This made the lady ferret chuckle.  The clash of his determination and common sense were well-met.  He was very excited, but he was also thinking.  Very good.  He would need a good head on his shoulders.

"Promise me you're going to be much calmer and more serious when you tell her.  She needs to see this as a man's decision, rather than a boy's fancy.  You are serious about this, so you need to show it."

She thought about that, and then added.

"And please assure her that I will not be putting undue stress upon myself, either.  I know my limits.  I will have to work to overcome those limits, but that is for when I'm completely healed."

Blink

Keefe had a point. Izayah couldn't talk to his mother about this acting like anything other than a man.

"My mom understands me. I think she will know where I am coming from when I tell her. I think she also knows that I would never put you in a position that would lead to you hurting yourself." Izayah had been shadowing his mother for years. While he didn't have the expanse of knowledge that Nevayah did, Izayah did understand some things about medicine.

"Is there anything else you need before I go?"

Wrathwyrm

The ferret woman smiled at him, prepared to put some trust in the young man.

"Alright.  I leave it to you, then.  Come tomorrow, if it's you I see and not Nevayah to have a 'talk' with me, I'll know you've succeeded."

That said, Izayah wished to know if there was anything else he could do for her, but Keefe shook her head.

"Not at the moment.  You've saved me alot of work, Izayah.  I'm grateful, but don't force yourself."

He'd end up tiring himself out before completing the arduous task of convincing Nevayah.

Blink

Scooting his chair out from the table Izayah stood up and nodded. "I will see you at some point in the morning then." And he was off, practically running out of the house and then to his horse still tied outside.

That evening as he rode home Izayah was full of nerves and excitement. It had turned out to not be a horrible day at all, yet somehow he felt the worst of it wasn't even over with yet. He would wait to tell his father, that was a given. However, he needed to at least talk to his mom. This way if any bruises came up at least then he had a chance of making up some kind of beleivable excuse.

Already he was rehearsing how he would tell her, in fact he had an entire speech mapped out in his head by the time he rode up to their barn. Quickly though every single memorized line faded from his mind the moment he saw his mother placing her own horse into the pasture.

Opting to skip going into the barn Izayah rode his horse up and dismounted, removing the bridal and saddle very quickly before setting it loose in the pasture as well.

"So how was Keefe's" Nevayah asked as she began brushing off the tack.

"She seems to be doing very well actually. She is still moving around slowly and its clear she is still in some discomfort but I think overall she is doing much better." Izayah again mimicked his mother as he threw the gear over the fence to brush out.

"Well, that is nice to hear. You didn't give her any trouble did you?" At the last part of her statement Nevayah turned towards Izayah as she stared him down.

"No! Why do you always assume I am going to cause trouble anyway!?' His eyes narrowed as he tried to concentrate harder on cleaning off the saddle.

"Because Izayah I am your mother and I know you better than you would like to think. You are reckless and sometimes do things halfway in order to get it done quicker. Sometimes I wish you were more focused like Em-"

Izayah cut her off before she even had a chance to finish the name. "Why are you always comparing me to her!?"

Nevayah regretting even bringing up such a topic. She knew how much he hated being compared to his twin yet she did it anyway. I guess even Nevayah still had moments where she didn't think before she spoke. "Listen Izayah... I'm sorry." It was evident in her tone she was remourseful. "I just want you to be happy that is all. You always seem like your bored or bothered with everything lately. As a mother I have a right to nag you about happiness." Nevayah then stepped towards her son and pinched his cheek. "You will always be our little soldier."

He couldn't help but smile at his mother's joke. Yes, their little soldier. It was a nickname given to him by his father when he was just a little tot. Izayah had always proclaimed he would protect them no matter what, even as a 4 year old with nothing more than a stick. "Speaking of being happy...." Izayah's voice fell soft.

Nevayah only smiled when he said it. She wondered if this was going to happen, having had suspicions from the moment she left him at Keefe's. Nevayah knew what she was and she also knew that Keefe had trained Sano. It was only smart to leave a young and willing boy at her doorstep when she needed something to keep her on her feet. "I won't tell him until you're ready..."

Izayah stopped immediately and turned his gaze to his mother. How on earth did she figure it out that fast!? "... thanks." And then the two silently finished cleaning off the gear, both of them knowing that Lanister would be the hardest sell on this entire venture. From day one Nevayah had been on Izayah's side on what her son wanted. She knew all too well how it felt to be weak and useless and would do anything to keep him from that fate.

"That was easier than I thought. Also note to self: Check is mother has been practicing the art of mind reading...again."

Wrathwyrm

After Izayah had left, Keefe finished her meal in quiet thought, considering both how to handle the coming days, but also attempting to work out in her head where Sano put her assassin suit.  While talking with the young man, she had reached out with her mind to see if it could be found by its hidden daggers, but she felt that those were actually in her dresser, which did NOT contain the suit.  So then...she gave the matter some thought.

Now, let me think...  It's late at night, Both Sano and I have bloody clothes.  He burnt his, but I know he didn't do the same with me.  I'm in too fragile a condition for a while, barely alive.  He's had too much of a shock to do anything but watch and wait.  He doesn't try to change my clothes until later, realizing his mistake.  He knows the suit is important to me, but he doesn't know what to do with it.  So, where does he put it?

It hit her, and really she should have realized before.  It was so obvious, at least to her.  Getting up, Keefe cane-walked over to her room, sniffing the air.  Yes, not much gets out of there, but there were traces of that old blood smell, which she should have thought about sooner.  Reaching out with her mind, she undid the hidden latches inside the wall to reveal the secret closet.  Knives, swords, staffs, and - hanging up in the middle of it all - her hooded assassin suit.  Yes...it smelled of blood, alright.

"I may have to replace you."

It was in a state that she didn't like, akin to Batman or Catwoman finding their suits torn and muddied.  It was unacceptable.  Still, she now took a straight sword, a staff, and a pair of knives, and stepped outside.  Putting her cane down, Keefe slowly walked out into what was essentially her back yard...and began to train.  With every thrust and swing - sword, staff, knives - she noticed it: Her lack of strength made her slow.  It was a slow start to get up to speed, and then a wince from the exertion.  She could compensate with her mind and her magic, but this was unacceptable as a way of being.  Keefe was still young.  She didn't even know when she would be considered old.  She couldn't peak now, and then forever falter.

Well, Izayah, it seems we BOTH have alot of work to do...