Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Weary Road

Started by Vizzerdrix, June 29, 2017, 04:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizzerdrix

Suunder moved slowly along the trail. His feet ached from all the walking he had done lately. He had barely managed to give a pair of bounty hunters the slip over a week ago and he had hardly stopped at all as he continued north. His original plan shot Suunder figured he head farther north and hide out for a little in the first village he came upon until he figured it was safe enough to head back south and then east towards the coast of Serendipity.

His stomach grumbled a little and Suunder was reminded it had been a few days since he had eaten. Have grown up in Essyrn he had little reason to develop any sort of skills that would help him survive in the wilderness. His mouth also felt dry and he dared not drink from any of the creeks he had traveled past, not since the last time when he came down with some sort of sickness that left him barely able to move until he finally located a healer who had helped, along with taking a decent chunk of the money he had been trying to save.

Seeing a village in the distance Suunder headed in it's direction pulling the hood of his cloak over his head. Walking into town he asked the first bypasser where he was.

"La'marri sir."

Shaking his head as if he had actually heard of the place Suunder continued to wander a bit until he spied what appeared to be a tavern. His stomach growling again Suunder walked towards the building and cautiously entered. Looking around as his eyes adjusted to darker room Suunder noted a few people around the tavern. Quietly watching them and determining none of them were likely bounty hunters Suunder walked over to the bar and sat down upon an empty stool that was near one of the darker corners and waited for the barkeep to notice him.

Salzem

Lanister was working late today, as per the usual and business was indeed booming as per the usual. Luckily, everyone today was a happy drunk, content to sing and dance (within reason), reliable enough with their tabs and kept their spaces relatively clean. He had to say, today was better than most days, no small part due to Lanister's overwhelming exceptionalism as a Bar-tender in both conversation and drink-making. It was often whispered about by the drunken men in the bar that his hands were a blur as they worked between orders and although that could've been just their drink blurring their eyes, he took pride in their rumors regardless.

Over time, Lanister had gotten good at determining who was a regular here and who wasn't and who "belonged" here and who didn't. It was easy to tell who was a regular because they were often loud and knew them man by name but when it came to who belonged, they almost always sat somewhere in the back, not talking to anyone or even placing an order... such was the case with this newcomer, a man who looked around and sat at the far corner of the bar almost as if he had a purpose.

Lanister looked at the man cautiously, quietly as he cleaned a cup with a napkin, contemplating what exactly this guy could want... Could it be that he was waiting for someone or that he wanted something specific...? After he finished up making sure that cup sparkled, Lanister slipped ALL the way down to the man's end, leaning on the bar almost intruding on the man's space. Almost.

"Is there something I can get for you, sir?" He asked, his expression mild. "A drink perhaps, or some food?"

Vizzerdrix

Suunder had watched the barkeep interact with the other patrons in the bar. He seemed efficient and well liked amongst those that seemed to be regulars, sometimes even giving drinks to those few regulars who filtered in as the shadows of the afternoon began to grow long before they even told him what they wanted.

Suunder observed the barkeep a bit longer. The former gladiator saw that the younger man moved about with purpose and hardly seemed to waste any movement. Duunder figured the man had a bit of  training or at the very least was a former adventurer who was lucky enough to make his fortune early and retire.

Finally wrapping up with his other customers the barkeep made his way over to where Sunnder sat.

"Is there something I can get for you, sir? A drink perhaps, or some food?"

"A bit of ale if you don't mind and whatever you have warming up over the fire please." Suunder as he pulled a silver coin out of the purse inside his cloak and laid it on the bar. It pained him to spend the money but he was thirsty and hungry and needed to pay for it.

"I don't suppose you know of any caravans passing through in need of a guard at all perchance would you?" Suunder asked hoping the barkeep had any information at all.

Salzem

Lanister nodded and smiled as the man made his request, fetching the ale post-haste and grabbing a bowl of stew from the cooking-pot by the fireplace. He placed the bowl before the dwarf, tossing a spoon in while he was at it while pouring the ale into a tankard fit for a dwarf before placing that too before the man. He smiled and took the silver coin his patron offered, looking under the bar for a small sack of coins. When he returned, he placed a small handful of coppers before the man, his change. Lanister needed not worm any more money than he needed to out of this guy as he was doing well enough tonight as it was. His family would remain full and happy, his business would remain as vibrant and happy as ever and the food and drink would always be warm. Perhaps this was one of the reasons Lanister was so popular, that he was a generous and kindly host, the kind of man you got to think of as a friend after only a couple of visits.

The tainted-blood glanced up as the man asked if he knew of any caravans coming soon, any that would need a guard. Ah... the second duty of the bar-keep... the rumor-mill.. He smiled, happy to provide this man with any information he had, though it wasn't much.

"Well... It just so happens there's a caravan coming through here in a week and last I saw, they were running a little low on hired-swords. I'm certain they're willing to take you along, my friend." It was around this point that a majority of the customers began to leave, realizing no-doubt that their wives or mothers would have their hides if they didn't come home before curfew. The rest were either too lonely, too drunk or unconscious to move, leaving the bar more sparse than it was, but not exactly empty.

"So... What's your story?" Lanister asked, refilling the man's ale if he finished it already. "On the house."

Vizzerdrix

(OOC: Sorry for taking so long X|)

Suunder swiped the coins up seconds after they hit the bar and stashing them back into his coinpurse. The stew was filling if not unusual. Having lived in the desert most his life had never really eaten such cuisines before and Suunder found the farther north he came the more prevalent these odd dishes were. Regardless he found the dish filling and satisfying as he rudely scarfed it down in front of the barkeep. The ale washed down the food and Suunder was filling somewhat satisfied at the meal and drink.

"A week huh?" said Suunder, he wasn't sure if he had enough coin for that long, maybe if he camped out in the wilderness, that would save him some coin. Food was the other issue, although Suunder knew he could skip a meal here or there and maybe scavenge something from the woods.

Suunder looked at the man curiously, generally where he came from anything "free" came for a different sort of price. He hoped the man was only asking for his story in payment. He wanted to be honest with the man due to his kindness but discretion was needed.

"Not much to tell honestly, I grew up down south and became a town guard."  Suunder lied as he wiped his mouth of and felt the first effects of the drink. "After a while the routine became boring I had this feeling like there's something more out there in this world. So I resigned my position, sold most my stuff and took up with the first caravan headed north to explore the world."

Salzem

Lanister peered at the man as he sipped his drink, thinking over what he claimed himself to be. The man looked far too seasoned to be any kind of guard, captain or otherwise. Guards hardly ever saw action in the way a soldier would, taking down thugs, thieves and the occasional murderer but hardly ever other trained soldiers. This man looked like the kind of guy that could rip off a guard's arm without a second thought. He looked like the kind of men guards shied away from for their own safety. No... this guy was no guard but he was no one to pry into the business of men like these. He was just here to keep their cups and bellies full.

"Well, I can sympathize with that, my friend. Guard duty is hardly the most exciting job out there. Keep your eyes open, though. The world isn't a very nice place sometimes." Lanister smiled lightly at his patron, looking around to make sure no one was listening before leaning in to whispering distance.

"If you're looking for work, rumor has it there's a cave to the north of here a little ways... Some necromancer had set up shop and their undead has begun leaking into the surrounding woods. While the guard take care of any that wander too close, people are getting worried. I have a good sum of money prepared for anyone who can clear out that cave and the undead in it... Might tide you over comfortably until your next job. What do you say, friend, deal?"

Vizzerdrix

The world isn't a very nice place sometimes.

Suunder knew all to well how cold and dispassionate the world could be, in he would argue the world was never a nice place. That was neither here nor there right now though. Still memories of beatings and starvation still rang fresh in his mind.

When he was younger, before he was kidnapped and sold off, Sunnder had been impartial to other's suffering. Others problems simply weren't his, especially the slaves his family and others had owned. Since being a slave SUunder's views on the matter had obviously and understandably shifted. He had watched friends of his starved and worked to death. Other friends of his slaughtered in the arena had taught Suunder the world was a cold and careless place.

"Necromancer? That's one of those people that plays with dead things?" asked Suunder. He mulled the man's proposal over in his head, usually he didn't like to go looking for trouble, his money situation though was deteriorating though and this could be a fairly decent payday.

"How much money are we talking about here exactly and how far north is this place?" 

Salzem

Lanister laughed as the man asked his question as to what a necromancer actually was, surprised that such knowledge wasn't made common. Oh, well... he didn't mind explaining all that much... Anything to help him clear out the cave to the north... Well... Help him help Lanister... It wasn't like he was just going to let this man go off on his own. After all, it wouldn't be gentlemanly.

"Yes." He confirmed, nodding. "It's the people that play with dead-things. As for your pay, you are being offered at least 250 gold coins, a small assortment of valuable gems worth plenty at any pawnshop, and 50 silver. All of this and whatever you find in the cave that has value to you are yours to take if you clean out that necromancer." How did Lanister come into contact with precious gems...? Well... the tainted-blood had experience dealing with demons apparently. The first times, they were completely unwittingly but now... One had come to him some time ago... offered him gems in exchange for small favors. Pick up a rock here.... drop this ring there... Nothing that seemed to effect anyone in any way... Strangely enough, Lan never saw it's face... Only two white glowing orbs several feet above him and the wide rim of a hat...

Lanister drew back the back from the could-be merc, making sure he didn't A, swipe it early, and be, so nobody else saw what he was offering. "The location is a good mile... maybe too up the road that leads to the north. There's an inn on the outskirts for traveling merchants called the White-Tooth Lodge... If you go west a little ways you'll find the cave... For some reason the undead pay the lodge no mind... I'll throw in a little extra gold if you can find out why. And finally..."

Lanister crouched behind the bar, pulling out a long, dusty but surly effective long-sword, one that came with a strap and sheath.

"I'm coming with you. Gotta make sure the job is done, you understand my good man. SO, do we have an accord...?"

Tags: