Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Midnight Harvest

Started by Whim, October 21, 2017, 09:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

The Midnight Harvest

QuoteThe southern reaches of Serendipity are blessed with fertile soil and bountiful harvests. But this, of course, comes at a price. When night falls during the height of autumn the fey of the Winter Court, lead by Duke Blackthorn, ride from village to village and transform children into horrible beasts. The now-monstrous boys and girls must gather sweet and pretty things to pay back the faeries. Those who succeed are restored come morning; those who fail will remain beasts forever. The Village of Hylop has grown used to the Midnight Harvest over the years. It's now a festival and right of passage. Townsfolk leave token offerings so every child may return safely. Of course, older and more adventurous children use their monstrous forms to make mischief, and raid neighboring farms...

With Halloween approaching I thought I'd be festive and run a small event. Its going to be set in a rustic village on the edge of Serendipity. It will revolve around a pack of children who have fallen prey to the curse, and decided to rampage through the countryside. Children ages six to sixteen will change part-way into monsters and gain strange powers, but will otherwise retain their personalities and former features. It would be clear to any onlooker they are not truly malicious. Conflict will arise as the kids raid rival villages, and more dutiful monster-children defend their homes. I'm debating whether or not to randomize who becomes what, or allow people choose what fits?

Adults typically refrain from the festivities and hide in-doors once night falls. An iron horse-shoe will prevent the cursed children from approaching a structure. Warding your entire property, however, is considered bad form as a child without tribute would be lost. That, and most adults in the village had their turn to sew destruction and horror. Ignorant travelers invariably get caught up in the mess. If you want to play a wizard whose apprentice has been turned, or a parent hunting after their kid, go right ahead. I ask that no demons, dragons, or gods be involved. This is a story about ordinary people in a fantastical situation.

Character Ideas

• Nobles from Arca are passing through Hylop. Much to their horror, their first born becomes a hideous troll. Worse yet, he needs to run around with country children to be put right.
  • The sweet, dutiful daughter of the innkeeper becomes a fire-breathing dragon. She doesn't want to cause trouble... but... burning crops is a lot of fun!
  • An outcast bully finds her conscience, and gets into some monster battles protecting a poor old man's orchard.
  • An adolescent adventurer, far too old for all of this, becomes a pathetic goblin. He tries to reign in the little hellions, but he'll need them if he's to be changed back.
  • If you have a character with reason to be traveling in Serendipity, feel free to jump in.

Enlisted Characters
Beryl Feyal
Colby mac Arryn
Michelo Malloy
"Little Gary"

I'm looking for 2-4 players to join in the event. You can sign up below. If you like the idea, and want to create off-shoot threads, you're more than welcome! Feel free to create a kid to join, or if you have any appropriate characters I'm sure they can be traveling the region. There will be no posting order and I intend for the event to move quickly.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Wrathwyrm

Well, I have some weird suggestions.  Check this out...

As a fighter-for-hire who's centered in Serendipity, Rena, could be either passing through, or even have been hired by villagers for some reason, if they feel that this half-elven warrior - who is both kind and very capable in her abilities - can do something for them during this time.

On the other hand, Gary Blight could've heard about this curious harvest, and probably not appreciated that crack about goblins.  He would be more inclined to make sure that these little monsters either remain so, or get the most out of it.  Or, in fact, he could rob people blind.

Thirdly, and...weirdly, A strange black rabbit enters the area...which is actually a dangerous animal with blue-and-orange morality.  I've been looking for stuff to randomly throw Fuzzy into, mostly because he's trying to find Gary for getting him burnt!

Lastly, if these ideas do not meet with your approval, I'm sure I could think of a kid to make.  I'm a magical font of creativity, bursting with ideas when the juices get flowing.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

I'd like to get Beryl involved! If it's in southern Serendipity, then there's a possibility of her passing through. Maybe she has to hide her identity from the other kids?

Whim

@Eckhart_Von_Musel
Beryl sounds awesome! I added her to the roster. Having her be a stuffy foil to Colby, and the other peasant children, could be amusing. Perhaps tags along on a more daring adventure to try and reign them in, or keep an eye as they're so close to Altas Verde's border?

@Wrathwyrm
Its up to you. I really love the idea of Gary Blight sneaking along and pretending to be one of the kids as he goes on a crime spree, or even trick some into failing to get some henchmen. I think Gary would work best if we have 3-4 "real" children in the mix so he's more the odd-man out. I trust you'd also be able to whip up an awesome kid to tag along.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Wrathwyrm

Okay, so after a bit of discussion...

Gary Blight will be crashing the party!

But...he'll have to deal with Michelo Malloy!

Whim

I was going to start us off at an opening ceremony, at sundown, where children are gathered to the village green. Colby will ditch his sister's to try and run with the older kids. Perhaps he idolizes Michelob since the older boy is everything he wants to be (minus the fox ears.) Beryl's family could he stopping with no idea what's going on until it's too late.

Does that sound good?

(I am traveling until Thursday. I'll try to see what I can get done from the hotel room.)

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Wrathwyrm

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Beryl's advisor probably brought her there, since her family went missing about a year ago. Aart from that, sounds good!

Whim

Sorry for the delay! The Midnight Harvest will now begin.

And I'm so sorry! I completely forgot about Beryl's family situation. I suppose it might work best if she attends the event, being unfamiliar with the tradition? Or thinks she won't be affected as a noble or non-local?

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Tags: