Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Spare a Room? {DragonSong}

Started by Celegwen, February 07, 2018, 07:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

"No," he said simply, giving her a small grin. "Your mother needed reassurance, so I gave it to her. My intentions are pure, though. I'm a man of honor."

He wasn't sure how Lily would react to his lie, but he always felt it was better to be truthful when he could. Declan held his journal to his unusually unexposed chest, as he followed Lily through her home.

"Originally, I come from Cerenis," he said. "My mother loved the sea, and when my father came back from Reajh after her death, he couldn't leave the town." His tone took on an uncharacteristic sentimentality when talking about his past. He missed his father, but he wasn't looking to give his position up any time soon.

DragonSong

Lily paused at the top of the stairs and turned to look him up and down, not bothering to hide the calculating look in her eye.

Then she smiled. "Thank you for your honesty, Ser Mad- Declan. Though I must warn you Mother always finds these sort of things out. Best come up with a cover story for your lie before she does." Her eyes glinted a little wickedly as she turned to lead him down the hall.

She didn't judge him for the white lie- it wasn't hurting anyone, and she'd been in an out of courtly affairs her whole life. She knew the kind of instincts a life in politics could instill, much as it might irritate her sometimes.

Her step hesitated as he told her the truth of his homeland. "I'm...sorry about your mother," she said quietly. Silence lulled for a long moment.

"What's the sea like?" she asked eventually as they paused before a the doorway to the west wing of the estate. Her hands were clasped behind her back and she admitted with a slight flush, "I've never seen it. Mother and Father...I'm too delicate to go on such a journey." Her mouth twisted a little sourly at the edges.

Celegwen

The elf smirked at Lily's comment about coming up with a cover story. If he could help to ensure peaceful relations between two lands with extremely different ways of life, he could handle one protective mother.

When they stopped in front of a door, Declan walked in front of Lily with wide eyes. "Never?" He said in disbelief. "That's bullshit!" His voice then was a forceful whisper, and he chuckled. "Forgive my language. That was inappropriate, but very true."

It astonished him that someone could be an adult without ever seeing the ocean. He practically spent all of his free time on the docks and the beach as a child.

Declan leaned against the wall. "Picture a blue, more vast than the sky and more mysterious than the night. When the sun shines, the water sparkles so brightly it could be blinding. You stare out at the horizon and it just keeps going. There's no indication that it stops, and there's nothing that could block your view, aside from a dolphin's silhouette leaping; and that's only if you're lucky.

"Picture waves that crest against sand banks with foamy peaks whiter than a cloud." His voice lowered for the next sentence. "They can be strong as an unbroken stallion, or they can lap at your ankles with the softness of a kiss." Swallowing, he shook his head. "The sand, under the warmth of the sun, is like wrapping yourself in a blanket through a winter storm.

"Here's the catch, though... As great as the sea may be, she's a fragile creature. If one element of the underwater life is removed, she'll slowly begin to die. That beauty and mystery could crumble." Declan's violet eyes held her silver eyes. "You see, even something as powerful and incredible as the sea can be described as...delicate."

DragonSong

Her eyes widened and she gave a startled little giggle for the unexpected language, but waved his apologies off.

She found herself resting back against the door frame as she listened to him speak, describing a natural wonder she'd only before seen paintings of, and those rarely. Without really meaning to, Lily began leaning toward him a bit as he described the sea, closing her eyes to better try to imagine it.

When she opened her eyes she found herself caught in his gaze, and her breath hitched. Even something as powerful as the sea could be delicate. "Oh?" She blinked, and suddenly her cheeks were rather warm. "O-oh."

With a sharp, less-than-graceful movement she jerked back and fumbled with the door. "That's...well. Ahem. Thank you." Her blush worsened and she added quickly, "I meant for- that is, about the sea, and...oh, never mind."

She cleared her throat and strode quickly into the west wing. "This way then, there's a pair of empty rooms at the end of the hall."

Celegwen

Declan pressed his lips together in a tight smile, surprisingly satisfied at her flustered reaction. He listened to her stammer and watched her stumble, while he stood in a statuesque manner.

Though it was true that he was a man of honor, he was also a man of power. As much as he would try to deny it, there was something enticing about being able to make someone quiver with just words. The partial sentences that Lily tried to make into one only made Declan's pride swell.

As she strode into the west wing, the elf didn't remove his eyes from her. He followed her, watching every movement with precision and a strange kind of grace.

"Very well," he said finally. Declan walked beside her, his naturally long strides slowed so she didn't have to rush. "Thank you for your hospitality."

Approaching the rooms, he peered inside at the modest, yet classy guest rooms. There was a desk in one, which he was thankful for. Despite him being away from the capital, his work never truly stopped. He rubbed the back of his neck a bit, glancing into the room, then smiled at Lily.

DragonSong

Lily smiled in return and nodded to him, dipping into a half curtsy for a moment before she stepped back. "Of course. Hopefully Mistress Thera will return soon with your driver, and perhaps you'd all like something to eat? I'm sure Mother has already informed the kitchen staff we'll be having guests for dinner."

Though internally she was still a little flustered- and irritated because she wasn't entirely sure why- she managed to slip back into the role of young Lady Hartnet as she addressed him, draping propriety around her shoulders like a protective cloak.

"I'm not sure how much you've brought with you, but I'm sure my father or Jorris may have some clothes you could borrow if you'd like to change." She paused, looked him up and down, then amended with a wry smile, "Actually...I'm fairly sure. I'm not sure if you've noticed but you're a rather tall man, Ser Maddox."

Celegwen

A laugh escaped him, as he looked down at his outfit. "Yes, I don't believe your father or brother's clothing would be able to fit me." He took a breath, nodding. "Well, luckily I do come prepared. Thera should be back soon enough." He was about to step into the room before stopping himself. "Also, I suggest you don't address Thera as mistress. She's a touchy woman. Just call her Thera."

He walked into the room, gesturing for her to wait for him. Declan picked up on her sudden formality, enjoying it even more that he saw she used it as a defense.

The elf placed his journal on the desk, crouching to assess the contents of some of the drawers. Finding two quills and inkwells, he stood with a smirk. "This'll do nicely, thank you." Declan removed his long jacket, draping it over the bed and turning to face Lily again. "I'm sure Thera and Jackson, our driver, will be famished, but I must decline. She'll be back with my things, and I have some work I must do."

Pulling out the chair to the desk, he sat with his right ankle on his left knee. "Perhaps, I can make it up to you?" Declan rose once more, walking up to her and reaching behind his neck. He held his right hand open in front of his stomach, quickly catching one of the four necklaces he wore. It was a multicolored beaded necklace with a silver moon pendant on it. "Helps you sleep," he said quietly, holding it up to put it on her. "Tomorrow, what do you say to an early morning stroll?"

DragonSong

She stiffened her eyes going wide as he closed the distance between them. It wasn't that she felt unsafe, or even necessarily uncomfortable- she just wasn't used to men she didn't know encroaching into her space. Or even most of the men she did know, in all honesty.

Her eyes flickered down to the pendant, then back up to his face as it settled at her collar. The beads were an oddly comforting weight against her skin.

Magic. She didn't have to ask, she just knew- how else could a necklace help her sleep? Half of her wanted to tear the thing from her neck and throw it as far from her body as she could manage, years of an ingrained fear pressing down on her heart. But the other half...

Her fingers delicately traced the edge of the silver moon, then she dropped her hand and offered a small smile. "That is very kind of you, ser. My thanks."

Lily dipped into another small curtsy, eyes downcast, and turned to leave. "If you need anything at all, just ask; we'll do our best." She paused in the doorway, hand on the frame. "And...I'd be delighted to take a walk tomorrow morning."

She slipped out of the room before she could say anything else, her heart giving a nervous little skip in her chest. She carefully tucked the pendent under the neckline of her dress, where the silver moon settled just on her breast. Her fingertips brushed the metal through the fabric and she smiled as she hurried back to the parlor.

Celegwen

The elf smiled, brushing his hands beneath her hair and not releasing her eyes. He saw the internal struggle that she briefly had, but her acceptance of the pendant spoke a lot about her ability to have an open mind.

He was silent as she quickly left, watching the subtle sway of her dress. Leaning against the doorframe with his hands in his pockets.

She and her family are hosting you, Declan thought to himself. Stop thinking about her.

Ducking back into the room, he sat at the desk, taking out one of the quills and inkwells. He opened his journal, valuely hearing the front doors open.

Downstairs, Thera pushed open the door without knocking. She and Jackson stepped in, lugging two bags and a decently large chest. Thera put the chest on the ground, looking at Lord Hartnet. "All right," she said. "Now, I'd appreciate Berthel and Andre's help." She took the bags from Jackson, gesturing to the chest. "It's kinda heavy. Where's the ambassador?"

DragonSong

As if on cue Berthel hurried forward, exclaiming, "Ma'am, I do wish you'd asked for assistance. Andre!" A footman scurried into the foyer on his heels at the call.

Lily reached the top of the stairs the moment Thera and Jackson arrived, and she quickly hurried down to answer the guard's question. "He's just upstairs, M- Thera. I thought you might be more comfortable closer to your charge, so I gave you the two rooms at the end of the west hall." As Berthel hefted one bag and Andre another, she bit her lip and tried to offer, "May I help with the chest-"

"Out of the question." Lily appeared in a whirl of skirts and her daughter sighed, stepping back. "I'm sure Ayla and Jackson can manage. Ayla? Drat, where is the girl?"

"Here, mistress." A maid stepped out from the door that led into the kitchens; she must have been just behind it when the lady of the house called for her. Lily and the other young woman exchanged a tired look that spoke volumes about Lady Hartnet's fluttering mannerisms as she moved forward to help with the luggage.

"Wonderful. Supper should be ready within the hour, I should think." Lydia clasped her hands and smiled cheerily as the rest of her family filed into the foyer to see what all the fuss was.

"Oh!" Lily quickly turned to Thera and dipped into an automatic half curtsy. "Ambassador Maddox said he won't be joining us for dinner as he has duties to attend to, but you and-"

"You are, of course, welcome to dine with us," Carlton said with a smile before his daughter could finish the invitation. Lily scowled and gave Jackson an apologetic look. It was positively archaic, the idea of servants and nobility not being allowed to each in the same room. But it was what Lydia adhered to, so it was the rule the manor followed.

Celegwen

Thera huffed at the butler's exclamation. She didn't want to be treated any differently. She helped to support the chest the entire way there, despite it being on a horse's back.

Either way, she let Andre and Berthel take the bags from her. When Lady Hartnet appeared, Thera smirked, as the thought of Jackson carrying the chest was almost laughable. "Ayla and I will take the chest," Thera said quickly. "Jackson isn't as strong as he used to be."

"Bad back, ma'am," the older man said to the lady of the house.

"He takes care of the horses," the mordecai said, taking hold of one side of the chest. "Ayla, I hope you're strong because this can't be damaged."

Jackson's eyes fell slightly at his invitation being dropped, but it was something he was used to. Thera nodded at Lord and Lady Hartnet, silently accepting their dinner invitation. She was definitely looking forward to some good food.

The man gave a half bow to Lord Hartnet, not out of disrespect, but because he really couldn't go lower. "M'lord, might there be a stable on yer property we can borrow? I got four horses tied up outside."

DragonSong

Ayla beamed at Thera and made a show of hefting her side of the chest. "Oh I'll be right as rain, mum, don't you worry about me none. Spent most of my girlhood lugging buckets of water and such, this is no nevermind to me." Her babble nearly drowned out Jackson question.

"I can show you," Lily hurried to speak before her parents or siblings could, and she moved forward and offered Jackson her arm with a smile.

"Oh- well, I suppose. If you're quite sure you're feeling alright..." Lydia hedged.

"Mother." Jorris laid a hand on her shoulder with a fondly exasperated sigh. "Lily hasn't had a fit in nearly three weeks. I'm sure they'll be fine just walking to the stable."

"I-" Lydia looked from her husband to her eldest son, then sighed and relented, "I suppose. Very well." She fixed a polite smile on her face and nodded. Lily just barely waited for the permission before she guided Jackson back and out a side door.

"Would you like a bath, after you've retired from supper?" she offered with a small smile once they were out of earshot. "I'm sure you and Thera and Master Declan have been on the road a while, and I know Andre won't mind heating the water."

Celegwen

The mordecai smirked, disappearing up the stairs with the maid. "Call it a hunch, but you haven't met the ambassador yet, huh?" She chuckled, shaking her head. "Wouldn't have agreed so quickly if you had."

Jackson bowed his head to the lord and lady of the house, before following Lily out the door. "Thank ya, m'lady."

He could tell that Lily was extremely eager to get out of the house, which probably meant it wasn't a common occurrence. Jackson took hold of the reins to all four pure white horses - two in each hand - and smiled at the young lady.

"I don't need a bath, m'lady, but thanks fer the offer. I had a bath just the other day. I can manage by meself." He followed her to the stables, his dark eyes looking the girl up and down. A sudden huff that was probably something of a laugh escaped him. "Master Declan quite likes you, then." He motioned to the necklace peaking out of the girl's neckline. "That's mighty important to him."

DragonSong

Lily had to exert a decent amount of self-control not to just sprint out to the stables, basking in the sensation of fresh air and the hovering storm that was now clearly on the horizon. Her hunch had been right.

"What?" She blinked at Jackson's comment, then flushed as her eyes followed his to the necklace and she adjusted her neckline to hide it. "Oh, well, I...ahem. I wouldn't know. He just said...it would help me sleep."

Turning her head to hide her blush, she moved forward and took a pair of reins in each hand so they each only held two animals. "Well, aren't you lovely," she praised the horse who snuffled at her shoulder curiously, then chuckled when he tossed his head at the unfamiliar scent. She turned her attention back to Jackson and nodded toward the long, low building set a little ways back from the main manor.

"The stables are just this way." She glanced up. "We'd better hurry, that rain will be here soon."

Celegwen

"Beggin' yer pardon, m'lady," Jackson said, smiling at the horse nuzzling the girl. "Wasn't me place."

They reached the stables, and Jackson opened one of the empty stalls. He put his two horses in stalls, then opened two for the ones Lily was holding. The man stretched, cracking his back in a few places.

Jackson glanced at the sky. Strangely enough, the few clouds in the sky had taken on a grey color. His brows knotted together. "That's an odd happenin', eh?" He mumbled to himself. "Rain wasn't expected on this here trip."

He pursed his thin lips together. "Off with ya now, m'lady," Jackson said. "Wouldn't want yer mama to get herself worked up." He looked down. "With all due respect, of course. I'll follow ya soon."

DragonSong

Lily laughed and, without thinking about it, reached out to touch his shoulder in a companionable sort of way. "Noted," she chuckled as she drew her hand back. "Just...do mind the rain? I wouldn't want you to get caught out here in a downpour." She smiled again and offered a small wave, along with a few pats for the horses, before she hurried out and back across the lawn to the manor.

The ever darkening sky was abruptly a steely gray and she heard a clap of thunder in the distance. She paused and craned her neck back to watch the sky, then closed her eyes as the first few raindrops pattered down on her face.

Her lips curved in a small smile and she spread her arms as though to embrace the storm, a lone figure in the manor's carefully cultivated garden, the sudden wind tossing her hair about her face as the slowly strengthening rain trickled down her cheeks and brow to her shoulders. She spun in a circle, laughing softly to herself.

"Mistress Lily!"

Ayla had appeared in the doorway- she must have finished helping Thera with the chest. The maid eyed the rain sourly and beckoned for the young Lady Hartnet to come inside. "Hurry up, now, missus, or your mother'll have both our hides."

Lily sighed, but she knew the other girl was right. She scurried back into the shelter of the manor and let the door shut behind her as another peal of thunder rang out from somewhere over the horizon.

(OOC: How would you feel about a quick timeskip on my next post? Maybe to after dinner?)

Celegwen

Jackson nodded to the girl, as she hurried away. He made sure to secure the horses, especially after the first clap of thunder startled them. For such majestic creatures, the horses were complete jackasses.

Thera leaned against the wall in Declan's room, tossing him the key to the chest. "Why'd you need to bring all this shit?" She asked annoyed. "Isn't this supposed to be a vacation?"

The elf smirked, standing up from the desk. "There's a reason why the embassy puts up with me, Thera. And no, it isn't my dashing good looks."

"Right, because that's immediately what I thought."

"I'm good at my job," Declan finished, not acknowledging her sarcasm. He tucked the keys in his pocket, walking over to the window at the sudden thunder. He was genuinely shocked that Lily was right in her prediction, but decided that he wouldn't press the issue. "Rain."

Thera nodded slowly. "Rain does usually follow thunder, Maddox. I'm going down for dinner. Join us, if you feel like being a good guest."

"I have work to do," he said absently, looking at the lone figure spinning in the rain. A soft smile crossed his lips without him noticing, as he watched Lily enjoy just being alive and free.

The mordecai approached, puzzled as to his change in attitude. She saw what he was looking at and shook her head with a sigh. "Don't do it, ambassador." Her tone had a clear meaning behind it. He glanced at Thera with a short nod, then she disappeared to join the Hartnets for dinner.

(OOC: Yeah, be my guest! After dinner sounds good!)

DragonSong

Meals at the Hartnet country estate were normally a relative docile affair, but with guests staying the manor it was a bit more lively. The twins were finally participating in conversation, Jessamine asking if Thera knew anything about the current season and fashions in Reajh while Dorian was more interested in her work as a mordecai. Jorris, for his part, tried to play the big brother and keep conversation relatively calm, but there was only so much he could do against the two suddenly energetic teenagers.

Lily rather kept to herself through the meal, glancing at the rain that by now was hammering against the windows every so often, or the door into the kitchens were the servants would be eating. As soon as was considered polite, she excused herself from the table, claiming she felt a bit faint.

Of course, this immediately set her mother off into a spin of matronly worry, but she assured her it was nothing serious and that she simply planned to retire to the library, or perhaps her own rooms, at which point Lydia allowed her to leave.

It was easy enough to slip into the kitchen- no one was paying her any attention at that point anyway. She gave Ayla and Andre a quick smile as they looked up from their meal. "Don't suppose there's anything left over?"

Ayla snorted. "With the way Bastian cooks? 'Course there is, missus." She arched her back and winced at the stretch. "Ack. I'll tell ya what though, that ambassador whats-it carries a bloody sack of bricks around with him, he does, if that chest's sommat to go by."

Lily chuckled and moved to collect a plate, stacking it with the roasted duck Bastian had prepared for supper, vegetables, and a freshly baked roll before she made her way upstairs.

She got all the way down the west hall before she hesitated, staring at the plate in her hand. Was she being too forward? Would she be disturbing him? Should she have asked Ayla or Marie to do this instead? Or maybe this was actually expected, and the time she spent dawdling would-

Pull yourself together, girl. She huffed out a breath and knocked sharply. "Ser Ma- Declan? I thought you might like something to eat, I've brought a plate up."

Celegwen

Downstairs, Thera answered Dorian's questions with ease and genuine delight. Jessamine's, on the other hand, weren't exactly within her range of knowledge. The mordecai woman didn't really keep up with fashion, but she urged Jessamine to question the ambassador, as he actually understood all of that nonsense.

Upstairs, Declan had practically layered the room in papers in the short time he was left alone. He had a habit of locking his door in the embassy because people were rather nosy, a habit which carried into the Hartnets' home.

His formal clothing had been removed and tucked away: he was now barefoot in loose, black pajama pants, no shirt, and a black robe made of silk that he left open. At that point, even his necklaces were off and out of sight. His oddly colored hair was slightly disheveled, enough to make it clear he had been gripping at it, but not enough to look like he just woke up.

The desk had two neat piles of papers, while the floor basically had a carpet of papers with unusual designs on them. At the sound of a sharp knock, Declan looked up with wide eyes and a heaving chest. He was snapped out of his trance, much like Lily's at the piano. When he was working, he tended to become consumed by it, absent to the world around him.

The elf stood, tripping slightly on his foot which had fallen asleep. He winced, glancing down at the papers, glad that none of them had moved. Declan shook his leg awake, then unlocked the door. He opened the door carefully to not blow away any papers and flashed Lily a warm smile.

"Thank you," he said, gratefully taking the plate of food. The meal looked incredible, especially since he had forgotten that he actually was hungry. "Uh, where are my manners? Come in. Mind your step, though!"

DragonSong

Lily was sure her face had gone ten different shades of rosy and she dropped her eyes quickly from his face and that ridiculously, alluringly disheveled hair. Except lowering her gaze didn’t help much, because he wasn’t wearing a shirt.

Oh.

Dear.

God.

That just wasn’t fair. Politicians shouldn’t be allowed to be that fit. She was desperately trying to come up with some graceful way to excuse herself from the situation, but then he invited her into the room and what was she supposed to do? Tell him no?

“Well, I...thank you.” Keeping her eyes downcast, she picked her way delicately across the paper-strewn floor to perch on the edge of the bed. “You should, um, eat that while it’s hot,” she blurted out, gesturing to the plate he now held.

Ansgar preserve me for I have sinned, she thought a little giddily as her eyes flickered over his form again, quite literally unable to help herself. She’d never seen a man- or anyone- so cavalier about what to her was a state of undress. God, she hadn’t even seen Jorris or Dorian shirtless since they were all children.

And this was nothing like looking at one of her brothers.

“The, ah-“ Her voice squeaked and she cursed internally, cleared her throat, and tried again. “The rain is getting worse.” She gestured to the window. “Mother mentioned that you, Thera, and Jackson might actually be stuck here into tomorrow if it keeps up like this. The road will be nearly impossible to drag a coach through.”

She ducked her eyes again and finally actually looked at the papers on the floor. Before they had just been obstacles to avoid slipping on and compounding her embarrassment, now... “May I ask what exactly it is you’re doing?” she murmured, glancing up at him through her dark curls curiously.

Tags: